Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat, I hope that one isn't too far off. I feel like Sigil already milked Doom 1 for all it was worth. Doom 2 needs the Romero love it never totally got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Thinking about Romero, I can't help but think that Daikatana deserves the Nightdive treatment.

Not even being ironic, Daikatana on KEX with all the new Q2 engine stuff ported in would be pretty cool.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thinking about Romero, I can't help but think that Daikatana deserves the Nightdive treatment.

Not even being ironic, Daikatana on KEX with all the new Q2 engine stuff ported in would be pretty cool.

gently caress it, Daikatana remake a la System Shock

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd like a Deus Ex remake. There's an 90% chance they'd gently caress it up but the game is old and creaky enough these days and enough has been learned that a competent team could make a good job of it.

Probably not as long as Embracer owns the IP though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

shoeberto posted:

This would definitely pique my interest after how much I liked the SS Remake.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr_rat posted:

Doom eternal in doom 1/2 style obviously.

But yeah if it's a thing, a doom 1/2 style through back game in the doom eternal engine could be fun.

Also looking at how much simpler those type of maps are, you wouldn't think it would be even that hard to do.

wasnt there a doom wad with all sorts of glory kills and stuff released years ago?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A.o.D. posted:

Quake doesn't have a sniper weapon, though. The closest you get is the Rocket Launcher and at those distances, it's fairly trivial to dodge.

:doh: I've been playing 2 and champions so much I just kinda false memoried myself into thinking their was a rail

e: on the bright side, quake is now the greatest fps ever in my estimation

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

wasnt there a doom wad with all sorts of glory kills and stuff released years ago?

There’s a couple mods that are basically “Doom 2016 in Doom”. The one I played was D4D. IIRC it had almost everything but the glory kills. But stopped development and doesn’t work on current GZDoom versions.

Also D4T, which was supposed to do most of the same things and add glory kills, but I don’t think I ever got it to work somehow.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So the thing about SIGIL 2 is it started out being the name of the Doom 2 wad that Romero evidently had planned for Doom 2's 30th anniversary when One Humanity was released for charity.

But then that got quietly walked back at some point and SIGIL 2 became the title of the Doom 1 wad for that game's 30th.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Doom 2 wad ends up being called SIGIL 3 but who knows at this point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

shoeberto posted:

As I've always said, have Flying Wild Hog do it.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Just finished Q2's Call of the Machine expansion.

Just like Q1's Age of the Machine, the final boss fight is really lacklustre.

No new monsters unless you count the Shambler from Q1, in a tiny cramped boss arena. Boring.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, Quake boss fights being lackluster has pretty much always been baked into the game. I liked the one in Dimension of the Machine well enough, better than anything in the original at least.

I guess the dragon thing in Dissolution of Eternity was pretty cool.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

skasion posted:

There’s a couple mods that are basically “Doom 2016 in Doom”. The one I played was D4D. IIRC it had almost everything but the glory kills. But stopped development and doesn’t work on current GZDoom versions.

Also D4T, which was supposed to do most of the same things and add glory kills, but I don’t think I ever got it to work somehow.

I have always suspected the idea for glory kills came from Brutal Doom.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the thing about SIGIL 2 is it started out being the name of the Doom 2 wad that Romero evidently had planned for Doom 2's 30th anniversary when One Humanity was released for charity.

But then that got quietly walked back at some point and SIGIL 2 became the title of the Doom 1 wad for that game's 30th.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Doom 2 wad ends up being called SIGIL 3 but who knows at this point.

gently caress it, call it whatever. More Romero maps. Sounds like fun. I do really want to see his DOOM 2 stuff though.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sir Lemming posted:

To be fair, Quake boss fights being lackluster has pretty much always been baked into the game. I liked the one in Dimension of the Machine well enough, better than anything in the original at least.

I guess the dragon thing in Dissolution of Eternity was pretty cool.

I liked the final boss of Shrak being a demented, morbidly obese manbaby-thing that screamed at you while throwing spiders, until you shot it so much that its belly opened and fireworm-maggots fell out and you had to use the inflator to shoot him until he puffed up, floated to the top of the map, and exploded like a party balloon. That entire TC was gross and stupid and I miss it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The giant shambler that mimics the q1 episode 1 boss fight probably would have been a better end for CotM, maybe if there were a few more enemies flying around making things tough.

I really like about half of CotM, mostly when the aesthetics were closer to base q2. The section on earth was a nice change of pace but it was also weird because it felt almost like half life 2. Also generally too many mutants. The mutants suck, stop using them so much.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

SCheeseman posted:

I'd like a Deus Ex remake. There's an 90% chance they'd gently caress it up but the game is old and creaky enough these days and enough has been learned that a competent team could make a good job of it.

Probably not as long as Embracer owns the IP though.

I feel like Deus Ex kinda exceeds the limit of what a smaller budget remaster could accomplish. Unreal Engine is already scalable and moddable enough to get a decent experience out of the game today, and then completely remaking it would require a larger budget and team, which means you have 1000 more chances to gently caress up what makes the original good
System Shock remake was excellent, but Deus Ex is a way bigger game. Maybe a very faithful remaster treatment could work, like with Nightdive's Turok, but it still feels kinda unnecessary to me. UE1 already supports all the good stuff to run on modern machines. In fact it was one of the first games I started to test out my monitor at 240hz, and it's beautiful

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Lightning gun.

The range of the lightning gun is way, WAY shorter than what you think it is. It's not going to be effective in a Rats map.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

The giant shambler that mimics the q1 episode 1 boss fight probably would have been a better end for CotM, maybe if there were a few more enemies flying around making things tough.

I really like about half of CotM, mostly when the aesthetics were closer to base q2. The section on earth was a nice change of pace but it was also weird because it felt almost like half life 2. Also generally too many mutants. The mutants suck, stop using them so much.
Completely agree. Although I'd argue the section on earth felt more like offcuts from that one Q1 episode that took place in the broad daylight but with ruined towers everywhere.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Hyperstrange just put out a new game 77p egg: Eggwife and this might just be the stupidest, grossest, and vulgar game I've ever played and I'm loving it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

drrockso20 posted:

So Hyperstrange just put out a new game 77p egg: Eggwife and this might just be the stupidest, grossest, and vulgar game I've ever played and I'm loving it

I'm loving the celebrity endorsements

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ah yes, the poo poo & piss furry game, I remember that trailer from Realms Deep. Well have fun with that

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm loving the celebrity endorsements

Ego Software would've made a solid alternative name for Ion Storm. Or at least a more honest one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Ah yes, the poo poo & piss furry game, I remember that trailer from Realms Deep. Well have fun with that

I shan’t

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Two little things I really appreciate about CULTIC:

1. you can press F9 the second the game starts and it will instantly quickload
2. the skeletons have the perfect walking sounds. hearing one bonk its way towards a corner only to be immediately blown apart by a shotgun blast, followed by another one bonking along to investigate is very entertaining

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Picked up Dusk again and I really like the sound cues there too. Very easy to gunkata a room based on where you hear "SACRIFICE".

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Black Griffon posted:

Picked up Dusk again and I really like the sound cues there too. Very easy to gunkata a room based on where you hear "SACRIFICE".

I always liked the lumberjack's chainsaw rev sound when you were spotted. It's the first sound you hear in the game iirc and it sets the tone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Really struggling to "get" Nightmare Reaper. But I think it's mainly down to atrocious pacing? Like I only just recently unlocked the third (tedious, superfluous) minigame that controls access to the actually interesting perk unlocks.

And then one of them flatout doesn't work if you have melee and use bound to the same key.

Which is what the game loving defaulted to.

It also sounds like the game opens up a bit once you make it to episode 2. I honestly didn't even realize there were discrete episodes because the first one is so long.

In general I thought it was going to be more of a proper shooter roguelike but in actuality it's one of those "grind your way forward" progression-based games. And all of your progression relies on awful My First Project tier minigames which are also needlessly spiteful. One of them is a take on Pokemon that's one of the most ill-conceived compounding piles of bullshit I've ever seen. (Yes, I know you can just turn it all off, though I'm pretty sure you get penalized for it.)

Edit: There's also a bunch of random events, many of which boil down to "you have ten seconds to psychically intuit what's going on or die" that give the game a real bad slot machine feel.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 20, 2023

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You don't get penalized for turning off the minigames, but you still have to move around their little maps to get the upgrades which can still get old p quick. And even as someone who really enjoyed Nightmare Reaper, the pokemon thing is so dire I can't blame anyone for dropping the game just for that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I can't help it but I find Nightmare Reaper's aesthetics to be godawful. Like the really simple 20 x 30 pixel (or whatever a lot of them are) weapon art and primitive enemy sprites contrasted with the lighting and level detail that feels like it's from another game...it just feels horrible to behold.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
is this the place for me to whine about ZScript in GZDoom as I try to make My First Doom Mod, or do we have a better place for that

because boy howdy I have some opinions to vent

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

death cob for cutie posted:

is this the place for me to whine about ZScript in GZDoom as I try to make My First Doom Mod, or do we have a better place for that

because boy howdy I have some opinions to vent

I know we've got a few of us here who have ventured into the zscripting mines, I managed to pull together a multiplayer hockey WAD for GZDoom that somehow works online with multiple players :v: Fire away any questions/vents here or in the DOOM WAD Club thread and I'm sure someone might be able to relate or help.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't help it but I find Nightmare Reaper's aesthetics to be godawful. Like the really simple 20 x 30 pixel (or whatever a lot of them are) weapon art and primitive enemy sprites contrasted with the lighting and level detail that feels like it's from another game...it just feels horrible to behold.

The blocky level geometry too. It feels more like Minecraft aesthetic than retro imo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

You don't get penalized for turning off the minigames, but you still have to move around their little maps to get the upgrades which can still get old p quick. And even as someone who really enjoyed Nightmare Reaper, the pokemon thing is so dire I can't blame anyone for dropping the game just for that.

Technically you do, since each platforming level/shmup level/Pokemon battle generates extra income. But the first two have already quickly reached a point where those cash back bonuses are basically useless (and of course in the platforming stages you can expect to miss large chunks of the bonus gold anyway because of all the gently caress you traps). The Pokemon one is slow paced enough that getting 25 Topaz back per fight isn't nothing...but also like hell am I going to engage with it anymore.

Turning them all off instantly improved my feelings towards the game because I didn't have to do busy work between every level. I also got access to a couple of key perks, like double jump, that eliminated my other lingering frustration - the dickish challenge rooms. Poison and lava immunity are also huge. Combine with landing a really good weapon and it feels like I'm actually playing the drat game again. Still not looking forward to needing to grind out arena waves, but at least that's now one (1) alternate game mode that I personally just don't find all that compelling and I can dip in and out as I like.

Overall the level generation is...not very good, but I will say the last third of chapter 1 has started to feel a bit better. More complex rooms and a better mix of stuff that isn't just Spooky Forest or Spooky Cave. Closer to slightly clumsy procgen Project Warlock levels instead of the aimless Minecraft tunnels. I strongly suspect that the game as a whole suffers from having been in Early Access for a long time, you can feel it in the way all the early stuff is just markedly worse or less interesting (including stuff like the skill tree unlocks) than it could be and every time I push past a clutch of levels it feels like the average quality goes up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

Fire away any questions/vents here or in the DOOM WAD Club thread and I'm sure someone might be able to relate or help.

idk if it's even at the "constructive questions" part of my journey yet, it's just... ZScript is so loving poorly documented. The "updated" documentation hasn't been updated in two years and is still insanely sparse on detail, the ZDoom Wiki doesn't always clearly state if something is ZScript or ACS. Third-party tutorials are spotty. And it doesn't help that some of the ways ZScript internally defines some terms is... awkward. What is the Inventory class? You'd think it would be an actor's inventory, but nope - it's the pickups on the ground! Those are instances of Inventory.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

I was just thinking today about how this one mod, Thrifty Ammo, doesn't work with another, Final Doomer, and if I might be able to figure out a way to make a patch by studying the DRLA patch for the former even tho I'm not a programmer at all. Of course, the former mod is in zscript while the latter is in decorate/acs, so it feels kinda doubly out of my depth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is Final Doomer still being worked on? I really love the idea behind it and would love to give that treatment to more map packs

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Unfortunately I think they officially capped it at nine weapon sets, so adding anymore sets based on other wads would have to be in the form of fan add-ons or copycat mods.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Doctor Bishop posted:

I was just thinking today about how this one mod, Thrifty Ammo, doesn't work with another, Final Doomer, and if I might be able to figure out a way to make a patch by studying the DRLA patch for the former even tho I'm not a programmer at all. Of course, the former mod is in zscript while the latter is in decorate/acs, so it feels kinda doubly out of my depth.

Godspeed - I am a programmer and DRLA is one of the things I've been looking at.

Then again, not being a programmer may make you more resilient to bullshit; when I look at this stuff, all I can think is "but why did you choose to do ZScript this way?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Turning off a bunch of the graphical bells and whistles actually makes the game look a lot better. I also found it to be an unreasonably hungry system hog with those settings on, so the extra performance didn't hurt either.

I really like NM. The gunkata is a lot of fun once you get a few decent weapons and the enemies explode satisfyingly.
Aesthetically, it's not great, and the less said about the minigames the better. The music is super boring buttrock too, but that's easily fixed by slapping on the classic OST of your choice. I recommend Streets of Rage 2.