Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'm not engaging with the social aspect of Goodreads. If I want bad takes on books I'd go to reddit. or this thread

I don't need anything but the database for catalog purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Ravus Ursus posted:

I'm not engaging with the social aspect of Goodreads. If I want bad takes on books I'd go to reddit. or this thread

I don't need anything but the database for catalog purposes.

I hear LibraryThing is good for that.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'll give that a try, thanks.

It's all gonna roll up to the same corporate overlord anyway, but if it's got less of a social media tilt I'll probably dig it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Humble Bundle just dropped a massive October Daye/Incryptid bundle for less than a dollar a book: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/seanan-mcguire-urban-fantasy-bundle-books

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just realized the latest Aaronovich dropped a week + ago. Starting it tonight.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Winters Gift's came out in early June (in the UK, US release seems to be this coming December?) or is there something I've missed?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ookiimarukochan posted:

Winters Gift's came out in early June (in the UK, US release seems to be this coming December?) or is there something I've missed?

August 23 US. I just didn't notice it, I think I was also thinking December.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

torgeaux posted:

Just realized the latest Aaronovich dropped a week + ago. Starting it tonight.

The latest October Daye dropped today as well so it’s a good week for reading. The audiobook released simultaneously too.

It’s quite a trip so far.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Saltpowered posted:

The latest October Daye dropped today as well so it’s a good week for reading. The audiobook released simultaneously too.

It’s quite a trip so far.

I’m not even an hour in and I’m enthralled

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m not even an hour in and I’m enthralled

I was really skeptical about this book because the last few have been so good and I wasn't sold on the premise. I was completely wrong. Really brilliant book not just for the story itself (which was the best written amnesia story I've seen in genre. It really improved the overall narrative, answered many outstanding mysteries and moved the metaplot forward.

Seanan McGuire is just very good a plotting a book and her long-term story. She's knocked out as many October Daye books as Butcher has of Dresden in half the time with tighter plots and less inconsistencies across the series.

I need to read the new Rivers of London book now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Saltpowered posted:

Is Rivers of London any good? I've been in need of a new series after finishing Alex Verus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hughmoris posted:

Is Rivers of London any good? I've been in need of a new series after finishing Alex Verus.

Much better written than Alex Verus, and I enjoyed Verus. RoL has its own problems -- Jacka is better at pacing among other things -- but there's a reason RoL is a thread favorite.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Much better written than Alex Verus, and I enjoyed Verus. RoL has its own problems -- Jacka is better at pacing among other things -- but there's a reason RoL is a thread favorite.

Hmmm. Might have to give it a go!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Saltpowered posted:

I was really skeptical about this book because the last few have been so good and I wasn't sold on the premise. I was completely wrong. Really brilliant book not just for the story itself (which was the best written amnesia story I've seen in genre. It really improved the overall narrative, answered many outstanding mysteries and moved the metaplot forward.

Seanan McGuire is just very good a plotting a book and her long-term story. She's knocked out as many October Daye books as Butcher has of Dresden in half the time with tighter plots and less inconsistencies across the series.

Book 18 comes out in October because she wrote it as a two parter, too. It looks like the same story but from tybalts perspective.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hughmoris posted:

I liked them until the end of Broken Homes, where it became clear that I and the author had different reads on a character. If there had been more pages left at that point I would probably have kept reading, but instead, I just lost interest and never got around to reading the nwxt book qhen it released. They are still pretty decent though, so as long as you don't encounter that issue, it's good reading as far as I got.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hel posted:

I liked them until the end of Broken Homes, where it became clear that I and the author had different reads on a character. If there had been more pages left at that point I would probably have kept reading, but instead, I just lost interest and never got around to reading the nwxt book qhen it released. They are still pretty decent though, so as long as you don't encounter that issue, it's good reading as far as I got.

I'm a quarter of the way into the first book and not sure it's for me. The writing style and plot just isn't grabbing hold.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

The best Laundry book is better than the best Rivers of London, but RoL maintains a more consistent level of quality than Laundry. It's formulaic but in part that's because the mysteries are structured like actual police investigations, which follow standardized procedures for evidence collection, interviews, following up on leads... The guy drip feeds enough new setting and plot elements in each book that it never feels like beating a dead horse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah they're very much "British television police procedural, with magic added."

There's a baseline level of competent writing that that requires though which you don't always get in fantasy. Like, the author has to know how a police procedural works.

What sold me in that series was . . . It really gets the details right and the author does his research. Like, in the first book there's a ghost. The ghost speaks in appropriate dialect for its time period, social class, and region of London. And that's not a one off. If there's a chase scene and they bust through the window of a Starbucks, you can go on Google maps and see the Starbucks. It's very granularly correct in a way that, say, Dresden Files isn't (how many black people live in Harry Dresden's chicago?)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 18, 2023

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah they're very much "British television police procedural, with magic added."

There's a baseline level of competent writing that that requires though which you don't always get in fantasy. Like, the author has to know how a police procedural works.

What sold me in that series was . . . It really gets the details right and the author does his research. Like, in the first book there's a ghost. The ghost speaks in appropriate dialect for its time period, social class, and region of London. And that's not a one off. If there's a chase scene and they bust through the window of a Starbucks, you can go on Google maps and see the Starbucks. It's very granularly correct in a way that, say, Dresden Files isn't (how many black people live in Harry Dresden's chicago?)

In a later book there's a council estate that sounds so real, down to the architecture, I was surprised to find out that it didn't exist!

It's London the way only a real Londoner could write it.

It's kinda funny, but tracking down where The Folly is brings you to the London Mathematical Society, in a cool bit of real world / RoL / Laundry crossover. Before I physically looked I assumed The Folly was on the exact opposite corner of Russell Square to where it is though.

Edit: or not. That was fan style reading the book and tracking it down. The follypedia has an actual map showing where it is, and it's next door to the LMS. Still works as a crossover having them one house adjacent!

Masonity fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 19, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a quarter of the way into the first book and not sure it's for me. The writing style and plot just isn't grabbing hold.

I bounce off the first book too, but randomly read, book 3 I think and carried on from there. Might be some Dresden File 'Start at Grave Peril' stuff going on there, or at least that's how I found it/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
OK, I'm going to have to read the new Rivers of London, because I hate the reader for the audible version. Yikes.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Urban Fantasy is a very horny genre. From this thread I’ve learned of:

* Gay dude UF
* Gay lady UF
* Trans dude/lady UF
* Ace UF
* Straight lady UF (apparently like 90% of the genre)

And this has led me to some extremely cool stories I would not otherwise have read. Which makes me wonder, is there good horny straight dude UF? Or is that (a) Jim Butcher before he was shamed out of being horny; or (b) something that basically doesn’t exist?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

What's the Ace UF?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
jim butcher will never

a) be shamed out of horny
b) write a good horny straight dude UF

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Incryptid has good horny straight dudes. And not straight dudes. And not dudes.

Honestly everyone in the series is young, hot, horny, and (at least in the first half dozen books) not creepy about it at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm always on the lookout for good non-horny UF.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The horniness in the Sandman Slim books is surprisingly subdued for how aggro and over the top the rest of the books are.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I'm always on the lookout for good non-horny UF.

I'm ace and the hornt levels in Incryptid were well within tolerance ranges for me. The hornt levels in October Daye are just outside though. Fred the Vampire Account has a tiny bit of eyeroll in the first book, but is very wholesome for the entire rest of the series.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I'm ace and the hornt levels in Incryptid were well within tolerance ranges for me. The hornt levels in October Daye are just outside though. Fred the Vampire Account has a tiny bit of eyeroll in the first book, but is very wholesome for the entire rest of the series.

They hold hands! And have chaste kisses!

Scandalous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

Incryptid has good horny straight dudes. And not straight dudes. And not dudes.

Honestly everyone in the series is young, hot, horny, and (at least in the first half dozen books) not creepy about it at all.

Even the old people manage because of reasons to be young and hot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes. Grenade granny is hilarious and awesome. And also young and hot for reasons.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\and those reasons were horrific! I should go through that series again, but I'll probably start October Daye instead since the new book is out.

Ravus Ursus posted:

They hold hands! And have chaste kisses!

Scandalous.

it was more when the girlfriend was positioning her chest for him to look down her top, it was so early in the first story that I was dreading what the rest of the book was going to be like.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

To be fair, that first book is a very strange thing.

I haven't done any research but I feel like he was writing a bunch of short stories without any real forethought or planning and was being a bit tongue in cheek. But the absolute lack of horny in that series is great. It's one of the things you don't notice until you find yourself no longer worrying if new girl is when it turns into a harem anime.

The series is absolutely a harem anime though. Just the most wholesome kind where it's about family rather than tiddies.

Dominic Toretto would approve of Fred.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I love the Fred series, and the linked short story format is actually really great. It keeps things moving at a fast pace, without it ever getting overwhelming.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I love the Fred series, and the linked short story format is actually really great. It keeps things moving at a fast pace, without it ever getting overwhelming.

I've been struggling with this one the cringe levels a the start are a lot for me.

I also just started the laundry files and holy gently caress is the 90s computer jargon jarring and off putting. Does he ease up on that? If not I may just have to abandon the series.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wait what's cringe with Fred?

He's a pure nerd.

Though I'm an accountant irl so maybe I'm just not seeing the problem.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Wait what's cringe with Fred?

He's a pure nerd.

Though I'm an accountant irl so maybe I'm just not seeing the problem.

I think the "oh I'm so nerdy, I couldn't possibly know how to talk to women" bit is hitting a little too close to home.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think the "oh I'm so nerdy, I couldn't possibly know how to talk to women" bit is hitting a little too close to home.

People out there who would kill for such close representation and here you are throwing a book out because of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Demon_Corsair posted:

That's, thankfully, confined almost entirely to the first couple stories. By the second book, there's zero CW style relationship drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Demon_Corsair posted:

I've been struggling with this one the cringe levels a the start are a lot for me.

I also just started the laundry files and holy gently caress is the 90s computer jargon jarring and off putting. Does he ease up on that? If not I may just have to abandon the series.

I've dug in multiple times, and they're too cringey for me, too. Just bad. I can see why folks like them, but not for me at all.