Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well until you build and paint it I suppose. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody have the Cyclops demolition vehicle's measurements?

I want to kitbash some Genestealer Cult bomb drones, but I don't want to cheat their burst radius.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I wish Sister tanks were priced like ten dollars less across the board, even with 3rd party discounts they just feel too expensive. They are super cool tho.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DYorgy/status/1704527096024875221

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Turns out the way they go together is kind of clever.

The worst part might be all the covers, but in general that assembly is neat.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/20/building-the-cerastus-knights-acheron-and-castigator-including-awesome-flexible-ammo-feed/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My 1/16 M4A3E8 Sherman model has individually linked tracks. So I am gonna pass on those for my sanity.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just imagine scale modellers look at those and go "How nice" with a thousand yard stare.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn’t realize those were knights and thought they’d implemented an absolutely insane system for some sort of new devastators. The scale is a little better.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Well until you build and paint it I suppose. :v:

yeahhh it's going to be the very last thing I paint probably for that reason, it's gonna take some work lol

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Athas posted:

The Exorcist is probably the best model in the game. A pipe organ tank, and also the organ pipes are missile tubes. This transcends even art.

The new Exorcist is rad as gently caress but the old one had one detail that was absolutely perfect - The gunner? organist? had this absolutely perfect "I'm doing a sweet fuckin' solo on this thing" face. The new ones are all just kind of vanilla "I'm very determined and angry" face.

Only closeup I could find

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I didn’t realize those were knights and thought they’d implemented an absolutely insane system for some sort of new devastators. The scale is a little better.

There are definitely some wild things they are doing with the recent Knight kits when it comes to assembly. Lord knows how well that's going to lead into the design for other kits though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The new Exorcist is rad as gently caress but the old one had one detail that was absolutely perfect - The gunner? organist? had this absolutely perfect "I'm doing a sweet fuckin' solo on this thing" face. The new ones are all just kind of vanilla "I'm very determined and angry" face.

Only closeup I could find

Apparently, there's an easter egg in the newer Exorcists in that her finger placement on the organ keys corresponds to the opening notes for Tubular Bells.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do SoB play organ war songs?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Apparently, there's an easter egg in the newer Exorcists in that her finger placement on the organ keys corresponds to the opening notes for Tubular Bells.

I would've honestly expected something like Toccata and Fugue in D minor, or O Fortuna. :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It plays Baby Shark.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was really excited about the castigator and the new kit looks great, but now that it's coming out I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. I've got enough to work on right now.

The ammo feed assembly also looks like something designed to personally target hams like myself who must eliminate every moldline and visible seam. :shepface:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

xtothez posted:

In case anyone plans to buy up a load of the new space marines on release...

So that is a Mario Marines battle force.

Jump Marines and a Mario Kart.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Will there be granular weapon costs with the main books? Seems really weird that I can just CIB all my crisis suits.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

JBP posted:

Will there be granular weapon costs with the main books? Seems really weird that I can just CIB all my crisis suits.
Not in the first two codexes apparently. If granular points happen it'll probably be via the munitorium field manual. I have a suspicion it's a possibility when more codexes are out and the kinks in the app are all ironed out, because the functionality of the app to price individual weapons is very much there, and it would have made programming it much harder than if "no points for wargear" was intended to be concrete for the whole edition.

They'll probably wait for end of index hammer and overall balance be in a good shape first though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’m glad wargear points costs are gone, but there should be some always-available universal option to add 1 wound to a character for ten points or something like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

I’m glad wargear points costs are gone, but there should be some always-available universal option to add 1 wound to a character for ten points or something like that.

I guess, but it also makes some loadouts redundant. I'm sure it's less pronounced with some factions but Tau really skews. They're not unbeatable because of it or anything (understand it's the opposite), but there's no incentive to run a crisis team with a particular set-up because oops all CIBs is clearly the best way to roll.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

No wargear points screws most armies. All my bolter plague marines are useless and my crap close combat acolyte hybrids are stuck paying for demo charges’ sins. All my russes automatically take plasma sponsons because they’re the best.

They’ve not even committed to building out of the box - arming plague marines is still arbitrarily limited by the assembly instructions while crisis suits don’t even come with the cyclic ion blasters they’re all running triple of.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

NofrikinfuN posted:

Seconding Independent Characters. It's one of those infectious enthusiasm kinda podcasts. I'm also rooting for Carl as he quit his job recently for reasons that seemed all too relatable.

Thanks for the rooting!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cooked Auto posted:

I would've honestly expected something like Toccata and Fugue in D minor, or O Fortuna. :v:

"In the Garden of Eden, by... I. Ron Butterfly"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No wargear points was expected for 10th and I don't know if they'll go back. I think GW would rather you pick all the cool guns and put them on your guys than the previous situation where no one used any wargear unless it was absolutely that much better than an extra body.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Eej posted:

No wargear points was expected for 10th and I don't know if they'll go back. I think GW would rather you pick all the cool guns and put them on your guys than the previous situation where no one used any wargear unless it was absolutely that much better than an extra body.

I'd honestly rather see them break out into separate datasheets like AoS, but I think there's too many options for some units to make that feasible. They did it with the Leman Russ, and it's an effective way to point cost weapons without being granular.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Devorum posted:

I'd honestly rather see them break out into separate datasheets like AoS, but I think there's too many options for some units to make that feasible. They did it with the Leman Russ, and it's an effective way to point cost weapons without being granular.

Yeah true this wouldn't help for many of the classic 40k units that were designed with very flexible build options. The Ork battlewagon we previously split into three datasheets during 9th, and still had a whole bunch of extra add-on weapons that cost points.

Plus extra datasheets is a bit of a double-edged sword when they directly affect people's collections via the rule of three. GW are constantly changing those limits; for example in 9th we had three Carnifex datasheets that all allowed units of up to three each. Now under 10th I can only field half of my dozen carnifexes because there's one datasheet with a unit size of 1-2. It wouldn't be great if we were temporarily allowed to field up to 9 Tyrannofexes via 3 datasheets, then suddenly the next edition the limit is suddenly back down to 3 models again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"In the Garden of Eden, by... I. Ron Butterfly"

:hmmyes:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

xtothez posted:

Yeah true this wouldn't help for many of the classic 40k units that were designed with very flexible build options. The Ork battlewagon we previously split into three datasheets during 9th, and still had a whole bunch of extra add-on weapons that cost points.

Plus extra datasheets is a bit of a double-edged sword when they directly affect people's collections via the rule of three. GW are constantly changing those limits; for example in 9th we had three Carnifex datasheets that all allowed units of up to three each. Now under 10th I can only field half of my dozen carnifexes because there's one datasheet with a unit size of 1-2. It wouldn't be great if we were temporarily allowed to field up to 9 Tyrannofexes via 3 datasheets, then suddenly the next edition the limit is suddenly back down to 3 models again.

It's a hard problem. The more I think about it, the more I understand why they exploded WHFB to start from scratch.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eej posted:

For a lot of non-gun things, I like the free wargear. Like the battle sister standard is a cool model but its probably not a powerful enough effect that you'd pay points for, so under Wysiwyg if it were paid your have to leave the model at home. Same goes for stuff like helix gauntlets etc.

For guns it feels like a halfway measure that would be better if pushed further or wound back. It's not really that much simpler or faster, because you still have to go into the app and choose all your guns and have them printed on your lists. The fact is that with free guns the army building process is now just split into "choose the units you want until you run out of points" then "go to back and choose the optimal weapons". Whereas before it was "choose units with optimal weapons until you run out of the points". It's not like anyone at this point is writing up their lists in a notebook with the codex open and a calculator (don't get me wrong that's how I mostly "played" warhammer from ages 11-15).

If a unit is going to cost the same no matter the guns, it would be cooler if you got to choose the loadout when you deployed, instead of list-building imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Devorum posted:

I would be happy with crisis aa, at and elite or something for CIB. Actually that ruins mix and match never mind :imunfunny:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hoiyes posted:

For guns it feels like a halfway measure that would be better if pushed further or wound back.

This is where I land on it. It's a half baked measure between the two significant options I see as available that is causing all kinds of stupid little problems that don't need to exist. They need to pick one or the other as the entire game's overall design philosophy; either go back to wargear point crunching, or eliminate wargear entirely and rebuild all the stat profiles from the ground up to reflect what wargear did (in rough, big picture terms) to unit performance on the table. Either way has pros and cons. I've dealt with, and enjoyed, both in different game systems so I have no strong preference either way outside of "just pick one, trying both is not working".

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/21/heresy-thursday-space-wolves-get-a-predatory-praetor-and-new-mark-vi-heads/

Lmao at them already replacing those horrendous rat heads, I would love to see the sales figures for those.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/21/codex-space-marines-the-new-detachments-arent-just-for-the-first-founding-chapters/

More Space Marine detachment talk, wherein GW acknowledges that both Raven Guard and White Scar exist.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
death company all powerfists n melta pistols all the time

I don't expect that to last but at least it solved my previous problem of having all of them modeled with the now invalid bolters and chainsword loadout.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Mostly I just feel like it's pretty lame for bolters and chainswords to be so iconic and yet the 10th edition rules really discourage you from using them. And more broadly the idea that you get all these neat weapon models but they don't end up getting used because it's just better to upgrade everything - often to weapons that aren't even included in the box - is not very cool. Meanwhile folks are trying to deal with the WYSIWYG rules by magnetizing their models as much as possible even if it means their armies occasionally fall to pieces when being used. If GW is committed to not using weapon costs to balance things, and not changing weapon stats since they want to sell printed data cards, then it seems like the best solution is just getting rid of modular weapons entirely - let people model what they want, and balance the gameplay squad by squad. And frankly from looking at the newer units it seems like they're leaning in that direction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kaal posted:

Mostly I just feel like it's pretty lame for plasma guns and power swords to be so iconic and yet the 8th and 9th edition rules really discourage you from using them. And more broadly the idea that you get all these neat weapon models but they don't end up getting used because it's just better to not upgrade anything - often leaving all the weapons in the box - is not very cool.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If GW can't figure out a way to use points to reflect the actual value of a plasma gun or power sword, then it's probably best to just get rid of modular weapons entirely. Certainly I'd prefer that to "oops all thunder hammers".

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Mr Teatime posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/21/heresy-thursday-space-wolves-get-a-predatory-praetor-and-new-mark-vi-heads/

Lmao at them already replacing those horrendous rat heads, I would love to see the sales figures for those.

This is a hell of a mea culpa, lmao. "Sorry for the furry helmets, heres some good ones oh and also a praetor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They probably could've done a bit more consolidating some units' weapon options into a single profile.