Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really wish I liked Bozja but everything about that zone viscerally repels me. It's so intensely ugly. The writing is about 30x more :words: than it needs to be. And mechanically, while it is more refined than Eureka, I think I actually prefer the more obtuse Eureka style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Bozja had a lot of good individual characters, as others have said, but the overall story was…lackluster. But I did like the idea of telling character stories through fates as you progressed through the zones.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Music is pretty killer too, though that's pretty much a given. I could hang around in Gangos for ages.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HPanda posted:

But it has to be fully random, like we’re just walking through the Void and run into him. Just for the sheer exasperation from Diabolos thinking we must be stalking him at this point. “I’M NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING!”

So you're saying he should be the trash pull between boss 2 and boss 3.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

honestly I'm interested in the big solo duty that'll happen in probsbly 6.55. they've always been cool events for me even if, like, the 3.55 one isn't mechanically interesting.

4.55 has some flair, 5.55 was a big cool moment, and turning steps of faith into one for ARR is a cool way to bring everyone together before heavensward.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had the window open still so I got screenshots:

Official page launch, by the way.

The most promising thing about this to me, at this early stage with very little information: That's not D&D's dice set. (it's Lancer's, actually, among others.) So whatever we're looking at, it's not just a '5e compatible' cash grab.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 21, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the site also lists 'ability markers' as included. praying you actually do have to roll to run out of bad

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think my favorite part of Bozja was the trippy as gently caress solo duty in the unlock quest

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the starter box doesn't even come with the full player/gamemaster books which will be out at a later date

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah you can see the books and they seem more like boardgame-sized instruction manuals.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I think my favorite part of Bozja was the trippy as gently caress solo duty in the unlock quest

Using the music from The Burn really helped sell the Inception-like visuals.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Endorph posted:

the site also lists 'ability markers' as included. praying you actually do have to roll to run out of bad

You can see what I think is that in the whole screenshot, too; those orange bars could only be column AoEs, right?

That might be the best clue for how this plays; appropriately to the game, it seems like it might have a lot more of a focus on positioning and physically getting out of AoEs. Which is neat, is there a TTRPG that focuses on that stuff as a primary element?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's hard to say without knowing exactly how the game materializes, but there's a good number of indie titles that utilize grids in interesting ways. for example Summon Skate has you play as monster-fighting figure skaters and you skate shapes to activate abilities:

then there's more traditional combat grid games which use Lines, Blast, and Burst effects along with different terrain effects. the upcoming Gubat Banwa rpg is a good example

https://twitter.com/playgubatbanwa/status/1694352874808168748

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The most promising thing about this to me, at this early stage with very little information: That's not D&D's dice set. (it's Lancer's, actually, among others.) So whatever we're looking at, it's not just a '5e compatible' cash grab.

That's a good point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wouldn't have expected a Japanese TTRPG to be that derivative of D&D in the first place, that's mostly a western thing

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i will say that the various SE board games have been pretty buhhh and really just coast on brand recognition to me so this is pretty "wait and see" for me currently, but it seems interesting if nothing else.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wonder if the books will be canon lore

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsQ18U-e1g

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

I wouldn't have expected a Japanese TTRPG to be that derivative of D&D in the first place, that's mostly a western thing

I mean tbf Final Fantasy is derivative of D&D so it would at least make some sense.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

it's hard to say without knowing exactly how the game materializes, but there's a good number of indie titles that utilize grids in interesting ways. for example Summon Skate has you play as monster-fighting figure skaters and you skate shapes to activate abilities:

then there's more traditional combat grid games which use Lines, Blast, and Burst effects along with different terrain effects. the upcoming Gubat Banwa rpg is a good example

https://twitter.com/playgubatbanwa/status/1694352874808168748

these both sound badass thanks for sharing

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean Final Fantasy 1 was derivative of D&D.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy has Mind Flayers, just like Baldur's Gate 3.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Final Fantasy 1 is so based off of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons that some of the sprites are traced from the Monster Manual iirc.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm going to buy and play this terrible TTRPG so hard.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
"Look at all the sweet bosses we've added in Endwalker's patches! Also, listen to this sick remix of FFIX's Festival of the Hunt that people allergic to PvP never get to hear."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9XxAMYjauQ

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
it makes zero sense to me that they introduced variant dungeons/criterion dungeons and are making three of them without tying one of the relic steps to one. you can solve three problems at once! the "not enough content" problem, the "relic grinds are too easy" problem, and the "criterion/criterion savage aren't rewarding enough" problem by adding relic doodads to variant, more to criterion, and the most to criterion savage. criterion clears don't even reward causality tomes!! this would additionally add longevity to criterion dungeons which they desperately need since you're just in there until you get a mount! (or just drop 20m gil on the mount, it's not like gil is needed for anything!)

gently caress they could've just put some relic doodads in orthos and i'd be fine with that. orthos also needs motivation & longevity since it's an inferior leveling method compared to StQ content.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 21, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

they seem desperately afraid of affecting actual gear progression. relics don't matter because they were never bis and only for people with brain worms or who liked the glams or catchup

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Oneiros posted:

they seem desperately afraid of affecting actual gear progression. relics don't matter because they were never bis and only for people with brain worms or who liked the glams or catchup

they really do and it's extremely dumb since the amount of savage clears you need to gear up one job for each role each tier is bordering on s-rank achievements insanity.

relics are BIS but typically only for ultimates (and also in eureka pre-physeos, for the same reason: selectable substats at specific ilvl sync points)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Savage tier gearing really depends on how you do the content. If you are in a static, getting one job geared up is relatively easy. PF is a different matter, though.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Tekopo posted:

Savage tier gearing really depends on how you do the content. If you are in a static, getting one job geared up is relatively easy. PF is a different matter, though.

gonna be very hard to convince a static to do enough clears to get one melee, one physranged, one caster, one healer, and one tank BIS for 8 people.

in prior expacs gearing up several roles wasn't as needed since the big time-sink forays were gear agnostic. but now that criterion is ilvl sync'd to higher than the savage tier's rewards, if you want to be flexible for small party savage content you need to gear up one of each role!

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 21, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Frida Call Me posted:

gonna be very hard to convince a static to do enough clears to get one melee, one physranged, one caster, one healer, and one tank BIS for 8 people.

in prior expacs gearing up several roles wasn't as needed since the big time-sink forays were gear agnostic. but now that criterion is ilvl sync'd to higher than the savage tier's rewards, if you want to be flexible for small party savage content you need to gear up one of each role!

Or just, two roles. You really don't need one of each. Also ilvl Sync is the "maximimum" you can be in a given piece of content, not the requirement to do that content.

Edit: Variant and Criterion still should have been tied into the relic weapons somehow, or have some way to get tomestone gear upgrade items.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

eh, i've done savage pf and static this expansion and...eh

bis barely matters except for the most annoying of stats, skill/spell speed. this tier especially dps checks were practically nonexistent

i have cut back on reclears tho and the most impact that has had is...i don't volunteer to
sub because my gear on alt jobs is still last-tier. great job, cbu3

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

Or just, two roles. You really don't need one of each. Also ilvl Sync is the "maximimum" you can be in a given piece of content, not the requirement to do that content.

Edit: Variant and Criterion still should have been tied into the relic weapons somehow, or have some way to get tomestone gear upgrade items.

it's certainly not required but it absolutely makes it smoother. both rear end and AMR have difficult mechanics you can outright skip with a somewhat clean run with folks in BIS, even if they're suboptimal jobs (like non-SAM, non-BLM lol)

light party balance is blatantly in favor of selfish dps jobs since rdps jobs have half as many people to apply buffs. to they really should've added compensation to some jobs to make up for this, but nope you're just straight-up worse if you bring a physranged instead of a BLM or a DRG/NIN over a SAM.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 21, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tomestones encourage roulettes that keep content moving for newer players, which is important for the game. Variant+ and Orthos encourage mindlessly spamming out runs of max level content optimized for fastest gain. Not surprising they went with the first one.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Khizan posted:

Tomestones encourage roulettes that keep content moving for newer players, which is important for the game. Variant+ and Orthos encourage mindlessly spamming out runs of max level content optimized for fastest gain. Not surprising they went with the first one.

And they managed to thread this needle in Shadowbringers by having 2 options for the grind, you could have done both roulettes and Variant/Deep Dungeon as options.

As it is, the Tomestones yes, give a lot of options in Roulette, but that doesn't necessarily make them interesting, and loads of stuff already incentivise roulettes.

Personally, my issue is more that they didn't have say, the Nier Automata raids be an option for one of the steps, but that's mostly because I'd like to do fun alliance raids in roulettes and not boring ones.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Khizan posted:

criterion clears are absurdly low. less than 6% of XIVcollect users have beaten rear end, less than 2% have beaten AMR. i think it's important for them to drive players to actually attempt this content *and* to provide reasons for players to continue doing it in the form of buffed rewards, gear advancement, or relic advancement.

tomestone relics don't encourage roulettes, they encourage hunt trains as you can acquire many times more tomestones per hour invested in that way.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'd love to run more savage but i'm not gonna spend the millions of gil per job to meet the minimum ilv restrictions or spend the time farming rng, weekly locked gear, or the months required for capped tomes, to actually do so on alt jobs

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Frida Call Me posted:

I'm not really sure how me saying it's not that hard to get BIS in savage for one job turned into getting BIS for 5 jobs per person.

Edit: Also the revised gearing changes make it even easier this time around to gear for savage when compared to the first two tiers of Panda, especially if your job requires a chest for BIS

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned one job per role, missed that, so my bad.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 21, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I think I'd have preferred a 5e or Pathfinder cash grab, especially Pathfinder, if only because it'd be easier to slot in and use.

I mean, yeah, gently caress WotC, but I'd definitely have an easier time getting a 5e game going than a new system, and I would kill to be able to play my Roegadude Gunbreaker in a Pathfinder Society game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

light party balance is blatantly in favor of selfish dps jobs since rdps jobs have half as many people to apply buffs. to they really should've added compensation to some jobs to make up for this, but nope you're just straight-up worse if you bring a physranged instead of a BLM or a DRG/NIN over a SAM.

theres actually a damage buff in criterion for buff jobs but its not tuned high enough

you are definitely correct that you do get doubled owned if you're running a phys ranged or a non-blm caster just because the damage gap is significant