Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The dumbest possible outcome would be the GOP shutting down the US government at the end of this month causing the money pipeline into Ukraine to stop and Ukraine to collapse. Biden admin would be secretly ecstatic to see the not only an end to the Ukraine quagmire, but also to be able to blame the loss on the GOP's treason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden will likely violate the law to get the money to Ukraine. It's going there one way or another.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Subvisual Haze posted:

The dumbest possible outcome would be the GOP shutting down the US government at the end of this month causing the money pipeline into Ukraine to stop and Ukraine to collapse. Biden admin would be secretly ecstatic to see the not only an end to the Ukraine quagmire, but also to be able to blame the loss on the GOP's treason.

And Ukraine is split in 2 Germany style. It seems inevitable its such a stupid result.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's nothing philosophical about rulers making decisions to keep themselves in power. that's why they're in power.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Doesn't the US try color revolution in all of Russia's peripheral countries. I am reading up the Armenia 2018 "revolution" it gave a very familiar color revolution feel.

Also, Navalny's poisoning episode, didn't it have Germany meddling?

Kazakhstan just weeks before the war started.

And while Navalny might have been real or not, the reason he was successful was because he had support from Kremlin. Also while he was popular he was a lovely political organizers and couldn't organize any sort of political action besides just getting people to stand around and do nothing.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BillsPhoenix posted:

Bit philosophical, but sure, in that case it was inevitable, but pre war there were other options, this war didn't have to happen.

It's not philosophical to acknowledge that the last thirty years of human history lead to the things that happen today. When the west decided that the Russian oligarchs shouldn't be allowed to join the rest of the capitalist gangsters running the world they were also deciding that this confrontation had to happen eventually, due to how the mechanisms of imperial capitalist extraction work. The contradiction in interests has to be resolved eventually.

The reason they made that decision might have been arrogance or leftover grudge-holding but the result is what matters.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023

Zodium posted:

there's nothing philosophical about rulers making decisions to keep themselves in power. that's why they're in power.

Sorry, in regards to inevitable. I can't really respond to your titans of east/west capitalism because I don't even sort of view this situation or the world that way. Example - Musk is far more obsessed with getting laid than materialism or what not.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Theoretically a lot can happen, but in reality, the West saw Russian weakness in Ukraine and was going to continue to exploit it and eventually the Russians were going to respond. Putin does deserve to get poo poo on for a bunch of poor decisions over the years, but even in his liberal brain, he eventually figured it out...a couple months after the invasion happened.

As far as Navalny being backed by the Kremlin, it is wishful thinking because his entire movement fizzled.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Sep 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Biden sought this conflict because he thought he could win I suppose

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Lol

I don't disagree but I also can't see a division of US troops, however nice their trainers were, willingly marching to their deaths so that some other divisions somewhere else don't get encircled and annihilated or whatever. Especially in a real war when the chances of death are much higher than when you're fighting dirt farmers armed with sticks. The giving-a-gently caress just isn't there and that's a society thing more than a training thing.

You can also look at the number of Ukrainian troops willing to sashay straight into a minefield despite their training environment being questionable at best - for better or worse they believe they need to crush the ruscists.

I don't think we're really talking about the same thing. Soldiering isn't like a movie, I never saw combat even. The idea that I'd be sacrificed in some blunder of a battle maneuver with a peer foe honestly never crossed my mind, because it wasn't a possibility. What I'm saying is that if the army were more like a real job, with a more supportive bootcamp, it would encourage an overall workplace culture that combined with decent pay and benefits would see much higher rates of retention. People want to do the job, it is a good deal (if you remove moral implications), but the downright abusive training process turns away people that would otherwise be great for the job.

After all this, I must say, don't join the army, just don't do it.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

drat Russia was stupid as gently caress for ever agreeing to the grain deal

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

BillsPhoenix posted:

Bit philosophical, but sure, in that case it was inevitable, but pre war there were other options, this war didn't have to happen.

It's really more physical than philosophical, but I don't disagree with you. The war was both inevitable AND didn't have to happen. There were alternatives not pursued, and now we're on a timeline where there's indefinite trench warfare in eastern Ukraine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The war was inevitable because it started in 2014. Can't just make the past unhappen.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BillsPhoenix posted:

I think what people are pointing out is that there were not really other options if you take the view that war is the continuation of politics and all peaceful resolutions had been refused.

A path where Russia chooses not to go to war is one where they don’t feel they need to, but remember that no concessions have been made to them since this all began in the Orange Revolution.

Russia chose to wait and see, a pro-Russian party gained power via electoral means, and then there was another colour revolution - this time with Nazis.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yes, but this would require the dems to not gently caress up a gimmie

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BillsPhoenix posted:

Sorry, in regards to inevitable. I can't really respond to your titans of east/west capitalism because I don't even sort of view this situation or the world that way. Example - Musk is far more obsessed with getting laid than materialism or what not.

Musk being an incompetent dipshit doesn't mean that he doesn't do the same things that other billionaires do, which is (try to) protect his own personal and class interests. Having a lot of money doesn't make him more important than the people who make meaningful decisions across the world. When the capitalists act as a group is when things matter. Musk's personal place in his class is to make tweets that make stock numbers go up and down, he does that just fine.

I'm still curious as to what Russia should have done rather than invade, just let Ukraine kill every ethnic minority and Russian speaker in the country and keep building up their military until they invade Crimea?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

drat Russia was stupid as gently caress for ever agreeing to the grain deal

It was there to appease Erdogan, but yeah, it seemed pretty marginal in. Russia just gets completely burned by even the more rudimentary deal they make with the West.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine has an effective population of 700,000 at this point, so many have fled

Putin should be embarrassed he can't take the place.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BillsPhoenix posted:

it doesn't matter what elon musk is obsessed with as long as he makes decisions that turn money into more money. what decisions will do that has nothing to do with elon musk.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonsense posted:

Ukraine has an effective population of 700,000 at this point, so many have fled

Putin should be embarrassed he can't take the place.

Has Russia had any major offenses in the last year? They seem happy to just sit and let Ukraine smash it's army on their defenses.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, Musk's rise also happened in a low/zero rate environment where it was nearly impossible for very rich people to fail. His cars or rockets didn't need to work, he just needed enough people to believe in order to get some momentum in his stock price then bribe his way into government contracts.

But it really isn't an indictment about Musk as much as broader American macroeconomic policy which has been open looting since the 80s and Musk is just another grifter.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I think what people are pointing out is that there were not really other options if you take the view that war is the continuation of politics and all peaceful resolutions had been refused.

A path where Russia chooses not to go to war is one where they don’t feel they need to, but remember that no concessions have been made to them since this all began in the Orange Revolution.

Russia chose to wait and see, a pro-Russian party gained power via electoral means, and then there was another colour revolution - this time with Nazis.

A Clausewitz quoting officer, my god man, let me guess, you wax your mustache. Mad respect FF.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is it inevitable that the Korean war will resume?

With the increasing relevance and resurfacing of the memory of it, I would say yes.

If Korea isn't unified in a peaceful manner before some larger geopolitical event causes one of the two sides to act.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Right now Elon Musk is concerned with trying to squeeze blood from the stone of the "X" app and turn his 40 billion dollar loss into a profit. That's about as materialistic as it gets. The dumbass lives in the former twitter offices and is driving himself insane from lack of sleep.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really think Putin is worried about spooking Biden . Biden is pretty unstable and senile

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Right now Elon Musk is concerned with trying to squeeze blood from the stone of the "X" app and turn his 40 billion dollar loss into a profit. That's about as materialistic as it gets. The dumbass lives in the former twitter offices and is driving himself insane from lack of sleep.

Again we're all waiting for him to do something incredibly hilarious

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you could just not post about ti posters whose posts you don’t like

look how many people never post about me

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Nonsense posted:

Biden will likely violate the law to get the money to Ukraine. It's going there one way or another.
Good point. Actually if the theoretical government shutdown did happen it would be an interesting test of the Biden admin's priorities. Would they be willing to cut losses as long as they can pin the blame on the GOP, or would the war money keep flowing while government employees are getting furloughed and social security checks potentially get delayed?

BillsPhoenix posted:

And Ukraine is split in 2 Germany style. It seems inevitable its such a stupid result.
The Dnieper River does seem like a useful natural border. That would require a pretty significant collapse on Ukraine's side though. Also would require Russia to give up on taking back Kherson city, which would look kind of weak after holding referendum in that oblast. If they did try to take back Kherson city though its hard to guess where the next natural boundary would be.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
Money doesn't equate to capitalism.

The US is barely capitalist, as the govt uses taxes to redistribute wealth to large corporations, like Boeing and Exxon.

Money making money is part of class protection, but it's also part of GDP. GDP is not capitalism, it could've been a useful tool but it's mostly a metric the US can roll out to keep saying we're #1 or work harder, the GDP is in trouble.

I don't see any of that relating much to the war.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin is holding out for new leadership, then he'll storm the place

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, time for a marxism thread intervention.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't think we're really talking about the same thing. Soldiering isn't like a movie, I never saw combat even. The idea that I'd be sacrificed in some blunder of a battle maneuver with a peer foe honestly never crossed my mind, because it wasn't a possibility. What I'm saying is that if the army were more like a real job, with a more supportive bootcamp, it would encourage an overall workplace culture that combined with decent pay and benefits would see much higher rates of retention. People want to do the job, it is a good deal (if you remove moral implications), but the downright abusive training process turns away people that would otherwise be great for the job.

After all this, I must say, don't join the army, just don't do it.

The big irony of this is that in the United States it was corporate culture that took its cues from the US army, because the Cold War maintained such an unusually high rate of mobilization that millions of men entered the private sector with military conditioning..

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Is it inevitable that the Korean war will resume?

With the increasing relevance and resurfacing of the memory of it, I would say yes.

If Korea isn't unified in a peaceful manner before some larger geopolitical event causes one of the two sides to act.

I have family there and they say no, it isn't possible. They treat the North like an annoyance, not a threat.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BillsPhoenix posted:

The US is barely capitalist, as the govt uses taxes to redistribute wealth to large corporations, like Boeing and Exxon.

Money making money is part of class protection, but it's also part of GDP. GDP is not capitalism, it could've been a useful tool but it's mostly a metric the US can roll out to keep saying we're #1 or work harder, the GDP is in trouble.

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, time for a marxism thread intervention.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BillsPhoenix posted:

You've got a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what capitalism is, probably you should read Lenin.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Kazakhstan just weeks before the war started.

And while Navalny might have been real or not, the reason he was successful was because he had support from Kremlin. Also while he was popular he was a lovely political organizers and couldn't organize any sort of political action besides just getting people to stand around and do nothing.

I didn't say Kazakhstan because like Belarus, it has a "strong" government that cannot be easily pulled apart.

It's likely that Putin used Navalny as a bait to dangle in front of foreign interference forces. Also used him to draw out the "simultaneous city protest" organizers. That doesn't mean Navalny was an Op. And the west still gets blamed for trying.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
On the important question.

Russia the state acted rationally. I don't have any good ideas on alternative options.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

don't think we can help you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Virtual Russian posted:

I have family there and they say no, it isn't possible. They treat the North like an annoyance, not a threat.

Granted, I wonder how much of it is the South attacking the North, but the other way around. It wouldn't be any time soon, North Korea would need at least another decade of build up and some type of air force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

BillsPhoenix posted:

counterpoint. the u.s. is 100% capitalist, it gives money to boeing and exxon because they own it and it serves their interests. the army, the cops and the bureaucracy all exist to serve the interests of capital