Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay so we are definitely headed toward a government shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You need leverage to be able to whip effectively and one of the problems is that the party is now captive to the crazies who cannot be sated by things like "reason" or "logic." A super thin majority also means any single voter now can wreck your agenda. McCarthy has no leverage; the crazies have the power no matter their actual number because the "moderates" also fear an outbreak of crazy in their primaries. I don't know how you can be a functional whip in a place like this.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Hollismason posted:

that's been a crystal-clear fact for months

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What about the Dole Whip?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

butt dickus posted:

this is true, i don't know who he is, but the post is clearly a joke and i'm gonna triple down on that. this is straight from the top of his twitter page, seems ok?

I’m glad he’s down with Joe but “I recognize that Biden is a human being and Trump is some kind of crapulous devil” is not incompatible with being a shithead who spent sixty dollars on airport liquor

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

kw0134 posted:

You need leverage to be able to whip effectively and one of the problems is that the party is now captive to the crazies who cannot be sated by things like "reason" or "logic." A super thin majority also means any single voter now can wreck your agenda. McCarthy has no leverage; the crazies have the power no matter their actual number because the "moderates" also fear an outbreak of crazy in their primaries. I don't know how you can be a functional whip in a place like this.

Earmarks used to be super important for greasing the wheels and getting other members on board, but they got rid of those.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oOv3cuP8M4

Nessus posted:

I’m glad he’s down with Joe but “I recognize that Biden is a human being and Trump is some kind of crapulous devil” is not incompatible with being a shithead who spent sixty dollars on airport liquor

Honestly at this point I assume the only joke was taking the vegetables off and acting like he was mad

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 21, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

butt dickus posted:

this is true, i don't know who he is, but the post is clearly a joke and i'm gonna triple down on that. this is straight from the top of his twitter page, seems ok?

Brooks is a fiscal conservative who doesn’t like how openly evil the gop is and mad that it lacks honor or something. He is a Rommel in a room full of direlwanger

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Democratic Congressman Darren Soto, hailing from Kissimmee

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Raku posted:

How do these people even reconcile themselves with hermaphroditism

Oh wait they don't, they'd probably do like ancient Sparta and leave that baby in the wilderness

It's this, look up "spiteful mutant hypothesis" to understand how they'd approach people who deviate from their human ideal if you have the stomach for straight up purestrain genocidal eugenics poo poo :smith:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
At least we know it was bronzer and not a medical condition side effect from <something>. We all knew it was bronzer

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

matt geats the rapist: speaker

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

D’aww, you got duped by the right winger who playacts at being a centrist

Maybe read a little more about your new hero before you go sucking his dick

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

It's this, look up "spiteful mutant hypothesis" to understand how they'd approach people who deviate from their human ideal if you have the stomach for straight up purestrain genocidal eugenics poo poo :smith:
I’m a spiteful mutant alright

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

rotinaj posted:

D’aww, you got duped by the right winger who playacts at being a centrist

Maybe read a little more about your new hero before you go sucking his dick

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

butt dickus posted:

Haha, you're still typing.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

in fact, the portrait of the most famous and accomplished whip there ever was happened to be a central piece of the puzzle when a man tazed his balls to death in the Capitol Building

:hmmyes:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1704924781626163619

these fucks

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Give them a break, who works on a Friday?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Orange Whip? Orange Whip?

3 Orange Whips.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I want to work that kind of schedule, dang

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1704920614530609470

oh no

how terrible.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

HappyHippo posted:

Earmarks used to be super important for greasing the wheels and getting other members on board, but they got rid of those.
See I almost wonder now if in today's "all political theater is actually national" whether even the comeback of earmarks would make a difference. It's not a matter of people fighting over whether this base gets built in whose district, a significant body of people are in Congress to rail against a conservative bugaboo with no conceivable link to their constituent's welfare. The Republicans no longer use any meaningful metric for their governance, it's all owning the libs. Hell, they've admitted that they can't even put down a marker for negotiations since it's all about burning the place down.

Logrolling requires a point of sanity to start from, and we're starting in Cuckoocloudland.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I want to work that kind of schedule, dang

Presumably, they're doing that to go back and tey to hammer the crazies in line rather than take a three-day weekend. But lol either way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

I’m a spiteful mutant alright

you jest but it's literally a proposal for systenatic baby murder and forced pregnancy so the kill rate can be increased to approximate "natural" child mortality. Pro-life everybody!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

McCarthy: Defense budget? Our own bill??
Five nutcases: No.
McCarthy: Please??!?
Five nutcases: No.

McCarthy: Whelll, I suppose we've done all we can do this week. Good job everybody!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

kw0134 posted:

HappyHippo posted:

This right here is one of the reasons its all falling apart. As much as I find earmarks distasteful I understand that they were quite important to the functioning of government.

Way to fight corruption while making your party unable to govern, while also being even more corrupt than when earmarks were a thing.

Edit:

kw0134 posted:

See I almost wonder now if in today's "all political theater is actually national" whether even the comeback of earmarks would make a difference. It's not a matter of people fighting over whether this base gets built in whose district, a significant body of people are in Congress to rail against a conservative bugaboo with no conceivable link to their constituent's welfare. The Republicans no longer use any meaningful metric for their governance, it's all owning the libs. Hell, they've admitted that they can't even put down a marker for negotiations since it's all about burning the place down.

Logrolling requires a point of sanity to start from, and we're starting in Cuckoocloudland.

This is also quite true and why bringing back earmarks won't fix things. The people that believed in earmarks are gone or outnumbered, and any attempt to bring them back will be seen as a massive betrayal to conservative values against "corruption".

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 21, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
It's probably brought up every shutdown, but is there a point where things like Social Security checks stop getting mailed out? Or is that on autopilot?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah, pass the poo poo out of it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

you jest but it's literally a proposal for systenatic baby murder and forced pregnancy so the kill rate can be increased to approximate "natural" child mortality. Pro-life everybody!
What? Like they actually do want to ice babies after birth?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's probably brought up every shutdown, but is there a point where things like Social Security checks stop getting mailed out? Or is that on autopilot?

Yeah, a quick Google search says that Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and VA benefits are on autopilot.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

butt dickus posted:

i honestly can't believe you're not doing a bit

edit:
> Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kevin attempting to save himself further humiliation till next week

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

TulliusCicero posted:

Kevin attempting to save himself further humiliation till next week

he can only cum so many times!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

No that's it's own separate thing. If that happened you'd have people in rollators throwing molotov cocktails in the streets of DC.

Nobody fucks with Social security payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

What? Like they actually do want to ice babies after birth?

yes, because, extrapolating from a study done on bees (yes), proponents believe that populations acquire "mutational load" and "mutants" not only act against the survival interests of the population but spread deviant behaviors socially to the non-mutated, and that while nature is supposed to kill off mutants before they mature, advances in medicine have screwed up this process, thus, baby murder by quota, amd genocide against people who behave in ways they disapprove of.