Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

yellowcar posted:

the x-32, boeing's competing design, looked even fatter

Wow, the first airplane capable of contracting Type II diabetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mycomancy posted:

Wow, the first airplane capable of contracting Type II diabetes.

WW1 planes had total loss oil systems that sprayed castor oil in the faces of pilots, so I suppose this is the first plane that doesn’t just inflict it on other people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

91823_2 posted:

the united states taking an 'asian' stance towards saudi arabia

Failsons at the state deparment with an excel made by their forefathers updating the column with saudi arabia to Asian

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Boeing JSF entry had some sweet features like
"the wing is one gigantic composite fabrication that we can't figure out how to make without cracking 99/100 times"
"we have to completely disassemble the plane in between the different tests because there's no single configuration that can do them all but we promise there will be when you pick us to go to production :shobon:"
"doesn't meet the required program specs even on paper but don't worry it will. how? magic."
"did we mention the main feature of this plane vs the lockmart entry is supposed to be cost?"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

The Boeing JSF entry had some sweet features like
"the wing is one gigantic composite fabrication that we can't figure out how to make without cracking 99/100 times"
"we have to completely disassemble the plane in between the different tests because there's no single configuration that can do them all but we promise there will be when you pick us to go to production :shobon:"
"doesn't meet the required program specs even on paper but don't worry it will. how? magic."
"did we mention the main feature of this plane vs the lockmart entry is supposed to be cost?"

i still suspect it may have been the better entry!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

i still suspect it may have been the better entry!

I'm fairly confident that it would have been exactly as bad, because the badness was baked in with the requirements (supersonic + stealth + vtol, three different variants) and the way they chose to write the contracts and manage the acquisition process (no accountability whatsoever). The JSF program producing an aircraft at all is like a vestigial organ, the real purpose is to funnel a trillion dollars into the defense sector and make sure everybody gets a taste; Boeing's would just be a version where the plane randomly breaks in half and falls out of the sky rather than Lockheed's where none of the poo poo on the plane works right.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm fairly confident that it would have been exactly as bad, because the badness was baked in with the requirements (supersonic + stealth + vtol, three different variants) and the way they chose to write the contracts and manage the acquisition process (no accountability whatsoever). The JSF program producing an aircraft at all is like a vestigial organ, the real purpose is to funnel a trillion dollars into the defense sector and make sure everybody gets a taste; Boeing's would just be a version where the plane randomly breaks in half and falls out of the sky rather than Lockheed's where none of the poo poo on the plane works right.

yes, but can it perform its mission with a smile??

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Back bring the F8 Crusader :D

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Back bring the F8 Crusader :D

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

yes, but can it perform its mission with a smile??

Military as a just in time app based service, with a smile.

Promote it like doordash with Snoop dog smoking drugs in the cockpit to pop music.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

WW1 planes had total loss oil systems that sprayed castor oil in the faces of pilots, so I suppose this is the first plane that doesn’t just inflict it on other people.

as i recall ww1 pilots had chronic diarrhea because they sat in castor oil fumes all day, which honestly makes the whole "knights of the sky" mythos is fair bit less heroic

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

as i recall ww1 pilots had chronic diarrhea because they sat in castor oil fumes all day, which honestly makes the whole "knights of the sky" mythos is fair bit less heroic

rain hell from above

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
gives a whole new meaning to the term "drizzling shits"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Man I know nothing about the Kosovo war. Are there any good books about it?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

The wicker seats make a bit more sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I meant, like, a good overview of what the Kosovo war was.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Back bring the Avro Arrow :D

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
1916: Tossing hand grenades out of experimental aircraft into trenchlines below
2023: Tossing hand grenades out of experimental aircraft into trenchlines below

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gripweed posted:

I meant, like, a good overview of what the Kosovo war was.

I found that chapter about how it created deeply flawed military assumptions in the west, from How Wars End, if you're interested.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheHidingGhost/status/1704286977846067478

mold AND sewage im sure the private sector will fix this problem soon

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Danann posted:

did they not teach them how to flush in basic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

I found that chapter about how it created deeply flawed military assumptions in the west, from How Wars End, if you're interested.

I feel like Homer Simpson from that joke where he tries to learn something by attempting to read increasingly simple books about it. I got a book that’s just a history of the Balkans, hopefully after reading that I’ll know enough to be able to ask for info about the stuff I don’t know.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

it needs to be fixed. immediately.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

That'll happen when any buildings are kept in use beyond their original service life, particularly if maintenance falls away.

I'm sure this isn't indicative of anything like a canary in a coal mine or something like that.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

if thethe cia/moonie paper says the army needs more money then who am i to say no?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

if thethe cia/moonie paper says the army needs more money then who am i to say no?

I think setting aside a special fund of about a billion dollars per month indefinitely should allow the flexibility to call in a plumber at least once a fortnight.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
we spend more money than the entire PLA on the "keep our veterans homeless" budget, help we have no money for hygiene

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1704335202665783624?t=KSse6V2WHrBDjetoUqzKKg&s=19

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1704593399616086474?s=20

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

can't you only eject like three times before your spine is too squished from the force of it to continue service or is that bs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
bad weather, famously never happened in the western pacific

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bad weather? Good thing it wasn't a whole squadron in the air, whole flight would have been lost.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Buck Wildman posted:

can't you only eject like three times before your spine is too squished from the force of it to continue service or is that bs

Probably BS, though I know pilots get checked over whenever they eject to make sure their spines are okay among other things. Besides, there aren't enough planes left for somebody to get two never mind four.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I would have said I was attempting a Mach 10 run.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Complications posted:

Probably BS, though I know pilots get checked over whenever they eject to make sure their spines are okay among other things. Besides, there aren't enough planes left for somebody to get two never mind four.

probably it's just something I remember being told at some point

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The F-35 was famously snapping pilots' necks with that stupidly huge helmet and bone-breaker ejection seat although they claimed to have fixed it https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2015/10/14/usaf-acknowledges-expanded-risk-of-neck-damage-to-f-35-pilots/

It wouldn't terribly surprise me if the pilot had a TBI and that's why they had such a hard time finding the plane. Hard to remember what heading you were on when your entire short term memory got blown up by your head getting whiplashed into your chest.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

The F-35 was famously snapping pilots' necks with that stupidly huge helmet and bone-breaker ejection seat although they claimed to have fixed it https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2015/10/14/usaf-acknowledges-expanded-risk-of-neck-damage-to-f-35-pilots/

It wouldn't terribly surprise me if the pilot had a TBI and that's why they had such a hard time finding the plane. Hard to remember what heading you were on when your entire short term memory got blown up by your head getting whiplashed into your chest.

Was this before or after the masks aphixiated them?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Designing death before dishonour into the aircraft is certainly one approach to encouraging pilots to either limp home or ride it into the ground.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

Sadly, America's foremost expert on crashing jets died of brain cancer a few years ago