Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

my fetish is whatever the gently caress intune is currently called

Pretty sure they gave in and finally renamed it back to Intune, or at least announced they're doing that. (This might have been a fever dream but I'm too lazy to check right now).

Of course they then went all in on this Entra bullshit (Azure portal is now showing "Entra ID" as a tile rather than "Azure Active Directory"), so for fucks sake Microsoft. Just hire a marketing department every like 10 years, only develop new names, and leave the old ones alone. Use the extra budget you saved on marketing to rehire QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why you got in so much trouble for the conference room malfunction. If it's used constantly, then any issues should apparent and addressed pretty quickly. If they have an important meeting, they should schedule a technician to come by and assist with the startup.

At my job, users can request an IT tech to come by and assist with starting up the AV system. If we're not available at the beginning of the meeting, then we try and schedule time in advance to walk users through the process. There's also laminated instructions in each conference room showing how to use the system.

Having a tech come by 3 times a week just to test the system makes me think the whole thing is held together by tape and popsicle sticks.

It was more that I was stressed out and was a little short with a contractor we have that was in the room and moved stuff and got the Ethernet disconnected. Third party talked to my boss about it, even though the contractor was totally fine.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That makes sense. So, the contractor was cool with it.. in this situation. But if you're going to do it then, are you going to do it to someone outside the company who isn't going to be as cool with it, maybe someone a little more important to the company business than a contractor? That's how they're looking at it.

I would honestly have explained it all to your boss, including the getting short thing, immediately. And just understand why he'd overall be pretty strong with you about it about not letting it happen again, and maybe even for damage control I might go up to him and be like 'Hey, I thought about that situation, should have kept my cool of course but also talked to you immediately after anyway, wont let it happen again etc etc' somewhat nicely worded and be sincere. You don't gotta suck up or show your belly with it. Though I could see why anyone wouldn't want to do the damage control part.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Very true. I think managers respect people who show accountability in situations like that. A simple "x went wrong and I'm doing y to prevent it from happening again" would be sufficient.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Conference rooms suck, no matter what type of technology you put in it. Too many interconnected systems, and if any one of them has a hiccup it's a world of hurt.

We spent 22k overhauling one of the main conference rooms at my last job, and while it was substantially improved and actually pretty sweet when it was finished it still had the odd issue from time to time where someone from IT had to rush in and save the day.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Very true. I think managers respect people who show accountability in situations like that. A simple "x went wrong and I'm doing y to prevent it from happening again" would be sufficient.

Yeah true the issue is that it can be a smidge of a cya workplace, mistakes not treated as learning opportunities and such got me spooked to tell him about stuff and take accountability rather then hope it doesn’t get back to him.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 20, 2023

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

https://cheezburger.com/22262277/top-times-unsupportive-tech-coworkers-finally-got-fired-and-left-with-a-bang

Does anyone wanna watch me code golang while naked on my onlyfans? I can do python, terraform, or ansible. Perl is way way extra.

How much to code a Perl necklace with your Python skills?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vargatron posted:

I was extremely short with someone when they were assigned to do a Linux thing and I was asked to provide knowledge. I assumed - incorrectly - that the person that they asked to do a Linux thing had ever touched Linux in any way. I realized... kind... quickly that this poor guy was thrown into an impossible situation and I was being a dick.We got it done, I pointed him at some learning resources, apologized, and moved on to my next thing.

About an hour later I get a chat and a meeting request from one of the leaders on the other tech's team. This is someone I have an excellent working relationship with, so I'll take a call from them any time. Especially when I know why he wants a call specifically now.

We do the "hey, how ya doing?" stuff and then I say "Is this about $PERSON ? Because I hosed up." I said what I did and how I recovered on the call. I also made it clear that $PERSON was right to go to their leadership because he shouldn't have had that experience, ever, and I felt bad that it was me.

I still have an excellent working relationship with everyone involved, and that whole team in general. In large part for having a reputation for not doing that sort of poo poo, and in an important part for having a rep of owning it if I gently caress up.

My takeaway from recent discussion is that I forgot to notify my leadership and if I make another mistake, I won't compound it.

Managers
Hate
Surprises

I've even been in the manager's shoes recently. Someone reached out to me because they hadn't heard from the tech working a ticket for a while. I checked the notes and came back with advice to check your email and chat, the tech did what I would have done and is waiting on you for permission for the next steps. That got my guy a callout in a team meeting for excellent ticket notes and $50 worth of peer recognition awards.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Always document poo poo in tickets.

It makes you look professional, it gives you evidence of what you’ve done to point to that will let you windmill dunk on a Karen-user and it gives you something to point someone to when they come to you saying

“Hey, I’ve got a ticket for $issue — didn’t you work $issue before?”

“Yeah, check these notes out.”

Oh and it’s good for your own records with weird one-off poo poo should it ever repeat.

poo poo applies to code too, comment that poo poo.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
My coworker just messaged me pointing out we have four meetings scheduled this morning, all an hour long. Way to ruin my morning.

All four of these meetings can be accomplished in a single message on teams each.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

tehinternet posted:

Always document poo poo in tickets.

It makes you look professional, it gives you evidence of what you’ve done to point to that will let you windmill dunk on a Karen-user and it gives you something to point someone to when they come to you saying

“Hey, I’ve got a ticket for $issue — didn’t you work $issue before?”

“Yeah, check these notes out.”

Oh and it’s good for your own records with weird one-off poo poo should it ever repeat.

poo poo applies to code too, comment that poo poo.

I've been trying to get the younger new guys on our team to do this; not only because it's professional or CYA, but we sometimes have to cover each other's zones in the hospital (or pull on-call) and it's infuriating when people respond and you have to figure out what happened/what the resolution was because someone was too lazy to put something in the ticket.

Edit: also, even if the user is someone you trust always get poo poo in an email/attach that email to the ticket!!! Once people's asses are on the line poo poo can go downhill fast until you pull out their own words.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 20, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

codo27 posted:

Has anyone come up with a solution for god damned WSD printer ports? Is there something I can do on the network end to make them not gently caress themselves constantly? Last I checked I dont believe there's a way to remove this terminally troublesome issue. Were they created with some well meaning intention to create tickets and keep computer touchers employed?

I am way late to this because I haven't been able to get to a non-work computer for a couple of days, but my suggestion is to use PowerShell. You can make the GUI play nice if you know what you're doing, but it's just too annoying and PowerShell is fast and flawless. Use AddPrinterPort first and then Add-Printer. If this is something you do a lot you can just set variables for everything and then switch the values when you do a new one, or if it's REALLY a lot you can just make it prompt at runtime for all the variables.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cyks posted:

My coworker just messaged me pointing out we have four meetings scheduled this morning, all an hour long. Way to ruin my morning.

All four of these meetings can be accomplished in a single message on teams each.

I asked my customer for a 1 hour meeting this week and they scheduled a 1 hour meeting every day this week at 4. And then another 45 minute meeting today at 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My favorite is the people that spam out "hold" meetings, asking people to accept the ones that they can attend because "I don't know when everyone is available."

Yes you do, just look at calendar availability. But when you confront them with that info, it's always "but there's no slot when everyone is free."

I don't know what to tell you there except that maybe everyone has too many meetings then. Either pick the slot based on when your most important stakeholder for the meeting is free or push it out until everyone is free. Also, maybe, possibly, see if what you want could maybe be covered in an email or teams message and forego the meeting altogether.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not to mention the scheduling assistant can auto pick the next available time for everyone. They’re just lazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

devmd01 posted:

They’re just lazy.

In my experience it's less laziness and more self importance.

"The next slot when everyone is available is two weeks from now, I want to meet this afternoon on this!"

No, sorry, you don't get to blow up what everyone else has planned for the day because you have a last minute whim.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bull3964 posted:

In my experience it's less laziness and more self importance.

"The next slot when everyone is available is two weeks from now, I want to meet this afternoon on this!"

No, sorry, you don't get to blow up what everyone else has planned for the day because you have a last minute whim.

we had a salesman have one of our clients have a reoccurring issue with our product.

Instead of calling us to open up a ticket and have us look at it and tell him what we can do to mitigate the issue like everyone else since it was his client it obviously merited a full meeting.

And to make absolutely sure the issue was resolved he sent the meeting invite to everyone on our team's directory. So every L1, L2 tech + our bosses up to the boss's boss's boss's boss who really only did strategic planning was invited to stop what they were doing for an hour and stop helping every other client for this one dude's issue he hasn't even tried opening a ticket for.

Also the client didn't actually use our product. They used a different product our company sells with a similar branding that our team does not support.

Nobody from the team that does support that product was invited.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I went golfing with a stranger once, he asked me what I do, and now he's blowing me up about having a meeting to discuss what services he can sell me

I'm telling people I'm a vacuum salesman from now on

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's what you get for going golfing

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

that's what you get for going golfing

what a brave take on the internet, thank you for speaking truth to power good sir

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

maybe if you could play golf without walking on an ecological disaster I'd have come up with a different take

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't like residential lawns either

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

replace all golf courses with public parks and all lawns with native flora

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Let's be fair, golf would still be a boring, dumb sport that nobody should play regardless of the existence of golf courses

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Minigolf is good and fun.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Invite them for a rousing game of everybody’s golf

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
9-hole executive courses are quite enjoyable and compact, as well as pitch and putt. Who has time for a full game of golf in this day and age

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

johnny park posted:

Let's be fair, golf would still be a boring, dumb sport that nobody should play regardless of the existence of golf courses

This is the correct take, ecological issues aside

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm not going to kink shame for having boring hobbies, but will absolutely kink shame for having hobbies that support elitism and damage local ecosystems

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
golfing should only be done by lesbians to take down crime syndicates on giant robot courses imo

e: and minigolf

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to feel pain load up Phoenix in google maps and scroll around the suburbs. Anywhere you see green is a golf course and they are everywhere.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Make the golf course a public sex forest!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

parking lots and airbnbs are additional things I'll rant about given half a chance

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Cool, we in the network team are getting tickets about people running into problems running Teams while remote and possibly not on company equipment.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

parking lots and airbnbs are additional things I'll rant about given half a chance

I'm only giving you a quarter chance so pick wisely

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CitizenKain posted:

Cool, we in the network team are getting tickets about people running into problems running Teams while remote and possibly not on company equipment.

Ticket closed; sucks to suck

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I'm only giving you a quarter chance so pick wisely

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

Ticket closed; sucks to suck

The tickets are so poorly entered that even the managers are upset at how little information is.

Fun thing: we are a Citrix shop and it has been Decreed that everything must be in Citrix. Even apps that you really shouldn't. Like Teams.

Oh, this user had a problem when on their cell phone and not in one of our branches.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 20, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

every oracle product ever made is absolute poo poo-tier garbage for morons and simpletons

change my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I've taken up Disc Golf, which is usually just an add on to established parks and athletic areas. It's a lot of fun to ruin a scenic walk by whipping plastic frisbees into trees and losing them in bushes :)