Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh. Well that sucks for the farmers but maybe their anger should be directed at the guys preventing those grain exports to Africa.

Current anger is mainly over Ukraine filing a complaint at the World Trade Organization against Hungary, Poland and Slovakia. Some consider it (I mean public opinion) ungrateful after the support Ukraine has been given (minus HU, Orbán is just stirring poo poo like always) and this sentiment is shared even among pro-UA circles, while Ukrainians consider bans on grain exports unfriendly. Grain can still be transported to other countries through PL, SK and HU and sold to other countries or Africa or whatever. Croatia also banned an import of UA grain a bit later.

Ukraine has previously agreed to introduce measures within 30 days to prevent a surge of cereals in EU countries. As far as I know, EU Commission decided not to extend the ban with the explanation that "exceptional conditions" that justified the ban had passed, while these countries disagreed with this decision and still seek some kind of measures on EU level, meanwhile they extended the ban. The decision might be partly political of course, it's part of a political campaign about how they're going to stick it to the EU/Brussels (at least in PL and HU, SK has provisional government so they don't really need to care).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

steinrokkan posted:

Oh the absolute terror that is cheap grain imports, the cost of flour and baked goods went up only 500% in the past year, we can't afford lower prices!

loving lol if you think any of that saving would be passed on to the end user.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Noir89 posted:

Of course Russia is the one to blame but you can't just go "lol sucks to be you" to your agriculture industry and let it die.

Nobody's doing that, but the Polish guy was saying because they're upset about the grain, they want to cut aid to Ukraine, which is completely the wrong reaction. Are you upset about the grain, Polish Minister? Well be upset at Russia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

I can't imagine thinking "which branch should I go into" and not instead instantly going with the one famously called The Chair Force

I can only speak for myself but the Marines couldn't guarantee me the job I wanted out of boot camp, the Air Force probably wouldn't have taken me because I was in the process of drinking my way out of college at the time (their standard of living is the best but at the time advancement was the worst) and I didn't want anything to do with the Army. I really wanted to be a submarine SONAR tech since I had never met anyone who had been on a sub and it sounded cool to a kid in South Dakota. Also, there are no sub bases in the Midwest but plenty of AF bases and with my luck I would have ended up right back there.

Several years after I retired I found myself in the mental health clinic for the local VA hospital and was going through an assessment with a counselor that seemed new and was just following the form without actually listening. She asked what I did in the military and I told her Submarine SONAR Tech. She then asked me what branch. I didn't say anything and she looked up and must have realized what she did. I remember this every time I hear someone say THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS because yes there are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

I can't imagine thinking "which branch should I go into" and not instead instantly going with the one famously called The Chair Force
Only one right choice

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Flyinglemur posted:

I can only speak for myself but the Marines couldn't guarantee me the job I wanted out of boot camp, the Air Force probably wouldn't have taken me because I was in the process of drinking my way out of college at the time (their standard of living is the best but at the time advancement was the worst) and I didn't want anything to do with the Army. I really wanted to be a submarine SONAR tech since I had never met anyone who had been on a sub and it sounded cool to a kid in South Dakota. Also, there are no sub bases in the Midwest but plenty of AF bases and with my luck I would have ended up right back there.

Several years after I retired I found myself in the mental health clinic for the local VA hospital and was going through an assessment with a counselor that seemed new and was just following the form without actually listening. She asked what I did in the military and I told her Submarine SONAR Tech. She then asked me what branch. I didn't say anything and she looked up and must have realized what she did. I remember this every time I hear someone say THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS because yes there are.

I took the ASVAB with the intention of joining the Army but my stepfather, a Navy Vet- tried to talk me into joining the Navy but in the end I took my test scores to the Air Force and I signed up under “open electrical”.

I was a residential/industrial electrician (exactly what a civilian counterpart does) for the 1st 4 years and cross trained into the Civil Engineering controls shop and did HVAC controls and fire alarms and JSIIDS (security alarms) for the last 6.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

some news regarding grain exports

Kadyrov published video of him allegedly visiting sick uncle

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 20, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm upset by the doctor wearing his surgical mask under his nose. :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

beer_war posted:

I'm upset by the doctor wearing his surgical mask under his nose. :argh:
Given the context I’m okay with it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
In high school I considered joining the Air Force, but my medical history kept me out.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

in high school I had the military recruiter from Fahrenheit 9/11 come to my house a couple times trying to recruit me to the marines. I strung him along but decided to be gay instead. Next year the iraq war started on my birthday.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HKR posted:

in high school I had the military recruiter from Fahrenheit 9/11 come to my house a couple times trying to recruit me to the marines. I strung him along but decided to be gay instead. Next year the iraq war started on my birthday.

Dubya: "Happy Birthday! You're welcome."

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I sat down and did the math, and if I hadn't slept through the recruiter picking me up and taking me to the ASFAB test, I would have been exactly 3 1/2 years into the US Army when 9/11 happened.

Massive respect to everyone who served, but I've always felt that sleeping through that alarm clock was a gift.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Vampire Panties posted:

I sat down and did the math, and if I hadn't slept through the recruiter picking me up and taking me to the ASFAB test, I would have been exactly 3 1/2 years into the US Army when 9/11 happened.

Massive respect to everyone who served, but I've always felt that sleeping through that alarm clock was a gift.

It was

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I was told well in advance that comms is the by far easiest service branch in the army, that's what I asked for from the draft board and that was it.

Especially after it was made clear that I can choose whatever I want as long as its this certain garrison I choose from, and if I don't choose from there my request will be denied and I will be randomly assigned to god knows what god knows where.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HKR posted:

replace high school with college and gay with diabetic and you basically have me

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Vampire Panties posted:

I was in JROTC in highschool around 9/11. I got a high score on the ASVAB and the recruiters used to call my house a lot right after the invasion of Iraq. I remember telling a Marine recruiter that if I was as smart as they said I was why on earth would I want to go get shot at in Iraq? Handful of friends did tours in Iraq and all came back some kinda hosed up.

War sucks.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Tried to sign up with the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves and got denied based on asthma and a peanut allergy. After seeing Steve review enough Canadian rations, yeah, I can see why a peanut allergy would have been a big problem since they put peanut butter in drat near every MRE. Probably best I got denied anyways.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I woke up on 9/11 and it was basically already over because I'm on the west coast

I remember there was some big prayer circle in the courtyard of my high school and this one kid named Bruno, who was the son of a legit made guy in the mob, was running around drawing pentagrams in marker around the circle and going "praise Satan!" and poo poo to troll them. Bruno would later be arrested for selling drugs, do two years in prison, then get arrested again and while he was out on bail, somehow smuggled himself to Mexico and then to Thailand and was never heard from again. Many assumed he was involved in his father's business in some aspect by that point. In addition to loving selling drugs and trolling evangelical high schoolers, he was also a fantastic classical pianist and blew everyone away with some Chopin at the talent show. Bruno also was the guy who gave me a burned copy of GTA2 and introduced me to warez back in the late 90s. Cool guy.

That's my story. Thanks.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Toxic Mental posted:

I woke up on 9/11 and it was basically already over because I'm on the west coast

I remember there was some big prayer circle in the courtyard of my high school and this one kid named Bruno, who was the son of a legit made guy in the mob, was running around drawing pentagrams in marker around the circle and going "praise Satan!" and poo poo to troll them. Bruno would later be arrested for selling drugs, do two years in prison, then get arrested again and while he was out on bail, somehow smuggled himself to Mexico and then to Thailand and was never heard from again. Many assumed he was involved in his father's business in some aspect by that point. In addition to loving selling drugs and trolling evangelical high schoolers, he was also a fantastic classical pianist and blew everyone away with some Chopin at the talent show. Bruno also was the guy who gave me a burned copy of GTA2 and introduced me to warez back in the late 90s. Cool guy.

That's my story. Thanks.

Dude rules.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are you sure Bruno wasn't the prisoner goon who posted in GBS a few months ago?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

He's considerably less bloated looking in that video than more recent photos of him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

weg posted:

Someone should really give a storm shadow the Marlboro racing livery.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

That's my story. Thanks.

I'd just gone to school on the morning of 9/11 when we heard a loudspeaker announcement telling us school was closed today, but without giving us any reasons, and they told us to all go home. My school wasn't far away from where I lived, so I just walked back there, puzzling over why they sent us home. Then I found out on the news as soon as I came back. Schools and colleges remained shut here for three days, and hardly anyone stirred out of their houses unless they urgently had to. But the fear of what happened lingered here for many months after.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Der Kyhe posted:

I was told well in advance that comms is the by far easiest service branch in the army, that's what I asked for from the draft board and that was it.

I didn't even get to choose. I was a Jehovah's Witness growing up, but I drifted away far enough for them to withdraw their "you don't have to serve because you're a JW" waiver. Then like a month before the II/03 arrival group started service, I got a courier delivery of some assignment papers out of the blue, and was told to report to the Field Artillery Brigade in a month.

Worked out fine, turns out huge howitzers and cannons are fun and it was easy to stand out enough to go home with a distinguished service award from the unit.

When you were in signals, did you do/have done to you the "put some fish in the BMP's air vents before going home to leave the next guys a fun surprise" källi? Or did you even have a communications vehicle?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I had to give a presentation in my Spanish class on any topic I wanted that day but I hadn't done anything at all on it, so I was saved by the collapse of the twin towers. The next day in the morning I recorded a Telemundo news segment about 9/11 and just played the VHS segment in front of the class and that was my "presentation" with a very short prompt beforehand.

Thanks, Osama Bin Laden.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:actually: He smoked Marley's so that the X-Files producers didn't have to pay Phillip Morris for the rights to use Marlboro.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Toxic Mental posted:

I had to give a presentation in my Spanish class on any topic I wanted that day but I hadn't done anything at all on it, so I was saved by the collapse of the twin towers. The next day in the morning I recorded a Telemundo news segment about 9/11 and just played the VHS segment in front of the class and that was my "presentation" with a very short prompt beforehand.

Thanks, Osama Bin Laden.

Sell the VBS Segment on SA mart

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Thanks, Osama Bin Laden.

Mistakes into miracles.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1704566145930420416#m

quote:

⚡️New details have emerged of today's attack on a command post of the rf Black Sea Fleet near Sevastopol.

According to our sources in the Security Service of Ukraine, the military base was smashed by missiles that hit the target precisely. This was a joint special operation of the Security Service of Ukraine, the Air Force and the AFU Navy.

The russian generals had designated this base as their reserve command centre so that they would not be harassed at their main location. The strike was carried out after the Security Service verified the data that the military unit actually houses commanders of the enemy fleet.

Not only the enemy's manpower was hit, but also expensive military systems that were at this base.
The SBU promises that the "bavovna season" in Crimea will continue.
ouch.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Where is your firmness now, Russia?

Burns
May 10, 2008

What does bazovna mean?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I read that as bossanova instead of bavovna... thought it was some dancing jibe at that russain ballet war reenactment vid from yesterday. :rolleyes: :kiddo:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Another day another

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1704438446851285427?t=KddaEPEUFi-ResxkS3n7jw&s=19

They seem to be able to get the SU24s much closer to the juicy targets in south Crimea lately

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Burns posted:

What does bazovna mean?

Bavovna means cotton in Ukrainian. Russians refer to explosions as хлопок, which can mean either cotton or bangs/explosions, depending on which syllable is stressed.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Is it ukrainians or russians talking, can we tell ?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Thanks, Osama Bin Laden.

Donde esta la bibliotheca torre?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Poland stops sending weapons to Ukraine says PM

The_Franz posted:

He's considerably less bloated looking in that video than more recent photos of him.

photoshopped or non-photoshopped photos?

some contradicting news regading ATACMS, but they probably won't be in the next package

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 20, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Toxic Mental posted:

Thanks, Osama Bin Laden.

El Qaeda