Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the guy who coined "stroad" claims that there is a difference between a street and a road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the guy who coined "stroad" claims that there is a difference between a street and a road

is he saying a street has intersections and a road does not?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are there not?

anyway i believe the purpose was to come up with a useful term for discussion about lovely urban roads vs non-lovely urban roads, not to be strictly accurate. see also: junk food

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my understanding is strictly speaking a road is just a general term that includes street, avenue, boulevard, drive, way, etc so yeah the strong towns people misused it but there isn't really a good way to split lovely street/avenues from non-lovely ones using existing terms

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

house is a machine for living

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cold on a Cob posted:

my understanding is strictly speaking a road is just a general term that includes street, avenue, boulevard, drive, way, etc so yeah the strong towns people misused it but there isn't really a good way to split lovely street/avenues from non-lovely ones using existing terms

I think the guy who coined it says that streets have business that open directly onto them, not into a parking lot or something else, think like in a downtown environment. they mix pedestrians, traffic, and businesses into a “common” space.

roads are purely for automotive transportation, mostly just expanding the network, linking to neighborhoods (suburbs) and other towns or cities.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

road(compare to the English verb ride) is Germanic and street is Latin with a connotation for paved. it literally means paved way

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The strong towns guy is a crypto libertarian who thinks we'd have perfect cities if not for big government interference, i wouldnt put too much stock in what his dumb made up nonsense is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

The strong towns guy is a crypto libertarian who thinks we'd have perfect cities if not for big government interference, i wouldnt put too much stock in what his dumb made up nonsense is

yeah what he calls a "road" is a limited or controlled access freeway/highway

dude's an urban planner and engineer he absolutely knows better than this (roadway is an extremely generic term in this field) but pushes his idiot nonsense anyway

anyway the industry term is "complete streets" which is used to mean a roadway with sidewalks and bike lanes that accommodates multiple transportation modes beyond just the car, so he fucks up both parts of his dumbass term too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

roadway is an interesting term. it’s completely redundant

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

really though we should universally ban right turns on red.

quoting for the new page. right on red has been responsible for the lion's share of my "gently caress I almost just died" moments on foot, drivers in america are simply too lovely to handle it

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Left on red is a very rare exception here, for good reason. Right on red and 4 way stops no roundabouts is indicative of the United States' piss poor approach to infrastructure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you are walking try and make eye contact with the driver in the right hand lane . that’s what I do

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't trust americans with access to roundabouts

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

They'd implement them and soon after put stop signs in because they couldn't handle them. I ignored the stop signs, no one else did it was sweet.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i used to think this but it's actually fine and much better than the alternative

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

they’re definitely better than T-intersections and arguably better than 4-way stops (because Americans can’t share and so cannot navigate them properly) but the number of times I’ve been going 3/4 the way around a roundabout and the person halfway across from me decides to just say “gently caress it” and attempt to merge their vehicle’s matter with my own is far too high.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Roundabouts are better on paper, but American's can't handle them at all. Everywhere I've seen them introduced they end up putting stoplights and stop-signs on them and even then there are constant accidents and people slamming into the center island

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maybe the people where i live have been vaccinated against round abouts by jug handles

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we have a bunch in cities near me and they're fine. no stoplights at them, haven't seen any accidents myself yet, haven't gotten run off the road yet either :shrug:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have a friend who is a civil engineer working for the small town he lives in and he loves putting roundabouts everywhere because they work and also piss off the locals so it's a win/win.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

roundabouts are cool because they dedicate even more land area to gods own favored creature, the automobile. why have a 4-way stop when we can pave 4x the area for the same effect but with the added bonus of completely blocking all intersecting roads when one exit gets backed up

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothus posted:

Roundabouts are better on paper, but American's can't handle them at all. Everywhere I've seen them introduced they end up putting stoplights and stop-signs on them and even then there are constant accidents and people slamming into the center island

this is regional they work fine in the PNW.

in Florida the old folks cause serious accidents at them and slam straight into the center island.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jenny Agutter posted:

roundabouts are cool because they dedicate even more land area to gods own favored creature, the automobile. why have a 4-way stop when we can pave 4x the area for the same effect but with the added bonus of completely blocking all intersecting roads when one exit gets backed up

True. It does take more land to build a roundabout, but the data shows that traffic flows quicker compared to a intersection with stop signs/traffic lights. And from what I've seen locally, they tend to get built around areas that have little to no foot traffic because crossing one on foot sounds incredibly dangerous if not impossible.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

this is stupid logic. i'm sure the cut in emissions from interrupted flow in a four-way outstrips the harm of extra land dedication

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

poemdexter posted:

I have a friend who is a civil engineer working for the small town he lives in and he loves putting roundabouts everywhere because they work and also piss off the locals so it's a win/win.

Someone give this person a raise

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i say swears online posted:

this is stupid logic. i'm sure the cut in emissions from interrupted flow in a four-way outstrips the harm of extra land dedication

this is a real argument used in favor of freeway expansion

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

poemdexter posted:

True. It does take more land to build a roundabout, but the data shows that traffic flows quicker compared to a intersection with stop signs/traffic lights. And from what I've seen locally, they tend to get built around areas that have little to no foot traffic because crossing one on foot sounds incredibly dangerous if not impossible.

Behold this roundabout with bus stops between the two traffic lanes

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ruZFV4A7DxwCjr3z9?g_st=im

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

relative to the size of roundabouts here that’s massive. ours are maybe a quarter of the size. (yes this does mean it looks like cars are constantly about to roll over with how fast some people take them.)

e:

it’s barely bigger than the T intersection that used to exist before they built the neighborhood up top, and it’s basically the same size as the 4-way that would exist there.

Red Baron has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Sep 21, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Red Baron posted:

relative to the size of roundabouts here that’s massive. ours are maybe a quarter of the size. (yes this does mean it looks like cars are constantly about to roll over with how fast some people take them.)

e:

it’s barely bigger than the T intersection that used to exist before they built the neighborhood up top, and it’s basically the same size as the 4-way that would exist there.

It actually functions pretty well, too. I’m not aware of any pedestrians hit there despite the relatively heavy foot traffic. Just found it amusing based on the previous comment

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Roundabouts are great but those double roundabouts are un-navigable bastards

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HashtagGirlboss posted:

another great example of American urban planning

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

another great example of American urban planning

it took me 90 minutes to go five miles on the bus yesterday. it was packed solid because the previous three were cancelled. our public transportation is so bad that i can't take it anymore and applied for a parking permit today. lasted six months but it's time. it's a 12 minute drive

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

in Florida the old folks cause serious accidents at them and slam straight into the center island.

feature, not bug

better than them plowing through an intersection

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reimagining pushing san francisco into the pacific

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i say swears online posted:

reimagining pushing san francisco into the pacific

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Joan of Arc wasn't built for traffic control.. It's a city beautiful-style monument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

seems just cosmetic to me? :confused: