Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The wider bottom will make it more stable but harder to pull. Check out skipulk.com as well. They have some cheapish Paris sled options that work really well.

I've got their racing pulk and it's buttery smooth to use in winter. Love that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

incogneato posted:

I'm looking for a sled I can pull behind myself while snowshoeing this winter. Partly it will be to haul a toddler on our regular snowshoe adventures, but I also have wanted to try some basic winter camping for a while. Nothing real serious yet--probably just walking a couple hundred feet from my car at a sno park at first, but I do know of some lakes nearby that I could in theory do eventually.

I see some really fancy sleds/polks out there, but I don't really want to drop a ton of money in case it doesn't get used too much. On the other hand, this is a whole category that I know absolutely nothing about, so I'm worried about buying too cheap. Is something like this good enough? https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-Jet-Sled-Multi-Purpose/dp/B002RWBPQM/

I have used a pulk and one of these https://www.cybex-online.com/de/at/...z4aAndDEALw_wcB and prefer the latter as it seems to not want to tip over as easiely in hilly terrain. If you do not already have the kid wagon it will not be cheap, but at least the wagon you can use year round.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got a favorite snack that fills the niche that cliff bars do, but isn't a clif bar?

I've kept them in my snack bag for many years because I need to keep a high carb+simple sugars option available and they're readily available and pretty resistant to melting. But the past year or two my tastes have changed and they just don't taste good.. I have to force them down and it sits badly in the stomach. I'm kinda sick of clif bars killing my appetite and am looking for other options.

Fast carbs and heat resistance are the most important traits. It'd be nice if any grocery store carried them but I'm fine ordering online too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gu's exist, would that work for you?

Also, things like, cookies or quaker granola bars fill in just fine too

Clif bars aren't special

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I really like these Nature Valley Biscuits with Almond Butter bars.
https://www.costco.com/nature-valley-biscuits-with-almond-butter%2c-1.35-oz%2c-30-count.product.100403304.html
They dont weigh much, 190 cals a pop. Only downside for me is they arent smush resistant at all.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite snack that fills the niche that cliff bars do, but isn't a clif bar?

I've kept them in my snack bag for many years because I need to keep a high carb+simple sugars option available and they're readily available and pretty resistant to melting. But the past year or two my tastes have changed and they just don't taste good.. I have to force them down and it sits badly in the stomach. I'm kinda sick of clif bars killing my appetite and am looking for other options.

Fast carbs and heat resistance are the most important traits. It'd be nice if any grocery store carried them but I'm fine ordering online too.

Lärabar has been a go to for us because they actually taste decent and aren’t made of corn. They’re almost all using dates as the core of the bars, but aren’t high in protein, if that’s important. I think the four to six ingredient list is pretty drat neat.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Might seem silly but I just picked up a super comfy Carhartt brand fanny pack/cross body bag for $30 at Fleet Farm. New festival bag locked down.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

... the past year or two my tastes have changed and they just don't taste good
No, they changed the formula. The new ones are awful.

I love the kirkland brand protein bars, they have 4 flavors.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jorath posted:

No, they changed the formula. The new ones are awful.

omg I thought i was just getting burnt out on them

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

AKZ posted:

Might seem silly but I just picked up a super comfy Carhartt brand fanny pack/cross body bag for $30 at Fleet Farm. New festival bag locked down.

If anyone else is looking for something like this, Jandd has two sizes on closeout right now for similar prices:

Normal fanny pack size for $20
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMF2-C02

Large-ish for $40 https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMFP-OS

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I got the REI Trail 5 fanny pack earlier this year and it's been great for short outings, like taking my kid to a fair with snacks and sunscreen, taking water and a snack on an easy day hike, etc

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Natures bakery fig bars are a good substitute for me.

They're much more tolerable from a taste and texture standpoint, 200 calories, and about the same size. I don't really eat cliff bars anymore because some of the flavors oddly give me heartburn? or something kind of like it. Plus I just don't thoroughly enjoy them, they're so dry and dense that I feel I usually have to choke them down when I'm breathing kind of hard.

Also if you just need sugar and some salt, stroopwafels. Not the honey stinger things, just plain ole fashion stroopwaffles. They're so good.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Verman posted:

Natures bakery fig bars are a good substitute for me.

They're much more tolerable from a taste and texture standpoint, 200 calories, and about the same size. I don't really eat cliff bars anymore because some of the flavors oddly give me heartburn? or something kind of like it. Plus I just don't thoroughly enjoy them, they're so dry and dense that I feel I usually have to choke them down when I'm breathing kind of hard.

Also if you just need sugar and some salt, stroopwafels. Not the honey stinger things, just plain ole fashion stroopwaffles. They're so good.

Oh man those fig bars are good. Add a packet of nut butter if you need more fat. Almond butter goes well with them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That reminds me, someone here a while ago recommended putting PB and J on a tortilla and rolling it up. It has become a favorite trail food and road trip food, crucially it is also liked by my 4 year old

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I do that but between two pieces of bread

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I freaking love taking baklava. Just leave it in its sealable container until you’re starving. Hi cal, honey sugar rush, nuts for protein and it’s downright decadent when you whip it out at the end of a hike and make camp.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oracle posted:

I freaking love taking baklava. Just leave it in its sealable container until you’re starving. Hi cal, honey sugar rush, nuts for protein and it’s downright decadent when you whip it out at the end of a hike and make camp.

drat this is an amazing idea, I'm gonna surprise my partner with this on our next booking trip. :tipshat:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kids are godless animals that don't like peanut butter and jelly together. Between that and clif bars costing more than i want to pay for them I'm in the market for new snacks so thanks for the recommendations.

Rip being able to buy a box of 12 for like six bucks on sale.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

alnilam posted:

That reminds me, someone here a while ago recommended putting PB and J on a tortilla and rolling it up. It has become a favorite trail food and road trip food, crucially it is also liked by my 4 year old

Yeah it's great. Tortillas have the same caloric value as slices of bread but take up less space.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We always make his & hers trail mix with our own favorite things. My wife puts wasabi peas in hers. Psycho stuff.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

For fast simple carbs I've been taking shortbread for the last couple of years. Haven't gotten sick of it yet but we'll see. Nice thing is, if I can't find a reasonable deal at the store or online, I can just make a shitload myself

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Morbus posted:

For fast simple carbs I've been taking shortbread for the last couple of years. Haven't gotten sick of it yet but we'll see. Nice thing is, if I can't find a reasonable deal at the store or online, I can just make a shitload myself

You'll get sick of it eventually, just ask Samwise Gamgee

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

alnilam posted:

I do this and add a banana. The tortillas wrap around half a banana nicely so I get two easy wraps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

You'll get sick of it eventually, just ask Samwise Gamgee

Dude eats like 10 meals a day, not a credible source.

And I love all these suggestions. I got some shopping+sampling to do.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I am a huge fan of a sandwich bag filled with GORP, and Honey Stinger stropwafels.

I’ve found M&Ms in GORP hold up pretty well on warmer days as long as they’re not smushed.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Morbus posted:

For fast simple carbs I've been taking shortbread

Thhis is brilliant

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy food stuff. I’ve got a bunch of things that I have as go-tos. There’s the Fiber One cinnamon coffee cake bars, full of delicious cinnamon. There’s the Nature Valley peanut butter biscuits, full of delicious peanut butter. The Bobo oat bars are great, they have some moisture in them so they aren’t dry and crunchy and tough to eat.

There’s the Lenny and Larry giant cookies, can’t go wrong there. I try to pack some of the chia squeeze pouches as well. I might grab the Pro Bar energy blocks as well. Can’t go without peanut butter filled pretzel pieces, they’re great for downing salt quickly. Lastly there’s the That’s It fruit bars. Great for when I want something tart.

I’ll typically pack maybe 4-5 things per hike, maybe more for a longer hike and I’ll continue trying different stuff at the store to see if something else is good. Like stroopwafels are good and I’ll sometimes take them but it’s kinda rare since I’m not often in the mood for it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My dad would always make flapjacks to take on hikes with us (the UK oat bar Version, not the US fat pancakes)
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/yummy-golden-syrup-flapjacks

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I suppose tangential to the rest of food chat, are Packit Gourmet still legit? Decided I'd give the earthquake kit a once-over, and since the earthquake kit also pulls from my camping gear for extra food....

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PackIt Gourmet is delicious. My go to for boil meals. They don't have as long a shelf life as others but they taste great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah packit gourmet is rad. Their ramen rescue is way better than it should be. The kickin chicken wrap is probably the best dehydrated lunch I've ever found.

My only critique is their burger meal doesn't come with condiments anymore. There was something special about getting the taste of a hamburger deep in the mountains.

If you want to DIY their ingredients are great too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I may have to look into more of these gourmet backpacker meals as I've really stepped away from mountainhouse/backpacker pantry as they're pricey, generally huge portions, and not the best in terms of taste and texture. I've heard nothing but great things about packit gourmet.

Also, anybody else heard of or use Amazon Vine? I got invited and basically you get free stuff from amazon from companies looking to build reviews in exchange for an honest review of the product. The catch is you can get up to three products per day, valued under $100 and have to review 100 items in 6 months. BUT you have to pay taxes on the estimated value (like half of MSRP) at the end of the year. Anyway, its filled with a ton of junk, like ... lots and lots of random poo poo that I can't fathom people are ordering, and stuff gets added every day. After you review 100 items, you are then bumped up and can order items of any value. The search function is pretty awful as you can't filter by price or size or anything. But hey, free is free.

I'm giving it a go to see how it is. So far I've been able to order a bunch of random stuff. Some good, some okay. I've mostly done outdoor stuff and tools. Lots of rope, camping pillows, a folding foam sitting pad, camp chairs, headlamps, a multi tool, etc. I was thinking of making a post of some of the stuff for better or worse if anybody is interested.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

I may have to look into more of these gourmet backpacker meals as I've really stepped away from mountainhouse/backpacker pantry as they're pricey, generally huge portions, and not the best in terms of taste and texture. I've heard nothing but great things about packit gourmet.

I'm researching which dehydrator to get this winter so I can go all-in on it next year. The number of recipes it opens up is truly absurd. Like I had a guy telling me how awesome dehydrated spaghetti sauce is and now I can't wait to try it. He would also melt down chocolate and coat it over various fruits and cookies and vacuum seal them into little individual servings. I got hungry just talking to him.

Assuming you got a system to clean your cook pot after every meal it feels like it's absolutely the way to go. I'll hopefully know for sure this time next year. :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Verman posted:

Also, anybody else heard of or use Amazon Vine? I got invited and basically you get free stuff from amazon from companies looking to build reviews in exchange for an honest review of the product. The catch is you can get up to three products per day, valued under $100 and have to review 100 items in 6 months. BUT you have to pay taxes on the estimated value (like half of MSRP) at the end of the year. Anyway, its filled with a ton of junk, like ... lots and lots of random poo poo that I can't fathom people are ordering, and stuff gets added every day. After you review 100 items, you are then bumped up and can order items of any value. The search function is pretty awful as you can't filter by price or size or anything. But hey, free is free.

I'm giving it a go to see how it is. So far I've been able to order a bunch of random stuff. Some good, some okay. I've mostly done outdoor stuff and tools. Lots of rope, camping pillows, a folding foam sitting pad, camp chairs, headlamps, a multi tool, etc. I was thinking of making a post of some of the stuff for better or worse if anybody is interested.
Lol I never trust vine reviews

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Verman posted:

Sounds like you got duped by Bezos into doing a bunch of work for free

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tbh the huge portions are a feature not a bug, if I'm backpacking I want all the calories I can get

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm not a fan of cooking more food than I can eat and it's more of an inconvenience not finishing a bunch of food from a dehydrated packet. Hiking partners don't always want to share a meal or eat that thing that day.

Packing out uneaten food is dumb weight to carry and a mess. I would rather have a meal that's not as huge and supplement with other stuff if needed. A lot of the new brands seem to be smaller portions.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can make your own backpack meals to rehydrate in ziplocks if you don't like the things on the market. You can also repackage single servings of powdered soup, make your own pasta things, use parcooked rice, etc

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If you're spending more than a few nights a year in the backcountry it's absolutely worth your while to get a dehydrator.
Not only is it a lot cheaper but you have full control of the portions, ingredients and I imagine most people can throw together a tastier meal than backpackers pantry.
Learning how to modify recipes, manage drying and understand what works takes a bit of time, as learning any new skill does, but once you get the fundamentals down it feels pretty great to start being creative with it.

Often when I make something like shepherds pie, chilli or pasta I'll just make a second (dehydrator friendly) batch, dry it, portion it and stick it in the freezer. Doing this I've built up a pretty good stache to pull from when I don't have extra time to prep for a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Verman posted:

My retired dad has been doing this stuff for years. A lot of it is junk but sometimes you can get some alright stuff. I got a really nice air fryer oven out of it and a bunch of batteries and charger bricks. Not really much that I'd use for backpacking but definitely some stuff you could get for car camping.