Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
going to a whole different galaxy in star wars to try and find a liberal democracy that doesnt suck rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we all know it's just gonna be libertarianism without the icky stuff

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

libertarianism

Oh so that's why the kids are in danger.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
kintsugi stormtroopers might be the ugliest piece of design in star wars history

thrawn is such a dog poo poo character lol... watch out ahsoka, the galaxy's most talented race scientist is out to get you! (race science is real in the filoniverse)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well this was a wonderful and gorgeous episode. Taking the space salmon whale bridge to Middle Earth, meet Saruman's sisters atop a huge Black Tower, and then Thrawn does Ra's entrance from Stargåte on top of it :allears: And Middle Earth is populated by space orcs and down-on-their-luck lobster hobbits living in a trailer park migratory camp :discourse: This is exactly the kind of space fantasy goop I loved about Mando, too. Mikkelsen also does a good Thrawn, he's just a pudgy lil bad genocide man, Himmler schoolteacher-mannerisms and all. Took me a moment to realize he was Putin in House of Cards.

Also, I am pleading dementia here, but was Scrooge McDuck the first Star Wars dude to say the long, long time ago in a galaxy line out loud in live action?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Robot Style posted:

I think the issue is that Star Wars already has off-the-map locations like Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, so having the characters go to a completely different galaxy and not make it any different seems like a waste. It doesn't need to be adhering to different laws of physics or anything, but a planet populated by primitive tribes and nomadic raiders isn't really something that's out of the ordinary for Star Wars, and right now it just seems like the only reason they introduced the other galaxy is to explain why Nightsister magick can do different things than Jedi powers.

When the series has featured extragalactic societies in the past, they've been things that didn't otherwise exist in the Star Wars setting. The Yuuzhan Vong grew all their technology biologically and existed outside the Force. The Abominor and Silentium were mysterious machine cultures that destroyed their own galaxy fighting each other. The Kwa were an ancient precursor race that built stargates instead of using hyperdrives.

Who knows - maybe Skeleton Crew (given that the premise is about a bunch of kids getting lost in space) will explore the new galaxy more and we'll find out that it's actually got a wholly unique society and political situation going on, but so far it's a little underwhelming.

I don't see the issue, it just expanded the universe. We know we can't go to the unknown regions, that's Thrawns crew. You can't exile him at home.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

D-Pad posted:

I see the actor clearly but my brain keeps telling me it's blue Elon Musk

Tealon Musk

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jehde posted:

This was my assumption. I usually hate zombie stuff, but nightsister stuff is different enough I guess, so sure let's have some zombie troopers. The kintsugi gave a great effect to the night troopers though.

I never realized Thrawn's actor was the same voice actor in Rebels for some reason. It sounded to me like he has a bit more of a chiss hiss with his cadence in live action. Makeup and everything is perfect too.

The nightsister ribbons really tie the whole thing together.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That shot of Star Destroyer docking and stormtroopers inside had some very strong Villeneuve's Dune vibes. And nothing wrong with that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Eh, there was stuff I liked in this ep but the big bad reveal did little for me. Blue Man Group Elon looks terrible, his uniform doesn't fit well, and his ship looks to be a bog standard ISD, it's only the cool patch job aesthetic that make it stand out. Yeah, the troops look kinda like 'seen some serious poo poo' badasses but I just don't respect this clown as a big deal at all - If the New Republic can't handle him then maybe they deserve to get wrecked.

The episode looked great, the Nightsisters, Baylan/Shin, and Sabine AHN adventure scenes were far more interesting to me. But the main man is a dud.

jisforjosh posted:

I may be thinking too scientifically about this, but I don't get the complaint about the planet/galaxy being just another planet. That's how the universe works, same basic building blocks following the same laws of physics.

:same:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Thoughts:

* How did those whales decay in space?
* All of this from a concept sketch taht eventually became Darth Maul.
* Sabine could totally fit through that window.
* I really have no desire for building a Stormtrooper, but if I did, it'd be Greek Gold Face Guy.
* That he looks like Blue Elon Musk makes me hate him just that much more.
* Dathomiri hounds!
* Rock turtle dudes!
* "You did *well*" Sabine. C'mon, grammar matters.
* Definitely got the Ezra mannerisms/speech-pattern down, just enough change as an "adult."
* Oh. Are those caskets? They're gonna make Force Zombies.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Parkingtigers posted:

Do you think some of those Stormtroopers are now zombies resurrected by the space witches?

That's the vibe I got, but then why isn't Thrawn, or Ezra dead? Or the little Nito guys? The bandits?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was it Night Troopers?

That's it, thank you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

3 Action Economist posted:

* How did those whales decay in space?
* Oh. Are those caskets? They're gonna make Force Zombies.

1 friction from hyper space? They just pop in as Bones

2 it's mystery box bullshit but if had to guess it's dead witches going to the other witch planet to revive and take over the galaxy. Yadda yadda yadda

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
This was the first ep of the show that I thought was good and even though there was plenty of Sabine being a dumbass stuff, the Thrawn and Nightsisters stuff was cool and I found interesting in design and acting. All the bad guys interacting was a treat because everyone is great. Thrawn’s hosed up forces along with the Frank Miller’s 300 Persian head stormtrooper was a nice touch and made you wonder what all they went through out there even though the planet we see seems like a vey standard Star Wars planet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This episode had probably some of the best looking aliens I've seen since the prequels (especially the rock turtle guys). And yeah, Lars Mikkelsen looks disturbingly like Elon Musk (his acting was still on point though)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Maybe the caskets will be what is used to populate Exegol.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

* I really have no desire for building a Stormtrooper, but if I did, it'd be Greek Gold Face Guy.

That character is going to get so much Cosplay action in the near future.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
What sucks is that Musk is going to be so stoked and embrace the comparisons like all the incels embracing the joker

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
So when does Luke show up and cut all of these fat idiots down

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Luke is shown a redheaded girlfriend in the world between worlds

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the prisoner Ahsoka was transporting in the first episode I think this show takes place either during or after The Mandalorian so Luke might have already hosed off to some backwater planet to try and fail to train a new generation of Jedi (also there was a 7 year timeskip during the same episode)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 20, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Robot Style posted:

I was just thinking those Stormtroopers must be awfully nice handlers for the Howler to be so docile and friendly.

I kinda got the feeling that like dogs, they reflect the energy of whomever's caring for them. The Night Troopers are probably joyless caretakers, whereas it senses Sabine is "different," even if she still is kinda a moody bitch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This episode was definitely a step up from the other ones, for sure. It finally didn’t feel like we were just treading water. It’s just endlessly frustrating that so many streaming shows insist on spreading like 4 episodes of plot into 8, when that’s not necessary.

It’s also strange to me that episode 5 is the one they chose to screen in actual theaters when this episode would have benefited the most from being on a big screen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how much time has passed between ahsoka ep 1 and the last chrono ep of the cartoons

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It occurs to me that another reason for moving the action to an entirely different galaxy is for Filoni to get all his favorite force-sensitive characters safely out of the way of the Sequel Trilogy train barrelling down the timeline toward them. I wouldn't be surprised if the final two episodes consists of making sure Thrawn doesn't get back to the main galaxy, and getting everyone stuck in this new galaxy instead, with any future seasons following on from that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

how much time has passed between ahsoka ep 1 and the last chrono ep of the cartoons
Like 7 years maybe?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Filoni is not running away from the sequel trilogy he is seemingly setting up the world state that will eventually lead to it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

This episode was definitely a step up from the other ones, for sure. It finally didn’t feel like we were just treading water. It’s just endlessly frustrating that so many streaming shows insist on spreading like 4 episodes of plot into 8, when that’s not necessary.

It’s also strange to me that episode 5 is the one they chose to screen in actual theaters when this episode would have benefited the most from being on a big screen.

Wait, the previous episode got a theatrical release? When?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

* Sabine could totally fit through that window.

Haha, I just assumed that the wall of the big Witch building was a sheer face or something because the second I saw that big open hole in the wall I thought,"She could fit through there with space for two more of her!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Wait, the previous episode got a theatrical release? When?

Limited in like 10-15 theaters across the nation. Like an hour before it debuted on D+

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sabine is the one to (loosely) fit into Luke's Zahn-book role, loving off to be preoccupied with the Dark Jedi who has all the answers and the Dark Jedi who she has chemistry with

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

La Louve Rouge posted:

Sabine is the one to (loosely) fit into Luke's Zahn-book role, loving off to be preoccupied with the Dark Jedi who has all the answers and the Dark Jedi who she has chemistry with
Baylan Skoll clearly fits into the fallen Jedi character role from the original Thrawn books too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

La Louve Rouge posted:

I will continue to ship Sabine/Shinn.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Great episode. Loved the music when he came walking out.

Am I the only one that got Elon Musk vibes from Thrawn, appearance-wise?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Great episode. Loved the music when he came walking out.

Am I the only one that got Elon Musk vibes from Thrawn, appearance-wise?
No it’s come up a bunch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dexo posted:

Filoni is not running away from the sequel trilogy he is seemingly setting up the world state that will eventually lead to it.

thrawn's speech about singular mindedness

before he builds a massive navy and it's destroyed by somehow and emo boy

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Guys been wearing the same uniform for a decade “how come it is worn down and doesn’t fit him exactly!”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how is thrawn so clean and everyone else has apparently been on beached space whale carcass demolition duty

one guy is Roman cavalry apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

FlamingLiberal posted:

No it’s come up a bunch

Well, that'll teach me to read the thread first.

Also really impressive they managed to keep Thrawn's suit so clean with the blue makeup.