Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FBS posted:

I want to spend a few hundred bucks on a "normal" lens for the D500 so I can try more subjects that aren't small and far away.

Been looking at the 17-55mm 2.8 and 16-80mm 2.8-4 VR DX zooms, is it dumb to spend that much on crop format lenses? The only half-decent lenses I have so far are the 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Tamron 150-600 G2.

Third party lenses have been mentioned. I'd also recommend checking out used lenses.

The 16-85 is also not bad and I've seen them go rather cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

FBS posted:

I want to spend a few hundred bucks on a "normal" lens for the D500 so I can try more subjects that aren't small and far away.

Been looking at the 17-55mm 2.8 and 16-80mm 2.8-4 VR DX zooms, is it dumb to spend that much on crop format lenses? The only half-decent lenses I have so far are the 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Tamron 150-600 G2.

You should be able to find the 17-55 pretty cheap used, but it's definitely starting to show its age.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

FBS posted:

Only buy pre-owned on that format, you save a LOT due to people dumping gear for upgrade to mirrorless.

The 17-55 is very good but has no VR , is big and is heavy.
The 16-80 got a little panned when it launched cos Nikon wanted over a grand for it. But now you can pick it up used for less than £400 so it's a pretty good purchase if you want a 'do it all' lens. Less sharp than the 17-55 but it's smaller, lighter and has more reach.

I just picked one up for my 3 week holiday later this year so I can just take the one lens instead of a whole bag of stuff.

The sigma 17-50 2.8 that was linked is actually the lens I traded in for it. Its good for the money but I prefer the sharpness of my primes and wanted slightly more each if I was going to take just one on holiday. Still recommended if you're in a tight budget though, I used it quite happily for years.

The sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C is also another one to look at. Not quite as good as the Nikon 16-80 but it's close and can be had pretty cheap preowned.

If you want a completely bonkers suggestion, look at the sigma 18-35 art. Its huge and very very heavy but it's bonkers sharp, sharpest lens you can get for aps-c, it's effectively 3 prime's in one lens and somehow sharper than most primes. Just know you're getting a workout every time you leave the house with it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 18, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm definitely buying used, all my gear has been used and I've been really impressed with the condition of everything from KEH/MPB so far.

Mega Comrade posted:

If you want a completely bonkers suggestion, look at the sigma 18-35 art. Its huge and very very heavy but it's bonkers sharp, sharpest lens you can get for aps-c, it's effectively 3 prime's in one lens and somehow sharper than most primes. Just know you're getting a workout every time you leave the house with it.

This is intriguing and it's right in the price range I'm looking at. Most of the reviews I checked mentioned inconsistent auto focus issues though, which would be a bummer.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On a D7500 I've never had any issues with it. I got it with the usb dock in case I needed to configure its focusing after also being concerned with the reviews but I seem to have lucked out with a perfect copy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zf images leaked.

No control stick? What the hell are Nikon thinking? It was dumb when the z50 didn't have it, but a £2k camera?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Looks a lot like they copied most of the Z30 backplate?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
It sounds more and more like a reconfigured Z6ii with the updated Expeed processor. Nothing wrong with that, but not really exciting, especially for $2,000 or more.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

No control stick? What the hell are Nikon thinking? It was dumb when the z50 didn't have it, but a £2k camera?
LOL nevermind. Who thought this would be OK

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I prefer the D-pad on my Z7II :shrug:

Need to unlearn some bad habits from D750 / D300...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL nevermind. Who thought this would be OK

No idea. You could maybe argue it's not 'retro' but they slapped on an articulated screen which isn't retro either.
I do wonder in Nikon Japan ever get the feedback people in the West give them, when the D7500 launched with 1 card slot every review commented on it, yet they then did the same with the launch of the Z range 2 years later.

Just some very silly avoidable rake steps over the last decade.

Wibla posted:

I prefer the D-pad on my Z7II :shrug:

Need to unlearn some bad habits from D750 / D300...

On a camera costing $2k I expect both options.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mismatched card slots aren't a lot better, though.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Since we're past Dxx anything into Z land maybe a new thread title?

"The Nikon Thread: Retro style costs a card slot and controls"
"The Nikon Thread: The Z8 strap is your hands lol"
"The Nikon Thread: NO IT ISN'T A TAMRON SHUT UP"

Anyways Z9 and Z8 got some x.01 firmware updates that are each just minor bug fixes.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/616/Z_8.html
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/589/Z_9.html

Nikon and Adorama say the Z 180-600 will ship on August 30th while B&H Photo says September 30th :shrug:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 25, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I wonder if the new Tamron 17-50 will show up in a Nikon version. My initial reaction was "meh" until I read that it's full frame. Would make for an amazing travel lens if the optics are decent.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There's a Sony E to nikon Z adapter out there that works pretty well...

Oh and it's f/4 :sun:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have a Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera w/AF-P DX 18-55mm VR and 70-300mm Double Zoom Lens - are there other lenses I should have? I thought about getting a micro 40mm, but I feel like I'd never use it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

the 35mm 1.8 is going to blow your mind.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Slotducks posted:

the 35mm 1.8 is going to blow your mind.

Ah - I had just been looking at that lens exactly.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
It’s outstanding and you can get one for about 100 bucks, which in photography dollars is a steal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you do want to get a macro lens, I'd recommend something in the 90 mm range instead. And make sure to look at the second hand market.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 85mm macro dx lens has been great for me with my older D3200, and is pretty affordable.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

:wtc: is up with Z 180-600 pre-orders? Did someone at BHPhoto piss off Nikon?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have the 1.4x or 2x Nikon Z teleconverter? I've got the 100-400 lens and I'm curious how it'd feel at 200-800.

I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAOPEBpJ78s

And his claim is that a cropped photo, with lower ISO, shot with the 100-400 is going to be better than a 200-800 photo. $600 is pretty steep if there's not really a difference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well there’s a haircut I’ve not seen in a long, long time.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

huhu posted:

Anyone have the 1.4x or 2x Nikon Z teleconverter? I've got the 100-400 lens and I'm curious how it'd feel at 200-800.

I just watched this video

And his claim is that a cropped photo, with lower ISO, shot with the 100-400 is going to be better than a 200-800 photo. $600 is pretty steep if there's not really a difference.

I have the Z 1.4 and the Z 100-400 although I haven't used them together very much so far. Hair guy isn't wrong in the assertion that a teleconverter is costing stops but he's also burying the idea that it's fine depending on use case because if he doesn't panic about this and make the molehill a mountain The Algorithm won't give him those sweet sweet views. Just like lenses it depends on what you're using it for and what you do with the shots. Good lord no one tell him about extension tubes for macro.

My 1.4 is mostly sitting around waiting for the 180-600 to show up. Here are some shots I was able to find where it was on with the 100-400, I'll go pop it on and try to snag a few later today or tomorrow and post them:

Beyond losing stops I would agree with him that it introduces some softness which is something to consider.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

1/100 F8 ISO 400 across the board. Z8 body produced uncropped JPEGs on "normal". Apologies that I nudged the tripod head a bit between the pairs:

100-400 w/ 1.4 @ 140mm
100-400 /w 1.4 @ 560mm
100-400 @ 140mm
100-400 @ 400mm

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2023

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

1/100 F8 ISO 400 across the board. Z8 body produced JPEGs on "normal". Apologies that I nudged the tripod head a bit between the pairs:

100-400 w/ 1.4 @ 140mm
100-400 /w 1.4 @ 560mm
100-400 @ 140mm
100-400 @ 400mm

Sweet thanks!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ok the Nikon DF ZF is actually more than just a z6ii in a different body. Curious how well it will do.

The black and white switch is kinda cool.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 20, 2023

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mega Comrade posted:

Ok the Nikon DF is actually more than just a z6ii in a different body.

You mean Nikon Zf?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol yes, the ZF.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Preordered with the 40mm lens, though I really wish it came in classic black/silver. I've been using this D750 for a long time now, so hopefully it'll feel like a nice upgrade

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Let us know how you like it. I’m sure it will feel fun and fresh compared to the D750.

I really want the reviews to be positive because it does feel a bit like a rehash of a three-year-old camera, but maybe the user experience is a joy.
I’m also curious how the autofocus borrowed from the Z9 works in the real world. If it’s close it’s a great buy at $2K.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Let us know how you like it. I’m sure it will feel fun and fresh compared to the D750.

I really want the reviews to be positive because it does feel a bit like a rehash of a three-year-old camera, but maybe the user experience is a joy.
I’m also curious how the autofocus borrowed from the Z9 works in the real world. If it’s close it’s a great buy at $2K.

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how the autofocus works as well. If this turns out to be a 24MP junior Z8 with slightly slower framerate $2k is a smokin' deal.

Looking at the forums and articles there's not the usual amount of bitching about how Nikon have completely failed everyone once again so they must've done something really right with this one.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Still disappointed they didn't add a joystick but apparently you can set a control on the screen, which was something I think the d5500 can do.

Would have preferred a non flippy screen though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 20, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This bodes well for Z6 III :sun:

Also trying to sell my D750 and some people are absolute jackasses trying to lowball with imaginary competing offers and poo poo. Like what the gently caress.

At this point I might just keep it (it's mint, works fine), and just use it with my old 85mm f/1.4D and my vintage Tokina AT-X 80-200 f/2.8... not like I need the $750 or so I was looking to get for it anyway.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can you even get $750 for a D750 these days? I see "like new" ones going for around $500-550 here in Sweden now. Still a great camera.

Prices overall are trending real low on photo gear here lately. Bought a really nice Leica MDa with Voigtlander 15mm and finder for $500 last week.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some photo gear has dropped off a cliff, but the D750 still sell around that here, somehow. KEH and MPB are also up around $700-800+ depending on condition. This camera has basically no wear and less than 15k shutter count, so :shrug:
Got a guy "thinking about it" at 7500 NOK right now, so we'll see?

The Z7 II that I bought in June was pretty cheap, I landed at 25k NOK ($2300ish) for the camera, battery grip and a 24-70 f/4 S lens, which is a steal, but that camera is well used with >150k shutter count and it looks like it has been to war :eng101:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

D750 is starting to hit £500 in the UK, probably because it's being pushed down by the Z6 which you can get in good condition for only £750.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Looking at the forums and articles there's not the usual amount of bitching about how Nikon have completely failed everyone once again so they must've done something really right with this one.
The lack of joystick is the only obvious one to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Going to preorder one for my dick around camera. Fixes the major issues I had with the ZFC.

Also super keen to try out that -10ev auto focus. That sounds a bit absurd but fun.