Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I learned from one of Louise Sugden's videos that the GW mini photography team always photographs the models from an angle where the amount of visible base-top is equal to the height of the base.

Now I can't unsee it in every Games Workshop model.

ALSO, definitely going to steal that for my own mini photography, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
finished my Neurotyrant! what do you guys think?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

This is awesome, I love how goopy the base looks. The blend on the tentacles kicks rear end too!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I learned from one of Louise Sugden's videos that the GW mini photography team always photographs the models from an angle where the amount of visible base-top is equal to the height of the base.

Now I can't unsee it in every Games Workshop model.

ALSO, definitely going to steal that for my own mini photography, for what it's worth.

Yeah it works for most box art photography but some models look better if you don't abide by that rule. Also the GW store site allows for 360 degree rotational viewing of most of their models and provides the ability to tilt the model. You can sometimes even get complete overhead photographs of most of the newer releases.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

It's great. All Tyranids should be so brightly colored.

I'm looking for

1) a good place to order custom transfer decals

2) somewhere I can get cowboy hats, sombreros, raccoon-skin caps and the like that fit on Primaris helmets

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have recommendations for a little smoke/fog machine for photography?

Happy to DIY if need be. Not a vape owner, but I feel like I've seen a few solutions that go in that direction so it can be ultra portable.

Bonus if I can eventually plop it inside a tank for smoke effects

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

w00tmonger posted:

Happy to DIY if need be. Not a vape owner, but I feel like I've seen a few solutions that go in that direction so it can be ultra portable.

Chunks of dry ice inside a container of water?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

I had a mini one I got from Amazon, and it worked pretty well. I didn't use it for photography, but I imagine it'd do the trick.

Fog Machine

It wasn't this one, exactly, but pretty close. Used vegetable glycerin for the fog.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Al-Saqr posted:

Very cool! Getting a whole lot of Terror from the Deep vibes from it!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
These lads were on the frame at lunchtime. Picture isn't great but I'm pleased with them and the method. I realized the thing to do with the contract paint on the shoulders is just dab it on with a large brush, a tank brush actually in the end, it's quicker just fixing the trim after. Likewise I realised I can just leave the shade wash to the end, making it easier to fix mistakes from details getting on the white armour.

Might pin wash some Agrax Earthshade or something into the joins, need to look again later.

This all would have been even quicker if my Wrath Bone spray didn't give up and I needed to finish the casecoat by hand. Are there any good alternatives to Wrathbone out there? I used Army Painter Skeleton spray and it's pretty different, might be a little green! My main issue is how lumpy the pot Wrathbone is now, and I know GW whites historically aren't good. Quite like the spray though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am also painting a Neurotyrant today, here is my mostly done work in progress. The picture makes the chiton highlights seem much more vivid than they are in person.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am also painting a Neurotyrant today, here is my mostly done work in progress. The picture makes the chiton highlights seem much more vivid than they are in person.

Lovely goo effect there, and I really like how you did the bone/chitin. Is it done with the Vallejo range (I see one of the bottles out there)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks! I actually use Vallejo range mostly for historicals, that one in the back is Dunklegelb I think. For the Tyranid I used contrast paint for the first layer of chiton, Skeleton horde and Dark Angels for the tan and dark green. I did two coats of Skeleton Horde and some areas got a second coat of DA. Then for the chiton effect on the Skeleton I used Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull and the Dark Angels Green had Kabalite and then Sybarite Green applied. The goo was Striking Scorpion Green applied to the web type material and then a heavy application of Nurgle's Rot. Sometimes, but not in this case, I make a little concoction of some acrylic water effect and mix in the Nurgles Rot if I need it to have more body or make a larger pool.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Revisiting my Space Wolves colors. I was going for retro but they were a bit too light before. So I went all the way and ordered the original color equivalents from Coat D’Arms. Need to smooth the transition between the edge highlights and the base color a little more in places but the colors are true and I am very happy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm looking for

1) a good place to order custom transfer decals

Bedlam Creations.
A little pricey, but top quality. ~$50 for a legal sized sheet for my custom knight house. The guy was cool and helped me optimize my images. Final results were great and I still have enough decals for a over a dozen knights, plus tons of small details.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Did a test scheme for a raven guard this evening, and while I think it looks alright, I just don't think I have it in me to paint an entire army of predominantly black models

Also seeing so many sloppy lines on camera that I just don't see in person- probably due to staring at it for hours today

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up that model I spilled glue on

I also took a nicer pic of my wolf quad

My wife got me a goliath truck and a Ridgerunner and then I managed to nab a and army in a box and a saboteur and I guess I'm all in on this cult

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

If anyone needs some modern minis, Anvil Industry just announced that they're going to be doing a Payday-themed set on Kickstarter

Looks like it's just for STLs, but wouldn't be surprised if they release physical models in their store like they do for the Digital Forge sets.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cthulu Carl posted:

If anyone needs some modern minis, Anvil Industry just announced that they're going to be doing a Payday-themed set on Kickstarter

Looks like it's just for STLs, but wouldn't be surprised if they release physical models in their store like they do for the Digital Forge sets.

They just added the Stalker and Mandolorian sets on an on demand basis, so I'd be hopeful. (I also really want a print of their pickup truck)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Muir posted:

Revisiting my Space Wolves colors. I was going for retro but they were a bit too light before. So I went all the way and ordered the original color equivalents from Coat D’Arms. Need to smooth the transition between the edge highlights and the base color a little more in places but the colors are true and I am very happy.

I like it.

Bucnasti posted:

Bedlam Creations.
A little pricey, but top quality. ~$50 for a legal sized sheet for my custom knight house. The guy was cool and helped me optimize my images. Final results were great and I still have enough decals for a over a dozen knights, plus tons of small details.

I like it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Spent a fair bit of time on this, wish you didn't have to choose between the winged helmet and his halo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cross posting because 10mm is fun:

Southern Heel posted:

Another 48 little men done - there is a little touching up to do on these, but my goal is to get all the units on the table to play a game or two and it’s starting to become a case of diminishing returns:

These are the Glenwood and Havenfleet fusiliers, of the army of the Margrave of Cantica - details here

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Spent a fair bit of time on this, wish you didn't have to choose between the winged helmet and his halo.

That's what kitbashing is for.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nooooo! The motor on my cheapo vortex mixer died.... any recommendations?

E: I'm so sorry... no more distracted phone posting

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 22, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

w00tmonger posted:

Nooooo! E mirror on my cheapo cortex mixer died.... any recommendations?

what?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

One of your arms?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

w00tmonger posted:

... buy another one?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

One of your arms?

I mean yeah, but they're really nice for mixing certain paints for an airbrush etc.

Anything that wants to seperate when I let it sit for a while really.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Southern Heel posted:

One of your arms?

Nowhere near an adequate replacement for what a vortex mixer can do, especially on horribly separated paints, and with far less effort on the user's part

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nowhere near an adequate replacement for what a vortex mixer can do, especially on horribly separated paints, and with far less effort on the user's part

Lol however did countless generations of artists and modellers survive without their vortex mixers? It is a secret lost to time…

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

I was in your same boat Feb of last year, my cheap one died and so I looked to some of the painters I follow on IG and got their rec, bought this FOUR E'S Scientific Vortex Paint Shaker for $99, looks like it's actually down in price now so only $92.99 - $6 coupon (showing for me anyway).

Yes that's like triple the cheap one's price but damned if it doesn't feel solid as hell, shakes the paint better, I could easily see it outlasting 3+ cheap mixers and doing a better job the entire time. It's a luxury but so loving nice.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Southern Heel posted:

Lol however did countless generations of artists and modellers survive without their vortex mixers? It is a secret lost to time…

Tumble dryers

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

I was in your same boat Feb of last year, my cheap one died and so I looked to some of the painters I follow on IG and got their rec, bought this FOUR E'S Scientific Vortex Paint Shaker for $99, looks like it's actually down in price now so only $92.99 - $6 coupon (showing for me anyway).

Yes that's like triple the cheap one's price but damned if it doesn't feel solid as hell, shakes the paint better, I could easily see it outlasting 3+ cheap mixers and doing a better job the entire time. It's a luxury but so loving nice.

I have this and I love it.

\/\/ Buy once, cry once 4 lyfe

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 22, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A vortex paint mixer is a great addition to have. Tools and equipment is one area where you shouldn't scrimp. If you are going to be painting and hobbying for hours a week then you want it to be as pleasant as it can be. Good brushes, nice paint, a great wet palette, a vortex mixer are all good investments since you will use them all the time and for nearly every model.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Also going to recommend this one. It's a workhorse that I use constantly.

Southern Heel posted:

We also used to walk everywhere and it took months to cross oceans. We used to cook everything over open fires in a cave.

You can keep shaking your Corax White, I'll vortex it for 3 seconds and be painting.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 22, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, because people didn't have a techological advancement in Ye Olden Tymes, means it's completely unnecessary now, a most compelling argument

E: Is this the painting greybeard's stance these days, that "in my day we didn't bother with vortex mixers, we shook our paints until we got repetitive stress injury and by gum we liked it that way"

E2: Imagining the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch now, but for miniature painters. "I used to 'ave to pick 'airs off the badgers meself wi' tweezers, carve the wood for me own paintbrush 'andles, hammer out the tiny bits of metal for me own ferrules, and go source me own glue to put 'em together, AND pay GW for the privilege of doing all that before I could crack open me first bottle of Nuln Oil of a morning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1mGoLDRbc

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 22, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love when goons talk like shaking a pot of separated modeling acrylic paint without a vortex mixer is as dangerous as throwing chain on an oil rig.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

This looks perfect. In Canada and didn't think to check the .com site.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

AndyElusive posted:

I love when goons talk like shaking a pot of separated modeling acrylic paint without a vortex mixer is as dangerous as throwing chain on an oil rig.

I love when goons act like a vortex mixer is a frivolous luxury reserved for only the laziest of painters, instead of a relatively cheap and useful tool that simplifies a task that's frankly sheer drudgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya but if the motor on yours breaks, the alternative isn't going to cause you to collapse. You're shaking a 12 ml pot of paint for 10 seconds, not a 13lb 4L metal can of house paint.