Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think Woolie harmlessly bumbling through something is fun and funny. Seeing him encounter Dungeons & Dragons-isms for the first time outside of reading Dragonlance novels amuses me. Pat I find more befuddling. I've only watched up through the first 3 or 4 sessions of Pat's BG3 stream, but him never positioning party members properly so that Astarion can sneak attack or popping Karlach's rage after she's attacked is more :psyduck:. Still funny but man... he was the one showing Woolie the ropes lol.

Yeah, I watch Pat's BG3 stuff on YouTube and fast-forward a lot. There's a lot of him min-maxing stuff, organizing his inventory/wheels/etc, and after a few of those I just started skipping anything I wasn't explicitly interested in seeing. I'm in the middle of part 4 and he's starting to realize how to use Astarion I think, he did it right once or twice and then said he's not sure about taking him off the main party anymore. He also tried to attack friendlies recently similar to Woolie so that was amusing; pro-tip: the map shows if people are hostile (red dots) or not (yellow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

A good poster posted:

Is there a term for releasing a podcast that misses discussion on a news event that happens after an episode is recorded but before it's posted? I think it happened to CSB on the Babylon's Fall cancellation.

It turns out to be for the best that they skipped the podcast this week, as they would've missed Unity causing an uproar across huge swaths of the game industry with their new retroactive install charges. Sure, they don't have the sort of insight into the situation that a game developer would have, but this could potentially jeopardize Silksong's release, and that's probably enough to make pat pitch a fit.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I just got the clip of Woolie and Reggie's bidet discussion in my recommends and I am amused at how completely confident Woolie seems to be that bidets only exist in their modern form, like they haven't been around in various permutations for more than two centuries.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A good poster posted:

It turns out to be for the best that they skipped the podcast this week, as they would've missed Unity causing an uproar across huge swaths of the game industry with their new retroactive install charges. Sure, they don't have the sort of insight into the situation that a game developer would have, but this could potentially jeopardize Silksong's release, and that's probably enough to make pat pitch a fit.

I am really, really interested for how the situation will develop by next podcast. It sounds like they're already vagueing a backdown, and I would not be shocked if they completely back down once they're legally attacked by big publishers that have used Unity (Nintendo, Microsoft, Epic, Square, Tencent) hear how much Unity wants to charge them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have deliberately not looked at the couple of shared I bought in the company back when they had their IPO. I was already taking a bath there so whatever but I'd rather not know how much deeper the proverbial tub got after this.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I am really, really interested for how the situation will develop by next podcast. It sounds like they're already vagueing a backdown, and I would not be shocked if they completely back down once they're legally attacked by big publishers that have used Unity (Nintendo, Microsoft, Epic, Square, Tencent) hear how much Unity wants to charge them.

At this point, even if they do a complete backdown, no one's going to trust them enough to use their engine over other available options ever again after this. They've essentially old yeller'd their whole product for absolutely no reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Unity more like Discord

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Okay, Woolie's BG3 episode today is insanely nothing, like, wow. They loot, start leveling up, game crashes, they redo that, and that's 40 minutes gone.

I also finished part 4 of Pat's run and another thing he keeps doing is just letting party members die. Like they'll still be doing saving rolls, he'll end combat, and not pick them up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pat when combat ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRrHV-qIEs&t=34s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brightman posted:

Okay, Woolie's BG3 episode today is insanely nothing, like, wow. They loot, start leveling up, game crashes, they redo that, and that's 40 minutes gone.

Woolie is pretty committed to capturing the accurate BG3 multiplayer experience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-games/worthless-scumbag-eric-sparrow-thankfully-found-dead/

quote:

TRENTON, N.J. — Washed-up skateboarder and worthless scumbag gently caress Eric Sparrow has thankfully been found dead at the age of 37.

“Real piece of work, that Sparrow kid,” said the man known to the Element Skateboards team—an early sponsor of Sparrow’s—as Todd the Manager, through a mouthful of food. “Lost us one of our best skaters after he passed off the blame for his jarhead joyride and I was hangry and desperate enough to believe his story. Luckily, Bam used to stand me up next to his dad and claim we were twins, or my rear end would’ve been kicked to the curb, too.”

Sparrow was appropriately found nearly three months ago in the burned wreckage of an Elm Street crack house, but due to investigators’ understandable lack of interest in the case, it took the Trenton Police Department several weeks to find anyone willing to confirm the identity of the body, and even longer to get around to announcing Sparrow’s overdue passing to the public.

“Uh, yeah, we’re getting right on that,” said a spokesman for Trenton PD when asked for an update on the investigation at an unrelated press conference, after having to be reminded who Sparrow was. All citizens and members of the press who were present appeared satisfied with TPD’s progress.

Like many sociopaths, Sparrow was notoriously self-serving, deceitful, and impulsive, with a history of arson and at least one semi-public episode of incontinence. After spending some time in Baltimore, Sparrow was forced to relocate back to his hometown in 2007 when his career took a nosedive following a thunderous loss to an upstart young skateboarder at every stage of that year’s Tri-City Skate Competition—a twofold loss for Sparrow, who actually forfeited his car to the winner in a rare instance of keeping his word.

“Eric was a backstabbing, mob-flipping cockroach,” said a man identifying himself only as ‘Steve,’ but whom locals describe as a skateboarding legend and former contemporary of Sparrow’s. “A shithead in more ways than one. Good riddance.”

It’s still unknown whether Sparrow himself set the fire that took his meaningless life, as his brief pursuit of riches and validation reportedly led him to run afoul of local drug dealers, at least one Florida Sheriff’s office, and even the Russian military.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1704324673566371869

:dogbutton:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Pat really has the most magically misshapen brain.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pat really has the most magically misshapen brain.

It's true. He sees the world in a magical way, even if it's wrong.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Man Who Hates Jet Ser Radio Also Wrong About Other Stuff, News At 11.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
He's been fighting people on twitter about how he hates edgerunners since it's boring and not how trigger shows are supposed to be for a couple days now.

That it morphed into "he hates coming of age stories, oh but also those things I like aren't coming of age stories" is not the swerve I was expecting

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
He means that it's not the primary focus of those things. He's loving wrong of course. You could make a version of the Gundam shooting "war is bad" (or whatever) over the guys head out of this pretty easily by replacing it with Pat and an EVA.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Oh are we in another "Pat doubles down on a stupid opinion to make people mad" phase?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I've got to hand it to Woolie for at least trying to steer the conversation this week away from Pat's crazy OCD takes. I honestly don't know at this point if Pat just plays dumb to be inflammatory or if he's just out of his mind.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

When Pat does his schtick and you can agree with him, it's pretty entertaining. It can be obnoxious when you disagree with what he's trying to say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's his issue with Edgerunners? The last time I checked in on their opinions wrt the show was months back when they did the joke about how the show "gaslights you with quality." but even then Pat seemed overall positive on it.

I really shouldn't look for logic, should I?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

What's his issue with Edgerunners? The last time I checked in on their opinions wrt the show was months back when they did the joke about how the show "gaslights you with quality." but even then Pat seemed overall positive on it.

I really shouldn't look for logic, should I?

It starts out too slow focusing on character work and set up and then all the actions later in the show. Which is apparently a failing and not the show trying to make the shift where things get hosed up and serious feel as frantic and terrifying as possible. Cause it's a cyberpunk thing, why is it doing all that stuff in the first half???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It starts out too slow focusing on character work and set up and then all the actions later in the show. Which is apparently a failing and not the show trying to make the shift where things get hosed up and serious feel as frantic and terrifying as possible. Cause it's a cyberpunk thing, why is it doing all that stuff in the first half???

The show literally starts with a cyberspycho mass shooting that both establishes how hosed the world is and kicks off the main plot in how it ties back to David, takes two episodes to establish the leads and then by episode 3 the already steady stream of violence hits the gas when David takes his first gig with Maine's crew.

How fast do you need things to go, Pat? Start off with David as a psybersycho edgerunner? I already felt they were speedrunning (in a good way, imo) David's descent into desperation with how quickly his life falls apart when he loses his mom.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 20, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

worth noting that he caved
https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1704324674644214007?s=20
https://twitter.com/SwampKingCool/status/1704326318077473274?s=20
https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1704326696147812478?s=20

I would note that, while he IS being crazy about the Coming Of Age thing, he's absolutely right that Edgerunners is really cliche cyberpunk and that Lucy is loving lame. I don't dislike it as much as he does (or like every other Imaishi project like he does), and it's really pretty, but there's not a lot to chew on.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 20, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Catcher In The Rye is also bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Warbird posted:

Catcher In The Rye is also bad

Yeah but it's a bad I enjoyed reading. Still cracks me up it was at the center of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, since it just kinda hammers home the intense goober vibes no matter what the series tries.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wasn't that also a thing with whatshisface that shot Reagan and/or that one Beatle?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Boy howdy these Bomb Rush Cyberfunk and Darkest Dungeon 2 conversations are just the guys getting into their own respective feedback loops huh. Slamming that +30 second button a few times, and it's still going on, again and again.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I think they spent 2 hours of the podcast this week with that sort of thing

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
Thank god for timestamps, I'm skipping past all that after hearing some of it on the Twitch stream. Even Pat's food analogy irritated the hell out of me.

I got no opinion on Edgerunners since I haven't bothered watching it, though something tells me he wouldn't like Gridman either.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I was literally typing "gee, good thing this was a slow news week" in the chat and then 40 minutes later, they were STILL on DD2 discussion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like the podcast would be better if Woolie could just tell Pat the shut up and drop a topic once a week. We could have been saved 1 hour of Pat saying "I don't like thing. Thing should just be exactly like I like" over and over for more and more insane examples.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Button under his desk to send Paige in with a spray bottle. We'll Pavlov him into changing his behavior.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

On the upside, I've always avoided Darkest Dungeon 2 because I didn't want to gently caress around with the wagon stuff and had some reservations about it, but I think Woolie has sold me on finally checking it out. That last boss encounter sounds incredible.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Darkest Dungeon 2 is a coming of age story because the Antiquairian is a shitheel just like Holden Caulfield.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I feel like the podcast would be better if Woolie could just tell Pat the shut up and drop a topic once a week. We could have been saved 1 hour of Pat saying "I don't like thing. Thing should just be exactly like I like" over and over for more and more insane examples.
honestly yeah Pat is incredibly rational with a bunch of things but then when he goes into "I don't like thing" mode he just doubles down in stupider and stupider ways. and sometimes it can be funny, but not if he does it all the time. The Bit gets old when it's happening every week. and maybe that's part of him releasing stress from baby woes, but it's getting really annoying. and this is coming from someone who has, largely, been fine with his tendencies for...like a decade now.

RareAcumen posted:

Button under his desk to send Paige in with a spray bottle. We'll Pavlov him into changing his behavior.
I would get a tier 2 sub if he allowed this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, I just noticed pat crested the 100k follower count on twitch, nice! I'm kind of surprised woolie isn't that high too.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Woolie doesn't get along with chat as much as Pat so I think it checks out. On YouTube Woolie has 100k more subscribers than Pat, although I don't know if that evens it out.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Pat's primarily on Twitch and his youtube channel is basically just a place to dump VODs. Woolie's channel has basically been frozen at 190k subs for some time now and the Vs Algorithm doesn't seem to be doing well either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

and the Vs Algorithm doesn't seem to be doing well either.

For one, it's a terrible name for what it's designed to be for