Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

All I could think of with the episode:

https://youtu.be/m91RyN9mcuQ?si=Wrlf3KLKBPhZI5UZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was bad and they should feel bad

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfGeGYe-lY

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why are the writers so opposed to using the setting to tell sci-fi stories?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
A couple bits were fine, but I don't understand the glue scenes. They didn't contribute anything. Every time they try this without the what if machine, it sucks. Like, really sucks. Sucks bad.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first one's like...a metaphor for what's going on in the A plot, and then the other two are just there? This episode feels like a fever dream, but not the cool type of fever dream. Instead it's a series of half-ideas from the cutting room floor pasted together into something that feels like a stress nightmare.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What if we tried a what-if episode without the what-if machine? :derp:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
That was dumb as hell but as a result it kind of worked for me. Kind of an anti-episode maybe? Self parody beyond self parody?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sardonik posted:

That was dumb as hell but as a result it kind of worked for me. Kind of an anti-episode maybe? Self parody beyond self parody?

The ending definitely feels like that, as does the entire frame narrative, kinda. It feels like it's poking fun at "generic Futurama plot", where Leela and Fry's relationship is threatened by a shenanigan and then Fry proves his love for her/there's a twist demonstrating why Leela's new love interest actually sucks, but I don't think it does any of that well at all. Mostly because it spends a solid seventeen minutes going "hey, remember Hot Wheels? From childhood?" and parodying the idea of rubber ducks existing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That was just loving awful.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Dongicus posted:

Someonr on thr futurama has a cuck fetish becsuse theres been like 50 plotlines abt it that arent just hermes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wtf was that. why did they make leela cheat on fry again. and what was that weird egg poo poo. this episode was weird af

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

wtf was that. why did they make leela cheat on fry again

Obviously the prince of space was just too good a plotline to throw away

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like I get what they were going for, but I don't get why you'd waste an episode of your twenty episode order, after ten years of being cancelled for this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure what they were going for with the framing "episode" was that it was an ultra shlocky, soap-opera esque version of Futurama and you were watching that and the commercial breaks that go with it, which were another version of the "what if?" machine. Perhaps it should have had an alternate opening sequence than the usual one to better clarify this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Very weird episode. On the one hand I didn't find it as painfully unfunny as "Saturday Morning Fun Pit." But on the other hand, they already made that episode and should have learned why that one didn't work. (yes, I know, "should" is one of those fun concepts that doesn't end up applying to real life)

This is such a weird season. There have been a couple of good episodes, but the rest have been "What's the hot topic du jour of this week in 2023, when we wrote this episode? Awesome, let's do that but in the year 3023!" And then there's this one. I don't know how anyone could think that this is what anyone wanted.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Was there a contest in a kids magazine to write a episode of the show or did the ex-Harvard writers take cues from their earlier brethren and take enough hallucinogens to kill small to medium size animals?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm pretty sure what they were going for with the framing "episode" was that it was an ultra shlocky, soap-opera esque version of Futurama and you were watching that and the commercial breaks that go with it, which were another version of the "what if?" machine. Perhaps it should have had an alternate opening sequence than the usual one to better clarify this.

Yeah, I honestly kind of liked it, but I had the bar set low by seeing all the reactions in here.

I like the idea of there being the hints of a sweeping dramatic story that actually only lasts two minutes because the ad breaks are so long. Could have used some tidying up in parts, but there was nothing in there that felt nearly as terrible as some of the lowest of the Futurama lows. I definitely liked it more than Rage Against the Vaccines.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
"I'm 40% aerodynamic!" "THAT'S NOT AERODYNAMIC ENOUGH!" got a pretty big laugh out of me.

Also more turducken humor??

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, this episode wasn’t bad, but it feels like a reaction to the later-era anthology of interest episodes. Definitely felt more true to the earlier seasons of the show with a lot of the side quipping. Could stand to rely on more sci fi concepts, but eh. 11 more episodes to actually get around to that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nichael posted:

Why are the writers so opposed to using the setting to tell sci-fi stories?

But Leela was under a science spell, you see it was very scifi after all.

The "Round Wheels" episode kinda amused me, but I'm a car enthusiast so I was just amused that Leela's a 911 and Fry's some random rear end wagon (as a wagon-haver). But the actual musical jingles for the commercials themselves were terrible.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 19, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
"And now, what's left of Futurama!"

Hey, they said it, not me.

edit: I'm also annoyed that they reused the "mumbo? perhaps. jumbo? perhaps not!" joke from the Werecar episode.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2023

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

In my view, weakest episode of the season. Couple of good individual jokes (40% aerodynamic, and science spell).

But it certainly felt like a "what the heck did I watch?" episode, and not in a good way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really felt like they had two scripts, the Prince of Space conflict and the toy anthology but neither one was long enough for a full episode so they just combined them together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you can't think of a joke, it's always best to remind the audience of the time when you were able to come up with jokes and reuse one.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Man, all the non what-if-machine trilogy episodes have been dire. I guess this one was slightly better than the Christmas and Saturday cartoon episodes, but that's a ground level bar. This felt like an episode designed to have a DVD commentary where the writers tell you that this episode is actually super meta all the supposedly huge fans of the show just don't get it, except DVDs don't exist anymore so they just made the glue scenes extra stupid to hammer the point home. The ending kind of felt like that old meme "Joke's on you, I'm only pretending to be (slur removed)."

I will say I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode though. Seems they saved their one actual good sci-fi idea for the end.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Bite my shiny metal... ah forget it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Why was the Cars parody also a The Ring parody?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Wheels and rings are both round things.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Why was the Cars parody also a The Ring parody?

Why would Zoidberg be killing random people if his whole goal was to merge all the Planet Express crew

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Why would Zoidberg be killing random people if his whole goal was to merge all the Planet Express crew

Covering his tracks :dadjoke:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For me it felt like they had the hotwheels song
And they decided to make an episode around it but couldn't quite manage it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I kinda liked this one. Maybe because it was the only one so far that didn’t feel like a sequel to a classic episode or maybe my brain is just broken.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, like others have said it had one or two really silly lines but other than that, nothing about it worked for me. The idea of "these are toy commercials during a soap opera version of Futurama" really needed a reason for Futurama to be a schlocky soap opera because without it, there was no reason for it to be that way. I just kept waiting for the shoe to drop on why the A plot was so over the top ridiculous and it never came.

Like imagine if they had pulled back from the final shot and had them gathered around the What If machine and someone said "And that's what it would be like if an AI wrote a show about our life"! Or even if it they just had someone turn to Zoidberg and say "See.. that's why we ever let you use the what if machine!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I do not ask what the gently caress was that. I ask why the gently caress was that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

angerbot posted:

"And now, what's left of Futurama!"

New thread title.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Toy episode was a flaming load of garbage, but I did have to laugh at the absurdity of the post-battle image of the duck and egg corpses littering the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Are we sure that episode wasn't written by AI? Incomprehensible.