Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You should not feel compelled to design games based on the various personality issues that your playerbase might have imo

That is literally how every single game is designed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Fortunately enough, Silksong has no achievements

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Foglet posted:

Fortunately enough, Silksong has no achievements

It doesn't have difficulty settings either

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah, speaking as a disabled person "game is too hard" is not a disability issue and conflating the two does an immense disservice to features that really are disability issues and should have the force of moral sanction behind them, e.g. colorblind modes, subtitles, text-to-speech, hold/toggle settings, etc.

there's nothing wrong with difficulty settings if they suit the game you're trying to make but there's also nothing wrong with setting an objective bar that players have to improve themselves to surpass. not only because each can be fun in different ways (although there is that!) but also because they mean different things.

imo a lot of this is closely related to a really narrow and restrictive view of failure in games, as something to be avoided at all costs and which games themselves shuffle under the rug as if to say "that didn't happen" rather than exploring it as drama or part of the journey. it's not solely an issue of player perspective -- mainstream games have basically taught people to approach games this way -- but that perspective or culture is, for better or worse, the battleground on which the point is fought.

i often hear "but what about disabled players?" when the game difficulty discourse warms up and while i'm absolutely certain that it's coming from a place of genuine concern 90% of the time it always felt a little gross to me, like they're assuming that people with disabilities have a hive mind or something

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

worm girl posted:

I don't think the best ending to hollow knight is the one where it spends a thousand years in the battle chamber and then kills its sister.

All of the endings are at least a little bittersweet. If you kill the Radiance, you and all of your friends and buddies live, the infection is on purged, but all the bugs lose their minds and society and become normal bugs again, kind of a bummer to me.

If you become the perfect vessel and contain the corruption inside you forever, you get sacrificed for eternity and everyone else is fine potentially including Hornet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its actually really comfy and chill in the vessel chamber

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

worm girl posted:

I don't think the best ending to hollow knight is the one where it spends a thousand years in the battle chamber and then kills its sister.

What are you talking about? Hollow Knight staggers outside, leaning on sword. Hornet is unnerved by this and readies herself. That's all we see. For all we know that's as far as it got. Hollow Knight shouldn't be infected anymore, it has no reason to fight Hornet to the death.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Hoooo. Bapanada

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight has an ending? I thought you just played till you got tired then put it down and started over again a few months later.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the game ends when the protagonist, zote, dies

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

many people are saying this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

All of the endings are at least a little bittersweet. If you kill the Radiance, you and all of your friends and buddies live, the infection is on purged, but all the bugs lose their minds and society and become normal bugs again, kind of a bummer to me.

that’s not how it works. the pale king was the one who granted “mind” to the bugs, and that could just as easily mean he shook them out of worship from the radiance - quirrel’s tie-in comic shows there are bugs outside hallownest who are sapient, and several tribes like the weavers aren’t even native to the place. killing radiance just means she can’t keep zombifying everyone in the city

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, kinda. The Pale King's been what gives the local bugs higher intelligence -- not intelligence, period. If it was otherwise, he wouldn't have those "Higher Beings, these words are for you alone" messages in the edges of the Kingdom -- they're intended to be read by something foreign that's already somewhat smart. And even dead, he still keeps it going through his "beacon". We also know that there are intelligent bugs outside of the Kingdom, it's just kind of tough to keep yourself thinking about stuff other than survival when away from these "beacons." Quirrell suggests as much, and the existence of Farloom having people who talk, who were intelligent enough to capture Hornet underlines it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Unfortunately, everyone who didn't get the Godhome ending is simply a lesser human being.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Arrhythmia posted:

Unfortunately, everyone who didn't get the Godhome ending is simply a lesser human being.

:hmmyes:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Arrhythmia posted:

Getting the Godhome ending is also a hard requirement for unlocking Silksong

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fedule posted:

Earlier I said that this got at like five different nuanced other discussions. Some day I'll write one of those enormous youtube essays about some of them but here's one attempt at a short answer to this:

It would be preferable for the concept of the Platinum Trophy to die at the system level, for it to be removed, for the meter to be deleted, for all records of them to be deleted, for all references to cumulative trophy counts between games to just be permanently destroyed, leaving only the disconnected individual trophies and their rarity stats and possibly the ability for players to pin individual ones they're particularly proud of to their profiles. But before that happens, a thing that an individual game developer can do, powerless as they are to force Sony, MS and Valve to implement this change, is defuse the influence of Platinum Trophy Disease on their games by making it relatively painless to get the thing that increases the number in the system while retaining whatever internal achievement tracking system, including no system at all, the developer thinks is appropriate to their game.

Notably, Sony actually already seems to be starting to do this with their first-party games. It struck me in Horizon Forbidden West that while there are a ton of kinds of open-world activity to do, for almost all of them the only requirements tied to Trophies are to do at least one of each kind, with the rest having only their intrinsic motivations to do.

You didn’t really say much at all here.

You quoted someone asking why and instead answered with “it would be good if it were removed” without actually providing any reasoning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I think the beings whom the Pale King granted intelligence are, specifically, the void creatures he gave form to. Those are the higher beings in question who are recalled to the kingdom.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Megasabin posted:

You didn’t really say much at all here.

You quoted someone asking why and instead answered with “it would be good if it were removed” without actually providing any reasoning.

Pardon me but this isn't at all what was asked of me nor what I answered.

I was asked to justify how I can advocate for the dilution of one kind of trophy by means of making it easier to attain (the Platinum "get all other trophies" Trophy) while keeping another incentive for trophy obsessives (individual, very difficult, for some unobtainable, possibly even bullshit trophies that can be seen outside the game).

My response is, basically, that actually I don't think it should be diluted, but deleted. Despite the bluntness this is a nuanced distinction because diluting the Platinum by necessity requires also diluting the other achievements required to get it while deleting it doesn't. I thought this was implicit in my response. But I also admited defeat; Sony will never unmake the Platinum Trophy and Microsoft and Valve will never remove the Achievement Meter from their interfaces because it serves their interests, so even though I think that's preferable I instead advocate for developers to defuse the lure of externally visible platform-level trophies by making the external metrics easier to complete while retaining internal metrics and achievements as-is. I would like to have both; a world of No Platinums with existing trophies retained as is and for players to negotiate the vaunted Bragging Rights between themselves and developers free to decide for themselves whether Get Every Trophy is an incentive they should even have to permit to exist in their games.

Even more bluntly, I think if the choice is between a system that produces distress for the minority of players who feel unduly compelled to persist at games because of the platform-level metrics and a system that removes the ability for a minority players to more easily prove to others that they have completed certain tasks, the former minority should take precedence. An ideal solution exists that will fully accommodate both but the platform holders won't like it, so here we are.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

If my hours of lore video watching taught me anything is that, well actually it's not 100% clear or consistent.

But the most likely thing is that specifically all the generic bug people started as and become mindless away from Pale King Power. Like all the first areas husk type dudes or the city of tears residence. Most of the bug people that have a very obvious species (and the moss/grass guys who have their own separate deal) seem to naturally have intelligence of their own. Like mantises, spiders, ants, bees, moths ect.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There was a goon in I think the retro gameboy games thread complaining about an achievement in one game being really difficult and it stopped them from getting 100%.

I asked wtf they were talking about because original gameboy games didn't have them as far as I knew.

Apparently there's a website where people make up achievements for gameboy games and using it was ruining their enjoyment of a game they otherwise liked.

Achievements are a blight on gaming.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I like achievements that's just the normal progression stuff so you can look it up on steam and see 57% of people who owned the game never even turned it on to see the main menu or got to the first boss/level.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Achievements are a blight on gaming.

They're actually extremely good because it's very funny seeing people completely melt down over them.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
The F Plus podcast episodes on cheevos is one of the greatest of all time

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't care about the trophies, but it would be nice to actually get all the endings on my own without going full turbonerd. Really I think my issue is mainly that I don't think the mega boss rush poo poo is an actual fun challenge to spend time on, so I would never actually do it. I don't think it's a HUGE issue, though, it would just be nice if it was less extreme.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Achievements are cool in theory but in practice there's almost always at least one awful "grind 20 billion gold" / "beat the entire game on ultra hard taking no damage in under 40 hours" one, or a raft of multiplayer ones for the crap multiplayer mode the publisher insisted they include who's entire playerbase dried up two days after launch.

Every so often I'll get the Plat on a game that had good ones and I'll think "that was pretty fun, I should do this with all my games!" and then two games later I'll be looking at an 80 hour RPG that wants me to do 5 separate complete playthroughs and I'll remember why I don't usually bother

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The only positive of achievements is encouraging players to take on stupid challenges. Half life 2's achievement for getting a garden gnome through the entirety of episode 2 is the peak of game design.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Achievements, imo, are a mixed bag. Some games, you get achievements that are basically "progress through the game, get a non-tedious 100% completion or something, and do a few cool little challenges," and those are pretty good imo. HK falls into that category for me; the achievements list motivated me to try things like Steel Soul or completing the Hunter's Journal that I otherwise wouldn't have done, which was fun. Slay the Spire is another fantastic example (replace "100% completion" with "victory at the max difficulty"); I like the little challenges like "beat a boss on the first turn" and such. Games like these, completing achievements is satisfying and fun.

Other games, the achievements list is so loving bloated that it becomes meaningless; see Binding of Isaac: Rebirth or Civilization VI, for example, which each have literally hundreds of achievements. Other games, the achievements are bad because they require ungodly levels of devotion to complete, for example Super Meat Boy comes to mind, where there are achievements for beating entire worlds deathless, and that's loving insane in a game where it's pretty normal to die hundreds of times on a tough level. Those sorts of things make me sympathize with the "achievements are bad and dumb" crowd. So you really gotta take it game-by-game, and decide whether it seems satisfying and fun for you, and if not, just ignore it.

sirtommygunn posted:

The only positive of achievements is encouraging players to take on stupid challenges. Half life 2's achievement for getting a garden gnome through the entirety of episode 2 is the peak of game design.

Yeah, exactly. Stuff like this is great. More games need achievements like this that aren't incredibly difficult, just really fuckin weird.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think achievements in games like Kid Icarus Uprising and recent RE titles are their best implementation, since they actually unlock poo poo for you.
Honestly, I wish more games would go that route. Just give me a lot of in-game challenges (imo achievements are the best when they ask you to do some weird poo poo, and not just "complete boss 1") and tie-in unlockables and cheats to them. I doubt it would cost much but it's a blessing to shorter titles. I'll never care about getting a Steam achievement for doing something, but if it gives me a new cool hat for the character, sign me in.

And I say this as someone who quite likes achievements, and I even have that Retro Achievements thing installed (to be fair, aside from dumb dopamine release, it's also useful for games you haven't play to check the list and see all the various optional quests and challenges)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DontMockMySmock posted:

see Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

i 100%ed binding of isaac during the pandemic and all this discussion is pointing out to me that i still haven't gotten all the achievements in hollow knight, so i'm gonna do that over the next few weeks

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
SA needs achievements.

1st probe (10th, 100th)
plat account
mod sass
1st ban
self-ban
other persons av
added others to your ignore list
get added to someones ignore list

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fedule posted:

To get the Platinum Trophy on PS requires you to complete the Pantheon of Hallownest. This is utterly insane. (It also requires you to do the Mr Mushroom quest)

I was interested in getting this plat until I was doing Nightmare Grimm and losing to it repeatedly. Then I saw he was the penultimate boss in that Pantheon and I just thought about the sheer investment of time...

They made a different trophy list for the ps4 edition as you allude to, and from what I remember the big difference is that you need 112% on ps4 while the steam version required a couple playthroughs. Would have much preferred the latter because I loved the game itself.

ilmucche posted:

Apparently there's a website where people make up achievements for gameboy games and using it was ruining their enjoyment of a game they otherwise liked.

I checked the site out a while ago (retro achievements) and most of the games I looked at were lists that would make early ps3 era trophy lists blush

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 20, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

I was interested in getting this plat until I was doing Nightmare Grimm and losing to it repeatedly. Then I saw he was the penultimate boss in that Pantheon and I just thought about the sheer investment of time...

They made a different trophy list for the ps4 edition as you allude to, and from what I remember the big difference is that you need 112% on ps4 while the steam version required a couple playthroughs. Would have much preferred the latter because I loved the game itself.

I checked the site out a while ago (retro achievements) and most of the games I looked at were lists that would make early ps3 era trophy lists blush

Nightmare Grimm isn't the penultimate boss :mrgw:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The real final boss of Godhome is Ascended Markoth.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SkeletonHero posted:

The real final boss of Godhome is Ascended Markoth.

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Arrhythmia posted:

Nightmare Grimm isn't the penultimate boss :mrgw:

Oh christ, forgot about pure vessel

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Waltzing Along posted:

SA needs achievements.

1st probe (10th, 100th)
plat account
mod sass
1st ban
self-ban
other persons av

I’m sure there are no problems with this idea, and it could not be used for evil in a way that is immediately obvious in hindsight.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

SA needs achievements.

1st probe (10th, 100th)
plat account
mod sass
1st ban
self-ban
other persons av

Permabanned then re-instated

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Second 100 000 probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-UHoL4GQlU

they should have an achievement for doing this.