Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Unkempt posted:

I mean, some of it looks sort of interesting, but I don't think I want to pay money for that.

I would happily pay lots of money for an analysis of Catullus 16. Extremely NSFW:

An actual fancy-pants Latin poet posted:

I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you,
cocksucker Aurelius and butt-boy Furius,
who think, from my little verses,
because they're a little soft, that I have no shame.
For it is right for the devoted poet to be chaste
himself, but it's not necessary for his verses to be so.
[Verses] which then indeed have taste and charm,
If they are delicate and have no shame,
And because they can incite an itch,
And I don't mean in boys, but in
Those hairy men who can't move their loins.
You, because [about] my many thousands of kisses
You've read, you think me less of a man?
I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Oh, Maledicta, I think they're kind of like if Urban Dictionary had a doctorate.

I'm curious to know all about merkins, and "Offensive Language Via Computer."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ScienceSeagull posted:

"Offensive Language Via Computer."

Alright, here we go: gently caress

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would happily pay lots of money for an analysis of Catullus 16. Extremely NSFW:

I have no idea why people translate pedicabo et irrumabo like that when "buttfuck and skullfuck" are much better English.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Ages ago I worked in a candy store and the company we got our chocolate from was Merckens Chocolate Melts and I got to explain to the boss why I found that so funny.

Spending all day selling pounds of Merckens to little old ladies and PTA moms. Unforgiveable amounts of "I need Merckens. I'm doing something special for the kids :)"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Woolie Wool posted:

I have no idea why people translate pedicabo et irrumabo like that when "buttfuck and skullfuck" are much better English.

Maybe it is just me, but in my lexicon "facefuck" involves a mouth whereas "skullfuck" features eyesockets. So there's a different vibe.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I've also seen that line translated very euphemistically as something like "up yours, and sucks to you." Although some older editions of Catullus just give up and leave it in the original Latin. I think I used to have a Loeb Classical Library edition of Martial that translated some of the more explicit epigrams into Italian instead of English.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ScienceSeagull posted:

I've also seen that line translated very euphemistically as something like "up yours, and sucks to you." Although some older editions of Catullus just give up and leave it in the original Latin. I think I used to have a Loeb Classical Library edition of Martial that translated some of the more explicit epigrams into Italian instead of English.

I'm really curious how they decide on loose translations like that. Is pedicabo et irumado something that the Romans would have taken as a slightly rude swear like "up yours", or would it have been as shocking and visceral (and funny) as "I will buttfuck and facefuck you"? How would we even know?

(I'm reminded about a joke about the massive difference between horseplay and ponyplay, and how that should make us doubt almost any translation that relies on cultural knowledge)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Reminds me of something I read about the handling of swearing on Deadwood. Where they changed the cursing to words we would consider stronger, because hard bitten Western outlaws saying 'dammit!' wouldn't really convey the right tone.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

19th century twitter

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/644523690592485376?lang=en

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm really curious how they decide on loose translations like that. Is pedicabo et irumado something that the Romans would have taken as a slightly rude swear like "up yours", or would it have been as shocking and visceral (and funny) as "I will buttfuck and facefuck you"? How would we even know?

(I'm reminded about a joke about the massive difference between horseplay and ponyplay, and how that should make us doubt almost any translation that relies on cultural knowledge)

there is a debate in translation pedagogy whether it's better to translate the meaning or to translate the literal definition of words. a good translator mixes and matches both of them, because lots of idioms or even basic concepts don't translate directly between languages.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Catullus was the first poet who ever got his bone on, little man!

(I genuinely thought I was in the Achewood thread for a split second when I got to that last image, because obviously this was some sort of satirical thing. Chris Onstad could have written "Many anti-Semitic examples" in his prime.)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

brb putting this entire thing through the TikTok Lady Voice as if Abe were reading it to himself

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Seems like we should have a term for "pairs of compound words or phrases made of words that are close to synonyms, but differ enough that when assembled and in context mean very different things"

Eg
Horseplay/ponyplay
Butt dial/booty call
Forgive me, Father, I have sinned/Sorry, Daddy, I've been naughty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

butt dial vs. booty call

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My boyfriend works in a manufacturing plant with a bunch of rednecks aged 40s-70s.

They thought twerk was what kids these days were using as slang for work, as in "I'll go twerk over here on this machine while you're twerking on that one."

Every time he or I tell this anecdote, we can't get through it without cracking up.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Sagebrush posted:

butt dial vs. booty call

And don't forget bottom text!

Going to show this to everyone who goes on about how our ancestors were so much more literate and erudite.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Dear Mr President
Up yours
also send girls

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Will Oblige

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ScienceSeagull posted:

And don't forget bottom text!

Going to show this to everyone who goes on about how our ancestors were so much more literate and erudite.

This dude was so racist ol’ Abe gave him an apoplexy.

Good.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Is this the 19th century's "Suck my dick, you fuckman?"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Phy posted:

Seems like we should have a term for "pairs of compound words or phrases made of words that are close to synonyms, but differ enough that when assembled and in context mean very different things"

Eg
Horseplay/ponyplay
Butt dial/booty call
Forgive me, Father, I have sinned/Sorry, Daddy, I've been naughty

Great news! Language is now banned.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

:neckbeard:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kchama posted:

Tremendous release: intercourse becomes taboo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That letter guy is using god drat like telegraphers used stop. Except, somehow more.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder how this guy would have reacted to receiving a letter full of the sort of sexual invective and graphic threats you would have seen in a particularly nasty usenet, LUE, or early FYAD flame.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BarryPierce/status/1705177169360515313

https://i-d.vice.com/en/article/ak3npe/millie-bobby-brown-nineteen-steps-review

This is ghostwritten, so don't feel bad about criticizing Millie Bobby Brown.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, turns out eleven was the reading age.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Was it ghostwritten by the ghost of Edward Bulwer-Lytton'?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, that reminds me of this banger of a line I ran into a bit ago:

quote:

It was breathtaking. But the thing taking Sam's breath even more was his sprint across the sand.

From a disaster scene in a fairly dumb time travel novel that I'll get around to complaining about at some point.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

The prose sounds dire, but the writer of this article sounds like a loving dickhead.

A positive portrale of Churchill in a novel set during WW2, from the perspective of a young girl in London? How dare they! The involvement of some real life deaths, during one of the most bloody periods of human history? Scandalous!

Vice really went to poo poo over the years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The prose sounds dire, but the writer of this article sounds like a loving dickhead.

A positive portrale of Churchill in a novel set during WW2, from the perspective of a young girl in London? How dare they! The involvement of some real life deaths, during one of the most bloody periods of human history? Scandalous!

Vice really went to poo poo over the years.

YA novel discourse has become a bunch of promoters with knives trying to shank each other

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Ah, the '"Yes," he agreed.' school of descriptive writing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
A few months ago, I posted about a fart book for kids with a so0undboard, because it was stupid and funny. Today I rescued another bit of fart-themed media from the dumpster. It's a deck of playing cards (they include two extra farts to make a full deck), not a book, but it inspired me to change my username and avatar. I know I'm running the risk of becoming known as "that fart goon" (especially with the username), but that's, like, a third of all goons anyway; I'm just being honest about it. :) Besides, I don't think I can top the lactose-intolerant goon who refused to give up cheese and cleared out his office (if I remember the story correctly).

If anyone's interested in "scholarly" fart jokes, I can probably get some pictures tomorrow (there was a big line at the checkout counter when I was leaving, so I decided to buy it tomorrow). Here's the full box art for the deck of cards that I cropped for the avatar:

"Peer-reviewed" makes me picture a bunch of old dudes sitting around literally sniffing each other's farts.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 25, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amazing, more fart related content please :f5:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

Friend, you've come to the right place.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's quite a username-post combo. Also, I like to think that you've been refreshing this thread all day waiting for more fart-centric posting. Wait no more, fart-friend. I'm here to deliver!

Tree Bucket posted:

Friend, you've come to the right place.

Hey, that's my line!

--

As promised/requested/threatened, here are some cards from the Fifty Farts deck. Again, apologies about the glare/focus on some of these; I just laid them out and took pictures so I could post this as soon as possible.
The back of the cards are pretty simple:

Aces:

Kings:

(the first part there that's covered with a glare says "n: sonorous")

Sorry, but I haven't looked closely enough to see if there are any repeats (it's called "Fifty Farts" but the box says there are two "extra" farts included to make a full deck). I salute the brave researchers who catalogued and classified all the types of farts. I bet a similar project but about burps would be much more difficult since there aren't as many types.

In conclusion: Farts. :fart:

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 25, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

What a language; 50 words for snow. And over here we have... 50 words for fart

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fifty Fart Dates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thread completely delivers, I think we've all learned something today.