Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mirotic posted:

With one sentence that does not wish him well or thank him for his time. That is also deafening.

Doesn't Flus call defensive plays anyway? I've tried to find coordinators who were given statements like those you're alluding to and turning up pretty empty particularly for those that spent just over a year with the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Doesn't Flus call defensive plays anyway? I've tried to find coordinators who were given statements like those you're alluding to and turning up pretty empty particularly for those that spent just over a year with the team.

He did not call the defense until last week.

Also he and Alan Williams have been working together for 5 years as he brought him over from the Colts.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

To repeat myself, multiple times here, but also spell it out as explicitly as possible: If it were a family issue / health issue as is being reported and repeated by Rapoport on NFL Total Access this evening, it would be expected that the Bears wish him well because that's what you do as a normal human being, let alone an organization with a PR team.

For example, the statement from Williams himself is odd (not in the least because it's not on team letterhead) but the part where he praises the McCaskeys is expected or standard language for this kind of thing. It is also odd that the Bears in their statement did not reciprocate at even the level of basic human decency, nor did this statement get posted on social media anywhere.

To illustrate, here's the Bears issuing a statement on a sudden death and posting Nagy's statement when he got fired as well as a link to the story on the Bears site. Note that he also has positive words for the McCaskeys / thanks them for the opportunity.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1480557443541307395?t=EnwJ-LiEqme2IJIPr_s8EQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1418586712733675529?t=W6LP1ZrIHt2gE6epAlF-Uw&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1480673850081878018?t=sFYfnPwXdv5s4m0jk77wVw&s=19

I have worked in PR and in journalism (again, repeating myself to make it clear that I am not just baselessly speculating but am operating off experience to inform my thought process here), and this is either an exceptional gently caress up on multiple levels or they were blindsided.

And given what Biggs said (ie that his reporting / sourcing indicates it is NOT family / health and that he said anything at all), I am leaning towards the latter, as it would be pretty standard to have a plan in place PR-wise if a sudden emergency came up. You can bet your rear end they have a plan for when Virginia dies, it is updated at least semi-regularly, and they likely have her obituary pre-written.

And as Dexo said, Flus did not call plays until last week.

Mirotic fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 21, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OK, you've convinced me. The Twitter randos were right and he's actually ten Jimmy Savilles in a trenchcoat and killed the Lindbergh Baby.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, you've convinced me. The Twitter randos were right and he's actually ten Jimmy Savilles in a trenchcoat and killed the Lindbergh Baby.

Don't forget he killed Tupac too.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thank you so so much for putting words in my mouth. Love when that happens.

I did not say I believe the Twitter randos. I don't, in fact, believe the Twitter randos. I don't really know what I believe happened with this dude other than the way this is being handled is unusual. Everything I've pointed to and discussed has come from established reporters or the Bears themselves.

If you're going to insult me, at least come correct and be funny, Jesus.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
maybe the real football team works PR for the Bears

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only good piece of news I've had today is the existence of Special Agent Peanut

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Party Boat posted:

The only good piece of news I've had today is the existence of Special Agent Peanut

"Justice Punch!"
Curse you special agent peanut! I'll get the bears secret playbook!
"Looks like you fumbled the ball on this one, Cheesehead!"
Heroes laugh, roll credits

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also the playbook is the crow comic meme except instead of "caw" his material is all "screens"

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

SKULL.GIF posted:

For like 2-3 weeks in August we had a small but vocal sector of Packers fans insisting Sean Clifford was better in every way than Jordan Love.

Easily explained, Clifford has way less melanin and there's still a bunch of racists around.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I forgot I posted in this thread but to everyone thinking I was doom and glooming the Vikings, no.

I am manifesting the number 1 pick because we've never picked it before, and that seems more interesting to me than what I fully expect to happen. The Vikings have the highest potential to do what they do every year and win 9 or 10 and either make the play offs to get our asses roasted by San Fran or Seattle or miss out because we hosed up and randomly decided to poo poo ourselves against the Raiders. Meanwhile we'll miss out on all the good QBs and we'll be stuck with picking up Jimmy G or some poo poo in 3 years when Kirk gets his dick ripped off because our line is poo poo, after we've spent those 3 years extending him.

Idk about you guys but I'm sick of the mediocrity, and I don't expect it to suddenly change this year, so at least the Caleb Williams sweepstakes makes me think something could actually change with this organization rather than being a consistent "almost there or not good enough"

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

despite all the recent whackiness with the Bears, i still have no idea what an “Eberflus” is or what it looks like

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eberflus won't be there much longer, it's okay

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mirotic posted:

You can bet your rear end they have a plan for when Virginia dies

They've already prepared her McCasket

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/dabearsblog/status/1704820296958488681

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

These are just normal roadbumps on the highway to the Super Bowl

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DrPossum posted:

These are just normal roadbumps on the highway to the Super Bowl

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1704823628381012047

Finally a stabilizing force is back in the lockerroom.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Roseo posted:

Easily explained, Clifford has way less melanin and there's still a bunch of racists around.

That is in fact exactly what that post meant.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Dexo posted:

Game changing news.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dexo posted:

Did they cut him by mistake or something

E: oh probably for making room to add another OT to the roster

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 21, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

For like 2-3 weeks in August we had a small but vocal sector of Packers fans insisting Sean Clifford was better in every way than Jordan Love.

Ah, I see you’ve been hanging out with my friends.

See also: last year and Danny Etling

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Did they cut him by mistake or something

E: oh probably for making room to add another OT to the roster

Had to out pace the DC story and only Nathan could do

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This is a fantastic breakdown of why it doesn't pass the smell test. Clearly there is something here and the fact that we are getting nothing from the Bears is troubling.

That doesn't mean the other poo poo being thrown at the wall is true.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
His family that got sick and died was a McCaskey and the scandal is that he's now the majority owner

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

HootTheOwl posted:

His family that got sick and died was a McCaskey and the scandal is that he's now the majority owner

I'll take anyone other than a McCaskey at this point

Not you, Dan Snyder

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He was fuckin gramama

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll take anyone other than a McCaskey at this point

Not you, Dan Snyder

*Monkey paw curls and Carrot Top walks in*

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Nervous posted:

Carrot Top is a self made man, unlike the Mccaskey's

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dexo posted:

“All I want for my birthday is to cut Nathan Peterman and then re-sign him the next day” - Ryan Poles, probably

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Nervous posted:

All-orange uniforms all the time

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bears should be relegated to the XFL.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nervous posted:

Next week, at the pressor after losing 79-2
Look I want to just hide. That was embarrassing. I want to put up a fence around me from the media*holds up a small picket fence* a me-fence, because we certainly didn't play defense or there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways: coach of the year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/kirkgwong/status/1704896668314005640

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Did anyone actually *ask* if the Bears are panicking? If not then lol

"My 'not involved in human trafficking' shirt" etc, etc

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That picture of poles looks like the guy in the onion whaler sandwich not sitting too good picture.
https://www.theonion.com/whaler-sandwich-not-sitting-too-good-with-area-man-1819564173

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
What in the world is going on with the bears?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

What in the world is going on with the bears?

Lol.

But also: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1704875220522193103?t=px00a1UHVIF2Mo72D9u2_g&s=19

Time to get hype I guess