Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You know I once saw someone use six credit cards to pay for a purchase at target. I guess that makes the lines in Russia really long if everyone has to do it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That Wagner medic story...Holy Jesus what the gently caress

That's some like Unit 731 horror, holy gently caress

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 21, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
War is bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I would say as a prisoner of war anything he says on camera isn't something I'd really trust without other sources backing up his claims. But I also don't put it past Russia either.

quote:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

:hmmyes:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

khwarezm posted:

This sort of seems like an admission that Ukraine's major allies might be losing faith in a long war, I think we can assume they were not happy about the results of the counter offensive and sceptical that much progress will be made from now on.

Did you even read the article?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(re nms Reddit thread) I don't really want that kind of stuff in this thread even if there aren't any photos, thanks. Link at most.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I don't even know what to say to that thread. jfc.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks Seb. Could we possibly scrub any mentions of violence and misery from this war thread? It's a real downer sometimes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thinking deeply about propaganda I do ponder if Russia is using the world War I book on propaganda. By saying that like Germany is starving to death too from the ukrainians they can equate it to the first Great patriotic War that Russia had a resolute outcome in them of course you all remember it it's symbol is to the left of my username in case you forgot.

But anyway to bring it backwards the propaganda outlets spring things that state life is far better in Russia but then you go to the supermarket you have to run a credit card or two to actually afford groceries and it's like don't worry the West is worse. They don't even have food they are not even allowed to use their credit cards for groceries because they don't have them groceries!!!!!

With that in mind it does look like another you rushing unit has been destroyed. So I would surmise that at this time Ukraine realizes that it needs to not allow these units to pull back so much. And these units are just literally not pulling back like they were in kherson or Kharkiv. in this current conflict those units Will never surrender because they are so shattered they are beyond even running away from their aggressor. The artillery has gone on too long there is no end in sight. Those conditions will cause a level of PTSD not seen since the Eastern front 1942 or Western front in 1914. Dan Carlin talks about this level of ptsdd we're soldiers no longer care whether they are shot or killed by their own commanders or the enemy. They are just so mentally shattered it doesn't matter they just want to die. In that case they won't even run. Which is bad for a soldier because sometimes running is a good thing something Russia just doesn't understand it's all about power at the front. Their entire doctrine is based off of this idea and everything else comes a breast of that idea.

I've been hearing that Russian units are starting to artillery the units that are surrendering or retreating. I mean that's not even something that Nazis would do. That is a level of brutality not seen in literally a hundred plus years. I think maybe during the White Russian conflicts in the steppes? I mean that is just an absolutely uncomparable level of brutality to literally murder and artillery your own soldiers. That is a clear level of desperality that goes far beyond any normal level of morale loss due to combat period I mean that's a level of brokenness that you literally would rather kill these people than even see them again that's how in a sense worthless that Russia sees their soldiers.

It almost angers me that they take the Black Sea fleet with such regard that they have a national few days of morning due to Ukrainian downsizing efforts. Like half a million people have been crippled or dead by this war on the Russian side. I mean that is an insane regard.

So it's really difficult to see what Russia does from here. The offensive that they tried has failed and they lost a lot of people trying to do it. And a lot of equipment. I mean it's terrible to see that the commanders are still antsy to get their men out of the trenches and everything to go and face the enemy down when in reality they just don't have the artillery or air confidence to actually conduct effective strikes. They're mlrs and everything sure they're terror weapons but they're really not tactical in battles that require very accurate strikes. I mean there's been talked at the artillery has to be really really close to the front lines to actually do any good because the barrels are just so worn out and I don't disagree with that. I think it has a huge effect on what the combat operations can be as you need to wait a long time for the artillery to actually get in position and artillery pieces are loud. So a lot of your expected momentum is crushed immediately because your enemy can hit you 20 times the distance as you can hit them. Effectively and accurately and more accurately then you can.

That's a huge question isn't it what happens from here? What happens when Russia cannot muster another man willingly?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Thanks Seb. Could we possibly scrub any mentions of violence and misery from this war thread? It's a real downer sometimes.

i don't want detailed descriptions of torture reddit's right there if you do

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I missed that post at first and saw it now.

Literally Russia is an absolutely axis of evil level evil.

You know it sounds crazy to say but personally I just like to discuss the strategy and tactics. I don't really like to discuss the inhumane violence because it's just so stomach turning. So even though that person is sarcastic yeah I would be nice if there was a thread we could just sit here and talk about maps all day long without the human aspect of it. But this war is such that the human aspect probably needs to be depicted at length. This thread does a good job of being a middle ground between complete administerial academic analyzation of a genocide which would just be unbelievably horrific to read, and a completely sanitized version of the war. Talk about casualties can talk about the nuances of War can talk about sad poo poo that happens in bombings but talking about literal torture that really does loving cross the line of what I'd like to read.

I think clearly from my depictions and explanations of what is happening I have a pretty good understanding of the brutality of War I don't really need to discussed constantly to be made aware of human beings being destroyed and killed at length, and also becoming completely shattered individuals that seem blood lust as a substitute for sexual lust.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 21, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Air defense has reportedly worked on missiles in the Dnipro and Cherkasy regions, missiles are still in the sky.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There is War, and then there is that Unit 731 level loving nightmare

Some of us may not want to discuss that nightmare

Holy God drat poo poo, that is bleak poo poo :smith:

It's their own loving people, treated like that, for the crime of having a brain and not fighting this pointless hopeless war...

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 21, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah I think we are all aware that Russia is unrestrained with their war criming at this point, it’s been established so no need to post fantasmagoria articles

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That reddit link is... wow JFC that really is about as horrific as it gets

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How the gently caress do you even prosecute war crimes from your people on your own troops?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 21, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Hohe gently caress do you even prosecute war crimes from your people on your own troops?

It would come under the "crimes against humanity" rubric which international courts and tribunals also prosecute.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

sebmojo posted:

i don't want detailed descriptions of torture reddit's right there if you do

I wouldn't have even heard about it at all if it wasn't posted here. I'm not going to click though to reddit and I appreciate hearing about what's going on here second hand. I agree with no photos but I'm here in the war thread, I expect to read disturbing things that happen in war and I am making the choice to do so. C'mon man.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Several explosions were heard in Kharkiv. The air raid is still ongoing.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm grateful too for having heard the severity of what Russia is doing. Jesus christ though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caedus posted:

I wouldn't have even heard about it at all if it wasn't posted here. I'm not going to click though to reddit and I appreciate hearing about what's going on here second hand. I agree with no photos but I'm here in the war thread, I expect to read disturbing things that happen in war and I am making the choice to do so. C'mon man.

I'm sorry for negatively affecting your war crime consumption experience, but the link's right there.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I removed most of it.

And all of it because Putin got big mad over some maps while he was cooped up in his room during COVID.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

sebmojo posted:

I'm sorry for negatively affecting your war crime consumption experience, but the link's right there.

Oh I thought you'd edited out the link. My apologies.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Or did you even have a communications vehicle?

I got stuck on m-80 defence brigade (JvPr) so we only got a couple of small trucks with which to haul our Vietnam-era junk from our hiding place to the next.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

khwarezm posted:

This sort of seems like an admission that Ukraine's major allies might be losing faith in a long war, I think we can assume they were not happy about the results of the counter offensive and sceptical that much progress will be made from now on.

Room-temperature IQ take.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Democracies have no patience for prolonged wars and will fold if they can't achieve results quickly because they must satisfy their electorate" sounds like a common sense statement, but have we forgotten that the same democracies happily funneled trillions of dollars into a 20 year war in Afghanistan with no plan of winning, achieving absolutely nothing, and it had literally no domestic consequences?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The only war in living memory that democracy's lost patience with is Vietnam and that went on for how long?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Even with minimal NATO support at this point Russia cannot win.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Mental posted:

Even with minimal NATO support at this point Russia cannot win.

I think you're probably right, I do worry that they can keep losing for an awfully long time tho

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

sebmojo posted:

I think you're probably right, I do worry that they can keep losing for an awfully long time tho

Yeah... and drag the rest of the world down with them. You'd think all the Russian mishaps would lead to a tipping point among the Russia people, but historically these regimes have probably been able to get away with prolonged quagmires

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Russian elections will be held in March of next year. I cannot see Putin doing anything that goes against the glorious AND successful military operation narrative till after that. Basically no matter what Ukraine does.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I don't expect Putin to end his special military operation before the US elections.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1704736280968368247?s=20

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pontificating rear end posted:

Yeah... and drag the rest of the world down with them. You'd think all the Russian mishaps would lead to a tipping point among the Russia people, but historically these regimes have probably been able to get away with prolonged quagmires

Soviet-Afghan war was ten years.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only war in living memory that democracy's lost patience with is Vietnam and that went on for how long?

A few celebrities aside, while there was plenty of anti-vitenam war sentiment in the u.s. there were no politically significant quantities of americans actively rooting for the NVA itself or during the GWOT, the taliban . The GOP sympathizes pretty openly with the russian gov't. The U.S. and large chunks of Europe are involved in a prolonged war with the exact sort of christofascist gangster kleptocratic government the american and certain regional euro chuds want to inflict on us all. This causes far more internal dissonance with regards to long term wrecking of ukraine's military supplies.

"Hey, this time we're NOT the baddies, we need to side with the baddies, it would own the libs so hard!"

What I'm saying is while I'm hoping more right wingers go to jail soon for the attempted coup and all the other crimes, them being shook up and squabbling post Trump mugshot caused some internal chaos that will keep them loving things up in the near future.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 21, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

One thing that struck me recently about the Afghan war is that the highest estimates for Soviet deaths (26,000) is lower than the absolute floor of Russian deaths in the SMO. (31,655 deaths per Mediazona)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Russian elections will be held in March of next year. I cannot see Putin doing anything that goes against the glorious AND successful military operation narrative till after that. Basically no matter what Ukraine does.

Why would the elections matter at all? It's not like the votes, or other candidates' opinion matter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

steinrokkan posted:

"Democracies have no patience for prolonged wars and will fold if they can't achieve results quickly because they must satisfy their electorate" sounds like a common sense statement, but have we forgotten that the same democracies happily funneled trillions of dollars into a 20 year war in Afghanistan with no plan of winning, achieving absolutely nothing, and it had literally no domestic consequences?

if there is anything that the global fascist revival has taught us it's that anything that sounds like "common sense" needs to be re-examined because it turned out a lot of "common" "sensibilities" ended in wanting back a cracker jack philosophy that was based on wishful thinking in the best of times and murdered something like 8% of human population in the worst of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

beer_war posted:

One thing that struck me recently about the Afghan war is that the highest estimates for Soviet deaths (26,000) is lower than the absolute floor of Russian deaths in the SMO. (31,655 deaths per Mediazona)

Yeah, Afghanistan was such a shitshow for the Soviets because it was sold to their population as "the World's Number Two (but really Number One, decadent western capitalists are no match for Glorious Soviet Union) army vs a bunch of primitive sheep fuckers", and then it turns out that those "primitives" were in fact extremely canny guerrilla fighters who brutalized the Soviets.

Considering the state of free media in Russia I don't think these SMO numbers are really talked about much over there, but you're right. Even considering that they're now facing a modern, trained and highly motivated army with modern equipment, it is pretty shocking that they've taken more casualties in a year and a half than they did in Afghanistan in 10 years.