Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

That Little Demon posted:

Hmmm, solo sounds interesting for a challenge

Solo PoTD 200 is very hard. Starting is fun but Necromancer is the sign of a real pro.

Max out the passive weapon/armor gains, bulk farm the consumables(i.e. regen potion) for it, memorize the parameters that monster spawns and trap spawns occur on, play perfectly for hours at a time and lose it all at a single step, etc. Pulled an extra mob from 150 up? Dead. Forgot a one shot mechanic or took some extra autos? Dead. Didn't respect traps for a single step and get stunned(polymorphed) for 10+ seconds? Get over it in the grave! Not that I don't believe in you but the scale of it shouldn't be underestimated. Getting good at deep dungeons is a big investment. And that's a wonderful guide for it!

As you push into Stormblood you'll get access to Heaven on High about halfway through, providing you've cleared a reasonable bit of PoTD, floor 50 I think. They added a third dungeon in Endwalker. Clearing the first stretch of each dungeon solo or as a party gives you a taste, then party clearing to the top, then learning solo clears.

Classes aren't balanced for it and you're on a timer if you try to go to the top so you'll either need holy balls of steel or to grab an alt with more kiting and/or survival to their kit.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Doomykins posted:

Solo PoTD 200 is very hard. Starting is fun but Necromancer is the sign of a real pro.

Max out the passive weapon/armor gains, bulk farm the consumables(i.e. regen potion) for it, memorize the parameters that monster spawns and trap spawns occur on, play perfectly for hours at a time and lose it all at a single step, etc. Pulled an extra mob from 150 up? Dead. Forgot a one shot mechanic or took some extra autos? Dead. Didn't respect traps for a single step and get stunned(polymorphed) for 10+ seconds? Get over it in the grave! Not that I don't believe in you but the scale of it shouldn't be underestimated. Getting good at deep dungeons is a big investment. And that's a wonderful guide for it!

As you push into Stormblood you'll get access to Heaven on High about halfway through, providing you've cleared a reasonable bit of PoTD, floor 50 I think. They added a third dungeon in Endwalker. Clearing the first stretch of each dungeon solo or as a party gives you a taste, then party clearing to the top, then learning solo clears.

Classes aren't balanced for it and you're on a timer if you try to go to the top so you'll either need holy ball of steel or to grab an alt with more kiting and/or survival to their kit.

Interesting. Who wants to party and do 1-200 lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I enjoy the deep dungeons and kinda want to try PotD to 200 with a party, but I don't think I'll ever attempt solo because I don't trust my own reflexes. It's a fun challenge, but it is absolutely a challenge.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the deep dungeons and kinda want to try PotD to 200 with a party, but I don't think I'll ever attempt solo because I don't trust my own reflexes. It's a fun challenge, but it is absolutely a challenge.

Ok. Let’s book 10 hours this weekend. Who else?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One of the mounts you can get for 10 potsherds is currently available for 50 mogstones with the current event that'll be going until 6.5 drops.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm halfway through Alexander. It's been interesting. Lot of robots. Wish there was loot besides the little scrap pieces.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The little scrap pieces are kinda better, since you can SELECT what item you want instead of having to hope you randomly get the thing you want. Also, the extra step of exchanging the bots and bits mean most people pass on them for older raids instead of bidding, so you can often get ALL the bits and gear up pretty quickly.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Why would you slowly prog gear via normal Alexander's bittybobs and whirlycogs when you could just drop a stack of Poetics on gear that's equal to final Savage tier rewards the second you walk into Idyllshire?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Yeah. Not much points for bits and bobs unless you want em for glamour I guess.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you want them for glam you should grab a couple dudes from PF and unsync the savage modes for dyeable ones

unless it's gear from the last tier in which case gently caress you

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unless they're from the current raid, gear from raids has no use besides glams and company seals. And for glam purposes you don't want the normal raid stuff because the version from savage is dyeable. Alexander savages can be done by 1-3 people unsynced.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zurtilik posted:

I'm halfway through Alexander. It's been interesting. Lot of robots. Wish there was loot besides the little scrap pieces.

TLD just made it through there a few days ago and was similarly discouraged by the drops as well. The gear from these, at the time it dropped, was the third best gear you could get in the game period. They don't add any new gear to old raids, so you're left with gear that is not generally useful for much except glam when you go through it. You'll run into the exact same thing in the remaining expansions' normal raid series. The only one that's ever going to drop gear that is currently relevant is the current normal raid.

The old raid gear can be useful to piecemeal gear for extra classes if you're low on poetics, though.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you know whats funny, I see to get a level a day just doing frontline daily lol, which I'm doing for mogtomes. The PVP is a loving clusterfuck of a disaster with no strategy or teamwork lol, but whatever, its over quickly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah frontline is mostly just an exp/tomestone dump. Just a roulette checkbox people try to get out of the way, although there are some people that will go in semi competitively and try to herd the masses around.

Crystal Conflict is where you go if you want some structure or strategy.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah frontline is mostly just an exp/tomestone dump. Just a roulette checkbox people try to get out of the way, although there are some people that will go in semi competitively and try to herd the masses around.

Crystal Conflict is where you go if you want some structure or strategy.

I tried CC but PVP seems mostly pointless? the ranks mean nothing, the rewards for wolf marks are for uh, a few minions or glams? I guess the series maimstone matters but I'm like 3 away from the mount on that just from frontline.

Honestly, and I think I said this, the most interesting PVP I think is the DOTA 2 mode but no one plays it except on Monday's lol?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I could never get into FFXIV PVP just because of the netcode. I dunno if all MMOs are like this but the intense delay on all of your actions makes it feel really lovely.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah that's just XIV lol. XIV's netcode used to be significantly worse if you could believe it as well, if you weren't playing from Japan

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
PvP in this game is largely an afterthought and not very good because of that. When CC came out people were surprised at how decent it was.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like Frontline mostly because it is a big stupid scrum where nothing matters. CC seems like it actually expects you to know how to play your class in PvP and oof, I don't know about that.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah that's just XIV lol. XIV's netcode used to be significantly worse if you could believe it as well, if you weren't playing from Japan

It used to be better actually because I'm on the east coast and the servers used to be in Montreal :negative:

I know ping and netcode aren't the same thing but it definitely felt better back then

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Does the alliance raid for HW have a bunch of story too? Is it worthwhile for me to stop by and do it before going off to Stormblood?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Does the alliance raid for HW have a bunch of story too? Is it worthwhile for me to stop by and do it before going off to Stormblood?

The alliance raid for HW has a self-contained story about its own cast, as well as some recurring bosses from a couple of ARR capstone dungeons. It's reasonably fun but not essential to the MSQ or anything. I'd recommend doing it now just because it's mogtome season and you'll have an easier time queueing for those raids while they have special rewards (and people have been running them enough to remember the mechanics).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zurtilik posted:

everything in this game has story, though how relevant and far-reaching that story is varies.

void ark specifically is tied a bit more towards the ARR end of things, where you're concerned specifically with eorzea and its history rather than the whole planet, but it doesn't mean it's not something, and there are bits that inform future developments for sure.

my take on if you want to stop and smell the roses: try and do all the raids of an expansion alongside their respective release patches to get a sense of how things developed, but beyond raids there isn't as much that gets heavily carried forward

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I tried CC but PVP seems mostly pointless? the ranks mean nothing, the rewards for wolf marks are for uh, a few minions or glams? I guess the series maimstone matters but I'm like 3 away from the mount on that just from frontline.

Honestly, and I think I said this, the most interesting PVP I think is the DOTA 2 mode but no one plays it except on Monday's lol?

You should try monk in frontline if you haven't yet. They have a stun and a knockback ability on a short cooldown. A good monk can just sit by themselves near a lethal drop, wait for opposing players, stun, and drop them in the bucket. Saw a dude get more than a dozen kills that way. I became obsessed as a result.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You should try monk in frontline if you haven't yet. They have a stun and a knockback ability on a short cooldown. A good monk can just sit by themselves near a lethal drop, wait for opposing players, stun, and drop them in the bucket. Saw a dude get more than a dozen kills that way. I became obsessed as a result.

lmfao, yeah that sounds funny

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Rest in piss, Borderland Ruins map with the big ramps where Monks could just camp and knock your rear end off the objective platform. Bane of my life when I was trying to get the "kill X platform objectives" achievements on my alt and MOTHERFUCKER JUST LET ME UP TO TAG THE NODE FFFFUCK STOP PLAYING WELL I NEED MY CHEEVOS

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love FL because it feels like classic WoW pvp, from supporting and doing dives for a death ball vs a death ball to spontaneous small team on team scrums to picking your flavor of obnoxious vulture/1v1 spoiler to run around being a BG fiend with impunity ala Rogue, except anyone can do it if you know how or melee dps can all do it practically for free.

It takes 30+ rounds to understand the clusterfuck haze I found. FL has a definitive logic and once you know it you can at least understand why the third place idiots became dogs for first place to fight you exclusively. Or where to go and how the other team is moving so they stop surprising you from behind at points.

CC is good too but a lot more personal Good At The Game while still dependent on 4 people to not sandbag.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

I'm assuming you mean Rival Wings / Hidden Gorge; during mogtome events, games are running all the time on Aether (this time around, at least) and Primal. Outside of mogtome events, people don't queue for Hidden Gorge because there aren't other rewards being offered for it like Frontline's daily experience bonus. The PvP discord servers will set up nights to try to get people to queue for Hidden Gorge which would have limited success before data center travel, but now people can hop around to get games going as needed.

It sounds like you're on Crystal so Revival's designated days for getting Hidden Gorge going on Crystal are Monday and Friday:

1stGear posted:

I like Frontline mostly because it is a big stupid scrum where nothing matters.
This is why I like Frontline. 99% of the time I don't really want to play on an equal playing field like what CC offers, I just want to dunk on some nerds that don't know what's going on and hope I can get some achievements out of it. I do a little CC here and there and would like to push for higher ranks at some point (have gotten to Gold in two seasons so far, would like to push for a glowy Hellhound weapon at least) but :effort:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I do think the PvP glams are worth it though, there's both some really cool and really stupid stuff you can get just from daily Frontlines

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Zurtilik posted:

Not really directly but it does set up a bunch of voidsent stuff, and they come up a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Have you heard of and enjoy the old Dreamcast/GameCube game Skies of Arcadia? If so do the HW alliance raids, it's very much a story in that style.

If not, how do you feel about the phrase "sky pirates"?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The second and third raids are fun as well. I liked going through all the extra stuff (8-man and 24-man raids, trial series, and Hildebrand) before moving on to the next expansion pack when I was a sprout and can recommend it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hopeandjoy posted:

The second and third raids are fun as well. I liked going through all the extra stuff (8-man and 24-man raids, trial series, and Hildebrand) before moving on to the next expansion pack when I was a sprout and can recommend it.

this is what I'm doing, its hit and miss. Hildebrand rules, the sky pirate poo poo was pretty fun, alexander sucks and is too long lol

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

alexander's story was at best lackluster at the time as well, though the final resolution that it's a loop was serviceable enough

the point of alexander is that Metal and Rise are the third and fourth-best songs in the game, behind Under the Weight and Landslide

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Alexander Gordias sucking so bad made me quit the game until Stormblood came out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I know most people hate the goblins, but IMHO Scartoucher McExposition was the weak point of the Alex arc by far

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bye bye shithead! lol. Hope that’s the last I see of Minfilia

More thoughts on HW:

HW was best when I thought all / most of the scions were dead. The new characters were much, much better and more interesting even though some of the most interesting ones died. Krile is annoying, the alien is annoying, but whatever. Alphaniud was the least annoying he’s been yet. Y’shtola actually became somewhat interesting. The goblins are trash and I hate them even more than Lalafel. The dungeons were good to great, the trials were true spectacles and I had fun in them and the extreme ones. I think I’m near the end of the post game maybe? Overall it’s been much much much better than ARR and the zones were more interesting and varied. I’m excited to see the next expansions. Matoya rules. Also I’m actually interested in what Zodiark and the ascians really are doing, what Urianger is doing, and what the warriors of darkness are about lol, because please god let me join them instead….

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I know most people hate the goblins, but IMHO Scartoucher McExposition was the weak point of the Alex arc by far

The goblins rule.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Bye bye shithead! lol. Hope that’s the last I see of Minfilia

More thoughts on HW:

HW was best when I thought all / most of the scions were dead. The new characters were much, much better and more interesting even though some of the most interesting ones died. Krile is annoying, the alien is annoying, but whatever. Alphaniud was the least annoying he’s been yet. Y’shtola actually became somewhat interesting. The goblins are trash and I hate them even more than Lalafel. The dungeons were good to great, the trials were true spectacles and I had fun in them and the extreme ones. I think I’m near the end of the post game maybe? Overall it’s been much much much better than ARR and the zones were more interesting and varied. I’m excited to see the next expansions. Matoya rules. Also I’m actually interested in what Zodiark and the ascians really are doing, what Urianger is doing, and what the warriors of darkness are about lol, because please god let me join them instead….

You just finished patch 3.4, so yeah your next MSQ is gonna be 3.5 and the lead into Stormblood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

johnny park posted:

You just finished patch 3.4, so yeah your next MSQ is gonna be 3.5 and the lead into Stormblood

not so sure. He was talking about not knowing what Urianger's up to, which makes me think he hasn't finished with the Warriors of Darkness yet.