Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Carth Dookie posted:

11nm for the logitech but I have it dialled back to about 6 at the moment (shoulder injury and noodle arms).

What pedals do you use?

I find I'm gripping the wheel tighter (probably unconsciously) to try to get leverage when hammering on the brakes.

Again; very early days but I don't necessarily think its one or the other, but a combination of both that might be getting things close. We'll see.

I have the fanatec csl lc pedals. So presumably not as heavy as yours as well. Though I think they max out at 60 kg so not far from the 65 kg of yours. I never found myself gripping the wheel very hard, in fact my grip is quite light. But that could just stem from me always being very careful with my things even as a kid as opposed to attempting to emulate good driving posture etc.
But if you are running the logitech at around 6nm then the stand should have absolutely no trouble handling it.
Do you have the pedal plate angled? Doesn't seem like it from the photo at least. Since I imagine that could maybe cause some flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Sounds to me like the issue is probably that the seat is not secure enough rather than the stand being the issue. Pulling on the wheel is something I sometimes catch myself doing rather than pushing back into the seat.

Not sure what setup you have but it looks like an office chair, do you have locking casters? Might be better to look at getting something that can securely attach the chair to the stand (attach/detach if necessary).

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed with fellblade, and as an alternate to locking castors I used to have a length of 550 cord tied to one part of the stand I could wrap around my chairs main column and then clip to the other side of the stand to lock it in place.

Gripping the wheel to get leverage on your brakes could hurt the wheelbase long term so getting a solid enough setup to avoid it would be good. Hard to get all the flex out of an office chair though.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Fellblade posted:

Might be better to look at getting something that can securely attach the chair to the stand (attach/detach if necessary).

I have the same wheel stand. It comes with a tray where you put the front wheels of the chair to keep it from rolling away.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
god i hate sebring, i can't learn this track to save my life bro

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

It's all cones!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And bumps!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I have the same wheel stand. It comes with a tray where you put the front wheels of the chair to keep it from rolling away.

That doesn't scream "secure" to me, there must be a risk of just popping it out under braking?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sunk Dunk posted:

Sebring is a perfect encapsulation of Florida generally. It’s hot, it doesn’t make sense, and it’s constantly trying to trick you into making a mistake.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Vando posted:

That doesn't scream "secure" to me, there must be a risk of just popping it out under braking?

The lip of that tray is quite high and captures the wheels pretty well. I'd have to be braking so hard it tilted the chair back quite a lot and lifted the wheels out. No matter how hard I've braked so far I haven't felt the wheels lift so that part seems reasonably secure.

It's more secure than just locking the wheels like I'd done previously.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 21, 2023

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Sunk Dunk posted:

Bumps: disrespected

Edit: here's the setup I built for my fanatec LC pedals before I got my aluminum rig:

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Agreed with fellblade, and as an alternate to locking castors I used to have a length of 550 cord tied to one part of the stand I could wrap around my chairs main column and then clip to the other side of the stand to lock it in place.

Gripping the wheel to get leverage on your brakes could hurt the wheelbase long term so getting a solid enough setup to avoid it would be good. Hard to get all the flex out of an office chair though.

Carth Dookie posted:

The lip of that tray is quite high and captures the wheels pretty well. I'd have to be braking so hard it tilted the chair back quite a lot and lifted the wheels out. No matter how hard I've braked so far I haven't felt the wheels lift so that part seems reasonably secure.

It's more secure than just locking the wheels like I'd done previously.

As another idea if you or someone you know has a 3d printer you can print wheel chocks that fit most office chairs. Definitely worked great when I first got my setup but quickly upgraded to a racing cockpit seat cause I couldn't figure out an easy way to lock the chair from swiveling, I contemplated bungee cords :cool:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4548817
https://www.printables.com/model/341668-wheel-chock

Bunch of different models depending on your type of chair but I think they are helpful to give that extra bit of stability. I was trying to find the ones I used that were for carpet so they had little ridges to help keep them in place.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4665168 for carpet, not the one I used but close enough.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 21, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those photos, I can't believe I share a thread with these sickos

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i used to use an unsecured office chair, which seems insane in retrospect

now i just use a folding camping chair like a real racer

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

Those photos, I can't believe I share a thread with these sickos

I mean these days I have a simlab rig with triples, degeneracy runs deep now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No rig shaming

I started here

Which mutated into this

And eventually this, which I ran this way for like 3 years

And now this, my first “real” rig setup that I didn’t build out of wood

Everyone is on their own rig journey namaste 🙏

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Those are dope

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That wooden rig owns, op

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Started from the bottom:

Now we here:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
:allears: loving all of the rig pics, I'm still just rocking a wheelstand & office chair. Lots of inspiration though.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
here's my rig, but i've been thinking about downgrading because i honestly just don't race that much. green glow is essential so i can capture the fever for the flava

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Solution: race more

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Vando posted:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Vando posted:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Vando posted:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vando posted:

:emptyquote:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sunk Dunk posted:

here's my rig, but i've been thinking about downgrading because i honestly just don't race that much. green glow is essential so i can capture the fever for the flava

I've been meaning to ask instead of googling it: what are the strips between monitors that sorta meld the view together? Some sort of witchcraft?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sunk Dunk posted:

IM THE ASSMAN

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Squiggle posted:

I've been meaning to ask instead of googling it: what are the strips between monitors that sorta meld the view together? Some sort of witchcraft?

they're called "bezel free" kits, it's just like a strip of plastic that refract the light from behind across them so it looks like there's no bezel. they're neat. you can DIY them from a dead TV/monitor if you cut it apart the fresnel layer.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i actually ended up taking the bezel free kit off for 2 reasons. 1 - i scratched them like a dingus. 2 - the motion looked a little weird to me.

separately - who has the highest irating here? show yourself as the something awful driving god. i suck

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

separately - who has the highest irating here?

You'd love this thing called p-link

e: I take it back apparently they are innocent

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 22, 2023

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
That was some other discord iirc, not plink, despite their faults they were not the 'irating in username is required' ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fellblade posted:

That was some other discord iirc, not plink, despite their faults they were not the 'irating in username is required' ones.

drat my bad. To repent I'll post my sim rig since we're all sharing. This is a bit old and I've moved to a CSL DD (and a Ubiquity router) but hopefully shows some people looking at getting a rig how you can kinda cheat it under your desk some in a lot of cases.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 22, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you driving in VR, or turning that monitor on the right all the way around?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you driving in VR, or turning that monitor on the right all the way around?

Yeah both, I use VR for iRacing but if I need to play a monitor game that right monitor can swivel and extend to right behind the wheel.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Getting in on the sim rig posting. I have a r3volution, which tries to be a desk and sim rig and doesn't do either especially well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yall got some nice rigs.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So despite some absolutely cursed luck in the actual races, the Heusinkveld Sprints are gradually growing on me.

A bit more dialling in of the seating position so I felt more secure and things started to go much better. I'm absolutely certain they aren't making me go any faster, but at least now I feel somewhat confident to actually use the brakes properly. Definitely required going over every part of my stand and torquing down every bolt.

Edit: the overall setup of Direct Drive, VR, buttkicker is all starting to come together. It feels pretty good to use. Nicely immersive. Kicking around in F4 in Brazil and at the Nurburgring for the Ring Meister series was quite fun. OpenXR has been an eye opener as well. My setup and iRacing has basically been as effortless as its ever been to actually just pick up and race without having to fight or configure hardware or software. So all things considered I'm pretty happy with it. For now.

Next time I get run off the road, who knows. :D

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Holy poo poo the spec racer ford is hilarious.

I can't believe I've never raced it before - it feels really good to drive. A big lazy powerful go-kart. Guess I'm at the nordschleife this week.