Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1690058679754563585

Someone definitely learned which way the wind was blowing.

The face of a man scolded by his mom PR team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Another great week for DC Animated tv.

I love seeing fanboys whine about changes, so Mxyzptlk is making me happy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I greatly enjoyed the Everything Everywhere All At Lois of it all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really need to watch this superman show.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

I really need to watch this superman show.
You really do. Everyone does. It is, without hyperbole, the best adaptation of the character in at least two decades.

Next episode looks more light-hearted, but I'm interested to see what happens with Lois' new knowledge and possession of kryptonite. Is she going to turn around and start keeping secrets from Clark now? She'd better not!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CapnAndy posted:

You really do. Everyone does. It is, without hyperbole, the best adaptation of the character in at least two decades.
It's a good Superman no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above what Tyler Hoechlin is doing on Superman & Lois.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

howe_sam posted:

It's a good Superman no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above what Tyler Hoechlin is doing on Superman & Lois.
Wasn't intended as a diss on Superman & Lois by any means. I like it more than Superman & Lois and also what Supergirl did with him, though, and those are the other two contenders for anything resembling a decent adaptation since JLU went off the air.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I stopped watching Superman and Lois because I didn't like Superman having a boss and also it seemed like the villians were always going to be other kyptonians.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I stopped watching Superman and Lois because I didn't like Superman having a boss and also it seemed like the villians were always going to be other kyptonians.

Season three the villain was Bruno Manheim. (Also breast cancer)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Season three the villain was Bruno Manheim. (Also breast cancer)

But does Superman still have to report to General Lane or some other US Government official who can tell him "No you can't do that"? That was the dumbest thing. Superman should not be bound by any nations laws because he transcends that kind of thinking, and does good for everyone because its the right thing to do.

If Manheim is in it, does that mean the rest of Intergang is there?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For what it's worth, they're cutting the size of the main cast for next season and it sounds like General Lane is gone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

But does Superman still have to report to General Lane or some other US Government official who can tell him "No you can't do that"? That was the dumbest thing. Superman should not be bound by any nations laws because he transcends that kind of thinking, and does good for everyone because its the right thing to do.

I haven't watched until shortly after Manheim is introduced, but Manheim is a rich business man in Harlem supposedly using his money to help the community, but also when Lois and Clark still worked for the Daily Planet they wrote tons of stories tying him to Intergang, but never getting enough proof for criminal charges, so it's implied he's still running Intergang.

I was watching it as a fun show to watch with my mom but the cancer stuff turned us off since my mom is a breast cancer survivor and at the time she was spending a lot of time taking care of my aunt who was dealing with ovarian cancer. I thought what we saw of the cancer stuff was handled fine, it just wasn't the fun escapism we had been looking for. (My aunt is mostly fine now btw).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Onomatopoeia (and Cancer (and Teenage Angst)) are the only other major antagonists of the season

Besides Lex Luthor who shows up at the end of the season, but that's more about setting up next season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, he never worked for General Lane, he worked with General Lane and a decent amount of plot friction was found in that distinction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
General Lane is probably the villain of the current MAWS season.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I will eat any amount of hats if that is not General Lane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disney has delayed some shows. What if? season 2 was moved to December, Echo to January, X-Men 97 to Summer 24 and the Agatha Harkness show got a name change to "Agatha: Darkhold Diaries" and won't air until fall 24. Ironheart, Daredevil and Wonder Man didn't finish filming so they're indefinitely delayed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've been rewatching Cloak & Dagger on Disney+ and I just got to episode 7 of season 1. It's still my favourite bit of Marvel TV.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAL2c0eYYsE

finally

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Loki is back and it continues to be the best looking Marvel TV show just from a production standpoint. Probably helps that just about everything is on actual sets and not just greenscreened/volumed.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I love the aesthetic of the TVA.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The while show is just pandering to my interests. Hiddleston playing Loki ? My jam. A look under the hood of reality? My jam. Legitimately funny stuff, shot and written well? My jam.

It's like they did focus groups, and then said gently caress it, make what mllaneza likes. Needless to say, I'm here for that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OB was great. The episode flew by as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had to laugh when going on Twitter after watching the episode at how many other people also thought about Jenny Nicholson when they saw the Apple Pie Tree in the post credits scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Had to laugh when going on Twitter after watching the episode at how many other people also thought about Jenny Nicholson when they saw the Apple Pie Tree in the post credits scene.

I don't actually get this connection.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I don't actually get this connection.

The McDonalds apple pie tree is a recurring joke for her, and she pledged to buy one when she hit 1mil subs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1712105047696556106?t=UMWe9Hq0IJOoOGERMj88VA&s=19

Well, I mean, this ain't that shocking. Figured we would have had some footage or something already but I guess even by Marvel standards it's bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yet again I am reminded of Surf Dracula.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1712105047696556106?t=UMWe9Hq0IJOoOGERMj88VA&s=19

Well, I mean, this ain't that shocking. Figured we would have had some footage or something already but I guess even by Marvel standards it's bad

the big takeaway is that Marvel is shifting to a more traditional TV production model (pilots, writers' rooms, showrunners, etc) instead of what they've been doing, which is the movie model of shooting the whole thing and then making changes in post-production.

Lots of additional details in this article, including that Secret Invasion unsurprisingly had major behind-the-scenes troubles:

quote:

With Daredevil’s new direction, Marvel hopes to right the ship on a project with sky-high expectations. The show is Marvel’s first to feature a hero who already had a successful series on Netflix, running three seasons. But sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

Marvel plans to keep some scenes and episodes, though other serialized elements will be injected, with Corman and Ord becoming executive producers on the two-season series.

quote:

As its shows ramped up during the pandemic, Marvel stepped outside its usual staffing approach and brought in outside execs after years of internally promoting creatives who had been sufficiently trained in the Marvel method.

This change was felt most severely on Secret Invasion, the Samuel L. Jackson-led thriller that stands as Marvel’s worst-reviewed series. Kyle Bradstreet, a writer and executive producer on USA Network Emmy winner Mr. Robot, had been working on the scripts for Secret Invasion for about a year when he was fired after Marvel decided on a different direction. Enter new writer Brian Tucker, who penned the crime thriller Broken City. Thomas Bezucha, who helmed the thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9/11 drama The Looming Tower, were on board as directors and to help crack the story.

So far, so normal, at least by Marvel’s creative development standards. Details are murky, but what happened next, in the summer of 2022, debilitated the production as factions became entrenched and leaders vied for supremacy during Secret Invasion’s preproduction in London. “It was weeks of people not getting along, and it erupted,” says an insider. Marvel declined to directly comment on the matter.

The company dispatched Jonathan Schwartz, a senior executive and member of Marvel’s creative steering committee known as The Parliament, to get Secret Invasion back on track when it was falling behind schedule and on the verge of losing some actors because of other commitments.

By early September, a good portion of the Invasion team had been replaced, with new line producers, unit production managers and assistant directors. And Bezucha, who was supposed to direct three episodes, left the show because of new scheduling conflicts. The Marvel executive overseeing the show, Chris Gary, was reassigned and, according to sources, is expected to depart Marvel when his contract is up at the end of the year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hope to God Star Wars learns the same lesson.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
SI had the evil minions try to merc their leader because he was unhinged and executed one of them. That's the most realistic thing that has ever happened in Marvel.

Otherwise, a very uninteresting show

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Hope to God Star Wars learns the same lesson.

Star Wars couldn't even make a cohesive trilogy of movies last time, so doubt it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Star Wars couldn't even make a cohesive trilogy of movies last time, so doubt it.

They feel like they could honestly use a Kevin Feige of some sort.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm starting to come around to the idea that while marvel still needs a feige-like creative director it might be time for feige himself to take the golden parachute

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Star Wars' problem just seems to be that nobody really has any original ideas for the series and there's no source material to fall back on so they just wildly fluctuate in trying to pander to fan demand. Like, there's a reason why they're currently mining the old Expanded Universe for ideas.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

site posted:

I'm starting to come around to the idea that while marvel still needs a feige-like creative director it might be time for feige himself to take the golden parachute

Alternatively, they need to reach out into the multiverse and grab a couple extra Feige Variants to keep up with all the workload that a single Feige is clearly not able to juggle alone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Star Wars' problem just seems to be that nobody really has any original ideas for the series and there's no source material to fall back on so they just wildly fluctuate in trying to pander to fan demand. Like, there's a reason why they're currently mining the old Expanded Universe for ideas.

its been talked to death before but the problem with Star Wars is that the original movies were based on a combination of serial pulps, westerns and samurai movies, while modern star wars is based on star wars. its not a coincidence that the star wars series everyone loved before it started falling into the self-reference pit was just Lone Wolf & Cub

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Secret Invasion could have been a good movie/90 min special

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This all sounds like a good thing moving forward, but just to be clear:

https://twitter.com/itsmekelechi/status/1712158932582748171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as it wasn't the end of the series I'm guessing that this week's Loki is going to involve a do over of last week. Especially with all the murder going on.