Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

skooma512 posted:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
need to read that book again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Oldest Man posted:

The preferences of the electorate at large have literally nothing to do with the policies adopted by the united states government

Just because research had shown this to be unequivocally true is no reason not to vote!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mdemone posted:

if Antarctic sea ice melting rates approach seasonal standards or are even a little below, there will be no Antarctican sea ice left by New Years Day 2024

great, that'll cool the oceans down. problem solved.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Those penguins should learn how to code

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

Those penguins should learn how to code

insert linux joke here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

It’s winter, it’s supposed to be hot. wait…

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s winter, it’s supposed to be hot. wait…

Anybody who lives in the US or Europe can tell you that more south means more hot. Those places are very south, so of course they're very hot.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Just because research had shown this to be unequivocally true is no reason not to vote!

i don't even think it would matter since the us electorate has been so brain-wormed by industry propaganda that people literally think recycling their loving plastic or buying a brand new car with a thousand pounds of lithium in it is going to fight climate change, but just in case The Great Climate Awakening happens and everybody is on the same page that we need to sink all the cruise ships, halt all airline travel, crush every car into a 12 inch wide cube, and enforce a policy of gunpoint degrowth on industry, none of that poo poo is ever going to happen any more than any of the other things there's broad popular consensus about is ever going to happen by vote

one ancient supreme court justice deciding she wanted a high score on her personal wikipedia page had more influence on the trajectory of american policy than the next 300,000,000 people behind her voting for whatever they wanted

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Time to rename Chile to Wharme

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eason the Fifth posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Complications posted:

Anybody who lives in the US or Europe can tell you that more south means more hot. Those places are very south, so of course they're very hot.

There we go. That’s the ticket!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.propublica.org/article/chlorpyrifos-ban-epa-official-kovner-pesticide

quote:

[United States representative on the Stockholm convention, and EPA member]Kovner was also in close contact with a powerful chemical industry trade group about the other compound, UV-328, which prevents plastic from deteriorating in sunlight. In order to be restricted under the Stockholm Convention, a pollutant must be shown to travel long distances. UV-328 was the first chemical that the convention decided met that criteria because it is transported by plastic debris that accumulates in bodies of water around the globe and in the migratory birds that eat it.

In April 2019, a representative from the American Chemistry Council, a trade group for chemical manufacturers, emailed Kovner to alert her of the proposal to consider limits on UV-328 under the Stockholm Convention based on its presence in microplastics, or pieces of plastic debris about the size of a sesame seed that accumulate in the environment and contain multiple chemicals.

“Wow — that’s quite a precedent. Holy moly,” she responded in an email, as the Greenpeace publication Unearthed has reported.

The chemical trade group representative wrote that they had seen several presentations about “getting microplastics into Stockholm.”

“Welcome to our future,” Kovner responded.

:cry:

read this article if you want to rip your face off in frustration.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

5C is going to be badass

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We just got to 1.5C

lmao agriculture is going to be impossible in 10 years

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

need to read that book again

that book was far too optimistic

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

skooma512 posted:

We just got to 1.5C

lmao agriculture is going to be impossible in 10 years

My mouth isn't filled with ash, it's victory corn

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*futilely gnawing on a tiny cob*

"There's no shareholder value in this"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Eason the Fifth posted:

[Bad News Biosphere] Time to rename Chile to Wharme

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
1.5 degrees, pfft, that's nothing

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

only 0.02617994 radians

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

That’s 274.65 Kelvins!!!!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

green line extrapolated by just copying the previous year's curve down to match

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

1glitch0 posted:

that's too hot imo

skill issue

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
if it gets too hot to support human life they can just sell their house and move

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im still optimistic that it won't impact me that badly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, it's been okay here so far, will probably stay that way. I mean it's flooded twice in the last 15 years but everything went back to normal each time, I don't see why we can't just keep doing that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
if it’s hot outside just go inside.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hubbert posted:

500 degrees of summer

C-SPAM › [Bad News Biosphere] 500 degrees of summer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

if it gets too hot to support human life they can just sell their house and move

[chops a hole in wall and pokes my head through] sell it to WHO?! the HUMAN TORCH?!?!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got on anti anxiety medication for the first time in my adult life yesterday and hollllllly poo poo bring on the collapse babyyyyyyy!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

I got on anti anxiety medication for the first time in my adult life yesterday and hollllllly poo poo bring on the collapse babyyyyyyy!

hell yeah brother if we have to deal with this late capitalist apocalypse at least give me the soma.

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

New Hansen paper is out http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/UhOh.14August2023.pdf

quote:

A new climate frontier. The leap of global temperature in the past two months is no ordinary fluctuation. It is fueled by the present extraordinarily large Earth’s energy imbalance (EEI). EEI is the proximate cause of global warming. The large imbalance suggests that each month for the rest of the year may be a new record for that month. We are entering a new climate frontier. When the first author gave a TED talk 10 years ago, EEI was about 0.6 W/m2, averaged over six years (that may not sound like much, but it equals the energy in 400,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs per day, every day). Now EEI has approximately doubled. Most of that energy is going into the ocean. If Southern Hemisphere sea ice cover remains low, much of that excess energy will be poured into the Southern Ocean, which is one of the last places we would want it to go.

quote:

Political leaders at the United Nations COP (Conference of the Parties) meetings give the impression that progress is being made and it is still feasible to limit global warming to as little as 1.5°C. That is pure, unadulterated, hogwash, as exposed by minimal understanding of Fig. 6 here and Fig. 27 in reference 6

Obligatory cope

quote:

That does not mean that the problem is unsolvable. It is possible to restore Earth’s energy balance. Perhaps, if the public finds the taste of the new climate frontier to be sufficiently disagreeable, we can begin to consider the actions needed to restore a propitious climate.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

:coffeepal:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

TehSaurus posted:

hell yeah brother if we have to deal with this late capitalist apocalypse at least give me the soma.

You’ll get Soylent Green, except it’s Cyanobacteria and therefore death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkyouPOrD4

Watching hope drain from Dave’s face over the years has been something. I think an anime villain monologue may be round the corner.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kal posted:

Obligatory cope

quote:

That does not mean that the problem is unsolvable. It is possible to restore Earth’s energy balance. Perhaps, if the public finds the taste of the new climate frontier to be sufficiently disagreeable, we can begin to consider the actions needed to restore a propitious climate.

yep, if we stop using all of our current energy sources tomorrow maybe in a few thousand years the earth will return to a temperature that can support a climate humans would be able to survive in comfortably

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

with enough glue, you can restore just about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I live in the US, as I assume most of us do, and if it was 117 degrees in January I'd assume the world was ending. WTF is going on in South America.