Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I don't pay too much attention year over year since I don't upgrade that often but isn't that true every release?

For the 12 and 13 there arguably was not much difference between the Pro and the Amateur. Telephoto lens was about it.

(I know that you can point to additional differences. But my point is that normies don't know or care about the LIDAR and the band material.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tiny Timbs posted:

How’s Tidal? I think it’s the only one I haven’t tried.
I’m pretty happy with Tidal so far; I like that it doesn’t have podcasts and I feel like I’m finding new artists from ~the algorithm~ at about the same rate as from Spotify.

If you use the macOS app there’s some accessibility permissions setting you need to tweak to get the media keys working but I think that’s the only actual issue I’ve had with it. Unlike Apple Music which would not stop making duplicates of albums I added (from the streaming library, not even local files 🤬)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Exciting shipping chat: my 5:04am PST ATT order for two 15 Pros shipped today and will be delivered Friday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, at least for Verizon shipping, no one seems to want the blue. The Pro in 128 and 256 blue is shipping on time (I think for both) and the Pro Max blue is the quickest shipping still.

The white is the farther back ordered, but that could just be supplies.

I think Natural and Black (of course) are the most popular.
I feel like this is a confluence of

1) Lots of people getting blue in the 12/13/14 Pro and wanting to change things up

2) Pre-order people being more likely to follow techtubers who seem to prefer natural

3) Natural being the closest to gold this generation

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

AT&T is still selling 14 Pros and Apple sometimes has refurbs

My carrier will still happily sell you a 13 Pro as well. People will keep selling them so long as they have stock.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I will say as a former Android user moving to an iphone 12 pro when it came out, I find that I don't thirst nearly as much for yearly/bi-yearly iPhone upgrades as I did for Android ones.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

vyst posted:

I will say as a former Android user moving to an iphone 12 pro when it came out, I find that I don't thirst nearly as much for yearly/bi-yearly iPhone upgrades as I did for Android ones.

This is probably a good thing. I wonder if it's because Android phones often take big swings between iterations, which when they miss can only be resolved through hardware iterations (but at the same time a lot of those innovations can feel really cool and futuristic, and I do miss that sense of experimentation at the same time). I had a Pixel 6 and it was a good phone but a few of its innovations felt like pain points after a relatively short amount of time. Whereas I've only ever upgraded iPhones after batteries have died.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Watching this unboxing video from mkbhd, the new pastel iPhone colors both just look slightly offwhite. Maybe overexposed but I really need to see these in person. (They look less blown out in the thumbnail.)

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=XevcYSSyjNFlXIx_

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

The Grumbles posted:

This is probably a good thing. I wonder if it's because Android phones often take big swings between iterations, which when they miss can only be resolved through hardware iterations (but at the same time a lot of those innovations can feel really cool and futuristic, and I do miss that sense of experimentation at the same time). I had a Pixel 6 and it was a good phone but a few of its innovations felt like pain points after a relatively short amount of time. Whereas I've only ever upgraded iPhones after batteries have died.

There's definitely more of a "gimmick" (for want of a better word) to each new Android flagship that comes out because they have to differentiate themselves in the market vs the other 500 android phones that year, while iPhone has a total of like 5 models actively sold new at any given time and they're all from the same company so you don't have to guard against anybody else's innovations.

There's probably also a software support thing there too. My old Pixel 3 was released about the same time as my XR (October 2018), and not only does the Pixel 3 no longer get updates, neither does the Pixel 4, and the Pixel 5 goes out of support next month, while Samsung have only just committed to 4 years of software updates for phones post-2019 - and Google and Samsung are some of the better Android support lifetimes.

Meanwhile my XR has gone from iOS 12 to iOS 17 and is probably going to make it to at least iOS 18 before support ends - 6 years no sweat.

e: also doesn't help that even top-end Samsung phones are laggy and don't feel nice to use. This camera lag is the sort of experience that turned me off Android and onto using my wife's cast-off spare XR finally. It's not major lag but when you're paying like £1200 for a phone over 2 years a 2021 flagship should feel nicer to actually use every day than a 2018 mid-range phone.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

I probably wouldn't if it wasn't for nice trade-in deals. We've managed to keep an old phone around as a backup should one of us lose or break ours or whatever (hasn't happened yet, but), so we just trade that in for whoever is up, and retire theirs to backup duty. This time around it's an iPhone 12 with a broken screen, so I'm glad to get rid of it and Verizon is still giving $830 which is vastly more than I'd get anywhere else.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

I probably wouldn't if it wasn't for nice trade-in deals. We've managed to keep an old phone around as a backup should one of us lose or break ours or whatever (hasn't happened yet, but), so we just trade that in for whoever is up, and retire theirs to backup duty. This time around it's an iPhone 12 with a broken screen, so I'm glad to get rid of it and Verizon is still giving $830 which is vastly more than I'd get anywhere else.

also lol jfc US trade-in deals are insanity. This is what I'd get on a carrier in the UK for the same.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Surprise T Rex posted:

also lol jfc US trade-in deals are insanity. This is what I'd get on a carrier in the UK for the same.

It’s probably because they get rear end hosed so much with their mobile plans contract charges and network availability and a good trade in plan is the only consolation to stay with them. While here I am with 5G £20 a month unlimited everything plan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The US "deals" are pretty deceptive. They require a multiyear commitment (at&t's is three years) and subscription to their most expensive plan (at&t's is $85 a month).

I think we all end up getting screwed about equally, but the specifics of how companies do it varies.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Usually the prices are pretty competitive even with prepaid if you have 4 or more lines on one of the big carriers. You can hit under $40 including the phone financing, but the discounts come from the bill credits over 36 months and if you bail you're on the hook for the rest of what's left.

I'd say the iUP is a better deal than what most carriers do since you're on the hook for 24 months instead but can upgrade after 12 for nothing extra.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Phone shipped lads.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got my green finewoven case. Surprised by how dark it is, but figure I’ll give it a go to see how it holds up. Apple’s leather cases have held up pretty well for me, so hopefully that’s true here? If not I’ll get a bullstrap I guess.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

smackfu posted:

Watching this unboxing video from mkbhd, the new pastel iPhone colors both just look slightly offwhite. Maybe overexposed but I really need to see these in person. (They look less blown out in the thumbnail.)

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=XevcYSSyjNFlXIx_

Yeah, tech YouTubers use some powerful studio lights, and in most of the reviews and hands-on vids i watched, they're incredibly pale. The yellow and blue, especially. Hoping they're better when i (try to) hit the Apple store on Saturday.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

xzzy posted:

The US "deals" are pretty deceptive. They require a multiyear commitment (at&t's is three years) and subscription to their most expensive plan (at&t's is $85 a month).

I think we all end up getting screwed about equally, but the specifics of how companies do it varies.

Family plans are much better. My line is not on the most expensive plan (its like 2 tiers from the best one) and it's $47 a month. I got the $830 promo, this is on Verizon. My pro max won't ship for another couple of weeks though, sucks but what can you do.

It's definitely true that if you're not on a family plan poo poo is rough out there though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Taima posted:

Family plans are much better. My line is not on the most expensive plan (its like 2 tiers from the best one) and it's $47 a month. I got the $830 promo, this is on Verizon. My pro max won't ship for another couple of weeks though, sucks but what can you do.

It's definitely true that if you're not on a family plan poo poo is rough out there though.

I would have likely gone prepaid long ago if I wasn't on this family plan with 3 other friends for the past 15 years. Individual post paid accounts are a loving scam.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

By the way it is hilarious how petty Apple is when you want to cancel an order. This has happened to me 2-3 times now in different circumstances!

The one that just happened:

There is a whole debacle with the Airpods Pro USB C where Apple wants $250 for them but you can get them at the other major retailers for $200, for no clear reason- this is clearly a huge gently caress up on Apple's part, something went real pear-shaped in the retail agreements on this device.

Anyways, I had already pre ordered the USB C airpods from Apple. There is no easy way to cancel an order from Apple, because I guess "gently caress you" that's why.

So you need to talk to them on the chat app, because of course you do! I did that. The return was accepted. I was told that it wouldn't ship- this was loving DAYS ago.

Now, this morning, after dead radio silence, I get two emails at the same time:

1) Your return has been processed
2) Your order shipped

These motherfuckers man. They held off on processing my return until exactly at the point that the item shipped. So now I have to either ship the loving thing back or go to an Apple Store.

They do this on purpose and it's wild that they don't get called out on it more. This is the second or third time they've hosed with me on these types of "ordered but want to cancel the order" situations, it's unreal.

e:

hey did anyone manage to get one of the $10 Airpod Pro or Airpod Max's that happened at the Verizon store over the weekend? details are sketchy but apparently a bunch of people got actual Airpod Maxes as well as Airpod Pro 2nd Gen lightning for like 10 bucks due to some pricing mistake relating to like... locker pickup or something? I hope someone here got in on it, I did not.

Aphrodite posted:

AirPods are almost always sold $50 less than Apple by Bestbuy, Amazon etc. actually. No clue why.

I understand that could be the case after launch, but does this usually happen on pre orders too before the device even ships? 99.9% of the time retail agreements explicitly forbid this kind of weird gaming of the MSRP for the exact reason that it's confusing and wastes time for everyone including them as people are forced to return the product or take the $50 hit, neither of which are great for customer goodwill OR the amount of time Apple needs to spend processing the returns, ya know?

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AirPods are almost always sold $50 less than Apple by Bestbuy, Amazon etc. actually. No clue why.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

These motherfuckers man. They held off on processing my return until exactly at the point that the item shipped. So now I have to either ship the loving thing back or go to an Apple Store.

try just refusing delivery of the package

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Huh, that's actually a good idea. Can you do that pre-emptively or do I have to actually catch the person as they arrive at my house or what?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Aphrodite posted:

geniuses don't work for free.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My recommendation is that you get AirPods from Costco because headphones aren’t covered under their 90 day exchange rule for electronics. I’ve exchanged year old AirPods there. Also cheaper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

Huh, that's actually a good idea. Can you do that pre-emptively or do I have to actually catch the person as they arrive at my house or what?

Have to catch the person or take it back to the shipper if they have a location.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My recommendation is that you get AirPods from Costco because headphones aren’t covered under their 90 day exchange rule for electronics. I’ve exchanged year old AirPods there. Also cheaper.

I am normally totally on board with getting stuff from Costco for the return policy, but in the case of Airpods, I always get Applecare for them. Then at the end of the Applecare 2 year window, I just get an Applecare exchange to a new battery so they last another 2 years.

It's wild to me that more people don't do that. That being said, I use my Airpods all the time, so they are easily eligible for a battery swap (which just means getting new ones in practice) at the end of the 2 years.

Applecare for Airpods is super cheap, so I really recommend anyone buying Airpods to buy the applecare and do that swap unless you don't use the Airpods much and think the battery will last you for years.

Costco could be better if you're willing to take advantage of their generous policy to swap them out, but to be totally real with you, I don't think that is something I would find moral to do after an entire year of using them. No offense.

One time when I was walking into Costco I saw a woman returning a dead christmas tree on like, January 7th. That is loving ice cold man lol

Subjunctive posted:

Have to catch the person or take it back to the shipper if they have a location.

Eh yeah. Sounds like it's about as much of a pain in the rear end as just mailing it back or dropping it at the apple store while I'm in town. Which I assume is what they rely on with the whole "forcing you to take cancelled items" thing they do :shrug:

$50 is right at the point where I would almost not care, but it's the principle of the thing at this point man.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Taima posted:

Costco could be better if you're willing to take advantage of their generous policy to swap them out, but to be totally real with you, I don't think that is something I would find moral to do after an entire year of using them. No offense.

One time when I was walking into Costco I saw a woman returning a dead christmas tree on like, January 7th. That is loving ice cold man lol

No offense taken. I used to work there and have a pretty skewed perspective on what’s moral because yeah, year old AirPods are on the low end of what people exchange.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Haha I'll bet dude, what is the craziest poo poo you've seen as a Costco employee?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

try just refusing delivery of the package

I would be wary of this option. The way that laws often work in the US, with lack of consumer protection: once the product leaves the distributor in a box, the product is no longer the property of the company. They can try to pin it on the delivery company, but if you refuse delivery and the package is "lost" on its way back to the shipper, you may be SOL. You would be trying to return a product that you have already purchased, and that you don't have possession of.

I try not to trust the word of support chat or phone agents without written documentation or confirmation of their action for this reason, unfortunately.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I know someone who was returning TVs and Dysons every year for new ones basically, which is why they stopped having such a generous policy with TVs at least….

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Has anyone found a non-leather 15 pro case with no bottom lip? I've resigned myself to the one leather one I found if need be, but I would prefer color of some kind if it exists.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Taima posted:

Haha I'll bet dude, what is the craziest poo poo you've seen as a Costco employee?

We stopped taking exchanges of bedding when I worked at the Costco on Kauai because people were bringing in 5-6 year old moldy mattresses. People also constantly “rented” air beds, pillows and sheets.

We also once had someone come in and buy the entire inventory of folding chairs and try to return them a few days later COVERED in red dirt.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh hey by the way, interestingly there have been some big updates to the wired buds in concert with the 15 release that is worth knowing.

They not only support Lossless audio now, they apparently have a DAC built in??

That's a huge upgrade. They apparently sound really good. :shrug: who would have thought.

e: ah yeah- a video that might be interesting was uploaded today that explains it further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CA6Hexuo4

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 21, 2023

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

We stopped taking exchanges of bedding when I worked at the Costco on Kauai because people were bringing in 5-6 year old moldy mattresses. People also constantly “rented” air beds, pillows and sheets.

We also once had someone come in and buy the entire inventory of folding chairs and try to return them a few days later COVERED in red dirt.

If it was NorCal and not Hawaii that would be a very Burning Man thing to do.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's so crazy. Do you think they'll continue with that type of return policy?

The part I don't get is how this type of policy helps Costco. I know it's convenient for shoppers, but is that policy truly retaining people, and even if it is, do they want to retain the people doing that. I just don't get it.

jabro posted:

If it was NorCal and not Hawaii that would be a very Burning Man thing to do.

This is extra funny given how burning man has shifted to a rich person / PMC playground. If you're going to burning man you can afford to mess up some linens and take the hit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've had it for 40 years.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Taima posted:

That's so crazy. Do you think they'll continue with that type of return policy?

The part I don't get is how this type of policy helps Costco. I know it's convenient for shoppers, but is that policy truly retaining people, and even if it is, do they want to retain the people doing that. I just don't get it.

This was 13 years ago, so I think they’ll always have it, yes. Most of their profit comes from membership fees, the stuff in the store and the return policy are to get you to pay for the fees.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They've had it for 40 years.

20 years ago they gave you free coffee and muffins and let you in an hour early if you had a business card.

5 years ago you could buy a polish in the food court or combo pizza.

Anyways, sorry for the diversion, I digress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: Everyone hates the FineWoven cases
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/categorically-terrible-and-other-early-reactions-to-apples-new-finewoven-accessories.2403610/