Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Haven't gotten the new booster yet but I've done Moderna and Pfizer in years past and felt like poo poo all night with each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Scheduled my booster in two days. Tested positive today. Welp.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has this been shared here yet?

Dumb people slow with getting vaxed.

The Article posted:

Cognitive ability, health policy, and the dynamics of COVID-19 vaccination

We examine the relationship between cognitive ability and prompt COVID-19 vaccination using individual-level data on more than 700,000 individuals in Sweden. We find a strong positive association between cognitive ability and swift vaccination, which remains even after controlling for confounding variables with a twin-design. The results suggest that the complexity of the vaccination decision may make it difficult for individuals with lower cognitive abilities to understand the benefits of vaccination. Consistent with this, we show that simplifying the vaccination decision through pre-booked vaccination appointments alleviates almost all of the inequality in vaccination behavior.

They are gonna get so much hate from the fashy antivax crowd.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 21, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Work being fuckups as normal, there is a chance I might go from a mostly solitary place to full customer facing again. No one is masking up at work but me.

Walgreens said they don't have enough covid vaccines for all the appointments. Maybe I should hit up CVS.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Work being fuckups as normal, there is a chance I might go from a mostly solitary place to full customer facing again. No one is masking up at work but me.

Walgreens said they don't have enough covid vaccines for all the appointments. Maybe I should hit up CVS.

Can’t hurt. Can also try your drs office. Public health is catering towards their clients (uninsured, immigrants, snap etc) so that’ll likely be a no go unless you’re uninsured.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At my last physical I got the TDAP because I had no recollection of ever being vaccinated for tetanus/whooping cough. I turned down the series of hep shots because I have none of the risk factors.

I'll get the COVID booster at some point, maybe when the rush eases up. My risk is probably very low.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

always be vaccinating imo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hepatitis vaccines aren’t just for people who eat rear end, they’re also for people who don’t fully trust the hygiene at salad bars

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anne Whateley posted:

Hepatitis vaccines aren’t just for people who eat rear end, they’re also for people who don’t fully trust the hygiene at salad bars

Uh, what about people who eat salads out of people's asses?

:ohdear:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

Might as well get Twinrix for hep A+B while you’re at it!

Also, just a reminder about Tdap. You need a booster about every 10 years! It’s not just about tetanus, I promise you do not want whooping cough

Last year I got the booster, a flu shot, the tdap, and I did my e and allergy shots the same day. The tech at Walmart gave no fucks. I was pretty messed up for a couple days but not as badly as I feared. My first booster was a different story and it somehow made me feel like I was tripping/going crazy. Guess that was the nanites doing their thing the first go around.

My partner's last booster totally wrecked them and they were in bed with a fever for 2 days. Mind you, they never, EVER get a fever when they are sick. I was seriously considering taking them to the hospital, it was crazy. I am a superhuman so I just attached myself to their body as a heatsink to absorb most of their heat but drat I thought their brain was going to melt. I don't even know if they will get this next round. :ohdear:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:actually: Technically, the new shots aren't boosters - they are full-fledged new vaccines.

WhiteHowler posted:

I got my updated COVID booster yesterday, and it has knocked me on my rear end like none of them have since the original vaccine series. This was my... Sixth one? They ran out of space on my vaccine card and put a sticker on the back.

Body aches, fatigue, skin sensitivity, mild headache, and weird-rear end dreams. I feel like I have a fever but don't actually have one. No telltale "actual COVID" symptoms, and I haven't been unmasked around people in the last week, so I'm sure it's the vaccine.

I'm wondering if the side-effects are bad because it's been a full year since the last booster, or because I got Moderna this time after always getting Pfizer in the past. I wouldn't think they'd be that different.

Anyway, still worth it. I'm happy I decided to wait and not get my flu shot at the same time though. I'll knock that out next week.

I'm going to get Pfizer for this one. My first 3 COVID shots were Moderna, and the side effects were brutal. Then I got Pfizer for #4 and I barely had any. I think there is a lot of individual variation in how people react and exactly what they experience, and in my limited experience Moderna loving hates me, while Pfizer gets along with me okay.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Latest booster gave me chills which I assume was a slight fever. That is the most I have ever react to a booster. Usually it's just a super sore arm and crazy dreams the night of.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Latest booster gave me chills which I assume was a slight fever. That is the most I have ever react to a booster. Usually it's just a super sore arm and crazy dreams the night of.

Consider yourself lucky. On the first shot I got hyperacusis, which is extreme sensitivity to sound. Hearing an automatic garage door opener literally hurt. Second shot was like a really bad flu, no super unique symptoms on that one beside feeling like utter crap. The bivalent booster made me feel like crap, and also gave me extreme knee pain for some reason. Luckily that one was half the dose of the first two and wore off twice as fast. My fourth shot was Pfizer, and I felt a little lethargic the next day and that's about it. Hence the plan to get Pfizer for #5.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm going to get Pfizer for this one. My first 3 COVID shots were Moderna, and the side effects were brutal. Then I got Pfizer for #4 and I barely had any. I think there is a lot of individual variation in how people react and exactly what they experience, and in my limited experience Moderna loving hates me, while Pfizer gets along with me okay.

yeah my last one was pfizer and even my sore arm was milder, all the rest I got were moderna and they laid me out sick for days and I could barely move my arm for like 48 hours.
I'll take whatever they give me, though.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Getting mine with my partner tomorrow night with the flu shot. Past ones haven't affected me but have the weekend to deal with it if it does.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, I've always heard (via anecdotes), that the Moderna vaccines tends to produce heavier side-effects than the Pfizer ones. I've only had pfizers for my 4 doses and the worst I had was a bit of a sore arm and some sleepiness.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I’m glad we didn’t close the thread because I wouldn’t want to miss this re-run of the 2021 & 2022 side-effects discussion.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pookah posted:

Yeah, I've always heard (via anecdotes), that the Moderna vaccines tends to produce heavier side-effects than the Pfizer ones. I've only had pfizers for my 4 doses and the worst I had was a bit of a sore arm and some sleepiness.

Moderna has a higher active ingredient load than Pfizer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I’m glad we didn’t close the thread because I wouldn’t want to miss this re-run of the 2021 & 2022 side-effects discussion.

Why do you read it if it bothers you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wouldn’t be the c19 thread if it wasn’t 80% almost identical trip reports.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Platystemon posted:

Why do you read it if it bothers you?

Some posters keep making interesting posts interspersed with all the boring ones. It’s not my fault!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not going to expect anyone new to thread to read all 740 pages to catch up, so even that serves a purpose. Anything that helps people feel more comfortable about getting vaccinated and how to get the shots in the first place strike me as a general good.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I hope my health insurance covers my covid and flu shots. This is my first time being on insurance through my job and not medicaid

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

pencilhands posted:

I hope my health insurance covers my covid and flu shots. This is my first time being on insurance through my job and not medicaid

You are a very different poster when you're not making insufferable threads it's weird.

Edit: or did I just fall for a series of epic joke posts that made people think about your medical coverage

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't even know where my vaxx card went to at this point

i set up separate flu and covid because they're out of stock everywhere

my state only seems to have the phizer one

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 22, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spikevax® Kraken Edition™ didn’t do much to me besides a sore injection site.

The so‐called “booster” (third shot total, original formulation) gave me bad systemic side effects, but the bivalent shot limited itself to beating up my arm.

I’m going to chalk up the third shot’s effects as a one‐off and be glad that I’m not going to feel miserable for a couple of days in September for every year hereafter.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My Pfizer booster Monday had me and my friend both feeling straight up fuckin dumb within a few hours. Dumber than usual even!

Was ok the next day mostly

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I slept litterally the whole day and woke up feeling veeerrry slight sick after getting both the pfizer booster and my flu shots but that was it.

Mildly irritating but not a huge deal. Especially if it keeps me out of the hospital.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pencilhands posted:

I did that a few years ago, and it is jarring. I have pretty good private insurance, but in the regular day-to-day Medicaid was in many ways better coverage.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

but in the regular day-to-day Medicaid was in many ways better coverage.

in that medicaid covers things and you can go to the doctor

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think my insurance covered my vaccine, not sure why they wouldn't they are probably pretty aware of horrible and costly covid outcomes can be they like to measure things (or sometimes not even measure just deny claims and then :lol:)

Waiting on the flu shot because there's barely any flu going around except for Texas, don't want to do it too early

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Private Cumshoe posted:

Waiting on the flu shot because there's barely any flu going around except for Texas, don't want to do it too early

I'm not a expert but to my knowledge, unless they say otherwise or if you ask for it, all the flu shots are actually 'quad' shots these days.

They're basically multi shots that cover all the flu types so you should be fine. No more guessing which is likely to be the flu strain to spread anymore.

Pre-COVID is when they were typically still single or double shots. These days they don't screw around and just give you all of them in one go.

Safety wise its no worse than 1 flu shot for most people unless they're immune system is compromised or they have a known history of reactions to multi shots.

The one I got was a quadrivalent Sanofi "Fluzone" shot. Google NDC 49281-0423-50 if like. Other companies call it different things but they're pretty similar for the most part these days.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 22, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re all quadrivalent now, but it hardly matters because the fourth strain is this year and has traditionally been the Yamagata lineage of influenza B, and nonpharmaceutical intervention drove it extinct or drat close to it in 2020.

The WHO cooperating centers still have to make an educated guess on the influenza A strains.

The data on it is kind of sparse, but recombinant and cell culture vaccines, in that order, are probably better than the egg‐based vaccines. If you’re old and need a higher dose or adjuvanted vaccine, get one of those though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think there's some idea that getting the flu shot too early results in it wearing off before the flu season ends. Is there anything to that? Regardless, I'm getting mine today if they'll give it to me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Antibody levels from vaccinations do decline over time. It varies by individual, but usually a few months can make a noticeable difference. This doesn't mean they stop working, just that you aren't quite as protected as when your antibodies are maxxed out.

I've heard "get the shot in October" from lots of medical professionals over the years. We are pretty close to October now though, so.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I work in-person around a lot of people January-April and from home the rest of the year so I'm probably going to wait for my shots until closer to the end of the year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

At the dick sucking factory they make us wait until October before making the free shots available

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
It's a dangerous job now because there's so much close contact and you can't wear a mask!!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Got my Moderna fix yesterday. Some residual biceps ache and seriously batshit crazy dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We got covid from a friend who came over for boardgames with no symptoms at all but tested positive Wednesday after feeling sick. We're hoping we can prevent our six year old from getting it from us, by masking and eating in separate rooms but it's really hard when you have young ones.

Been feverish and achy with a dry cough and exhausted. It came on really fast because we were exposed Tuesday evening and both started feeling the pre sickness throat phlegm coming up on Wednesday evening and Thursday was pretty not great, leading into today when we both feel like poo poo.

Really hoping we can keep our daughter safe, will really feel like a failure as a parent if we can't.