Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm ready to see Rene reformed by the strength of Mud's goofy heart of gold.

I was gonna make fun of the art yesterday and I'm glad I waited because peeeeee yew! Lmfao at trying to cover some of that lazy poo poo with the dialogue and narration box. Jules, if you don't want to be here then by all means...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

:smith:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Just reminded me of something - I'm a big dude (6', 250), and a couple years back somebody bought an outboard motor at a garage sale my grandmother had set up. I see some dude bought it, I know its heavy as gently caress (I had trouble moving it out from her garage out into the yard), so I start making my way over to help get it into their car. My (female) cousin, who had just graduated from college, was closer, and as she walks up, the guy who bought it points at me and goes "Hey, that's heavy, wait for him". She gives him a a glare that can best be described as 'you loving rear end in a top hat', hoists it up by herself, and walks it across the property into back of that dude's van.

I still laugh my rear end off remembering the look on her face.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 11-13, 1924; timg'd because we're still talking about the "Senor", but at least they're not doing the voices anymore)

Toonerville Folks (October 17-19, 1921; spoiler for The Usual Reasons)

Dok's "Hold Up, Where'd This Guy Come From All Of The Sudden?" Duck (December 4, 1914, and yes, I double checked the date)

Little Lefty (March 2 and 4, 1939; no strip in the 3rd)

So yeah, the Dies Committee , the 1938 version of the now-infamous House Un-American Activities Committee, as led by conservative Texas Democrat Rep. Martin Dies Jr. The stated goal of the reconstituted HUAC was (per Wikipedia) "to investigate alleged disloyalty and subversive activities on the part of private citizens, public employees, and those organizations suspected of having communist or fascist ties", but really, especially in the pre-war years Dies was all about Commie hunting.

In '39, the "highlight" of the Dies Committee for CUSA members would've been when committee member Joe Starnes (D-Ala.) asked Federal Theater Project head Hallie Flanagan if Christopher Marlowe was a member of the Communist Party...which, seeing as how Marlowe died in 1593, would've been a hell of a get for the US Reds. But from our vantage point, that's joined by another thing they did and another thing they refused to do. First, the war-era "Yellow Report", where the committee came out in favor of Japanese internment camps by arguing (among other things) that Buddhism was a cultural trait that signaled Japanese espionage. And then there was their 1946 decision to not investigate the Klu Klux Klan, which committee member John E. Rankin (D-Miss.) infamously shrugged off by saying, "After all, the KKK is an old American institution."

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 21, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
as someone who never got the love for BCN but hated to be a thread pooper:

lol.

lmao.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

readingatwork posted:

Can you just retake your class picture another day or submit your own after the fact? I don't have kids but I feel like this is a thing that happens.

Retake days totally exist! I found out because I, uh, wore a silly costume mustache that day and was forced to retake mine.

ukonvasara posted:

Glad they eventually told us what was supposed to be happening, because the art was sure doing a terrible job of showing it.

seriously, man. It's such a cartoony art style that they could have done like a wavy :S mouth or big puffy :3 lips or even a recessed :x but, no, it just looks like he's making Big Nate expressions

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

]

Please tell me she's gonna go Eva-01 on this thing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How about a little Mary Worth: 1999

I both agree with this guy and think he's a dick.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

thisusedyet posted:

Just reminded me of something - I'm a big dude (6', 250), and a couple years back somebody bought an outboard motor at a garage sale my grandmother had set up. I see some dude bought it, I know its heavy as gently caress (I had trouble moving it out from her garage out into the yard), so I start making my way over to help get it into their car. My (female) cousin, who had just graduated from college, was closer, and as she walks up, the guy who bought it points at me and goes "Hey, that's heavy, wait for him". She gives him a a glare that can best be described as 'you loving rear end in a top hat', hoists it up by herself, and walks it across the property into back of that dude's van.

I still laugh my rear end off remembering the look on her face.

Also, as Terry Pratchett wrote, there have been entire agricultural economies that were based on the lifting power of little old ladies.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8vznqAL34

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

How about a little Mary Worth: 1999

I both agree with this guy and think he's a dick.

Grace puffs up her hair mid-conversation, as a threat display.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jun 14-15, 1969)

Big Nate

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That 4th panel is distressing. If you remove the text box at the bottom of the panel, it becomes way more obvious how Cherry's arm and shoulder have to have hosed up proportions and angles for her hand to be in that position. :psyduck:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 18, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 17, 1959)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, that sure is a poo poo eating grin from Val :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I hope this ends up with the con technique actually working and redeeming the bad guy as well. And that when the cops finally show up the three of them are just there calmly eating together. Maybe he can use the royalties to buy/build himself a treehouse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he finally convinces him to close his eyes and then breaks his nose with a meaty fist.

Followed by some whooping and then a polite apology. Be a full man of contrasts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Knowing what we do about Lynn, the kid apologizing in tears for her grave mistake of doing something without consulting the mom sure hits differently.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dunkin' on Sputter

Pluggers

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo it's going to work on him isn't it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

Dunkin' on Sputter

Pluggers

About 35 years ago my parents did this but that was also because we didn't have cell phones.

I am not a drat plugger for lack of a cell phone in the 90s.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

About 35 years ago my parents did this but that was also because we didn't have cell phones.

I am not a drat plugger for lack of a cell phone in the 90s.

Totally. And long-distance isn't really a thing unless you're calling outside the US. Remember having to pick a long-distance carrier?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Back in the late 90s our system was, if I called collect using my family nickname I was fine I just needed to be picked up from school after practice or a meet; if I called using my given name, accept the charges.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Huxley posted:

Back in the late 90s our system was, if I called collect using my family nickname I was fine I just needed to be picked up from school after practice or a meet; if I called using my given name, accept the charges.

I’m pretty sure everyone had a name similar to “Firstname Comepickmeup” back then.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
First initial, and phone number of the pay phone.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It occurs to me while enjoying another Sputter strip immensely that the art of slapstick seems to be lost in a lot of these newer strips that go sour. Abner and Scarlet had it too. Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Peanuts. There's just something about a well drawn bit of action that catches the eye and it's definitely rarer these days.

At least thread favorite Wallace the Brave certainly knows how to do it.

quote:

30 year old pay phone collect call talk

I'm not a plugger

I have some bad news.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

It occurs to me while enjoying another Sputter strip immensely that the art of slapstick seems to be lost in a lot of these newer strips that go sour. Abner and Scarlet had it too. Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Peanuts. There's just something about a well drawn bit of action that catches the eye and it's definitely rarer these days.

I have some bad news.

Yeah it really could be simplified….

If you have ever called collect… you da plugger!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comic Strips 2023: A warriro's business is to make widows, not husbands!

amigolupus posted:

Knowing what we do about Lynn, the kid apologizing in tears for her grave mistake of doing something without consulting the mom sure hits differently.

All that aside, "you look like I did at your age!" is a solid punchline than I was expecting.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

It doesn't help that we keep getting (or, let's face it, posting) newer gag strips working from (or feeling like they work from) a folder of "art assets" that gives everything a "line 'em up in panel like an SNL cold open/Family Guy anything" sameyness. Streamlining your workflow is no sin in itself as long as the results don't give the game away, but it makes me wonder how many of these artists could benefit from spending a weekend with one of Preston Blair's animation books.

Doomykins posted:

Popeye, punch that man!

Good enough excuse to lead with Thimble Theater, where Popeye punch that man. (April 25, 1940)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 27, 1935)

Peanuts (September 23, 1976)

Crankshaft

So Ed got to know the new old lady personally, which makes torturing her with his noncompliance every day that much more fulfilling?

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 23-25, 1934)

We finally get both sides of Olive & Popeye today.

Out Our Way (November 12-14, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

#WWG1WGA

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

I like how the colorist didn't seem to get that Snert's other paw is holding Hagar by the Achilles tendon so it looks like Hagar suddenly gained a weird bump in the last panel. :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Yeah, but why is your hair like that?

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh no my bag of dildos!

The Phantom

The gently caress you home for?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Zereth posted:

Holy poo poo it's going to work on him isn't it.
Looks like, yeah.

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Please, please: I'm just plain Yogurt.