Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Like 90% of my Civilization time since IV is multiplayer on Marathon speed, although it's just two-player MP with my brother and most of the time we live in peace with each other anyway, so I've no idea about big group games either. Defending against a human player with a lot of planes seems pretty tough in VI though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kanfy posted:

Defending against a human player with a lot of planes seems pretty tough in VI though.

I'm watching the ww2 week by week series on YouTube and this is pretty true to life at least

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'd assume most MP games don't make it to planes—but if you do make it that far before the game is decided, bombers have always been a big turning point in making offence much easier in the series (or at least since IV). It's pretty noticeable against the AI too, except you're never on the receiving end since the AI doesn't really understand planes

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Did a full six-Goon MP game years ago, lasted about 9 months with each player taking on average a turn a day (one goon was in Spain, so that delayed things a bit).

The winner (Gandhi) won a culture victory, but there was plenty of war. Early on India became suzerain of Kandy, so I (Trajan) conquered it rather than try to wrestle with envoys. Obviously made Gandhi mad. Gandhi and I were neighbors, and mutual neighbors with Cyrus. Gandhi launched an invasion of Persia in mid-game and was in the process of steamrolling them, so I also declared war on Cyrus so as to prevent Gandhi from gobbling up everything. Then toward the late game when Gandhi had reached the "click next turn until you win" stage of pursuing a cultural victory, I launched an all-out assault on India. Tank armies and artillery versus civil defenses and machine guns, real World War I poo poo. Broke through the encampment defenses, laid siege to Delhi but Gandhi won about two turns before I would've taken the city. Never got to planes.

So Gandhi won on a turtle victory condition, but there was definitely consequential conflict. Probably the best gaming experience I've ever had tbh.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seems pretty fun. I could join a game like that (but only if we turn off religious and diplo victory)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

This was vanilla 6, so no world Congress and religion was still really bad, so neither of those were factors. I dunno how the world Congress would work out with only humans; part of the problem with it versus the AI is it’s so easy to game. Don’t know if that’d be true of humans.

And the primary sources of envoy points—suzerainty and alliances—you can control, too. Conquer city states and don’t form alliances!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The world Congress, poo poo as it may be, might actually be super interesting with only human players. Could be all sorts of backroom deals going on.

drat, I'm itching for a MP goon game now.

Seconding turning off those victories though (although I imagine a religious victory being basically impossible against the perfidious human)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Religion is still bad even after all the DLCs imo

edict: Im bad at Civ 6 even though I have soime hundreds of hours on it and never played MP but always wanted to try and a full MP game seems a lot more fun. It would be my first time seeing how is civ 6 experience is when not playing against a braindead cheating AI

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 20, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I think religion is good now, it’s just tedious to maintain. They’ve added good non-religion uses for faith which helps a lot. And yeah, in a MP game I can’t imagine religious victory actually being feasible since you can just murder your opponents’ religious units (also removing their religion from your cities, too).

I would be so down for a goon game, but the difference in my life now versus then is two kids, an extra job, and other frivolous hobbies I’ve picked up, so I’m unfortunately out. But highly encourage goons to get a game going, it’s crazy how much better you play when you only get one turn a day and so spend 10-15 minutes microanalyzing everything.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 20, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The problem for me is religious combat, which is tedious and annoying and a lot of work. The rest is fine

edit: its like, another, parallel, layer of units you have to click and move to play a simpler and a lot more bland version of the same combat you play with regular units.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 20, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Microplastics posted:

I'm watching the ww2 week by week series on YouTube and this is pretty true to life at least

Hell yeah man how bout these crazy 25 minute episodes so much happening

Civ IV had these great scenarios like one set in 1941 Europe for WW2 and they were fun to muck around in. Do any modders create historical snapshot games like that now?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Civ6 has a bunch of those, with custom tech trees and mechanics. Dunno which expansion added them, I just got it all in a big pile.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I, uh, just accidentally won a culture victory in the Classical era on Immortal. The Reliquaries follower belief is really good, whoops.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goon Civ was loving awesome back in the day. The chat-box diplomacy was insane. The game’s become so different when trade and deals aren’t just what the trade menu says.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

When the old Civ Goon steam group was active and we played online games (one set game day every day, 2h session, if everyone agreed, we'd go on longer, if one wanted to stop, we'd stop.), the diplomacy wheeling and dealing was good. And often the race to victory was one or two countries, with the rest remaining too far behind, but that didn't mean they were out of the game. Usually the major powers tried to use the lesser ones as bludgeons to harass the bigger ones, or as uranium farms, or as countries producing units and gifting them over the border, or something.

The World Congress votes were also a huge player diplomacy circus.

I once partook in the most amazing backstab where I and a fellow goon were bribed by a strong country to build a navy in secret to send it to his aid, and after receiving insane amounts of gold, built it, sailed across the ocean, and then using private game chat, sold our allegiance to his opponent, and the most powerful civ with a good lead in game was toppled and brought down by the navy and invasion force he paid for himself.

It was this Steam Group years ago. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv
We really didn't have much of house rules besides no war declaration for first 40 turns or so. Sometimes games would start from medieval age to speed up games. There'd be a set time to play, such as Sunday 1200 GMT, and the session lenght was 2 hours. If you had to leave earlier, AI took over or you could have someone else play as your civ, but people would play for that two hours. After the two hours, we'd often keep playing but only if everyone agreed to go on and as soon as one would want to quit and save, we'd stop as not to drag sessions on without players. We'd post announcement for a "sub" in case a player didn't show up, and I don't think we missed many games at all. The subbing player would get like a quick recap from the original player of his general plan and strategy, and that'd be it, he'd execute his vision. The games were good times, and the diplomacy was of no equal. Backroom deals were plenty, and negotiations, too. You could sell units, navies, workers, take resources, sell them forward. The AI will never be able to replicate a global rogue mercenary army on a whim, nor can the AI play neutral between two superpowers, selling info on both of em and come out as the winner of the game. It was proven throughout the games that going for victory right away was dumb, it'd only lead into a global coalition against you as your numbers start racking up. All players aimed for victory, unlike in a computer game. So you had to play a little bit differently, and not be really distinct from the rest. Or if you were, better make sure you can steamroll the world.

War would evolve weirdly when one turn a huge coalition breaks apart, peace was brokered by some, and the whole diplomacy chart turns upside down and the world is a mess.
I wish I had some screenshots of Steam Convos that are pages of pages of policy and trade discussion, then a sudden all caps "MOTHERFUCKER YOU SOLD ME OUT AFTER 300 TURNS YOU TRAITOR!" and incoherent typing.

Here's some screenshots of the all amazing all chat.

This picture is the great naval backstab with Sweden aiming for world dominance, trying to fight back the other major opponent, morocco, and paying for a huge foreign armada to help him. One turn before he'd be backstabbed. Up until the very last moment, he believed he had basically won the game by beating back Morocco.

I forgot the context besides the fact that the other player was asking furiously if some extra military exercises were being done behind his border, and everything was firmly denied.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

I, uh, just accidentally won a culture victory in the Classical era on Immortal. The Reliquaries follower belief is really good, whoops.

So something was sitting wrong with me and I went back to have a look at this save: Turns out the AI was just kinda wallowing about doing nothing, so the tourism from two hero relics was enough to overwhelm seven Immortal opponents.

Can also send the save file to anyone who wants a gander, but I gotta ask: What on Earth is going on here? Look at those science/culture yields, the gently caress? I'm using LateGameAI and LategameStrategy mods, but surely the lack of early warriors and scouts isn't doing this? It's really spoiled any desire to start a new game =[

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

So something was sitting wrong with me and I went back to have a look at this save: Turns out the AI was just kinda wallowing about doing nothing, so the tourism from two hero relics was enough to overwhelm seven Immortal opponents.

Can also send the save file to anyone who wants a gander, but I gotta ask: What on Earth is going on here? Look at those science/culture yields, the gently caress? I'm using LateGameAI and LategameStrategy mods, but surely the lack of early warriors and scouts isn't doing this? It's really spoiled any desire to start a new game =[

Did they all just get barb hosed and were never able to recover? I've seen it happen, but never to all of the opponents at once

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Serephina posted:

Wouldn't surprise me that with the "late game" mods, everybody in this screenshot other than the Netherlands and Maya got absolutely bodied by the first barbarian camp to spot their capital. What other game modes are you running besides heroes? If you've got zombies on, it's that. If you've got barb clans turned on, then theoretically barbs are easier to deal with because you can buy discount units, but idk if the AI does that; meanwhile I'm pretty sure that sometimes the AI hits the "raid" button when they really oughta kill a camp, so I think barb clans also makes it more likely for the AIs to eat poo poo.

Beyond that, maybe a lot of them got stuck cramped together on lovely land? E.g. Nubia, with yields that low, probably has a big desert and very little food/production, since they have a desert start bias.

e:fb

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Serephina posted:

A mod completely hosed your game. There’s no way on immortal any AI should be behind you at all at that point in the game, never mind that far behind. Does it try to rebalance the early game by making the AI play “better”? Civ VI is honestly pretty complex for a mod “better” ai to beat even a competent human without bonuses because so much of the game is context dependent.

I mean turn 107 and one of your opponents has 5 culture per turn the AI on settler difficulty does better than that just from having an incense or two.

Edit: drat it what gives culture. Silk? Coffee? Tobacco?

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 22, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Silk and coffee. Tobacco and incense are faith.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Doesn't amber give culture as well?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah I was thinking among the plantation luxuries.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man, they really phoned it in with the later leader animations, huh? Theodora looks like a mannequin.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some are ok, like Julius, but Ramses II is unbelievable, not just his animations, he really looks like an asset port from a different game.

I've not seen Elizabeth ingame yet but I'm curious about how her static picture looks like it missed the "comic" treatment everyone else got.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Serephina posted:

Some are ok, like Julius, but Ramses II is unbelievable, not just his animations, he really looks like an asset port from a different game.

I've not seen Elizabeth ingame yet but I'm curious about how her static picture looks like it missed the "comic" treatment everyone else got.

I love Rammy 2's defeat animation because of its reference.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Every time João's girth presents itself on my screen, the game gets laggy as all hell.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
animations off, modded out trade request spam, the less I see of those guys the better

gimme back the civ 5 leaders :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Never had much problems with trade request spam, it turns out out proactively selling everything with the quick deals mod breaks the early game wide open smooths out those niggles.

----

Speaking of mods, and why I deal with hosed-up scenarios like that above screenshot; The default difficulty scaling sucks. Not just the digging-self out of hole stuff, but like you're not even allowed to use a bunch of fundamental mechanics on higher difficulties; goodie huts exist almost solely for the computer players to devour, which affects my ability to get Voidsingers on a religion game. I can use that mod that removes all their early units and gives flat + yields instead, but when playing on Marathon the barbs now steamroll them as nobody really techs out of slingers fast enough. I could disable barbs, but that would remove vampires from the game instead, also a bunch of tech boosts and is just a boring idea in general.

Sigh. At least the advice to use shattered fractal with low sea levels has been producing consistently interesting terrain with a good balance of seas, so thanks to whoever suggested that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Serephina posted:

Never had much problems with trade request spam, it turns out out proactively selling everything with the quick deals mod breaks the early game wide open smooths out those niggles.

I've just started a game with Real AI Strategy (or whatever it's called) and the AI is still willing to hand over a lot of cash for horses and iron they're not even gonna use. They also sell luxuries for dirt cheap

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I've just started a game with Real AI Strategy (or whatever it's called) and the AI is still willing to hand over a lot of cash for horses and iron they're not even gonna use. They also sell luxuries for dirt cheap

We've had to put down some ground rules in our coop hotseat games. We can sell luxuries to the AI, but not buy any. Can't sell or buy favours, either, nor great works (not that you'd sell great works). Or sell access for chump change - it all adds up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Microplastics posted:

I'm pretty sure the diplomacy aspect is fundamentally unmoddable so yeah, it pretty much takes house rules to avoid abusing one-sided trades.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I enjoyed civ a lot more once I stopped trying to beat hard AIs, dropped the difficulty down, and started playing it as a roleplay city builder where the AI is a RNG to keep the narrative interesting but not really a threat to win unless I really hamstring myself with roleplay decisions.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Soylent Pudding posted:

I enjoyed civ a lot more once I stopped trying to beat hard AIs, dropped the difficulty down, and started playing it as a roleplay city builder where the AI is a RNG to keep the narrative interesting but not really a threat to win unless I really hamstring myself with roleplay decisions.

Thats what I do

I play on Emperor, with most victory conditions off. I only leave domination and science on, but I suppose I could turn off those too cause I never play trough the end

I just try to make the most best and most interesting civ until the tech tree is finished, which is usually when I drop the game

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

(one goon was in Spain, so that delayed things a bit).

That was me, I was also in the process of moving and I fondly recall running back to my hotel room to play my drat turn.

I rolled Alexander, and Cyrus did a ballsy amphibious assault on me that backfired and allowed me to counter invade with over promoted Hypaspists only to get out-teched and lose most of my conquered Persia to Rome. I don't think I ever had a good chance at winning but it was cool to stay until the end and try to stay relevant.

I played 3-4 more games with goons this way but I think this was the most fun.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 25, 2023

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Quote is not edit. Planeposting.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ulvino posted:

That was me

Hell yeah! Everyone was a good sport about your delay, and then at one point my motherboard fried so I was out of commission for several days, again once I had my laptop back I Took My drat Turn and the game progressed as normal.

I had forgotten you had gotten in on Persia too, lol. drat, that was at least 7 years ago at this point.

The Persia player (Roland Jones is/was their SA username) got me back on our next game. Think he conquered me around 1000 B.C., had just finished the Oracle in London so it was a nice prize for them.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the full civ 6 bundle looks to be about $20. i haven’t played since release basically. at this point in the lifespan of civ v there were 2-3 good UI/AI mods that you’d want installed if you were ready to move past the vanilla experience. are there any kind of equivalent mods for VI? i don’t have any particular issues in mind and i’m sure they’d have changed since release anyway, so i’m not even 100% sure what would need modding

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never used any mods for 5, but in 6 I use a couple of UI/QoL ones.

Highly Recommended:
Detailed Map Tacks - Helps a ton with forward-planning your cities and figuring out district adjacency bonuses that will arise in the future. Invisible if you don't use them, so harmless to enable. Best mod in the game by far.
Extended Policy Cards - Shows the actual numerical bonuses that various policies give you without you having to do the math. Not infallible and doesn't work on a few cards, but good.
Enhanced Camera - Let you zoom in and out much further. Sounds frivolous, but being able to see your entire empire all at once helps when issuing move orders.

Firm Maybe's:
Quick Deals - QoL one that skips the diplomacy screen haggling to show you what you can maximally extract out of the computer players with a single click. Very strong, requires self-restraint not to abuse, even if it's only automating things you'd have done yourself.
Better Report Screen - I don't use the reports much to begin with, and this clutters stuff around a lot, but it does show a bit more.

Non-Mods:
The Yields Ribbon - is hidden by default, shows a tiny amount of incredibly useful info. In the options somewhere.
You can rotate the camera! - press alt. Yes, this is useless. But pretty! Use with enhanced camera mod above to really appreciate a scout petting his dog.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its not totally useless, you can pan around and see if you can see a map edge, or zoom in on a perfect 'look at my glorious city' angle. Its only mostly useless.

Quick deals should be in Highly Recommended. No more fitzing around to see if Shaka will pay an extra 10 gold for my oysters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
great thanks for those. i know it’s probably not ideal but has anyone played on a steam deck? my partner has one i can use sometimes and civ seems like, graphically, a good fit. not sure if steam workshop would allow those mods to be used in conjunction or what, i basically know nothing about the hardware other than to expect lower performance than a modern PC

i mean i know CIV has been ported to ipad before and it was kind of OK from what i remember, but