Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember them AND how they looked, that's a big accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its a cool design and alien species.

Most of the aliens in Voyager just suffered from being boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

LMAO just got to the episode where Neelix got his lungs stolen. drat.

edit:

Got to the next episode and Neelix is flipping out that Janeway seems to put the crew in danger at every oppurtunity . He has not yet realized Janeway's lust for death.

I cant remember if it's come up yet, but see if you can spot how absolute Diktator Janeway's iron reign is; The self-destruct only requires her authority, any other show it's any two command officers. None shall challenge her authority, or all shall perish! :commissar:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I cant remember if it's come up yet, but see if you can spot how absolute Diktator Janeway's iron reign is; The self-destruct only requires her authority, any other show it's any two command officers. None shall challenge her authority, or all shall perish! :commissar:

To be fair, the command officers all exploded. Not sure the computer lets you just jam in random terrorists into the self destruct sequence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Janeway was never going to give Chakotay the authority to blow up the ship.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

every time they show tuvok being badass in any way i like to remember he's a prize-winning orchid breeder who plays the lute

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GolfHole posted:

every time they show tuvok being badass in any way i like to remember he's a prize-winning orchid breeder who plays the lute

That's what makes him bad rear end though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

Janeway was never going to give Chakotay the authority to blow up the ship.

Tuvok should still qualify. As should Harry Ki... no, no, I can't type that and mean it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tuvok should still qualify. As should Harry Ki... no, no, I can't type that and mean it.

They've probably child locked portions of Voyager for Harry Kim has he ever been able to use the holodeck. I bet he's stuck using the holodeck that the kid used where its some bizarre childs game.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

They've probably child locked portions of Voyager for Harry Kim has he ever been able to use the holodeck. I bet he's stuck using the holodeck that the kid used where its some bizarre childs game.

all he does is play clarinet clarinet revolution

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just anyone can set it off really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdWl8dFnVY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Janeway probably sets the self destruct to go off right before she goes to bed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elite Force was loving rad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tuvok wasn't crew when Voyager left on its mission, he was in deep cover. Probably have to re-auth him with Starfleet to get him back on the self-destruct list.

Harry didn't get to be on the list because he's Harry.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 20, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Been watching some original series I hadn’t seen, fun stuff definitely odd. Doomsday Machine has been my favorite so far by having a creepy giant space horror.

Tomorrow is Yesterday with them going back to the 1960s was wackiest so far. I liked Kirk being caught trespassing on a secure part of an Air Force base & attacking the staff & they barely care let alone put more than one guard on him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you think there are any Baul in starfleet? Drippy baul boys in uniform.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you think there are any Baul in starfleet? Drippy baul boys in uniform.

They're in the Fed in the 32nd, so probably.

I still want Lower Decks to give me a Horta captain.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 20, 2023

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Voyager is so aggressively bland that when it does come out swinging they're really memorable.

I started watching Lower Decks and really enjoyed it. I blasted through two seasons in four nights. But S3 isn't available on Prime. Was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The show really seems to find it's groove on the second season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing to remember about janeway is that the commandant only comes out to play when it doesn't matter. when it comes to getting home, she is always careful and cautious and immediately abandons every shortcut or speed boost as soon as they find a single flaw. but when it comes to some random nebula or dumb gimmick planet, janeway gets hardcore.

also, never forget that tuvok took a century long sabbatical from starfleet to pursue ceremonial archery.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing to remember about janeway is that the commandant only comes out to play when it doesn't matter. when it comes to getting home, she is always careful and cautious and immediately abandons every shortcut or speed boost as soon as they find a single flaw. but when it comes to some random nebula or dumb gimmick planet, janeway gets hardcore.

I'm mentioned it before, but there's like two or three super-fast drives trialled by Voyager over the course of the series where the only actual flaw is "We can't get back to Earth in one immediate use".

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm mentioned it before, but there's like two or three super-fast drives trialled by Voyager over the course of the series where the only actual flaw is "We can't get back to Earth in one immediate use".

I recall that there are a couple of drives that get them thousands of light years closer to home in single shots that happen during a voice over in the last scene of an episode.

My friends and I used to come up with the absolute worst TV show pitches for fun and the running gag comment was "still better than Voyager." Oh us sweet summer children, we knew not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My favourite is the one (coaxial) where they straight up forget to write out a reason they can't use it at the end of the episode, they just hope you won't notice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 20, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

My favourite is the one (coaxial) where they straight up forget to write out a reason they can't use it at the end of the episode, they just hope won't notice.

They didn't have the converter box for the coaxial warp drive, they had to route it through the VCR and that hosed with all the TVs on the bridge so they had to take it out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tighclops posted:

They didn't have the converter box for the coaxial warp drive, they had to route it through the VCR and that hosed with all the TVs on the bridge so they had to take it out

It sounds warper...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its unrealistic to believe that Janeway wouldn't harvest sentient aliens to make the ship faster. Even though that's a good two parter.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Mulgrew had some harsh words about how her character was written. I think she said Janeway must have been a psychopath or something like that, it's been a while.

Also has anyone ever counted the number of times they say "some kind of ..." cause that is one well the writers went to so many drat times. I think Voyager may be worse than TNG.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Its unrealistic to believe that Janeway wouldn't harvest sentient aliens to make the ship faster. Even though that's a good two parter.

People talk about how often she risks the ship or crew to uphold federation ideals and you find it hard that she wouldn't harvest aliens?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

She just doesn't want to let go of her big fish in a small pond thing.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Mulgrew had some harsh words about how her character was written. I think she said Janeway must have been a psychopath or something like that, it's been a while.

Also has anyone ever counted the number of times they say "some kind of ..." cause that is one well the writers went to so many drat times. I think Voyager may be worse than TNG.

https://youtu.be/JwZiezIxCVU?feature=shared

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

of course someone has counted it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Were any other Treks close to the friction between the actors & production staff as Voyager? I know Michael Dorn’s first season makeup was horrible on his skin & that caused problems with his morale & on DS9 Alexander Siddig wasn’t thrilled with poor dialogue, but that seems small potatoes compared with multiple Voyager actor conflicts spilling out into the news while the show was still on the air.

Also was it confirmed Garrett Wang was “punished” for smoking pot by being made to stay an ensign forever, or was that just a rumor?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Were any other Treks close to the friction between the actors & production staff as Voyager? I know Michael Dorn’s first season makeup was horrible on his skin & that caused problems with his morale & on DS9 Alexander Siddig wasn’t thrilled with poor dialogue, but that seems small potatoes compared with multiple Voyager actor conflicts spilling out into the news while the show was still on the air.

Also was it confirmed Garrett Wang was “punished” for smoking pot by being made to stay an ensign forever, or was that just a rumor?

Robert Beltran was actively trying to get fired throughout the final season.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Were any other Treks close to the friction between the actors & production staff as Voyager?

Not "literally got obama into office" bad, no

quote:

Star Trek: Voyager was not as well received as previous Star Trek series. In 1997, producers decided to add a new character in an attempt to boost ratings. Actress Jeri Ryan was brought in to play Seven of Nine.

Jeri's frequent separations from her husband, Jack Ryan, due to her acting schedule contributed to their decision to divorce in 1999.

In 2004, Jack Ryan became the Republican nominee for an open Senate seat in Illinois. During the campaign, the proceedings from Ryan's divorce became public, and contained details of his sex life that did not make him look good.

The scandal forced Ryan to drop out of the Senate race in July, leaving the GOP time to only find token opposition to Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Obama's landslide victory in the Senate race helped launch him onto the national stage, allowing him to pull off an upset victory in the 2008 Democratic primary and win the presidential election.

TL;DR- The lackluster writing of Star Trek: Voyager helped pave the way for the Obama presidency.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Craig K posted:

e: oh what the PUCK

FTFY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obama would have had a landslide victory against Ryan anyway even if that poo poo didn't come out. He was a bland candidate that wasn't really playing well in Illinois. Obama just would have won by like 15-20 points instead of 40

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVFOVgwBrY

Ah yes

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Niles fits perfectly in Star Trek

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hollismason posted:

They're definitely one of the cooler races they came up with for Voyager.

The ep where there is a disabled duplicate Voyager that the Vidiians invade is pretty brutal. They're just going around stunning people and stealing their organs. A woman even has a stillbirth.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
They replace the dead baby and Harry Kim with alternate Harry Kim and baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GolfHole posted:

Niles fits perfectly in Star Trek

I'm honestly kinda surprised David Hyde Pierce didn't do a guest spot on either TNG, Voyager or DS9 at any point during the 90s.