Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aside from what a horrible thing this is to say, the last time a nailed on win labour leader died before they could win an election we ended up with blair so...

PM Streeting, here we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If I can I'm going to vote Green next election. Labour if I can't :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aside from what a horrible thing this is to say,

Agreed. Keith shouldn't be allowed to slip out of this mortal realm so easily without answering for his crimes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aside from what a horrible thing this is to say, the last time a nailed on win labour leader died before they could win an election we ended up with blair so...

Honestly, Starmer is promising even less than Blair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly, Starmer is promising even less than Blair.

Starmer and his faction are the political equivalent of cordyceps. A fungus that has taken over the mind of the workers and is now driving the body as high as it can go so it can commit suicide and reproduce itself.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1704421344035610789

Genuinely surprised to see this happening :toot:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Wasn't this the one where the family made a big fuss, watched the dashcam footage, then went very quiet?

Wonder what changed their minds but wasn't story enough to deter the CPS from charging.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 20, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think they're trying to defuse the report yesterday that said you could staff an entire regional police force using only Met officers who were suspended or put on restricted duties.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Don't tempt them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Still hope he dies before the next election.
If he did, we'd just end up with Streeting, hope is well and truly gone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

I think they're trying to defuse the report yesterday that said you could staff an entire regional police force using only Met officers who were suspended or put on restricted duties.
This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/police-met-officers-suspended-or-restricted-duties

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's the one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In lighter news, everyone south of Scotland is choking to death on fossil fuel particles https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/20/revealed-almost-everyone-in-europe-breathing-toxic-air

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

streatham hill my dude!

i was hanging around the CLP's left faction for a few months after corbyn stood down in their eternal war against the right-wing dickheads running the show locally, but i got exhausted by it all pretty quickly (covid & mental health etc didnt help)

i might vote green but it really depends on the candidate and how terfy the party is in general

Oh god the dickheads.

I was there the night The Left took over the AGM. Chuka turned up and stood at the back looking all aloof and smug, like the working of his own constituency was beneath him.

The meetings were enjoyable but seemed to be very naval gazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

In lighter news, everyone south of Scotland is choking to death on fossil fuel particles https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/20/revealed-almost-everyone-in-europe-breathing-toxic-air
Nuclear accident that might knock 4 weeks off of your life: poo poo pants, relocate everyone, beat people if they won't leave, kill thousands, ban all new nuclear in Europe by giving billions to the coal lobby.

Fossil fuel pollution knocking a few months off of people's lives: eh we might do something by 2050 if it's not too hard

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jedit posted:

I can't wait to finally see the sequel for Hot Fuzz :neckbeard:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NONS: Suspended Officers Unit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The police, who investigate crime, and the district attorneys, who prosecute the police officers. These are their stories. :doink:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
it is pretty smart of the police to do so many crimes and so keep themselves in a job

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Nenonen posted:

In the criminal justice system, the people are repressed by two separate yet equally important groups: The police, who do or facilitate the crime, and the district attorneys, who refuse to prosecute the police officers. These are their stories. :doink:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Who needs GBNews when you've got Madeley.

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1704375936496316682

Firing Piers Morgan and instead getting Madeley to do his best Piers impression to an actual head of state.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Firing Piers Morgan and instead getting Madeley to do his best Piers impression to an actual head of state.

Is he actively trying to be Alan Partridge now? It's just uncanny how every enunciation, mannerism and gesture is pure Coogan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how there's even an argument here. You can debate that (as Touré Reed does) race reductionism within a society and demanding reparations from working class whites is likely to lead to resentment and be counterproductive compared to broad social programs, but when you have one of the world's most documented family lineages, the paper archives of the Royal African Company, and the colonial charters of British Guiana, the only debate is "how much".

"The Royal Family will investigate whether it has links to slavery" is as much wishy washy nonsense as "the Royal Family will investigate whether it has links to Buckingham Palace."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sure, there's an argument for slavery reparations, but whatever that figure would be is vastly outweighed by the benefits empire brought to the world.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Watch as I theatrically pound the table in front of the brown to let him know what we think of Heads of State from those countries.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sure, there's an argument for slavery reparations, but whatever that figure would be is vastly outweighed by the benefits empire brought to the world.

Hot take alert

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

a lovely king posted:

Hot take alert

NJAN99 knows what he's doing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I can see the argument for slavery reparations but if we're going to give a lot of money away can we at least get some people in return, to do like chores and stuff

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guyana is fun when it comes to slavery chat, because it's one of the UK carribean colonies, that after slavery was banned and the African slaves freed, the local aristocrats started shipping in slaves indentured servants from India instead to do all the jobs that the freed slaves didn't want to do because they were more poo poo than subsistence farming. Of which there were plenty of willing signups for, given the economic state the British Empire was putting India in.

Which means in the modern day Guyana has roughly equal numbers of African-decended and Indian-decended citizens, and the political discourse is between those two groups. And the remains of the local indigenous people are outnumbered by colonists once again, except this time the colonists didn't want to be there. Everyone has reason to hate us!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Microplastics posted:

NJAN99 knows what he's doing

have you not been reading his house-building thread

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mebh posted:

Thanks to the poster who pointed out covid jabs are now available.

Got both COVID and flu shots yesterday.

Now if only I could stop wanting to feel like I want to die as I lie here shivering, unable to move either of my arms.

:shepicide:

Far less bad than either the flu or any form of covid mind, which everyone seems to be coming down with at work again now the weather has turned.

Small consolation and random garden report , I have harvested all the chillies I planted now and there shall be much pickling and tasty curries.
The poblanos didn't grow big enough this year as I need a much bigger pot, but they're bloody tasty, and I made possibly the tastiest curry I've ever made by combining home grown padrons with a Madras to make a sort of Jalfrezidras. Do recommend!

Not too impressed with basket of fire chillies, pretty plant, high yield, underwhelming chilli. Padrons, Birdseye and Poblanos all totally worthwhile in the UK. Everything else died.

Also tried growing a few exotic herbs like perilla leaves , first 30 seedlings failed even in heated trays apart from two which a cat then ate.

Congrats on the vaccinations! I'm "not currently able to book an appointment" :(. My husband has covid right now, which has already upset my birthday celebrations last weekend, and will ruin his birthday celebrations this weekend. At least he doesn't have a severe case.

Congrats on your pretty chilli harvest too :3:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goondolences on your lurgy birthdays.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One of Tories’ biggest ever donors profited from £135m of NHS contracts

whaaat nooo waaaay posted:

One of the Conservatives’ biggest ever donors has profited from £135m of contracts with the Department of Health and Social Care in under four years.

Frank Hester, a healthcare tech entrepreneur whose company supplies computer systems to the NHS, gave Rishi Sunak’s party £5m this summer - the joint biggest donation to the Tories in decades.

His company, the Phoenix Partnership (TPP), paid out more than £20m in dividends between 2019 and 2022, with Hester the only shareholder.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Tesseraction posted:

His company, the Phoenix Partnership (TPP), paid out more than £20m in dividends between 2019 and 2022, with Hester the only shareholder.

Is this a fancy way of saying Hester got £20m? He must have done a really good job!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every time Iearn anything about shareholder dividends it seems more and more like a massive scam.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Nenonen posted:

Is she counting migratory birds as refugees?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Every time Iearn anything about shareholder dividends it seems more and more like a massive scam.

I got about €20 in shareholder dividends this year, get on my level

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sunak is Doing A Speech at 4:30

Will he announce a snap general election?

No.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

*farting noises*

:hai: hmm very electable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I got about €20 in shareholder dividends this year, get on my level