Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I know Dave literally said that ticket sales don't really matter to the financial future of the company and he's right, they don't, but doesn't he also usually say that the best indicator of how hot a promotion is is it's ticket sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MJeff posted:

I know Dave literally said that ticket sales don't really matter to the financial future of the company and he's right, they don't, but doesn't he also usually say that the best indicator of how hot a promotion is is it's ticket sales?

IIRC I think Dave pointed to ticket sales being a sign of WWE being an extremely hot company, we all rolled our eyes because 'lmao dave loves roman' or whatnot, and then WWE has spent basically the entire time since then watching their TV ratings rise despite TV in general continuing to drop like a rock.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Yes, but it's also a sort of outdated metric because all AEW really needs to do to succeed is keep being better than *Checks notes* Pardon the Interruption and Desperate Housewives. People can do the Impact "1.0, 1.1, 1.0" meme all they want but there was never a point where that was good enough for Impact/TNA to be anywhere near the top program of the night across all of cable. In the current environment it pays to be on top of a mountain of poo poo and that's why AEW is probably the best positioned "secondary promotion" in the "when the primary promotion is hot, the secondary promotion struggles" narrative that there's ever been.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 16, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MJeff posted:

Popularity is one factor in ticket sales and the fact that they give us a hard number means we can use them to measure popularity in some way, but it's still only one factor. You can say WWE's sales increase was a direct result of their popularity because everything else about their tickets was basically the same as usual. AEW has other factors affecting ticket sales (price increases), so you can't use it as a barometer the same way. Correlation does not equal causation and all that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE ticket prices are similar or even higher than AEW's right now. One of the reasons AEW raised it's price is it saw what WWE was charging and wanted that money.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It was probably too early for AEW to go full fleece mode, but we'll see how it works out for them.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1703116458052423949

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
As a person who flies to PPVs and gets floor seats I would like cheaper tickets. Ticketmaster is a major cause for the inflation of prices.

I got front row for Wrestledream for $500 so I don’t think it’s too bad of a price, but not sure how it compares to the rest of the arena. For Forbidden door it was about $250 per ticket midway up the first bowl. In 2020 I remember getting first row for $90 for Dynamite.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ticketmaster sucks so much poo poo, and it sucks equally that there's no other way to buy first-run tickets for stuff other than Ticketmaster. It really is a drag that they've been allowed to get away with charging their insane fees on everything for so long.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ticketmaster sucks so much poo poo, and it sucks equally that there's no other way to buy first-run tickets for stuff other than Ticketmaster. It really is a drag that they've been allowed to get away with charging their insane fees on everything for so long.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the problem that those insane fees get split between ticketmaster and the venue? So venues don't necessarily have a reason to go with another ticket provider.

Like just as an experiment I went online to see about getting indoor football tickets for this weekend. Low demand, still plenty of seats, only 20 bucks. Each ticket has a 7 dollar service fee on top. Then 7 more bucks if I want to get insurance for the ticket.

So I'm between 54 and 68 bucks for two people what's advertised as a 20 dollar ticket.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ZHamburglar posted:

As a person who flies to PPVs and gets floor seats I would like cheaper tickets. Ticketmaster is a major cause for the inflation of prices.

I got front row for Wrestledream for $500 so I don’t think it’s too bad of a price, but not sure how it compares to the rest of the arena. For Forbidden door it was about $250 per ticket midway up the first bowl. In 2020 I remember getting first row for $90 for Dynamite.
Can i have $100

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the problem that those insane fees get split between ticketmaster and the venue? So venues don't necessarily have a reason to go with another ticket provider.

Also some of those fees can sneakily go to the artists too. Not saying thats what AEW is doing here but I've heard that happens, artists get a cheaper ticket price up front for a cut of the fees.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A Fancy Hat posted:

Like just as an experiment I went online to see about getting indoor football tickets for this weekend. Low demand, still plenty of seats, only 20 bucks. Each ticket has a 7 dollar service fee on top. Then 7 more bucks if I want to get insurance for the ticket.

So I'm between 54 and 68 bucks for two people what's advertised as a 20 dollar ticket.

It stinks!

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is actually the worst for me. Can't tell you how many times I've taken the hit on covering ticketmaster fees and other dumb bullshit when trying to see wrestling with my casual friends.

Like yeah, remember when I was getting a head count and said tickets were 60 each? Sorry boys it's now 105 each. Still excited to go?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ibexaz posted:

This is actually the worst for me. Can't tell you how many times I've taken the hit on covering ticketmaster fees and other dumb bullshit when trying to see wrestling with my casual friends.

Like yeah, remember when I was getting a head count and said tickets were 60 each? Sorry boys it's now 105 each. Still excited to go?

The three things we need for better ticket buying

-All In pricing is the law. Fans don't need to know a break down of how the fees work with how they reach the final price. No other industry does this poo poo to this level.
-Make it mandatory for ticket selling companies to offer a fan-to-fan ticket resale marketplace at face value. No more paying fees twice on the same ticket just because someone can't go the the show anymore.
-Eliminating dynamite pricing where a ticket can never be sold by an original vendor for higher than the face value. You can lower the price if nobody buys it, but you can't make it go up because a show is selling out fast.

Seriously, gently caress dynamic pricing. I can't count the amount of times I've tried to get tickets, get the "oops, somebody already selected that seat!" and then go back to the ticket map and the empty seat next to it is now 10x the face value a matter of minutes after tickets going on sale. gently caress that poo poo.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
we should have let eddie vedder kill them all

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ganso Bomb posted:

Way past time for the feds to regulate them like the airlines, the fees are out of control

A Fancy Hat posted:

Depends, some venues charge separately. Either way those fees don't go to the artists, or AEW in this case

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

maruhkati posted:

we should have let eddie vedder kill them all

Or this, preferably.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Tank the tech has a really good video on the vertical integration of Ticketmaster/livenation. They own all the venues, all the ticket services and all the merch companies. The reason they behave the way they do is that the government failed to prevent mergers that gave them a monopoly in live events.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Taylor Swift presale disaster did prompt some initial inquiries into Ticketmaster's practices but alas nothing seems to have come of it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Taylor Swift presale disaster did prompt some initial inquiries into Ticketmaster's practices but alas nothing seems to have come of it.

Ticketmaster probably made sure all the politicians and their friends got the tickets they wanted so it would die down.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1704297006800220325?t=CT7Qz5mLIjO4amR-op3cgw&s=19

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Van Andel looks like it's gonna be kinda empty this weekend, which is nuts considering the matches they've already booked

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1703435334149673417?t=l82c73iaC-kAhT5f9p2_Ew&s=19

Crowd was pretty weak last time with twice as many people

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 20, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Taxman posted:

Van Andel looks like it's gonna be kinda empty this weekend, which is nuts considering the matches they've already booked

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1703435334149673417?t=l82c73iaC-kAhT5f9p2_Ew&s=19

I'm curious to see movement on this one since this post was on Sunday morning, probably before a good chunk of the people who DVRed Collision had watched it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Taxman posted:

yikes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Ticketmaster own most of the venues. Those fees are going to themselves

(Yes it's slightly more complicated because the fees are probably earmarked for venue operating costs but still.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 20, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Collision had stable demo, overall audience grew nicely.

quote:

Backstage promos; Big Bill & Ricky Starks vs. Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli (thru PiP ads) 442K/.16

Big Bill & Starks vs. Danielson & Castagnoli cont.; ad break; Powerhouse Hobbs, Miro backstage promo 431K/.15

FTR vs. Iron Savages, post-match w/ Workhorsemen; Keith Lee, Shane Taylor, Lee Moriarty backstage angle; John Silver vs. Anthony Bowens 461K/.16

Silver vs. Bowens cont. (thru PiP ads), post-match w/ Evil Uno, Max Caster; Eddie Kingston backstage promo; ad break; Orange Cassidy, Hook backstage angle 446K/.14

PB Smooth & Wes Barkley vs. Aussie Open; Aussie Open live promo; Toni Storm backstage interview; Scorpio Sky backstage promo; Sky vs. Andrade El Idolo (thru PiP ads) 485K/.15

Last 2 mins of Sky vs. Andrade El Idolo; Jay White ramp promo; Don Callis, Konosuke Takeshita video; ad break; Shibata backstage promo; The Hardys vs. The Righteous 503K/.16

The Hardy vs. The Righteous cont. (thru PiP ads); Vincent live promo; Kingston, Castagnoli video; FTR backstage promo; Danielson, Zack Sabre Jr. video; ad break 455K/.15

Starks backstage promo; Kris Statlander vs. Britt Baker (thru PiP ads) 489K/.15

Last 3 mins of Kris Statlander vs. Britt Baker 588K/.16

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

I'm curious to see movement on this one since this post was on Sunday morning, probably before a good chunk of the people who DVRed Collision had watched it.

I've been scoping out the map waiting to buy a ticket and it's not much different.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportstvratings/status/1706672358700773639?s=46

against ohio state - notre dame that’s pretty good

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Astro7x posted:

Seriously, gently caress dynamic pricing. I can't count the amount of times I've tried to get tickets, get the "oops, somebody already selected that seat!" and then go back to the ticket map and the empty seat next to it is now 10x the face value a matter of minutes after tickets going on sale. gently caress that poo poo.
The one that pisses me off is finding great seats, only to have them tell you that you can't buy them because it would leave one individual seat in the row, which is "unlikely to sell". That sounds like a you problem, Ticketmaster. I go solo to events all the time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

More like very considering what a barnburner the game turned out to be

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1710078641479061593

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wow, you're telling me no one is buying tickets for a show currently consisting of Toni Storm vs Kiera Hogan and FTR vs Ricky Starks and Big Bill?

I'm curious what the ratings are going to be for Rampage this week. That may have been the least interesting card I've ever seen AEW put on. But it's a competitive category lately.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Wow, you're telling me no one is buying tickets for a show currently consisting of Toni Storm vs Kiera Hogan and FTR vs Ricky Starks and Big Bill?

I'm curious what the ratings are going to be for Rampage this week. That may have been the least interesting card I've ever seen AEW put on. But it's a competitive category lately.

They also announced Eddie Kingston vs. Komander and Bryan Danielson vs. Kyle Fletcher.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Pylons posted:

They also announced Eddie Kingston vs. Komander and Bryan Danielson vs. Kyle Fletcher.

On Rampage?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

On Rampage?

Yes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I think they really need to promote those matches earlier than 10pm the night before the Saturday show. People make plans.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also while it's kinda of a lame PLE they are going up against a WWE show. They need to promote more and probably have a few PPV level matches to fight against it

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1710614243727331688

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1710309177459937692

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1710662265232310644

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1710426053351461097

lomzus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
At what point are they losing money by running events on the road and are better off having a home base back at Daily's Place and only running PPVs on the road?

Taking a 20k seat arena, setting it up for a quarter of that at best, and then barely hitting half of that mark has to be a cash sink.