Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Puppy Burner posted:

Prime Minister famous for his multiple blackface costumes calls out Albertan Milhouse for his use of the n-word. Politics is serious business, for serious adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah that's fine but I meant what is he going to do to distinguish himself from blackface prime minister and accidental n-word opposition leader for the next election, it's gotta be something memorable.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

eXXon posted:

Yeah that's fine but I meant what is he going to do to distinguish himself from blackface prime minister and accidental n-word opposition leader for the next election, it's gotta be something memorable.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Hypothetically, what would you do if you, and I mean hypothetically, I am not saying this happened to me or anyone I know, but hypothetically say I found an abandoned F35. Where could I get a new seat and canopy?

i might have a parts one kicking around in my lot between an old mig and the only arrow to escape destruction. Let me get back to you

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

politics is the entertainment division of the military-industrial complex, and we all know that Canadian arts funding is low…

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

eXXon posted:

Vote lockstep with the blackface guy and run a campaign that will not take votes from blackface guy is my guess

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Puppy Burner posted:

Vote lockstep with the blackface guy and run a campaign that will not take votes from blackface guy is my guess

I hate the NDP so much it's unreal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
CF member spotted

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I hate the NDP so much it's unreal

the ONDP fumbling on the 1 yard line in the Wynne election is why I am probably gonna have to leave Toronto

the other provincial ones aren’t much better. the NSNDP couldn’t even do car insurance but they did find time to pay the Irvings

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

the ONDP fumbling on the 1 yard line in the Wynne election is why I am probably gonna have to leave Toronto

I still don't understand how that happened

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Isentropy posted:

the other provincial ones aren’t much better. the NSNDP couldn’t even do car insurance but they did find time to pay the Irvings

Lol yup Darrel Dexter hosed them up. Chender seems less awful but it's all talk and the Tories will deffo get another majority anyway so whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

I still don't understand how that happened

horwath and the ondp in general have been terrible at actually engaging ontarians in any way. the complete collapse of the olp should have left a massive opening for a center-left provincial ndp but instead they picked up approximately no liberal votes and the conservatives won by default*

also, rae days

*just going from memory, the pcpo didn't pick up many liberal votes either, those people just straight up didn't vote. so the ondp went from third place to second, by virtue of there being only two parties.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Sep 19, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't forget the fast ferry scandal.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hardin should be the guy but he's so timid at reaching for the brass ring.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Don't forget the fast ferry scandal.

if only the provincial ndps could avoid these negative associations that somehow stick to them for more than a generation

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

It really lays bare the media bias when many outlets uncritically repeat Rae days as a concern when the 407, a much larger issue caused by Harris and the PCs, doesn’t get the same treatment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hydro deregulation, too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm bothered that liberals will use this to attack him instead of acknowledging how funny it is

that's the worst thing about canadian politics, no one has any fun with all the stupid poo poo these people do, or if they do it's just in a weird right-winger mean spirited way

Xpforr posted:

[canada] if "live laugh love" was a country.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

horwath and the ondp in general have been terrible at actually engaging ontarians in any way. the complete collapse of the olp should have left a massive opening for a center-left provincial ndp but instead they picked up approximately no liberal votes and the conservatives won by default*

also, rae days

*just going from memory, the pcpo didn't pick up many liberal votes either, those people just straight up didn't vote. so the ondp went from third place to second, by virtue of there being only two parties.

horwath clung to power for so long it's amazing she wasn't ousted ages ago but I guess jagmeet ditching provincial politics as a deupty leader to run for federal politics was a sign the party has truly ossified beyond hope

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Hardin should be the guy but he's so timid at reaching for the brass ring.

I think he recognizes the personal cost and doesn’t want to pay it. maybe that’ll change at some point

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Shofixti posted:

It really lays bare the media bias when many outlets uncritically repeat Rae days as a concern when the 407, a much larger issue caused by Harris and the PCs, doesn’t get the same treatment.

rich people get to use the 407 to their personal benefit so theres no issue to be brought up

the real conflict with the 407 is the people that are pro-407 are typically anti-teacher, yet the 407 makes the ontario teacher's pension plan pure unadulterated BANK so they're really loving confused.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Could also be that he knows his speed and cannot beat centrist Voltron. The problem with relatively short leadership cycles is that the people who were fans of the previous leader are more likely to have memberships and be connected to current party operations, so if you are bringing any change in a short election, you have a major disadvantage.

Also, I would think he would need some supporters in exec roles so the party does not just prevent him from running, BC style if it looked like he was going to win.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

folytopo posted:

Could also be that he knows his speed and cannot beat centrist Voltron. The problem with relatively short leadership cycles is that the people who were fans of the previous leader are more likely to have memberships and be connected to current party operations, so if you are bringing any change in a short election, you have a major disadvantage.

The means tested moderate centrist NDP at the riding level will drive you crazy, for sure. They hold all the levers.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jordan7hm posted:

I think he recognizes the personal cost and doesn’t want to pay it. maybe that’ll change at some point

Harden would be assassinated by the Crown

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

La Louve Rouge posted:

Harden would be assassinated by the Crown

Social Credit is fundamentally about the good of the nation, I don’t see why there’d be a conflict there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
generally the government only tries to kill left-wingers like Tim Buck

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

pp needs to be put on the spot to do Juicy at karaoke…

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Please attend one of these rallies or show support today if you can:

https://ofl.ca/event/no-space-for-hate/

quote:

We are ready to say Enough is Enough; there is no space for hate in Ontario.

Here is a list of known and confirmed peaceful rallies in support of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities that we have received for September 20, 2023.

Please join a rally in your area.

Important: Once there, please follow the lead and instruction of the community group and local organisers at the event. Please heed all security recommendations and stay safe.

Reminder: The safety of participants is the utmost priority.

Do not engage with counter demonstrators.
De-escalate when confronted.
Do not take photos of allies.

All start times are listed in EST:

Barrie
Barrie City Hall, 70 Collier St, Barrie, ON L4M 4T5
10:00 AM

Brantford
Mohawk Park, Brantford, ON N3S 6S5
9:00AM

Burlington
Halton District School Board, 2050 Guelph Line
10:00AM

Cobourg
Victoria Hall, 55 King St W, Cobourg, ON K9A 2M2

Durham Region
DDSB Board Office, 400 Taunton Road, Whitby ON
8:20AM

Guelph
Guelph City Hall, 1 Carden St, Guelph, ON N1H 3A1
8:30AM

Hamilton:
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, 20 Education Court, Hamilton, Ontario L9A 0B9
11:00AM

Kingston:
Confederation Park, Kingston, ON K7L 2Z1
​​9:00AM – 12:00PM

Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge
Kitchener City Hall, 200 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 4G7

London
1250 Dundas Street, London, ON N5W 5P2

Mississauga
Living Arts Drive Between City Centre and Princess Royal

Ottawa
Supreme Court – 301 Wellington
9:00 AM

Owen Sound
808 2nd Avenue East Owen Sound

Sarnia
Sarnia City Hall
255 Christina St. North
8:00 AM

Sudbury
Tom Davies Square (Paris & Brady St.)
8:00AM- 12:00PM

Toronto
Queens Park (next to the boarded-up Statue)

Toronto
Barbara Hall Park
519 Church St, Toronto, ON M4Y 2C9

Windsor
Dieppe Gardens
78 Riverside Dr W, Windsor, ON N9A 0A3
11:00 AM

More events may be added. Please check back or, contact your local supportive community organization or labour council for additional details.

Together, we reaffirm our commitment to fostering safer spaces and building a future for all, based on compassion, truth, inclusivity, and the safety and well-being of every Ontarian.

All working Ontarians are invited to join us to oppose hate, wherever and whenever it appears!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maritime ones too https://wayves.ca/2023-09-counter-protest

Not sure which is right for Hali fyi, the facebook says 930 at the Legislative on Hollis but the site says 9am at Grand Parade. Whatever, they're only a block or two apart so not hard to figure out

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

As an aside, unions need to do a better job of explaining to their members what's going on here and how standing with the LGBTQ movement is both the principled stance and also not a distraction from economic issues like some members have been led to believe.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PhilippAchtel posted:

also not a distraction from economic issues like some members have been led to believe.

They've been led to believe that by liberals openly using the community as a distraction from economic issues.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

They've been led to believe that by liberals openly using the community as a distraction from economic issues.

Yes, this is true. We need our own loving party.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

PhilippAchtel posted:

As an aside, unions need to do a better job of explaining to their members what's going on here and how standing with the LGBTQ movement is both the principled stance and also not a distraction from economic issues like some members have been led to believe.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yes, this is true. We need our own loving party.

There is a party, we just need Zombie Jack Layton to lead it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have to admit I was a bit blown away when I peeked at the big Canadian subreddits and they were calling for the expulsion of all Indians in Canada, including Sikhs.

I did not realize how far along we were on that path.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
the mistake was going in Reddit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

people, in general, are absolute morons

you can't reasonably expect them to understand any of the details, nuance, or even the fundamental basis of the thing they're mad about

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm not surprised that the white supremacist run canadian subreddits are like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/live/1HQrIjd-UUA?si=lYV5J3CKAbxT5BH6

For your viewing displeasure