Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

my dad posted:

Basic example would be that Zis155/Zil158 are the best early buses if you're going at full capacity. But if you're running half capacity or lower, suddenly the RF-977 microbus takes over. Assuming parking space and road capacity isn't a factor (not a trivial thing later on, but I'm assuming you're using the limited free parking options at first, and that vehicles are fairly sparse), 3 microbus are cheaper and can be more granular about delivering workers. Solid for importing workforce for construction projects. Hell, the personal car Trabi is unironically pretty decent at low intensity transportation. You could absolutely just hand these out to people in villages to let them make better use of spread out infrastructure - parking lots are cheap, and space isn't at a premium there.

----

sounds like it would be dope if that game supported imported designs from from https://www.automationgame.com ala beam.ng ( & if automation supported diesel engines )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lol i just realized ideologically the two games are total opposites in every way

would still be neat tho

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

w&r: is train auto-pathfinding categorically bad? I just had a train bypass this passenger station for no discernable reason.

e: oh I should probably set those chain signals, at the platform, to bi directional.

Pretty sure complete blocks are supposed to be blue (linear block) or orange (intersection) and nothing else.

I would personally not make the second one but you had crossing tracks so I made it to be sure it could all be orange/blue.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait the colors mean poo poo?!!

e: wow thanks that helped a lot

Stairmaster has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 19, 2023

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Getting the hang of train signal setups feels like black magic at first but once it clicks it's really easy to visualise and understand

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

supersnowman posted:

Pretty sure complete blocks are supposed to be blue (linear block) or orange (intersection) and nothing else.

What?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Typo posted:

I played Scythe for first time on the wkd

good game, but I was expecting it to be a wargame and not a Euro with a bit of fighting at the end

Scythe is a game where you need a build plan and a single move that deviates from the optimum puts you hopelessly in last. I don't really like the scoring mechanics or player interaction mechanics either. I've played it a bunch and it's okay but there are many better games.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

When setting up signals, length of tracks will change colors. Those colors aren't random/meaningless.

Portion of tracks between signals are called blocks. Each blocks can have at most one train inside them at a time. Blocks with only straight line AND with good signals will turn blue. Blocks with intersections (rails crossing each others in any way) wit correct signals will turn orange. See the posted pictures for examples.

Some intersection can be purple meaning not completely well done and still work but you are much more at risk of having bad train behavior or trains getting jammed with other rains.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why doesn't ooenttd have that...

Also why aren't steam locomotives a thing

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

supersnowman posted:

When setting up signals, length of tracks will change colors. Those colors aren't random/meaningless.

Portion of tracks between signals are called blocks. Each blocks can have at most one train inside them at a time. Blocks with only straight line AND with good signals will turn blue. Blocks with intersections (rails crossing each others in any way) wit correct signals will turn orange. See the posted pictures for examples.

Some intersection can be purple meaning not completely well done and still work but you are much more at risk of having bad train behavior or trains getting jammed with other rains.

I'm familiar with blocks but just assumed the colors were random. That would have been so useful to know!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

oscarthewilde posted:

yeah, a heavily ideologized 'simulation' definitely counts as strategy. goddamn category mistake

total war doesn't pretend to be a simulation though? Its a fun hybrid RTS/RTT game that once somehow managed to reach something that could be called art with the entire narrative in Attila Total War.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

Why doesn't ooenttd have that...

Also why aren't steam locomotives a thing

because the future is diesel/electric.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

total war doesn't pretend to be a simulation though? Its a fun hybrid RTS/RTT game that once somehow managed to reach something that could be called art with the entire narrative in Attila Total War.

I think they were talking about Cities Skylines 2

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
oh nvm. I thought the entire game was built around not being that much of a hardcore sim when you compare it to W&R

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

oh nvm. I thought the entire game was built around not being that much of a hardcore sim when you compare it to W&R

It's a sim in the liberal sense in that you start with totally baseless assumptions and torturously try to recreate real life from them while also trying to make it make sense. Like HOI or Victoria

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's kinda funny because even with Cities Skylines 1, they've been tinkering with introducing things like resource extraction, specific types of industries, and a general sense of economic progress or modeling, to try and introduce "hard" gameplay elements besides traffic management so that it's not just a "map painter", and they've been making hay with how there's supposed to be even more economic modeling in CS2

but the whole thing continues to be so abstract since the root of it is still "people move in to your city for Reasons, and then you need to give them something to do, and your money comes from tax revenues", and the very top of the economic tiers is still financialization and Silicon Valley-style high tech. You're forever fated to being pushed towards shedding manufacturing and heavy industry, unless you deliberately keep it for role-playing reasons (as I do)

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
communism skylines is having no taxes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's kinda funny because even with Cities Skylines 1, they've been tinkering with introducing things like resource extraction, specific types of industries, and a general sense of economic progress or modeling, to try and introduce "hard" gameplay elements besides traffic management so that it's not just a "map painter", and they've been making hay with how there's supposed to be even more economic modeling in CS2

but the whole thing continues to be so abstract since the root of it is still "people move in to your city for Reasons, and then you need to give them something to do, and your money comes from tax revenues", and the very top of the economic tiers is still financialization and Silicon Valley-style high tech. You're forever fated to being pushed towards shedding manufacturing and heavy industry, unless you deliberately keep it for role-playing reasons (as I do)

Even than you need to keep a population of less educated people to work those industry jobs, as well as service sector jobs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

are there any games that deal directly with decolonization?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm aware of several games about post colonial wars- Colonial Twilight (Algerian independence) and The British Way (Kenya and Malaya, as well as Israel and Cyprus) from the COIN series, and I've heard good things about Angola about that civil war. COIN also has Gandhi which uses similar mechanics to the other titles but ofc broadens the scope to include non-warfare resistance. Can't really think of anything about running a post colonial society though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

Can't really think of anything about running a post colonial society though

ah drat, i figured as much

i knew about coin, but those other 2 recommendations sound pretty good :tipshat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sid Meier's C-... oh, you said DE-colonization

does Tropico count? Suzerain? Hidden Agenda (1988)?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Spirit Island lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sid Meier's C-... oh, you said DE-colonization

the goal is to throw off the shackles of the oppressive motherland after all...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tropico should count.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For all its many, many, many flaws, Tropico is technically such a game, yeah.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you play W&R without pre-existing settlements, you're playing a terra nullius colonisation game. :v:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Hidden Agenda is the first one that comes to mind and it’s like 35 years old lol

A great game though, a bit cynical but in a good way. The US completely flips poo poo and sponsors counterrevolutionaries if you are anything but completely obsequious and submissive and if you try to do anything that might develop your country into something other than a plantation-colony, the pro-US path inevitably leads you into fascism, and the centrist liberals are spineless and useless

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Mister Bates posted:

Hidden Agenda is the first one that comes to mind and it’s like 35 years old lol

A great game though, a bit cynical but in a good way. The US completely flips poo poo and sponsors counterrevolutionaries if you are anything but completely obsequious and submissive and if you try to do anything that might develop your country into something other than a plantation-colony, the pro-US path inevitably leads you into fascism, and the centrist liberals are spineless and useless

i'd always put the hatted fascist (you know the one) in charge of my foreign policy at the start to keep the u.s. placated and then when him and his attempt a coup i can kill him and replace him with a centrist to continue to keep the us from crawling up my entire rear end

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tankbuster posted:

tropico should count.

Tropico 1 was the best one, the humor in the game was largely subtle political satire on Latin American politics and it was a pretty fun game

every subsequent Tropico got progressively wackier until it feels like they aren't even trying to satirize Latin American politics anymore and the game play never even changed that much

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dominions gamers, I sure do hope you like non-aggression pacts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

Tropico 1 was the best one,

This is true

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Lol Gamers have always been like this

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Typo posted:

Tropico 1 was the best one, the humor in the game was largely subtle political satire on Latin American politics and it was a pretty fun game

every subsequent Tropico got progressively wackier until it feels like they aren't even trying to satirize Latin American politics anymore and the game play never even changed that much

Tropico 2's utterly bizarre decision to make managing the logistics of a slave economy a core game mechanic, including employing overseers to whip them, guard patrols to keep them from escaping, and generating fear to keep them resigned to their fate...while not only employing them do hard labor but also explicitly employing them in brothels as sex workers, remains a standout low point for the series, a level of absolutely mind-blowing crassness that none of the later games ever managed to stoop to. That said, while the later games at least aren't that horrifying, none of them have ever managed to capture the magic of Tropico 1, and at this point I don't even understand why they are still making them or who is playing them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Typo posted:

I still have the box on my shelf, the box art of the island is so nice. The best music of them all too.

The only thing that holds it back vs the new ones is the *gulp* lack of cars. It would be one thing if you could build mass transit but you're kinda penned into one corner of the island because if you want to build on the other side of the island, they have to walk, and they won't take housing closer to the job site.

Although now that I think about it, a modern city builder explicitly with no cars does sound pretty cool, and it's 20 years old already. You have to build a walkable island, you have no other choice.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I actually kind of liked the no-cars thing because it meant that you inevitably had to build multiple cities that were largely disconnected from each other (they even automatically generated names for them and the game tracked which of them any citizen was from) - any industry distant from your starting area needed workers closer to it, those workers needed services like food and entertainment, and eventually you had entire decent-sized communities that had naturally grown up separate from your original capitol. It made it feel like developing a very small country, while all of the Kalypso Tropicos have felt like you're just developing a single city, even though the size of the map and number of people is actually larger now.

Workers and Resources draws a lot of very clear inspiration from Tropico 1, and that is one place where that influence is really obvious, with the mechanics strongly encouraging a bunch of satellite communities and the pre-made villages playing a similar role to Tropico's starting shacks. You gradually develop your main city from a primitive village into a proper city, and then expand out from there with smaller communities close to key natural resources or other important locations, and like in Tropico it automatically recognizes these as new cities and tracks them individually and automatically generates names for them

When I was a kid I had a ton of fun watching immigrants arrive and usually all end up concentrating in the newest housing, and then over the generations intermarrying and having kids, so you organically ended up with specific towns or even specific neighborhoods where most of the people had Russian surnames or whatever even though all of them had been native-born Tropicans for generations.

It had so many neat ideas that were never properly followed up on by any of its actual sequels.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Sep 20, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Tropico 2's utterly bizarre decision to make managing the logistics of a slave economy a core game mechanic, including employing overseers to whip them, guard patrols to keep them from escaping, and generating fear to keep them resigned to their fate...while not only employing them do hard labor but also explicitly employing them in brothels as sex workers, remains a standout low point for the series, a level of absolutely mind-blowing crassness that none of the later games ever managed to stoop to. That said, while the later games at least aren't that horrifying, none of them have ever managed to capture the magic of Tropico 1, and at this point I don't even understand why they are still making them or who is playing them

Also worth noting that 2 also had the kind of weird balance where it's 50% funny/50% serious pirate stuff, incredibly grim if you think about it for more than a second slave management and then also you have an army of skeletons because you can use magic to reincarnate your dead pirates to turn them into haulers that never need to eat or sleep.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

Workers and Resources draws a lot of very clear inspiration from Tropico 1,

yeah I was about to say that Tropico 1 almost feels like a proto-W&R in retrospect, what with things like having to physically build the buildings, import/export mechanics, and a materially-grounded industrial model

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Tropico 2 might be the worst sequel in PC gaming history. I still remember how I felt after playing it for about an hour or two. It wasn't good.

I'm struggling to think of a sequel that comes close to being such a step down from previous entries in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Dominions gamers, I sure do hope you like non-aggression pacts.

They're useful, the best part is when you suddenly break one with a cloud trapeze rush and... wait you mean in-game diplomacy? Wild.