Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mr E posted:

Yeah this is my problem. Even DCS updates faster and I've always had issues with that launcher, and I usually find myself playing IL-2 or BMS instead. Will definitely be returning to try out the Ornithopter, though.

I have to wonder if they'll push the Dune content back, since the movie it's supposed to be hawking got the release date moved from November to next March.

If they stick with the planned release date, Asobo will be batting 1000 for releasing tie-in content for movies that got their release dates moved, since the same thing happened with the Top Gun content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Preordered a Bigscreen Beyond this morning. The MSFS downloader is going to be WAAY better looking.

:homebrew:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
One thing we really really really gotta hand to MSFS: seamless transition from VR to flatscreen with a button press. I can sit in the menus in flatscreen and set my controls, set my plane on the apron, and then hop in VR. And when I’m done, I can do it in reverse, no reason to even pause the game or anything.

I only wish DCS could do it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The updater is bad but I've found if you wait a couple days after an update is released it's a lot faster.

I guess even MS can't keep up with the sever demands on a release day.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wild. I've got ~1000hrs in FS2020 and haven't had the updater issues like you're all describing. I mean, functionally it sucks and is beyond stupid to have to update through steam then in-game (pre-launch), then again in-game (individual modules). But, I've always had relatively fast downloads without trouble.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Chuck_D posted:

Wild. I've got ~1000hrs in FS2020 and haven't had the updater issues like you're all describing. I mean, functionally it sucks and is beyond stupid to have to update through steam then in-game (pre-launch), then again in-game (individual modules). But, I've always had relatively fast downloads without trouble.

It's not even that the downloads are slow (though they are), the installer regularly fails to decompress files, but it'll just hang there forever hammering away at the cpu doing nothing. I have 400 files left to decompress, and after having done the "delete problematic file, redownload and try again" a bunch of times, it seems like my best bet is to just delete 60 gig of files and run it again. It has seemingly no error handling or any way to verify that the downloaded files are correct.

It also by default installs the entire game in the appdata/roaming folder, which is an actual microsoft crime, and embarrassing behavior from a first party title.

Microsoft posted:

Roaming data do's and don'ts
-Use roaming for user preferences and customizations, links, and small data files. For example, use roaming to preserve a user's background color preference across all devices.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/app-settings/store-and-retrieve-app-data#roaming-data

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Also, a VPN increases my download speed by 4x?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Xakura posted:

Some users have reported that their ISP throttles traffic from the MSFS servers for some probably unreasonable reasons, and that using a VPN gets around that.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Chuck_D posted:

Not to pile since it doesn't help, but yeah, same - I really feel for everyone having issues with it, I couldn't possibly explain why I haven't had the same trouble, even from two different states. I'm particular too, so I don't think it's me going with the flow here.

I really hope 2024 is better.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a 3060 12GB from a 1060 6GB. I was down on this as a waste initially but for MFS it actually was pretty worth the upgrade. I have it on DX12 with DLSS and the game is much smoother. Still get a hitch when I enter a city area on approach but it's quite nice.

Xakura posted:

It's not even that the downloads are slow (though they are), the installer regularly fails to decompress files, but it'll just hang there forever hammering away at the cpu doing nothing. I have 400 files left to decompress, and after having done the "delete problematic file, redownload and try again" a bunch of times, it seems like my best bet is to just delete 60 gig of files and run it again. It has seemingly no error handling or any way to verify that the downloaded files are correct.

It also by default installs the entire game in the appdata/roaming folder, which is an actual microsoft crime, and embarrassing behavior from a first party title.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/app-settings/store-and-retrieve-app-data#roaming-data

Normal behavior for a first party title. The most janky thing they have is Outlook and Teams. Teams is installed for every per profile and makes multiuser environment untenable because it clogs up drives with cache files. I regularly run a script at work to clear this and reclaiming 30-80GB is typical. We're on SSDs so lol this adds up fast. Windows is happy to let you use space up to the last byte.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Some users have reported that their ISP throttles traffic from the MSFS servers for some probably unreasonable reasons, and that using a VPN gets around that.

That really sucks. I wonder if changing the DNS would help? I've had instances where Origin would refuse to download anything and these issues vanished when I changed the DNS.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xakura posted:

Yeah it does for me too, and DCS also increases in download speed when I use a VPN.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's crazy how many things ISPs will throttle for no reason. A few years ago, I kept getting buffering and stutters on youtube and netflix until I turned a VPN on and got full speed.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Even if the update process works without errors for people (I've had good success with it past launch), it just sucks, its an awful experience, especially if you buy it through Microsoft's first party service:
- when there's an update, you have to restart your PC for the MSFS store to see the update, then have it update
- then launch the game itself, which launches the updater inside of it
- which runs as like a DirectX application, so it sits there keeping the GPU active for as long as the update happens, along with that stupid music playing
- and even then, there's more updates in the form of the content manager, which again requires you to sit in the game waiting for it to finish

Microsoft makes the OS, the game engine, owns the studio, owns the different storefronts and distribution network, owns the entire cloud infrastructure it runs on, and its still a frustrating mess just updating the game. Compare that to any other game on steam, where it just updates the game in the background, along with any content you need, and then you just click a "Play" button and it all works. It's been 3 years and its still just as much of a mess.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I haven't had issues with the updater other than it being pathetically slow on the first install, though that was more tied to me thinking Wi-Fi would do the job in under 12 hours.

My issue with the game at this point is that it seems to be Russian Roulette on whether or not it will crash to desktop at any point during the flight. I've gone to the auto racing policy of "getting past halfway is considered a completed race (flight)" if I don't make it, but that shouldn't be how it is because it should be a less of a piece of poo poo that decides to die on a whim for no apparent reason.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 31, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also have an issue where the xbox app will refuse to update or sometimes even open if I haven't run windows update. Before I figured that out, I spent a bunch of time deleting the app and trying to reinstall it, logging in and logging out. I never stopped to think that a loving game app would be tied to whether or not I had the latest windows updates. I don't understand how Microsoft is so absolutely terrible at implementing things in their own operating system.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been playing since 2020 and I still don't bother with long haul flights, beyond just the time and power commitment, because I don't want to do a coast to coast and CTD on final. Even though CTDs have been pretty rare for me for a while now when I'm not swinging time compression around wildly.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

I really hope 2024 is better.

I'm desperately clinging to the "we're making 2024 a much thinner client" promise. Even though I'm not having a lot of the problems these other folks are, the downloads are pretty ridiculous in size alone.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've done more long haul recently. Especially since the 787 and 747 are good now. But the longest so far has been Johannesburg to London on the A330.

I mostly set it to 4x time and then go off and do other things until landing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I cap myself at about 1 hour segments because I don't have much time to commit beyond that, and it's less lost if the game takes a dump.

E- And even then, that may involve brief interruptions for doing the laundry or some other small task while in cruise unless VATSIM is busy.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So it turns out if you're cloud streaming the game to an Xbox console, you get an error when trying to buy planes from the marketplace. Kinda dumb.
I had to install the base game (valuable Starfield HD space, at nearly 130 gigs base) just to make a single purchase.
Streaming usually works fantastic for me (which is why I usually cloud game it), with only very occasional hiccups while something behind the scenes catches up and you get a microsecond screen tear.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MrYenko posted:

Preordered a Bigscreen Beyond this morning. The MSFS downloader is going to be WAAY better looking.

:homebrew:

Let us know how it turns out. Bought a pico this year but then life stuff hadn't and then I didn't have the patience to set it up properly with my PC

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding the MSFS client, I'm not satisfied until it asks you to disable windows UAC safeties like Star Citizen

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sorry for spamming but what's the gold standard for good but affordable mfd control right now? Cougar MFDs still a community favorite?

I'm trying to get back into DCS

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

piratepilates posted:

Even if the update process works without errors for people (I've had good success with it past launch), it just sucks, its an awful experience, especially if you buy it through Microsoft's first party service:
- when there's an update, you have to restart your PC for the MSFS store to see the update, then have it update
- then launch the game itself, which launches the updater inside of it
- which runs as like a DirectX application, so it sits there keeping the GPU active for as long as the update happens, along with that stupid music playing
- and even then, there's more updates in the form of the content manager, which again requires you to sit in the game waiting for it to finish

Microsoft makes the OS, the game engine, owns the studio, owns the different storefronts and distribution network, owns the entire cloud infrastructure it runs on, and its still a frustrating mess just updating the game. Compare that to any other game on steam, where it just updates the game in the background, along with any content you need, and then you just click a "Play" button and it all works. It's been 3 years and its still just as much of a mess.

As I said earlier in the year in this very thread:

Boar It posted:

Microsoft is the company that struggles the most with developing for Windows.

It truly baffles me how bad Microsoft is at creating software for their own OS.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sorry for spamming but what's the gold standard for good but affordable mfd control right now? Cougar MFDs still a community favorite?

I'm trying to get back into DCS

Yes. Cougar still solid and auto detects / assigns in DCS

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yes. The only issue with them is that they have an internal Left/Right assignment that they send as part of their device ID and if you want to use an odd number (eg. 3 in the Hornet), they can occasionally quarrel with each other over exactly which one is the true left/right device. In particular, if you unplug and reconnect them, two devices on the “same side” can end up swapping binds.

Note that you can rename devices in DCS in particular by double-clicking on the device header on the bind screen to keep track of them more easily, and this will also let you more readily identify if and when one of those device conflicts have occurred.

For DCS, it is also worth noting that the bind coding is very very very very stupid in that, if a module has a control set hard-coded and ready-made setups for a device such as the MFDs, it will commonly not accept that you assign it binds outside of that set. It's a consequence of how the bind setup functions: a device definition file that doesn't include every bind, but rather a small subset, will only allow that subset to be used at all.

MFDs in particular seem to be a very common target for this restriction such that, in the A-10, you can only bind the buttons to the actual in-cockpit MFD — you're not allowed to use a spare to control anything else in the cockpit. Well… unless you hack it in manually, of course.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I bought the Cougar MFD pack but one of them is dead :negative:

It doesn't get recognized in DCS, Target, or even Windows, no matter where I plug it in. I've contacted the support in the hopes that they can teach me a fix, but I'm afraid I have to send it back. The one that's working makes interacting with the plane soooo much smoother, though. Only downside is that with all the flight sim hardware, my desk is turning into an unmanageable catastrophe.

Can't wait to have them both working!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah bud you'll just have to RMA it. I'm sure since it's a boutique retailer they'll work with you.

Please remind them that you are influencing my future purchase/lack of purchase due to this issue. Consider me influenced and their brand to be tarnished.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah bud you'll just have to RMA it. I'm sure since it's a boutique retailer they'll work with you.

Please remind them that you are influencing my future purchase/lack of purchase due to this issue. Consider me influenced and their brand to be tarnished.

Oh, I bought it at a retailer that has good customer support and who could replace it within a day. I just want to try it through Thrustmaster first; it would be a shame to trash an entire set if one of them works. Maybe they have a fix or can replace the broken one.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Bottom line up front: jump in any time to fly with or without friends, the war's on 24/7.

You can try all the following for FREE. Caucasus is free, few planes are free, DCS is free.
Now is a great time to get into DCS. Not only is Steam sale still today, and website sale for two more days, but Air Goons pooled some 1600 bucks together and got a banging top notch server to a goon host's house in Canada, running a new type of dynamic gamemode.

Snapshot posted:

Airgoons, through the generous donation of its members, has spun up a new almost-always-on DCS multiplayer server, the Even Lamer NA Goon Server. How does it fit with the other Airgoons servers?

First, we coordinate through the Airgoons discord so if you want to get on any of these servers and fly with other goons, reach out and ask in DCS general or join the "lets fly/DCS voice chat channel"

The two current servers are based in Europe and are used for weekend scripted missions and general training missions. Both are usually running a goon variant of the TTI mission, which allows you to spawn in ground target groups and air targets at selectable difficulty at random waypoints so you can practice at your own pace in a relatively controlled environment:

Even Lamer Dogfight Server runs pvp missions on the caucuses map, or a modified TTI mission on the caucuses map. This will usually be left on a caucuses map to allow newer players who are running the free version of the game to join.

Even Lamer Goon Server runs the weekly Airgoons campaign missions on Saturday, which are more realistic 20-30 person missions set in cold war to modern day eras; and the mercenary campaign missions on Sunday, which are currently pillaging mars (Syria with the dust turned up) at the behest of a bunch of rappers turned mob bosses. When it's not jumping the shark, a Syria map modified TTI or other training mission is live.

The new Airgoons server is meant to complement these by having an always on dynamic mission to allow drop in players to have something less sterile than TTI to join. Since not everyone can make the Saturday or Sunday missions, we want something that you can quickly join and go, that works from solo players up to multiple flights and doesn't require set up or a reload to get going, and stays fresh. We also want it to be available to a wider audience, so it will usually be running free maps, and have free aircraft (SU-25T, A-4, and Hercules).

All three have the usual password, lljk

The current mission we have running is Dzsek's Pretense dynamic pve campaign. The idea is that a grid of zones are linked together on each side, and the goal is to capture all the enemy nodes. To do this, AI on both sides will generate missions based on the current condition to support their own lines, and weaken or capture enemy zones. Starting grid below.

What's good about this?
From what we've seen in playtesting, it feels much more alive than the usual dynamic pve mission. You'll take a strike tasking, and while you're flying out, the enemy will task cap to take you out. Your own side will respond by tasking their own cap, etc. You're usually seeing plenty of your own and enemy forces while on a mission. Ground units in small 4-5 unit convoys will also be attacking, intercepting and supplying nodes in the ground war under you near the frontline.

The enemy is aggressive. Reports of raids on backline bases are common, and don't be surprised if while you're starting the SAMs on the base near you are fending off another raid.

The mission system is easy to use. Call up the missions on the f10 map and you will get a list of available missions. Punch in the reference code, similar to the Levant mp servers, and you will have the mission assigned to you, get more detail and get am additional code to allow other people to join in before you take off.

The server state is persistent. The mission will keep state for everything but the herc airdrops through server resets, and the server will pause when nobody is on, so work you've done will be undone by redfor, not by a reset.

Logistics work. All the nodes for both sides spawn taskings, cargo and airborne troops, air ai missions, ground missions, and build new units, defences, or buildings based upon the amount of supply they have, and any units that can apply bonuses. Transport helicopters and aircraft matter, as they will allow front line bases to reinforce and capture new areas, and have the supply to allow player aircraft to grab more troops. The AI will also handle supply missions, but they will also be interceptable, and are a high priority target. Supplies in general stream into friendly major airbases and from there convoys head to nodes to distribute.

You can get ways to influence the battle - as you complete missions under the same callsign, you will eventually gain the ability to get tokens to influence your ai and get bonuses for your team, like requesting a JTAC drone to orbit a zone for 30 minutes to spot and mark targets, or request the AI to focus on the zone you designate.

If you want to fly with others, there's usually people around in the evenings in North America, but other times have some presence.

TL;DR: New DCS airgoon server: Even Lamer NA Goon Server, password lljk, running Pretense dynamic campaign on caucuses map. Feels more alive than most PVE dynamic campaign servers. Join the Airgoons discord to find more people to fly with.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 15, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a 7800x3d and the game definitely runs better.

about 3 minutes in my cessna nosed down into the ground and i realized my joystick vkb gladiator wouldn't calibrate. While taking it apart i pulled on the stick way too hard and severed all 3 wires to the buttons. lol

anyways I soldered the wires back together and then found out the magnet for the y axis sensor had slipped out and was rattling around. I glued it back in and put it all back together and good as new. :shrug:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ethanol posted:

While taking it apart i pulled on the stick way too hard and severed all 3 wires to the buttons. lol

anyways I soldered the wires back together and then found out the magnet for the y axis sensor had slipped out and was rattling around. I glued it back in and put it all back together and good as new. :shrug:

:dogstare:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ethanol posted:

I got a 7800x3d and the game definitely runs better.

about 3 minutes in my cessna nosed down into the ground and i realized my joystick vkb gladiator wouldn't calibrate. While taking it apart i pulled on the stick way too hard and severed all 3 wires to the buttons. lol

Are you the guy who fixes flight school cessnas

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I just got a 3080Ti and a Reverb G2, and I'm having a weird visual blurring issue when dogfighting in War Thunder. When I move my head really fast to check on enemies, all visual information sort of blurs/duplicates itself at a slight time offset that is directly correlatatable to how fast I'm moving my head. Think like if it were an audio signal, there's a very quick echo, essentially giving me two visual fields to interpret lined up on top of each other (or four, if you want to get technical). It makes identifying targets or even being able to recognize where the correct target is when I'm trying to aim very difficult. I've tried rawdogging it with all AA off and no DLSS and it's still doing this. I'm going to try some recommendations like ditching SteamVR in favour of some other XR implementations tonight, but has anyone here dealt with a similar problem successfully on their own rig? I'll whip up a Photoshopped image of what it looks like through the headset when I get home from work and edit this post.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

XYZAB posted:

So I just got a 3080Ti and a Reverb G2, and I'm having a weird visual blurring issue when dogfighting in War Thunder. When I move my head really fast to check on enemies, all visual information sort of blurs/duplicates itself at a slight time offset that is directly correlatatable to how fast I'm moving my head. Think like if it were an audio signal, there's a very quick echo, essentially giving me two visual fields to interpret lined up on top of each other (or four, if you want to get technical). It makes identifying targets or even being able to recognize where the correct target is when I'm trying to aim very difficult. I've tried rawdogging it with all AA off and no DLSS and it's still doing this. I'm going to try some recommendations like ditching SteamVR in favour of some other XR implementations tonight, but has anyone here dealt with a similar problem successfully on their own rig? I'll whip up a Photoshopped image of what it looks like through the headset when I get home from work and edit this post.

Is this some reprojection that's not keeping up with your headmovements? What framerate are you achieving?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Try changing v-sync settings maybe. I had a similar problem on MSFS

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i was reading some stupid dday book that said they planned to drop the paratroopers from only 1000 ft up... so i loaded up the dc3 in fs2020 set the time to midnight and took off across the english channel, which was easy and boring. then i dropped to 1000 ft and 100 mph tried to cross the Cherbourg peninsula and tried not to smash into the ground which was unstable, terrifying and difficult and i was disoriented the whole 10 minutes i was over land. and nobody was even shooting at me. no wonder nobody made their dropzone irl.

it'd be cool if there was a game/mod that was just trying to drop paratroopers realistically like that

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
1250ft during peacetime so that you leave a good opportunity for reserve chute useage. Several seconds of a window.

Actual combat drop is 750ish to 900 feet and leaves a second or two for the reserve if you know something is wrong. Maybe.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ethanol posted:

i was reading some stupid dday book that said they planned to drop the paratroopers from only 1000 ft up... so i loaded up the dc3 in fs2020 set the time to midnight and took off across the english channel, which was easy and boring. then i dropped to 1000 ft and 100 mph tried to cross the Cherbourg peninsula and tried not to smash into the ground which was unstable, terrifying and difficult and i was disoriented the whole 10 minutes i was over land. and nobody was even shooting at me. no wonder nobody made their dropzone irl.

it'd be cool if there was a game/mod that was just trying to drop paratroopers realistically like that

Il2 Battle of Normandy has C47s in Normandy but dday doesn't look fleshed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm not sure if anyone ever watches Planespotter Youtube but I have to say, one thing to motivate me to want to take flights in flight sim and lug out all my stuff for the sim is watching the LA Flights streams in the background of working. It's very chill and nice - Honestly a little weird to me how 'involved' their community is for a relatively passive channel, but hey, if they're having fun, no harm no foul. When they're live its just gentle commentary over perpetual plane landings. Perfect for busywork background noise and sometimes looking over.

This week they've been in JFK catching all the delegations coming in for UN week and its been pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/@L.A.FLIGHTS