Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
But then I look at what people are doing and it's concerning. Here people stack Prussian unique company bonuses to get ridiculous bonuses for army performance.
EU4 might be my favourite strategy game but in Victoria stuff like this looks out of place. Not just mechanically (very few modifiers in this game are tag-unique) but also narratively, as the shape of your country is supposed to be formed by population, economy and politics. And with modifiers like this it doesn't matter what happens in other aspects of your country, it's a land of space marines.

These are placeholder values and I hope devs will find a way to make them feel important but not game-breaking at the same time. Hopefully they add some sort of trade off you see in every other parts of the game.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah I like(d) the idea of companies conceptually but hearing about them kind of just being eu4 style ideas instead of like, idk, a new type of special-interest IG killed a lot of the excitement for me. Hopefully they get worked into something more engaging later on with foreign investment and all

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
Having the company's mere existence directly boost the entire military really seems to fly in the face of the otherwise more, eh, "material conditions"-based design, unless this is supposed to capture some kind of historically-unparalleled "hand-in-glove" relationship between this particular company and the military.

With mobilization orders (iirc thats what they're called) there's now a whole mechanic for turning extra materiel into military bonuses. Have the company affect the production of materiel, which actually makes sense, and then also make a "superior firepower" mobilization order that chews up extra small arms and artillery for a stat boost. Or the prussians could just field a larger army with the cheaper goods. Or export them.

If prussian military efficacy is supposed to be from superior doctrine/officership/logistics/etc, then give them a tech for that. Either starting with an advanced tech others can access later, or (ugh) a unique one like China's sericulture.
ETA: A whole unique tech is probably overkill, more likely a permanent tag effect like the Ottomans start with for their Sick Man journals.

I know this is "just beta" but this just feels like "prussian military = good" and doesn't try to integrate with the game's existing systems or interrogate history.

CrypticTriptych fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 20, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there's some more nuance to it. i honestly wouldn't worry until the october update, since they're working on integrating it and balancing it.

strange to say this about Paradox since I've given up hope on them adhering to their pretty based design goals, but here i am, optimistic again. drat u paradox...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Completely agreed that it feels weird in this case. The bonus is totally divorced from what's theoretically being simulated.

Just have a better company produce more weapons, not better fighters.

Arbitrary "flavor" boosts to Prussian military performance are really obnoxious.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CrypticTriptych posted:

If prussian military efficacy is supposed to be from superior doctrine/officership/logistics/etc, then give them a tech for that. Either starting with an advanced tech others can access later, or (ugh) a unique one like China's sericulture.

I know this is "just beta" but this just feels like "prussian military = good" and doesn't try to integrate with the game's existing systems or interrogate history.

Right, right. I know that this scaling bonus is gained from the companies being effective. Maybe it will not feel wrong in practice. But even thematically you'd expect something like this from national ideas, doctrines, government programs, technologies. The closest comparison is probably Imperator's dieties, and they too felt thematically appropriate. With companies you know that in reality there are hundreds of companies in every country and it's weird to see such abstraction where every person in the world is simulated in some detail.

I probably sound like a person who complains about EU4 government focus being represented as "mana" but there it's a core pillar and it sets the level of abstraction for the whole game. It feels especially weird powerful companies don't bring any disadvantages.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if they could scale this up by having pops form companies? Larger companies made up of larger numbers of pops might have stronger bonuses, weaknesses, demands, etc.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I started a 1.5.2 game as Japanese shogunate and all of my current and recruitable generals have 0 command limit?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Companies are shaping up to be Yet Another Stacking Bonus which is exactly what they shouldn't be. It's always irritating when an expansion adds another little knob that the player can effortlessly turn to the "make good stuff better" setting, and which the AI will utterly fail to understand - a direct increase to player power with no real drawback or complexity.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why Rhinemetall, it should be Krupp. :colbert:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hey is the beta patch stable?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Tankbuster posted:

Hey is the beta patch stable?

Mine crashed on me after a few hours last nite. Conscription doesn’t seem to work, like I don’t even see options for it. Also upgrading (at least naval) units doesn’t seem to work either. Curious what the optimal composition of infantry, artillery, and cavalry is if anyones tried any experiments?

The military changes are pretty good and I think with production UI can be really awesome.

I’m not really liking how companies are implemented. I definitely agree they shouldn’t just be a stacking bonus for meeting certain goals. Going ham on the idea, bringing in events, impacts to diplomacy/trade, etc would really be immersive and easily justify DLC pricing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

guidoanselmi posted:

Mine crashed on me after a few hours last nite. Conscription doesn’t seem to work, like I don’t even see options for it. Also upgrading (at least naval) units doesn’t seem to work either. Curious what the optimal composition of infantry, artillery, and cavalry is if anyones tried any experiments?

The military changes are pretty good and I think with production UI can be really awesome.

I’m not really liking how companies are implemented. I definitely agree they shouldn’t just be a stacking bonus for meeting certain goals. Going ham on the idea, bringing in events, impacts to diplomacy/trade, etc would really be immersive and easily justify DLC pricing.

I’ve had the occasional crash in it too, though it’s stable enough to play. There’s no conscripts at the moment until they’re reworked and upgrading units should be in the next beta patch version. That’s the one that hurts right now; you’ve got to demolish and rebuild all your barracks if you want better troops, though at least the AI’s in the same boat.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Got a crash as well, in about forty years in game time. Really liking how the game is turning out, and I can recommend the VTM beta patch for people who want more changes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Star posted:

Got a crash as well, in about forty years in game time. Really liking how the game is turning out, and I can recommend the VTM beta patch for people who want more changes.

I guess every Paradox title needs a Vampire mod.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Are the opium wars kicking off correctly for other beta testers? Playing as GB I noticed they still weren’t on the horizon by 1838, so I just wardecced China for a treaty port and got absolutely trashed with the starting army. It was always quite an easy win under the release version, even if the Sikh Empire somehow got involved and teleported the Khalsa over the Himalayas.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
If you conquer unincorporated states as a nation with the colonial exploitation law, is it better to raze their manufacturing industries and rehire them in agriculture and other rural industries or is it still worth it to employ them in urban industries?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

THE BAR posted:

I guess every Paradox title needs a Vampire mod.

I just want you to know I eagerly googled this and was supremely disappointed.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Capfalcon posted:

VTM is (unfortunately?) a minor mod that makes balance and ai changes to make the game more dynamic and historical. There is also a version of it for the beta.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Star posted:

VTM is (unfortunately?) a minor mod that makes balance and ai changes to make the game more dynamic and historical. There is also a version of it for the beta.

Yes, alas. I wanted to rule as a secret vampire prince over the human cattle.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Star posted:

I looked for the version that supports the beta, but the last update I saw was made in August, before the 1.5 release. Is there a version of VTM working with 1.5.2?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Give it time, friend!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

just a kazoo posted:

I looked for the version that supports the beta, but the last update I saw was made in August, before the 1.5 release. Is there a version of VTM working with 1.5.2?

It’s its own mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3030486862

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I can’t possibly see how Victoria 3 gets a vampires bloodlines mod but I want to be proven wrong so I could enjoy it immensely

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

buglord posted:

I can’t possibly see how Victoria 3 gets a vampires bloodlines mod but I want to be proven wrong so I could enjoy it immensely

You can't see how Victoria 3 could model a parasitic overclass that extracts value from a vast underclass with little to no concern for their safety, potentially pushing things too far and inciting a violent backlash?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

You can't see how Victoria 3 could model a parasitic overclass that extracts value from a vast underclass with little to no concern for their safety, potentially pushing things too far and inciting a violent backlash?

Heck, that's one of the Anbennar factions' deal, and they're making a Vicky 3 version of their mod.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

THE BAR posted:

Heck, that's one of the Anbennar factions' deal, and they're making a Vicky 3 version of their mod.

Yeah, but I want it noooooooooow.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crobuzon mod when?

The vampires discussion make me think of the class system in High Cromlech, a nice inversion with vampirs as the lowest class.

But the first thing I'd do is rebuild the Malarial Queendom. :jihad:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I’m Brazil, trying to conquer South America. Often, a european nation will get swayed by the promiss of treaty ports to intervene on my opponent’s behalf. Every time I sway a power to help me with the promise of treaty ports, they literally instantly abandon me…what gives? Why does it accept then break in the same tick lol it sucks having to fight france or Britain every war

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Do they get counter-swayed immediately?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
How would I tell?
I don’t think there’s enough time for diplomacy, it happens within a day.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IME counter-sways always seem to make the nation immediately drop out

so ironically you can promise the sun and the moon and it wont matter

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is this game worth picking up? I never know when Steam reviews are an honest reflection of game quality or just bandwagon nerd rage because Paradox.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If you enjoy paradox simulation games and or the time frame, it's a pretty good game. I would probably wait until the newest big patch comes down which might come with a sale.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’m thoroughly enjoying myself, especially (and even) with the 1.5 beta build which still contains a lot of bugs and placeholders. But I do think that you need to at least somewhat enjoy economic simulations to get something out of the game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I really like Vicky 3 but I don't think it has as much longevity as V2 did by the end of its life. I think there's a big cleavage in strategy/sim fans between people who move on from game to game and people who pick a game and expect to be able to play it like a job and still have fun after 2000 hours. V3 is a cool and interesting game with a lot of upsides but I'm done with it for a couple years at this point, and I'm basically fine with that for the money I paid for it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
What do you feel it’s missing compared to V2?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Star posted:

What do you feel it’s missing compared to V2?

For me it's not that V2 was bigger, but the starting situations of different countries mattered a lot more. The infamy threshold to get dogpiled by the AI was a lot stricter. If you rolled bad and got discovered early in an expensive casus belli play it could basically lock you out of conquering any more territory for a quarter of the game (I always hated this). It felt like you could lean on the world market a lot more in V2 and not have to acquire / produce every good personally to be competetive (this could just be my memory). The old unciv system sucked conceptually but playing an unciv was a substantially different campaign with different mechanics, where as you can mostly do all the same stuff out of the gate as any country in V3. Supply limits for boats also meant it was harder to conduct big overseas wars at the start of the game as poorer countries. It also had difficulty settings, which helps as the AI isn't particularly good at playing V2 or V3.

I don't think it's a better game though, I just think you can play it longer without getting bored / having to RP playing sub-optimally to get a challenge, and that matters a lot to some people. I basically feel the same way about CK2->CK3 in their current forms.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 1, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is this game worth picking up? I never know when Steam reviews are an honest reflection of game quality or just bandwagon nerd rage because Paradox.

It's a decent bare-bones game, that will, with updates (and DLC), become an amazing economic-centered simulation game. I've had a lot of fun in my 150 hours of it so far since launch, but if your main focus is going to be on diplomacy and warfare and "flavour", you may have to wait for those to be fleshed out more (as is currently being done in the ongoing 1.5 beta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It’s my favourite Paradox game, but it absolutely can be relatively simple, easy and samey. For me it’s endlessly satisfying and never demands too much micromanagement, making it a perfect game to chill out to. I hope for a stronger AI in future though, as world conquest type play is too easy.