Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Evil Canadian/Rooflemonger is a lab monster, I've always enjoyed his vids.

In the early tournies, I really like the dynamic of players changing their Kameos based on their opponent's playstyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So Shujinko can be used to steal sento stance.

https://twitter.com/zephyire/status/1703895166015115474

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Twibbit posted:

Because of loving course he would :v:

At least they still remember Deception sorta

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It occurred to me that MK11 pandered directly to everyone whose childhood peaked during MK3 and MK1 is doing the same for the 3D era babies. This can only mean one thing: The release of Shaolin Monks 2 is imminent.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It occurred to me that MK11 pandered directly to everyone whose childhood peaked during MK3 and MK1 is doing the same for the 3D era babies. This can only mean one thing: The release of Shaolin Monks 2 is imminent.

:pray:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

*Predator handshake with Scorpion and Sub-Zero.gif*

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

...ya know you got a point

would Shaolin Monks 2 be Raiden, Kenshi, Kung Lao, and Johnny Cage as playable?

I could live with that

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

exquisite tea posted:

Its in the invasions cage mansion already!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TulliusCicero posted:

...ya know you got a point

would Shaolin Monks 2 be Raiden, Kenshi, Kung Lao, and Johnny Cage as playable?

I could live with that

The original game that was going to be SM2 was called "Fire and Ice" and featured Scorpion and Sub-Zero as the two main characters.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ed Boon please remake Smash TV

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Ed should remake sub zero mytho but only on a 1:1 basis

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This guy has a way for every character to punish a point blank Sareena Krull Toss, if you're interested. Some of them aren't *great* but they're there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PxscNjfAM

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Cowards should just let sareena doing her thing imo

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Question for PC players: does the option to mute other players mic work for anyone? I have it turned on, restarted the game to check it stays on, still hear other players. So far nothing unpleasant really, but I feel running into a torrent of slurs is kinda inevitable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Schnitzler posted:

Question for PC players: does the option to mute other players mic work for anyone? I have it turned on, restarted the game to check it stays on, still hear other players. So far nothing unpleasant really, but I feel running into a torrent of slurs is kinda inevitable.

You have to mute both yourself and the other player.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I cant believe they made Reiko badass

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Shao Kahn "I've trained this man to be the ultimate warrior since childhood"

Reiko: Just bleed style mma guy

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

You have to mute both yourself and the other player.

Did that as well, still get other players voice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

Shao Kahn "I've trained this man to be the ultimate warrior since childhood"

Reiko: Just bleed style mma guy

Several decades of testing in MMA have determined that this is the best way to fight. When it first started it was like "let's pit a black belt in karate against a black belt in tae-kwon-do and see who wins" and then very quickly everyone found out there is no counter to just getting on top and beating on someone who's prone.

Although I guess it hasn't been tried against swords and axes and poo poo. Dana White needs to get on it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
idk, there is something special about hearing "This mother fucker!" over some rap song

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Reiko looks like a huge douchebag lol. I make him wear the Shao Kahn helmet I got for him so I don’t have to see his dorky haircut or face

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Reiko definitely has a closet full of Affliction and Tapout t-shirts

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You could photoshop MK1 Reiko in place of the lead singer of every American rock/metal/punk band from the 2000s and no one would notice.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Turns out, for HDR to be available in the options menu on PC, you need to actually turn it on in Windows every time you want to play the game which is annoing as hell.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Twibbit posted:

Well that's loving awesome

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr. Neutron posted:

Turns out, for HDR to be available in the options menu on PC, you need to actually turn it on in Windows every time you want to play the game which is annoing as hell.

How do I do that exactly?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TulliusCicero posted:

How do I do that exactly?

type hdr in windows search and you will see hdr settings pop up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Ed Boon please remake Smash TV

Wrong Smash :v:

Mortal Smash Bros.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

man nurse posted:

Reiko looks like a huge douchebag lol. I make him wear the Shao Kahn helmet I got for him so I don’t have to see his dorky haircut or face

I like the smug rear end face he pulls when he does his fatal blow lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ashrah/Scorp is a very fun pairing. You can get improbable combos off of unlikely strings like her 223 or f423, her back throw or even her uppercut with fire breath. Once I stop dropping everything in the air against everyone but the training dummy she'll be a real powerhouse.

Protip for the back throw timing: You want to call Scorpion at the exact same time you would say "a two-HOOOO" in the triple slash sequence, assuming you are watching the tootsie roll pop commercial from your childhood.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I do not understand the “special” meter outside of blocking. If you have 3 bars, and you’re at 30% health or less, you can do an X-ray attack with your kameo?

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Special meter and the X-Ray attack/Fatal Blow are not linked. You use your special meter to amplify attacks, which usually costs 1 bar, although a few special attacks cost more. You also use your special meter to break out of your opponents combo, which costs all 3 bars.
Fatal Blow/X-Ray attack on the other hand becomes available when your at 30% health, as you say. Your Kameo must be available, but it costs no special meter.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thank you!

So my special meter just amps up abilities by pressing R2 (PS5) on the final input of most abilities? And I can press Forward+R2 to break out of enemy combos if I have all 3 bars filled? Do I need my Kameo bar for either of those?

Another maybe dumb question: I find it easier to move with the joystick, but combos and abilities seem easier with the D-pad. Do most people stick to one of the two, or use them both?

I’m a fighting game novice, but I have managed to beat my 7 year old daughter in a few matches so I’m feeling good.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The game has an excellent tutorial that teaches and explains everything you want to know and more.

Just sayin'.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

The game has an excellent tutorial that teaches and explains everything you want to know and more.

Just sayin'.

I am stuck on the 3rd combo for every character in the tutorial

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So my special meter just amps up abilities by pressing R2 (PS5) on the final input of most abilities? And I can press Forward+R2 to break out of enemy combos if I have all 3 bars filled? Do I need my Kameo bar for either of those?
Exactly, you can check the move list -> special abilities to see which abilities you can amplifly, how much it costs, frame data changes and so on. As you say, for amplifying you have to press R2 at the same time as the final button. For the breaker you can hold Forward+R2 and it will come out as soon as possible, no need to time the press here.

Amplifying does not require Kameo, but I believe you need to have your Kameo available for breaker? I am not 100% sure on this to be honest.

Another maybe dumb question: I find it easier to move with the joystick, but combos and abilities seem easier with the D-pad. Do most people stick to one of the two, or use them both?
As far as I know you use either one or the other. I believe for MK games the D-pad is preferred by most players, but ultimately whatever works best for you is what you should use.

Edit:

Mr. Neutron posted:

Just sayin'.

Oh yeah this is true, the tutorial is excellent.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just got the high score trophy for the gateway towers. The easy way to do this is to try for a five floor tower with no modifiers, which thankfully spawned in the hourly towers this morning.

If you warp to the first map, the village, and stand on a low level node, and then warp back to the gateway tower, it lowers its level to something trivial like 1 or 3. From there it’s very easy to get flawless rounds and end with a brutality which is the most important part. Should easily put you past the 5 million requirement, I got something like 9 mil.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I am stuck on the 3rd combo for every character in the tutorial

Not gonna lie, some of the character combos are really tricky and for like, 226 damage lmao.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

I just got the high score trophy for the gateway towers. The easy way to do this is to try for a five floor tower with no modifiers, which thankfully spawned in the hourly towers this morning.

If you warp to the first map, the village, and stand on a low level node, and then warp back to the gateway tower, it lowers its level to something trivial like 1 or 3. From there it’s very easy to get flawless rounds and end with a brutality which is the most important part. Should easily put you past the 5 million requirement, I got something like 9 mil.

There's a large "all fatalities" multiplier on the score for normal towers. I think I got like 12 million on a novice tower med difficulty with it when I usually would get around 3 million. Dunno if it's the same for the gateway towers with this achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

D-Pad is generally easier for NRS games, yeah.