Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

At the 2021 deadline the Canucks were offered a first round pick for Tanner Pearson. Benning opted to resign him because the team had lost Toffoli and Tanev over the summer and he felt a lack of veteran leadership had been responsible for the team's struggles. At the time, Pettersson was opening to signing a max length extension for around $9.5m. The Canucks gave Pearson $3.25m which meant they couldn't afford to go to $9.5m for Pettersson bridging him at $7.8m instead.

We could've had: 1st round pick, Pettersson on a sweetheart deal

We got: jettisoned a 3rd round pick, Pettersson publicly refusing to negotiate an extension during his contract year, two years of Pearson being injured and a very awful botched surgery.

Have I mentioned lately that Jim Benning was really, really awful at his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

What's the likelihood that players will have a second cell phone on hand with no personal data on it minus a SIM card?

Anecdotal (and really not an answer to the actual question), I sold phones to a few NHL players around 2018 and 2019. Some of them do have a second cell and/or phone number because most of them are from Canada and live there in the offseason. US carriers offer service in Canada, but there are limits if like, you’re roaming there for 3-4 months out of the year.

eSIM / dual SIM was just rolling out at the time, I would bet now a bunch of them just have a Canadian and US number on one phone.

Almost every hockey player tends to want the same thing: buy latest iPhone outright, never trade in old phone, just pay $1000 for everything up front.

The younger players also sometimes have to buy outright. I sold a phone to Robert Thomas when he was 18, dude was getting paid whatever 6 figure entry level deal, but since he didn’t have any credit, 0 financing approved had to pay everything outright.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mike Works posted:

So how about that Hockey Canada report now.

They're still working out the release scheduling so it doesn't conflict with Star Citizen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Now that training camps are starting to open I declare the offseason over!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

rip Hand Knit, nobody here to tell us to make new threads :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

rip Hand Knit, nobody here to tell us to make new threads :(

I must’ve missed it, he dead?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He quit because the Leafs suck too much.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wait, have we achieved a modless utopia?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So we can do lovely puns with impunity?

More like the Minnesota Mild

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

So we can do lovely puns with impunity?

More like the Minnesota Mild

Midesota Mild

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He once gave me a three day probe for Chuck Norris jokes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943250&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=90#post511134931

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Ban-worthy imo

https://twitter.com/ahbseaborn/status/1704162202423357916?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Hopefully the league can make up this lost money through their NFT project

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Fine I'll do what you asked for
*ahem*

Someone make a pre-season thread.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Hopefully the league can make up this lost money through their NFT project

Mike Cammalleri cashed out and the business immediately failed. Guy is a genius.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

neoaxd posted:

Let's do it again. Let's really see how many picks we can squeeze out of ol' Jeffy P.

If you want, we can throw in Ben Chiarot and you can see how much more you can get for him too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston named Marchand the captain. The little rat has climbed higher than I ever imagined he would.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Go Devils.

Preseason hockey this Saturday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbUn2nK3k4

Probably still the most rocking hit I ever saw watching a game live, and I saw Kariya die on ice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1704504729118609499

A fitting captain for a Jeremy Jacobs-owned team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently they were giving out coupons at the pro shop to return to get a C or A added to the anniversary jerseys, since they started selling them before a captain was named.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So what third-rate sports drink is the official beverage of the NHL this year?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1704503548862398591

actually dead?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Paul Byron officially retired. He was cool when he wasn’t broken. Although I think that’s the first time I’ve seen “Being claimed on waivers changed my life” in a retirement announcement.

AntiDepressor fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 20, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Robidas Island baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Amazing how this always happens right when a team needs that exact amount of cap space.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Stamkos’ extension negotiations sound like they’re going well

https://twitter.com/kyle_burger/status/1704486173245092078?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://twitter.com/chris_krenn/status/1704513443556991390?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He'll be 34 and had a ton of injuries over the years. A smart (but cold) franchise wouldn't entertain anything more than a two year deal for him. He could get more than that on the open market. I see the impasse.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Chris_Krenn/status/1704517551005299192

The full statement is basically: Ya uhh we aren't gonna pay him very much.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

AntiDepressor posted:

Paul Byron officially retired. He was cool when he wasn’t broken. Although I think that’s the first time I’ve seen “Being claimed on waivers changed my life” in a retirement announcement.

I liked him. Needed a shorthanded goal? He was your man. It's okay to be a one-trick pony when your trick is really good.

Also, this picture of, you guessed it, a shorthanded goal, against the Leafs in Game 1 fuckin' rules:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Krenn/status/1704517551005299192

The full statement is basically: Ya uhh we aren't gonna pay him very much.

This reads like a commitment to retooling

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya its very much a "we love Steven Stamkos but not really enough to pay him, this team is kinda hosed and things need to change"

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Biosteel was weird. I always heard about it via NHL players, their off season camp etc, but actual product-wise I know almost nothing about it.

Was this stuff in stores? I don't recall ever seeing it next to Gatorade or something. At least not where I live in Western Canada.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Was this stuff in stores? I don't recall ever seeing it next to Gatorade or something. At least not where I live in Western Canada.

Its business model for a long time was to only sell directly to pro sports franchises, not commerical retail. Presumably as a groundswell marketing thing to create demand. It eventually got sold to some cannabis company and I think they found out too late it wasn't even coming close to breaking even, so tried to ratchet up marketing and get it to shelves for consumers. I saw it in a Walmart once but it didn't last. It's too niche a product and NHL players just aren't cool enough to drive demand. It was basically an Ontario hockey bro exclusive product and could never gain a foothold beyond that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya its very much a "we love Steven Stamkos but not really enough to pay him, this team is kinda hosed and things need to change"

It's kind of bizarre. Like, yeah, he's getting older and probably doesn't have many more years in him. But he's arguably the face of their franchise, the best Lightning player ever, and he had 84 points in 81 games last year - it's not like he's dead weight. Yes they have cap trouble, yes he's probably not going to be paid $8.5 mil a year anymore, but I feel like he's the kind of franchise icon you pay to keep around.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm more of a Prime man.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Szechwan posted:

Biosteel was weird. I always heard about it via NHL players, their off season camp etc, but actual product-wise I know almost nothing about it.

I have been able to buy Biosteel at Shoppers and Sobey's. Typically in the vitamin/health sections.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

Mike Cammalleri cashed out and the business immediately failed. Guy is a genius.

Michigan Man

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Szechwan posted:

We could get it in hockey adjacent stores here in Seattle, but I never saw it in a convenience store or anywhere else. I wasn't looking for it either. The bottles were second rate for on the bench, but for being just another gatorade, it was fine.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's kind of bizarre. Like, yeah, he's getting older and probably doesn't have many more years in him. But he's arguably the face of their franchise, the best Lightning player ever, and he had 84 points in 81 games last year - it's not like he's dead weight. Yes they have cap trouble, yes he's probably not going to be paid $8.5 mil a year anymore, but I feel like he's the kind of franchise icon you pay to keep around.

It also seems like a year or two early for the lightning to really consider a re-tool? Unless they consider Stamkos this year and Hedman next year as deadline trade chips.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I have been able to buy Biosteel at Shoppers and Sobey's. Typically in the vitamin/health sections.

It was expensive as hell. Could have competed in the running/cycling drink market but they focused on hockey bros instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
How the hell hasn’t Anaheim signed Zegras or Drysdale before training camp