Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more small indie news

- Slave Zero X has a release date of Feb 21st 2024

- Loddlenaut releases November 16th

- Worldless is moving to November 21st

- Shadows of Doubt is launching its first content update on the 25th of this month called the Cheaters and Liars Update:

quote:

Cheats and Liars introduces a brand new case type - investigating an infidelity. As a private detective, you'll be tasked with looking into suspected sordid relations to track down everything that's been going on in an illicit affair. Investigate the couple’s movements, discover clues, seek out evidence and monitor their actions to determine whether the accused has been unfaithful.

Check into a room in the brand new multi-storey hotel and make use of its facilities - as long as you can pay the bill. Relax at the rooftop bar or marvel at the antique crystal chandelier in its majestic lobby - the hotel is yours to explore. Discover brand new NPC interactions and dialogues, including the option to directly accuse your suspect and place them in handcuffs. But be warned, your suspect might not always take kindly to being accused of a crime...

Track down missing items listed on notice boards and return them to their owners for a reward. Discover an improved game experience with a range of quality of life improvements, including bug fixes, localisation improvements and support for NVIDIA DLSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1703586087245869519?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What kind of idiot would have bought a Unity game developer course last year in an attempt to change careers, and then not touch it (there will be time later!), and now Unity's untouchable for new projects? Not this idiot here that's for sure :(

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

PCGamingWiki has the save file locations: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Yakuza:_Like_a_Dragon#Configuration_file.28s.29_location

To move gamepass saves to steam you'll probably just want to copy paste the files from the Microsoft Store folder to the "Windows" folder. the user id might be different between them though?

That was what I tried before, turns out the saves use a different format for some crazy reason. Ended up refunding the game since I didn't want to start over.

uiruki posted:

When I moved my LaD saves from Gamepass (and Xbox before that) to my Steam install I also had to use a tool to decrypt them. It was fiddly but I got it working using this tool: https://github.com/SutandoTsukai181/yk2_save/releases/

This looks promising, thanks!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

What kind of idiot would have bought a Unity game developer course last year in an attempt to change careers, and then not touch it (there will be time later!), and now Unity's untouchable for new projects? Not this idiot here that's for sure :(
Sounds like you made the correct move in not actually doing the course?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, been posting about it in the RPG thread, but figured that following FutureCop's lead, I might as well try to do a more in-depth write up for the Steam thread of Wandering Sword.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256969733/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1694757714
A wuxia-themed open world RPG, people keep comparing it to Octopath because of the aesthetic style but in truth it's a lot more tactically based, with the battles happening on a grid where positioning determines the outcome of attacks. First thing that comes to mind is Disgaea (without the terrain effects), but I'm sure people will have their own comparison of choice.

PROS

- There is so much content here. I beat the game in 25 hours, and with the exception of a little bit of heavy sidequesting early on, I barely touched most of the optional stuff. And I definitely feel like sidequesting is generally pretty rewarding, although see below in the cons section for complications.

- This is probably one of the best translated/smoothest wuxia games out there for people who like the genre but hate having to deal with terrible translations.

- When you get your engine up and running, you can do stupid nonsense like having half of your party be (admittedly preset) Hidden Weapons users who shoot people with knives, so enemies are uselessly pinned to the floor and can't do anything while your party just keeps shooting at them from a distance with more knives.

- For a surprisingly small amount of gifts you can befriend a lot of people in the game, and then spar with them to get everything back along with their stuff and techniques.

- The way the point system is set up, grabbing every technique you can find of your particular weapon style as well as general method techniques helps boost your stats, even if just a little, so combined with the above gift system, you do really feel like you're always rewarded for running around the wilderness doing random stuff. These two probably are the most unique/atmospheric part of the game.

- There's a good number of people to permanently recruit for your party, game counts something like 14, though I think the game may be stretching it for some of those, and they all come with their own questlines.

MIDS

- The story is pretty standard for the genre, so those looking for something new will be disappointed, but it's fairly well executed.

- You frequently get guest star party members who flip between being more useful than your actual party to weighing you down, depending on what point in the story you're at. Try to take advantage of the former case and keep them out of the active party in the latter case, where possible. Or take 'em to dungeons and buff their stats and gear if you're so inclined. It's not that bad of an idea, as most of them are repeats!

- There's a cap on Stamina used to challenge people to duels/learn techniques/gather resources for crafting, but after a certain point you're making enough money for rests in Inns to recover that it's basically a formality.

- Crafting is good, but kind of requires a decent amount of investment. It's not really necessary to beat the game given how much stuff is dropped on you heading into the final story chapters, but if you want to mess around with high power gear before you're two really big fights (and several minor ones) away from the end, then you'll want to look into it.

CONS

- The PC starts off really weak and apart from a powerful, plot-based support technique, you're left to fend for yourself. And it's going to feel really unsatisfying using him for a long while, especially since the game loves to drag you into mandatory 1v1 fight scenes as part of the plot. He does have the highest uncapped potential in the game though, so if you're patient enough, even this becomes a positive since you get the satisfying feeling of having worked your way up from nothing to being the strongest person in Wulin.

- Because of the game's open structure, it's way too easy to accidentally run into something far above your level and die, and especially for side-quests you will have no idea that this was a bad idea until you reach the fight and are promptly pummeled to death.

- You can do well with any weapon if you're stubborn enough, but certain weapons are very clearly favored by the game. This even extends to the recruitable NPCs, where said weapons still tend to show up more often than others.

- Minor complaints: While there are several different "biomes" included in the game, most are encountered relatively late, so that's a bit disappointing if you were hoping for more variety in locations early on. Given how open the game is, I was expecting the plot to be a little bit less linear, but it mostly stays intact apart from a few small changes based on your actions.

- The game has some problems with the UI and controller support, although the devs have been working to fix that.

To sum up:

Wandering Sword is a beautiful game that rewards discovery, mastery, and being a hobo who hands people chicken and then beats them up for it. There's a couple of ways in which this can be frustrating, especially early on, but it soon passes, and if nothing else being a tenacious bastard who never gives up makes your victory all the sweeter. Game's still running the opening-week-12%-off sale on Steam until the 21st.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How's Lies of P?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I've got a week off from work and am looking forward to sitting down with that "Learn Godot" bundle that HumbleBundle was just doing :toot:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sab669 posted:

I've got a week off from work and am looking forward to sitting down with that "Learn Godot" bundle that HumbleBundle was just doing :toot:

I looked at that bundle and it looks like a random mess of things. Godot 5 is coming out soon, whereas that bundle is half Godot 3 content, half Godot 4 content, and I'm going to imagine there's notable incompatibilities between those versions that merit the separation. So the content is half outdated and the 4-specific content doesn't seem as thorough as the older one.

Well, I'm sure there's still enough material to get a head start on that engine at least. Good luck and don't get distracted from getting it done!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Gonna be hilarious when microthesda releases oblivion remaster right when skyblivion comes out after 15 years in development

Just kidding skyblivion is never coming out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Parallelwoody posted:

How's Lies of P?

I'm really enjoying it despite some bits that feel off. Parry timing, the range of certain attacks.... little things that usually feel "just right" in Dark Souls don't always quite work how I expect them to here. Level design is relatively linear and if you've played Souls you'll know when every single ambush is coming, but the environments themselves look cool, music is fantastic, and I've really enjoyed the boss fights.

Overall feels like it's nothing exceptional, but very competently made and a good Bloodborne tribute. Way better than I ever would have imagined it being when it was announced.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

goferchan posted:

I'm really enjoying it despite some bits that feel off. Parry timing, the range of certain attacks.... little things that usually feel "just right" in Dark Souls don't always quite work how I expect them to here.

I've heard from YT that some aspects of this "off" gamefeel are down to upgrades in the skilltree feeling core and their absence until acquired is keenly noticed - dodge upgrades in particular.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

How's Lies of P?

It's not as good as Fromsoft originals but it's the best feeling 3rd party soulslike I've played. My previous choice was The Surge 2 for comparison. It has some cool mechanics that set it apart a bit from other games in the genre. And the whole Pinnochio thing is novel and fun.

Only big criticism I have is that there aren't many secrets to discover in the levels. They're fine design-wise with multiple organic-feeling shortcuts and stuff like that but I haven't run across much that wasn't on or just to the side of the beaten path.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

I've heard from YT that some aspects of this "off" gamefeel are down to upgrades in the skilltree feeling core and their absence until acquired is keenly noticed - dodge upgrades in particular.

That's correct, yeah-- being able to chain dodge into another dodge, or dodge from a grounded position are upgrades that the game feels weird until you get. Some of the other jankiness doesn't change (as far as I know), but again, been having a great time regardless

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Jossar, with his cool review, has awakened me from my slumber to unleash some little bite-size game impressions:

:cool: Legend of Grimrock 2: As much as I liked Grimrock 1, I never did end up beating it due to it getting a bit repetitive and overwhelming, but with Grimrock 2's diverse world to explore with all sorts of distinct biomes containing intricate puzzles to solve and all sorts of monsters to engage in fast-paced tactical combat, this had me absolutely hooked! An excellent evolutionary sequel and highly-recommended dungeon crawler for fans of the genre. If you like dungeon crawlers like the Wizardry series, Etrian Odyssey, Kings Field and so on, or maybe even exploration/puzzle games like The Witness and La-Mulana, consider giving this a go.

:mad: RAGE 2: I wanted to like this since it has a lot of good Doom Eternal DNA within its combat and can really shine when you're just blazing through a bunch of goons and turning them into paste in creative ways, but unfortunately its core gamefeel has not yet fully developed to the same level of Doom Eternal, and furthermore is not enhanced, but rather hampered by the tedious open world, dumb story/characters, unintuitive menus, and superfluous mechanics like crafting.

:question: EYE Divine Cybermancy: I've tried to play this twice before and both times dropped it in less than 30 minutes, but somehow this time I stuck with it for several hours, fascinated by the bizarre world and mechanics, as well as its strangely addictive combat and all its amusing tools. Still, even despite my new appreciation for it through recontextualizing it as a proto-Cruelty Squad, I'm once again dropping it, this time likely for good. There's a lot of interesting stuff in here and I had tons of laughs at the dialogue and inexplicable 'bullshit! ultra-failed attack!' quips, but at the end of the day it is just so jank and rough, what with its overly-indulgent and laborious to navigate world, unintuitive mechanics, tedious grind to unlock the fun toys, and crazy story. I can definitely see how it would fascinate a lot of people, but you gotta be a real explorer of jank to brave this: I'd say stick with Cruelty Squad, which is way more easier to comprehend (yes, I'm serious).

:cool: Pizza Tower: You really need me to tell you how awesome this game is? Ok, to be fair I will admit it can be a bit rough with how tricky it can be to get used to the speed, crashing and smashing into things constantly, but it's just got so much charm and variety and good gamefeel that make it an absolute delight. I give it the same judgment Peppino gave me when I beat it:

:question: STALKER Call of Pripyat: I think there's a really good game here! Certainly the most accessible and polished STALKER game I've played, but it just didn't grab me for some reason. I don't think it's necessarily the game's fault, but rather an error on mine. For one, after playing games like Into the Radius and the Metro games, it's easy for the game to feel rather outdated and clunky in many respects. I also made the error in playing on Master difficulty right off the bat: to be fair, it is recommended by fans and I typically enjoy hard difficulties like Ranger Hardcore in Metro, but this just felt really bad with sudden one hit kills and combat that's a bit too simple that there didn't feel like a sensible way to get through encounters besides trial and error. That's another thing that got me: for a game about risky expeditions, I didn't like how you can just quicksave at any moment, meaning you can just brute force savescum through anomalies and combat instead of having to strategize (and again, it didn't feel like there was a way to do that anyway). I dunno, games like EYE Divine Cybermancy, Satellite Reign, Pathologic 2 and so on have kind of impressed upon me the power of only being able to save at checkpoints instead of at any time and how it can really increase engagement and immersion.

:shobon: AMID EVIL and AMID EVIL VR: I do like this and all (especially in VR where it feels great to slash the Whisper's Edge), but I gotta admit, even when playing on Evil difficulty as a first-timer, the game just feels a bit too simple and easy. I also am not that much of a fan of the soul charge system. Overall though it is still pretty dang cool, and I should check out the DLC at some point.

:cool: Holocure: The best Survivors game you can buy...oh wait, it's free! Well then what the heck are you waiting for!? Yes, I can understand the game being a bit weird and inside-jokey if you're not into Vtubers, but if you can look past that or embrace it, what awaits is a seriously fantastic evolution of Vampire Survivors with wonderful variety in characters, powers, items, ultimate moves, collabs, levels, progression, and so on: it's even got a little farm where you can decorate your house, fish at the lake or garden if you're exhausted.

Current games I'm going through, among others, are Shadow Warrior 3 and Weird West, both very fun so far. And yes, as recommended to me, I will definitely be checking out Turbo Overkill soon!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 20, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I appreciate just how heavily Lies of P leans in to the Pinocchio thing. Everything from Jiminy ("Gemini") Cricket to being turned into a donkey to "wish upon a star" powering one of your major pieces of equipment is represented in one way or another. The cat, the fox, the fairy - they're all in here. It really goes whole ham with its setting and it rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only Lies of P trailer I can remember seeing featured a last second "witty quip" from what I assume is the Jiminy Cricket character that instantly soured me on everything else I'd just seen. How present is that in the game? Can it be reduced or turned off etc? There are few things I hate in games more than an omni-present "witty" character. It's one of the reasons I gave up on reading the history notes I used to absolutely adore in the Assassin's Creed games but at least that was just text, having it as a constant voice presence is enough to put me off a game entirely.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Jiminy stand-in comments occasionally when you reach new areas and a handful of other times, it’s not remotely regular.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I literally forget he exists for an hour or two at a time and then am like "who the hell is talking" when he pops up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good, well then I will definitely consider Lies of P when I have finished BG3 and Armored Core 6 and Hi-Fi Rush and Like a Dragon and Judgment and Lost Judgment and Like a Dragon: Ishin and Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased his Name and Like a Dragon 8!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

He does remain terminally unfunny and annoying although it seems... Intentional? Kinda? Doesn't make it BETTER that the intent is for him to be annoying but it's there I guess.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ah, the Blood Dragon excuse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Almost everything Gemini says is just a sentence or two of lore backstory stuff like "we better watch out here, something bad happened to these people". I've seen maybe one "witty quip" out of him in the entire game so far and I mean it wasn't funny but it wasn't Claptrap level annoying either.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

He does remain terminally unfunny and annoying although it seems... Intentional? Kinda? Doesn't make it BETTER that the intent is for him to be annoying but it's there I guess.

Your robotic conscience being terminally annoying is kind of funny as a conceptual schtick but for what it’s worth I don’t really think he’s funny or unfunny he’s just kinda there.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Parallelwoody posted:

How's Lies of P?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Parallelwoody posted:

How's Lies of P?

I duct-taped a greatsword blade to a rocket-powered glaive handle and it loving wrecks poo poo

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

note that it's actually a novel take on this rather than just pure clickbait, since the cat will hiss at you until you improve your humanity

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lies of P goes full-on Bloodborne Cosmic Horror as soon as you get past the early puppet parts holy poo poo. This is the first "major" boss you fight (fallen archduke)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that area is where the game really got its hooks in me, the environments are a little formulaic at first but now it feels like it's ready to go some weird places

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Factory boss wasn't a major boss? I had more problems with him than the one in your pictures.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I duct-taped a greatsword blade to a rocket-powered glaive handle and it loving wrecks poo poo

SOLD

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ymgve posted:

Factory boss wasn't a major boss? I had more problems with him than the one in your pictures.

Before they came for the humans, the puppets came for the unions. There is nothing 'major' about the factory boss now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The factory boss didn't have a second phase and a cutscene after it :colbert: unless I'm forgetting it

But technically this is the 3rd or 4th boss that gives you a boss soul so I guess it depends on the definition of major.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the aforementioned cutscene also focused on the parade master, the scrapped watchman and the king's flame so I would say they are all major. They all also have multiple phases, just not multiple healthbars.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm really hoping this game has an underwater area and a giant whale because those are two things they specifically talked about as memorable points in Pinocchio in pre-release interviews

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do you get to kill fascists like in GDT's Pinocchio?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The second major boss is a cop

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The game has a sign saying "APAB" (All Puppets Are Bastards) but apparently it's been removed from the game recently so not sure how to interpret that.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm addicted to a picross game...

A store bundle with a couple of wishlisted games and some other chaff went on sale making it cheaper then buying them individually. One of the extra games was Pickle Cross Adventure.

I thought I'd play a few puzzles as a palette cleanser between other games and now I can't stop. I've always dropped picross games after a couple of hours so I don't know why this one has stuck but I'm now nearing 200 puzzles completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which ended up being better, Steel Rising or Lies of P?