Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Gunshot Wound Appeared In Man's Head While Police Officer Was Nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Firearm assigned to officer was discharged moments before man died, sources report.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sinky posted:

Bad news, their own promo video already shows this innovation.

seems pretty wasteful to have each of them managing their own locomotion, tbh. maybe put a carriage at one end whose entire job it is to move it forward, with more space dedicated to an engine might be more efficient. would even be cost effective to have a person employed to manage the one movement carriage instead of relying on complex computer systems. you'd have to give them a fancy title though, like call them an engineer or something

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Julio Cruz posted:

I swear BBC news has got even worse, somehow

Chris Kaba was "hit by a bullet which went through the windscreen of the car he was travelling in"

how that bullet got there? :iiam:

I can’t find it now but there’s a great infographic which shows how “police shoot a man” turns into “a man died in a shooting in which an officer was involved”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are 2+ lanes around Bristol at least, but they’re only enforceable if the police actually sit there and catch you driving in them solo.

For whatever legal loophole reasons (maybe too hard to see how many people are in a vehicle with any degree of certainty?) they can’t be enforced by cameras like bus lanes and such.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Red Oktober posted:

I can’t find it now but there’s a great infographic which shows how “police shoot a man” turns into “a man died in a shooting in which an officer was involved”

is it this? https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-ambiguous-grammar worth reading regardless, internet classic

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s the one, great stuff.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Red Oktober posted:

That’s the one, great stuff.

Individual was pronounced dead at the scene from high velocity heavy metal poisoning.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A bipedal mammal absorbed the kinetic energy of a recently converted high potential energy particulate of copper-zinc alloy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm quoting from tonight's 10 O'Clock News, about 10 minutes in I think

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Look guns don't kill people, they just accelerate slugs of metal to incredibly high velocity. Once the bullet leaves the gun, it's hardly the gun's responsibility. In fact the gun even makes a loud bang to alert people, if they don't want to move out the way of the bullet, there's just no helping some people.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A black man was shot near a police officer whose heroic actions in calling for an ambulance almost saved the man's life

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh, also happy "eight years since it came out our prime minister hosed a dead pig" day 🐖

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Microplastics posted:

Bullet Killed Man After Suddenly Departing From Vicinity Of Police Officer

"Violent metal criminal slays man while fleeing from police".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

lool just saw old majesty king on the TV reading french very badly

loving hell... it's embarrassingly bad.

https://twitter.com/irishagreement/status/1704600855205306752

He didn't make any kind of real effort to pronounce the words properly. It wouldn't surprise me if it was written out for him phonetically

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Mum on the other hand

https://youtu.be/uxQpdHz7t2o

You can't beat a Gordonstoun education.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the queen could speak french although it's quite funny seeing her do it with the same accent lol.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think this is the first time I’ve actually seen Cheggers actually DO something since his gaudy coronation. Incredible how he was all over the telly for a week after his mum went to hammer home to the plebs that he is now definitely, indisputably King - no questions please. Then he just hosed off back to his life of lounging around and growing sausage fingers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh he also addressed the German Bundestag a while back, with equally hilarious pronunciation.

I like how with the French his first sentences aren't perfect but a decent go but by the fifth sentence he's not even trying.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
UN CROSSUNT SI VOUS PLEASE

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Café ololuge, silver plate.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

JE ASSASINE MON WIFE DANS LE TUNNEL

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the queen could speak french although it's quite funny seeing her do it with the same accent lol.

Its funny how 'The Queen' will always refer to the lich sleeping until the time is right to return, and not ever to Queen Camilla.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, Victoria.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Remember when that guy called the Liz's state composting "the most important event the world will ever see?"

Edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/queen-elizabeth-funeral-lindsay-hoyle-b2169832.html

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Its funny how 'The Queen' will always refer to the lich sleeping until the time is right to return, and not ever to Queen Camilla.

That's no way to talk about Diana.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly if anyone has the right to be called Queen it's her and not Charles lovely mistress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nilbop posted:

"the most important event the world will ever see?"
An Elizabeth the second has flown into the London Tower.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Diana is the only royal I've ever thought isn't an irredeemable oval office.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I gave up thinking, because it's like 70s radio presenters, every one is "but what abou... ohhhhhh ohno"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Diana is the only royal I've ever thought isn't an irredeemable oval office.

Exactly, and for that she was murdered.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I gave up thinking, because it's like 70s radio presenters, every one is "but what abou... ohhhhhh ohno"

And TV, quite recently we found out one of the guys from that 70s show was also a wrongcock.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I just read a critical Guardian review of the new season of Sex Education (which, in fairness, I haven't seen, so no personal stake) where Lucy Mangan spends a paragaph clucking at the portrayal of a trans character's prolonged struggle to get surgery, and then fantasises apparently at random that "the earlier, more radical version of the show might have questioned the value of surgery on healthy bodies as a cure for anything."

I'm not saying I need to agree with everything I read, but it did make me consider how much cultural commentary and analysis on my go-to sites is by the same seven TERFy twerps visibly and energetically working their personal preoccupations into their column space, so I'd like to make an effort to spread the net more widely.

Does anyone have any alternative recs for good, in-depth arts & entertainment writing and essaywork that's regularly updating? It doesn't need to be high-falutin' / should ideally be less staid than the TLS, but I'd like it to be interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly if anyone has the right to be called Queen it's her and not Charles lovely mistress.

Camilla is who Charles wanted to marry in the first place. They'd been romantically involved in the early 70s during one of the several hiatuses in her relationship with Andrew Parker-Bowles - they actually met because Parker-Bowles started dating Princess Anne, which should give you some idea how incestuous the noble class is - but then he got deployed overseas and she broke it off to marry her ex. It's part of why Tom Parker-Bowles is such a prick; he knows he fell one step short of being a prince.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While it is true that he picked her first, he then married Diana, who he cheated on and then sent to Gehenna in Paris. If Camilla wasn't a horrible person I wouldn't mind, but it's already bad enough to call Bigears "my" king. I am absolutely not calling Camilla anything other than the king's wife.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

It's part of why Tom Parker-Bowles is such a prick; he knows he fell one step short of being a prince.
tbf being a prince doesn't seem to stop that one.

grobbo posted:

I just read a critical Guardian review of the new season of Sex Education
Ah, a gender critical review.
:negative:

I don't have any specific recs other than I've heard good things about The Conversation's coverage wrt not being TERFs, but gently caress me leave it to the Guardian to make "I wish this show was as transphobic as I am" a line.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
That's the story that there palace is promoting- that Charles was in love but married Diana for duty... but he had at least two mistresses on the go, Camilla is just the one that lived - Kanga Tyron died of septicemia in 1997 and had been memory holed.

Both of them have sons called Charles that the adulterer is God-father to.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Privy Councillor to the Royal Sausage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dear Founts of All Knowledge ITT:

Any recommendations for a water-pipe-in-wall-detector under about £40? (It's ok if it does other detecting stuff too but we need it to do that!)

We sealed a leak in a cold water pipe in the corridor ceiling a couple of weeks ago and now there is 'fluffy stuff' - bubbly plaster and a clear water mark (not mould) - on some of the walls downstream of that pipe - on the wall outside & inside my flat :( - so I suspect that by fixing that leak, water is now finding another way out but everything is sealed in so would like to know if there are any pipes behind some of the corridor walls before getting a guy or guyess to drill holes randomly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, a gender critical review.
:negative:

I don't have any specific recs other than I've heard good things about The Conversation's coverage wrt not being TERFs, but gently caress me leave it to the Guardian to make "I wish this show was as transphobic as I am" a line.

I was gonna make a point that maybe they meant the debate within the trans community that if society was more accepting of trans people, maybe some might not feel the need to make changes to their body to "conform" to societies ideas of what a man or women has to be.

But then I remembered it's the guardian...