Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medullah posted:

Most streamers I watch don't do SWF. I generally watch them only doing killer because that's what I play 90% of the time, but when they do survivor they are rarely with other people, or maybe just one.

I mean that's you selectively watching certain types of streamers lol. it's not uncommon for survivor main streamers, especially the casual ones, to play exclusively SWF. Whether that's just one other person or a full swf depends on the streamer but it really takes a certain type of player to have the mental for solo survivor queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil Kit posted:

I mean that's you selectively watching certain types of streamers lol. it's not uncommon for survivor main streamers, especially the casual ones, to play exclusively SWF. Whether that's just one other person or a full swf depends on the streamer but it really takes a certain type of player to have the mental for solo survivor queue.

I suppose. The survivor mains that I do catch from time to time (Ayrun, JRM, Angrypug) all play solo when I watch them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

Most streamers I know at least have a community day, but even then they don't often use comms unless they really trust who they're playing with. If somebody says a Heated Gamer Word it's on them, and more than that I've seen randos on comms try to take over the stream for lack of a better term, talking over the streamer and whatnot. Also comms are distracting if the streamer wants to interact with their community.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medullah posted:

I suppose. The survivor mains that I do catch from time to time (Ayrun, JRM, Angrypug) all play solo when I watch them.

I think it's more of a casual small/medium streamer thing in general as I mentioned. also cause they're using SWF to prop up their mediocre skills.

Dawgstar posted:

Most streamers I know at least have a community day, but even then they don't often use comms unless they really trust who they're playing with. If somebody says a Heated Gamer Word it's on them, and more than that I've seen randos on comms try to take over the stream for lack of a better term, talking over the streamer and whatnot. Also comms are distracting if the streamer wants to interact with their community.

ya I'm aware. most of the time the regular SWF survivors are playing with long time friends or a regular group they nominally trust.

personally speaking survivor is just only fun with friends imo, it's pretty boring otherwise and a pubstove experience.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

personally speaking survivor is just only fun with friends imo, it's pretty boring otherwise and a pubstove experience.

Yeah I will only do survivor solo queue if I'm trying to get a tome challenge done. It's generally not fun for me. Ironically I escape a lot more doing solo queue because gently caress my teammates, and my MMR is lower than my friends I play with.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone play DbD on a 34" or ultrawide monitor? I bought one recently to hook up to my laptop and it's really jarring going from 15.6" to 34". I mean, it's easier to spot the survivors, but I think mainly what's loving me up is that the survivors look so huge close up so I'm mistiming my swings for when I think I'm close enough but not really.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 20, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ultra wide seems like it’d be kind of a nightmare with the tiny fov

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does anyone play DbD on a 34" or ultrawide monitor? I bought one recently to hook up to my laptop and it's really jarring going from 15.6" to 34". I think mainly what's loving me up is that the survivors look so huge close up so I'm mistiming my swings for when I think I'm close enough but not really.

I use a 34" monitor, but I always have. It took me some time to get used to it since the HUD is so tiny (I was actually using an app to magnify the score events on the top right of the screen) but I eventually dropped that and just got used to it.

They've made a lot of QOL changes to the UI over the years, most recently allowing 120 FPS without editing an INI file, I'm hoping they allow us to scale those a bit more in the future.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of why I don't play a lot of DbD these days is the hoops I've had to jump to in order to make the game playable on my last two monitors- a Samsung Odyssey 9 (5120x1440) and a 4k TV, neither of which are resolutions DbD supports gracefully without doing settings.ini edits, changing Windows settings before and after play, and finagling physical device settings after launch. The Odyssey especially didn't like DbD at ANY resolution and required looking through technical advice for a solution.

It's not a TON of work every time, but it's pretty funny how much of a deterrent is to have to spend a couple of minutes before and after a session playing with poo poo when I can just boot something that works out of the box.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 20, 2023

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I was gonna buy this a month or two ago and steamcharts said there was only two players online :/

platform exclusives are suck!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fleetwood posted:

I was gonna buy this a month or two ago and steamcharts said there was only two players online :/

platform exclusives are suck!!

I keep hearing people say this but imo a lot, lot fewer people care about what storefront a game is on than is what is claimed. It died out because it had gameplay issues, not because they made the cardinal sin of shunning our sacred Steam

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I keep hearing people say this but imo a lot, lot fewer people care about what storefront a game is on than is what is claimed. It died out because it had gameplay issues, not because they made the cardinal sin of shunning our sacred Steam

It probably hurt discoverability for low info normie gamers a bit but the game had crossplay and still died so yeah I agree it wasn't just due to EGS.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

I dunno, a lot of folks did seem to go 'I'll wait until it's on Steam' or more accurately 'ew, Epic' because brand loyalty is a poison.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair, it was only PC exclusive to Epic, and hit Steam about a year after - you could still get it on console. But I do agree that hurt it - I have a friend that refuses to use Epic (he bought Dead By Daylight instead of getting it for free on the EGS when they offered it).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will never understand the extreme brand loyalty to steam. Valve has sucked so much for longer than they were cool lol.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can't be bothered to check multiple launchers. That's it.

I turn on my PC once or twice a day, steam launches, slide down my wishlist and any meaningful game patches and other launchers don't exist in my brain.

I think there's a principle of ease of access where even a single utterly trivial ask is worse than pure convenience with no hurdles, even small ones.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

You can create desktop shortcuts for your games. That's even easier than launching Steam first, and it allows you to be platform-agnostic.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me, sitting in chair with my belly propped up and crumbs rolling down it: :effort:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I can't be bothered to check multiple launchers. That's it.

I turn on my PC once or twice a day, steam launches, slide down my wishlist and any meaningful game patches and other launchers don't exist in my brain.

I think there's a principle of ease of access where even a single utterly trivial ask is worse than pure convenience with no hurdles, even small ones.

At the same time if we're talking about Joe Normal then he probably would have seen the ads for the game before it came across the storefront, they did put out a good amount of ads.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I know it's to mimic the movie but the wobble cam as Demon seriously gave me motion sickness, which I've never ever gotten in a game before lol.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How toxic are the players in TCM relative to DbD? Is there an FOV slider? I'm quickly becoming reacquainted with how lovely players can be in DbD and it's sucking my initial enthusiasm on top of the big screen issues. If TCM scratches a similar itch without these issues I'd rather play that instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’re the same players.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Will never understand the extreme brand loyalty to steam. Valve has sucked so much for longer than they were cool lol.

And Epic gave me Alien Isolation for free.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

One big factor in Steam being mega-preferred nowadays is the Steam Deck. While you *can* get EGS and other launchers working on it, it's sometimes a pain in the rear end and very much not "plug and play".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Medullah posted:

One big factor in Steam being mega-preferred nowadays is the Steam Deck. While you *can* get EGS and other launchers working on it, it's sometimes a pain in the rear end and very much not "plug and play".

Sure, now, but it's still not widely used and definitely was more niche when The Evil Dead game came out.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think for me a year ago, I already had Xbox PC, Blizzard, and GOG and didn't want to add another platform. It was so fragmented that I ended up just buying a PS5 and downloading my old PS library

Poor gameplay really is the killer tho. For all its strange tiks, DBD has pretty simple mechanics I think, and it clicks in satisfying ways. I never got around to playing Evil Dead but it at least seemed to have the right aesthetic vibe. I thought Friday the 13th was a lot of fun but it was also clunky sometimes. It was more fun than DBD tho in that players didn't seem to take things too seriously. I always went in expecting to get wrecked in F13. The relationship with the killer-player in DBD is a lot different

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

for me at least it isn't brand loyalty, it's the fact EGS took so loving long to get even bare minimum parity that it left a sour taste in my mouth. Specifically cloud saves.

leaves a real sour taste in your mouth when a game you've sunk 40+ hours into has all the progress wiped because you needed to change PCs and you discover on the reinstall all your progress is gone.

I'd also chalk "why can't it be on Steam" to inertia of having all your games in one place and not wanting to put any :effort: in to get games elsewhere.

edit: imagining booting up DbD and losing the 1000 hours of effort put in, egh.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Evil Kit posted:

for me at least it isn't brand loyalty, it's the fact EGS took so loving long to get even bare minimum parity that it left a sour taste in my mouth. Specifically cloud saves.

leaves a real sour taste in your mouth when a game you've sunk 40+ hours into has all the progress wiped because you needed to change PCs and you discover on the reinstall all your progress is gone.

I'd also chalk "why can't it be on Steam" to inertia of having all your games in one place and not wanting to put any :effort: in to get games elsewhere.

edit: imagining booting up DbD and losing the 1000 hours of effort put in, egh.

To further this, I also don't like epic doing the lovely thing of paying for exclusive rights to a game. Let me use whatever launcher I want (steam is miles better than epic, and I don't care if it once was bad, like what kind of braindead take is that?). PC is an open platform and epic is fighting to make it more console exclusive-ey and that's lovely.

Also metrics were leaked at one point and most games on epic barely sell at all, it's a colossal failure but they are still eating loss trying to ingratiate people on their platform.

I'm fine with epic being it's own storefront, I'm not cool with them gobbling up interesting titles so I have to use their awful platform.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How toxic are the players in TCM relative to DbD? Is there an FOV slider? I'm quickly becoming reacquainted with how lovely players can be in DbD and it's sucking my initial enthusiasm on top of the big screen issues. If TCM scratches a similar itch without these issues I'd rather play that instead.

The thing with TCM is that there’s 3 killers. That means that a) the devs don’t have to maintain a base where survivor is 4x as popular as killer to make the game work and b) you’re not exclusively to blame if a round goes wrong. Bullying a killer is a bit more risky when the dumb Family scoring means that they’re encouraged to dogpile.

Leatherface is just a bundle of weird design choices, though. I think I get what they were trying, maybe?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I haven't seen how fast the new Skull Merchant drones activate yet, but the changes make it sound like the classic trick with Knight: drop one when a survivor tries to loop you somewhere and they either have to leave or get hit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I appreciate that they reward survivors for seeing an old man in a rocker and deciding to stab the poo poo out of him. Like mechanically it makes sense but I don't think the survivor characters know he's magic they just went gently caress that guy and shanked his rear end

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hate having epic on my computer. It's not like GOG where it is completely inoffensive, poo poo shovels ads into your normal computer experience. Supposedly there are ways to turn it off, but I couldn't get it to actually work so I just don't use it anymore. Plus my actual experiences trying to use it were all poo poo. Save game issues, I find , simple bits being needlessly confusing, literally everything about how it presents itself just feels off in a bad way.

It's not about brand loyalty or I wouldnt have and use GOG, it is epic specifically I don't like and avoid getting games on (and if I do get a game on it, knowing I'll have to uae epic to play it makes playing it a lot less likely)

But I hardly ever buy poo poo on GOG either and I prefer GOG to Steam, I just never think to check it unless I'm looking for something I'm already really interested in getting and that's the only place where it is, just having to boot it up is enough to kill any impulse buy or play urges.

Also I never could figure out how to launch Epic games from steam, something that is trivial for all my other non steam games... so even when I do get them, they aren't in my game list so I don't think to play them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 21, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Danaru posted:

I appreciate that they reward survivors for seeing an old man in a rocker and deciding to stab the poo poo out of him. Like mechanically it makes sense but I don't think the survivor characters know he's magic they just went gently caress that guy and shanked his rear end

Listen, they are having a really bad day and are pretty stressed. Sometimes you just want to take out some aggression on a dessicated old dude.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is also an extremely off-putting contingent of people who swoop in to defend Epic anytime someone voices a distaste for it.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i really enjoyed the Evil Dead game but if i wasn't a loving mark for Evil Dead I probably wouldn't have gone "fine" and bought it on EGS

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Mr. Maggy posted:

i really enjoyed the Evil Dead game but if i wasn't a loving mark for Evil Dead I probably wouldn't have gone "fine" and bought it on EGS

It was a great idea, but playing demon could easily become sheer misery.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Car Flipper Simulator 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
At one point I wondered if a viable strategy for demon was to set up a Rush Hour puzzle with cars at one of the initial items.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hyphz posted:

At one point I wondered if a viable strategy for demon was to set up a Rush Hour puzzle with cars at one of the initial items.

So long as the car was no more than five feet away from the item, given how fast the power drained when using cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I feel like all the arguments about "EGS killed it/is the worst thing ever" pale in comparison to poo poo like "one side can chain iframes until they become literally invincible". That's a disgustingly severe exploit and any game that did not fix that within like, a week or two tops, would immediately lose all of my goodwill. Asym games have died for less, like VHS. You can argue that VHS's advertising and communications sucked poo poo and while yes, I'm sure that was part of their downfall, it seems like ultimately the killer role was just too hard and not fun and that killed interest more than anything else.

Doomykins posted:

A conga line of goofs thinking that if the HORROR ELEMENT in their HORROR GAME is too mean that people might not want to play, wondering why people don't want to play when dressing up as a monstrous serial killer is just a prelude to putting in more effort to perform worse.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be interested to know how many people who play a lot of DBD also play other horror games. When you die in other horror media it is a failure state but it's also basically what you are there for. If you get jumpscared in FNAF or a Necromorph gores you in Dead Space then you lost but the game would be less fun if it didn't happen a lot. Once you start thinking of horror media less of something than you experience and more something that has to be consistently won it changes everything about it.

Mr. Locke posted:

A lot of these newer devs probably at least in part base their game balanced around DBD and the feedback around it... unfortunately a lot of which is whining about how 'broken' killers are because a disproportionate part of the player base is Survivor-only. So new games implement similar gameplay except the Survivors get to fight back and almost all these devs miss that Survivors have traditionally been the Strong Side in Dead By Daylight since almost the dawn of the game, and giving the Survivors tools to make the Killer's life actively miserable base-kit just leads to a lot of games where the killer-side barely feels like they get to play the game once a meta shakes out and the average Survivor starts learning ways to kick the Killers in the genitals.

I think these posts are more on the money. Developers are misunderstanding how asym games should be balanced and are too afraid of making the killer role oppressively strong, despite the fact that it's so easy to accomplish the opposite, and they're so often steeped in survival horror themes! And players in the survivor role, for whatever reason - arrogance, streamerbrain, I don't know - too often get the idea that you're supposed to be capable of getting out 100% of the time.

I've said it before but the key to actually enjoying survivor-side DBD is never expecting a free escape. You can make assumptions on how a match might go at the start (oh it's a baby, we'll probably escape), and you might very often be right, but ideally the killer role should have the upper hand and tools to turn things around moreso than the other way around.

Any game that is asym and especially new honestly needs developers who are willing to make constant reactive patches around the meta and get rid of exploits and power spikes on either side. You can't have devs that don't touch the game except for every 3 months, and mostly just to fix graphical glitches or bugs. It just doesn't work. It really needs constant rebalancing.