Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christian churches are traditionally in basilicas which is basically a shopping mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ive heard that roko’s basilica is haunting and unforgettable

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any church that doesn't have stained glass windows is automatically heretical regardless of any theological complexities.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Also if you were the type who would be hauling around a bunch of gold, you were probably using bank deposits and credit instead of coins.

There was money exchange, but in most places there was some sort of culturally dominant state whose coins became the de facto common currency. Roman coins would spend anywhere in the empire's periphery. Chinese coins were the same in their region of Asia.

Since the coinage is based on precious metals you could generally use it anywhere that people knew what it was worth.

Did they do that in the Roman era? Because I know that towards the end of medieval times you had the rise of banks in the form of widespread merchant republics and also knightly orders trying to assist pilgrims by allowing them to put in a deposit and withdraw at their destination. I never heard of anything earlier than that.

Or was it a thing that was more popular during the height of the empire and either Christianity or the decay of the empire put an end to so it had to be reinvented?

Triskelli posted:

That seems real dumb, since even a debased coin could buy you more stuff than the gold or silver that's in it. Not that it didn't happen, but just that it seems like more trouble than spending it.

I assume that depends on whatever state that created the coin, how well they're doing, how respected they are. It seems like there were concerns out there about currency debasement every so often, so re-minting would be a way to reset things. And a big ol' state like the Byzantine Empire may get its coins accepted far and wide, but some dipshit dead king of nowheresania a thousand miles away, why should you trust his coins to be any good? Also when coins get cut up too much, I feel like people might not want to accept them at face value any more. I know there was a trick of crimping the edges to snag some extra metal.

But also every so often people are going to just want to have gold or silver to use for jewelry and stuff, and that's a simple way to get the stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Going off of basilicas I just just read the entire Constantine Wikipedia page and boy that is a doozy. He is antisemitic persecutions are described in the passive voice

Assassinating his son and wife is treated as a who knows mystery ? Maybe they were loving ?

Also this is added in with no citation

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did they do that in the Roman era? Because I know that towards the end of medieval times you had the rise of banks in the form of widespread merchant republics and also knightly orders trying to assist pilgrims by allowing them to put in a deposit and withdraw at their destination. I never heard of anything earlier than that.

Yep. They had deposits and loans and credit and all the stuff you'd expect. Shipping insurance was a major financial institution too, and selling stock in companies as well as specific ventures. A lot of temples provided banking services, but there were also just banks too.

It does seem to have disappeared in late antiquity. Either because the economy didn't support it anymore, the fact that a lot of banking was done in temples that were now pagan and bad, or some of both.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. They had deposits and loans and credit and all the stuff you'd expect. Shipping insurance was a major financial institution too, and selling stock in companies as well as specific ventures. A lot of temples provided banking services, but there were also just banks too.

It does seem to have disappeared in late antiquity. Either because the economy didn't support it anymore, the fact that a lot of banking was done in temples that were now pagan and bad, or some of both.

Hell, Sumerians were doing commodity futures trading, leveraging grain debt in all sorts of speculative ways. Cuneiform tablets are loaded with complicated financial transactions based on expected grain harvests and deliveries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Deteriorata posted:

Hell, Sumerians were doing commodity futures trading, leveraging grain debt in all sorts of speculative ways. Cuneiform tablets are loaded with complicated financial transactions based on expected grain harvests and deliveries.

Yep. A lot of these ideas are kind of obvious and get re-invented whenever a society's economy gets large and sophisticated enough. Once you have ventures that cost more than a person can reasonably supply or even physically carry around, you have to start getting creative.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm personally in the camp that money & debt are older than writing (though not in a strict mechanics sense - it looks to me like money and debt and such existed in Sumeria before cuneiform developed, but I can't speak to e.g. Mesoamerica).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A medium of exchange is a very useful tool

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

Christian churches are traditionally in basilicas which is basically a shopping mall

If this is in jest, fine, but if not: no. The basilica was not a thing for a long time. "Churches" were not what we think of as church buildings right now. Early christians assembled in large homes or sort of communal residences with a gathering room.
With Rome, the argentarii are fascinating because they were government contractors. These contractors were private companies or individuals, but contracted to the state, offering money exchange, money counting, foreign currency, various credits and debt solutions to the public. From what i understand the rich didn't really use the argentarii. Argentarii even competed for contracts, but were not really used by the rich or powerful, but acted as a service to the lower classes.

There were also the Mensarii who were state-bankers and not private contractors, but I am more unclear in how they were used. I know that the Mensarii were able to offer significant mortgage-type loans to low class farmers and tradesmen who would otherwise be far removed and well beyond that money.

Edit: now that I look at wikipedia, it says Roman bankers and contractors were plebeian origin and not optimates, which I was not aware off. I guess I gotta buy the book in the footnote.

Edit edit: gently caress I ordered the book. Banking and Business in the Roman World by Jean Andreau.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well yeah they were repressed until the 300s

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

That’s not what a basilica means in a Catholic context. It’s just a designation that means that building has some sort of significance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
to be fair, if our (German) basilicas tried to become shopping malls, at least they would have more people in them :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

A medium of exchange is a very useful tool

I got a co-worker who near everyday talks about how the dollar's gonna collapse when Biden moves us all to federal bitcoins, she's playing that redpill revolt podcast everyday she ain't coherent, and we're going to have to move back to bartering and she's preparing. I just look at her and eventually point out that we're both baker's working for a billion dollar corp, we don't got any control of the inputs for our labor. I don't have a flour mill or the acres to grow it, I can't make you a loving loaf of bread despite having the skills to do it unless I got some flour. So either we as a society need an exchange medium or godawful future contracts where I'm forced to use my labor in exchange for a portion of the output in exchange for the input which puts my labor at a severe bargaining disadvantage.

It's exhausting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've got friends who go on about money being not real and how we should get rid of it. I normally tune them out until they come back to a reasonable topic.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Squizzle posted:

that is an ambitious reading of the text

Well, that's because the Gospels don't explain the context of why they were exchanging coins and selling doves and other animals in the Temple. Edgar Allan Ho is correct, the Temple had not become a shopping mall, people were selling animals to sacrifice during Passover because Jews from all across Judaea and further afield--who could not feasibly bring animals with them to Jerusalem--needed animals to sacrifice. And, as EAH said, it was blasphemous to use Roman coinage, so they had moneychangers to exchange Roman coins for acceptable Jewish ones. For a fee, of course. So Jesus was mad that people were profiting within and because of the Temple cult, but it wasn't like people were heading up to the Temple to buy new drip.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gaius Marius posted:

I got a co-worker who near everyday talks about how the dollar's gonna collapse when Biden moves us all to federal bitcoins, she's playing that redpill revolt podcast everyday she ain't coherent, and we're going to have to move back to bartering and she's preparing. I just look at her and eventually point out that we're both baker's working for a billion dollar corp, we don't got any control of the inputs for our labor. I don't have a flour mill or the acres to grow it, I can't make you a loving loaf of bread despite having the skills to do it unless I got some flour. So either we as a society need an exchange medium or godawful future contracts where I'm forced to use my labor in exchange for a portion of the output in exchange for the input which puts my labor at a severe bargaining disadvantage.

It's exhausting.

Well then when this inevitably happens (lol) she'll have the joy of being right and also surely when the collapse comes everyone will hate Biden as much as she presumably does.

I had a crazy conspiracy lady I worked with for a while and it was indescribably unpleasant. You have my sympathies.

I wonder what kind of things these people would have fixated on in the ancient world. Aside from the inscrutable and perfidious Jews / Saracens / lepers, I mean. Like, was there some dude who was completely and totally convinced that Antinous had faked his death and was still alive and some guy that he knew said he saw Antinous changing horses several towns over?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mad Hamish posted:

Well then when this inevitably happens (lol) she'll have the joy of being right and also surely when the collapse comes everyone will hate Biden as much as she presumably does.

I had a crazy conspiracy lady I worked with for a while and it was indescribably unpleasant. You have my sympathies.

I wonder what kind of things these people would have fixated on in the ancient world. Aside from the inscrutable and perfidious Jews / Saracens / lepers, I mean. Like, was there some dude who was completely and totally convinced that Antinous had faked his death and was still alive and some guy that he knew said he saw Antinous changing horses several towns over?

Nero truthers. A couple random guys rose to prominence in the generation after Nero’s death because they somehow managed to convince people they were him. At least the time frame was still remotely plausible, but even in Augustine’s day people apparently still believed Nero would be coming back at some point!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

skasion posted:

but even in Augustine’s day people apparently still believed Nero would be coming back at some point!

The Marble Neckbeard

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Mad Hamish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_Redivivus_legend

You could probably make a fair comparison between these guys and the Q nuts who think JFK is about to come back, if you squint

edit: skasion beat me to it :argh:

Owl at Home fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 21, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also mystery cults and early Christian sects contained a lot of wingnuttery of which we can now access only glimpses

Like the Elchasaites who apparently claimed they received their revelations from the Son of God, who was an angel 96 miles tall, accompanied by his sister, the Holy Ghost, also 96 miles tall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's exhausting.
This would be More Moral. Ignore that I'm saying this as the local macher who can afford to advance you a pallet of flour or something.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

skasion posted:

Nero truthers. A couple random guys rose to prominence in the generation after Nero’s death because they somehow managed to convince people they were him. At least the time frame was still remotely plausible, but even in Augustine’s day people apparently still believed Nero would be coming back at some point!

I saw the secretly-still-alive Antinous and Nero making babies in the closet, and I saw one of the babies, and the baby looked at me and called me a credulous fool for supporting the greens over the blues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vahakyla posted:

Edit: now that I look at wikipedia, it says Roman bankers and contractors were plebeian origin and not optimates, which I was not aware off. I guess I gotta buy the book in the footnote.

This is a little thing, but I wouldn't put too much weight into Patrician/Plebeian divisions here; much of what comes down to us about the early Republic is highly contradictory on the topic, and by the Middle Republic the distinction has effectively no meaning at all beyond candidacy for the Plebeian Tribunate. What matters at that point is much more wealth and status based (see the emergence of the nobiles) rather than any hereditary division going back to the Kings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Also mystery cults and early Christian sects contained a lot of wingnuttery of which we can now access only glimpses

Like the Elchasaites who apparently claimed they received their revelations from the Son of God, who was an angel 96 miles tall, accompanied by his sister, the Holy Ghost, also 96 miles tall.

Did that develop into a bloody schism with those heretics who believed the Son of God and Holy Spirit were merely 95 miles tall

:thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

zoux posted:

Did that develop into a bloody schism with those heretics who believed the Son of God and Holy Spirit were merely 95 miles tall

:thunk:

I mean its clearly fantasy but also p funny to portray 3 very famously maritime civilizations as having pretty minimal coastlines.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Banking is one of those things that doesn't filter into Roman pop-history as much as it should, in large part because of its disproportionately minor role in Roman works of literature and history, which were written by and large by aristocrats who had an aversion to talking about vulgar topics like commerce. Most of the direct evidence for Roman commerce comes from papyrology and archaeology, and both of those fields are a lot more technical, and more insular, than traditional methods of Roman history, and tend to be overlooked in pop-history.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tulip posted:

I mean its clearly fantasy but also p funny to portray 3 very famously maritime civilizations as having pretty minimal coastlines.

And also to show the coastlines with two-masted, square-rigged ships when all 3 of them were famous for rather different ship types.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Buddhist monasteries got big into banking and it was really hilarious (to me) to read through Chinese and Asian history and realize that a lotta dynasties followed the same "religious minority with wealth" pattern that you see in Europe in regards to Jewish moneylenders. Encouragement, oh poo poo we're in debt and need cash, purge the monastaries and seize wealth, oh poo poo we're in debt and need cash, encourage buddishm and get more money, etc.

https://www.asianstudies.org/public...dern-east-asia/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CrypticFox posted:

. Most of the direct evidence for Roman commerce comes from papyrology and archaeology,

Those Egyptian sources are pretty well known, everyone has heard of the banks of the Nile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beards Pompeii goes into the nitty gritty of the medium sized town banking from the evidence discovered

Iirc one of the bankers was an ex slave who had an office and they found some of his accounting books

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I can’t put it enough into words how much mundane government public worker bureaucracy of Rome hypes me up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tell me more about chapter 7

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc she talks about the brothels

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This is the town that gave us “goodbye wondrous femininity” after all

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny I associate Wei more with Rome and Wu more with Greece. But on this map they're switched. Shu Han doesn't seem Viking to me at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ivar, named « Boneless » after his father Ragnar spiked him headfirst into the ground and broke him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Funny I associate Wei more with Rome and Wu more with Greece. But on this map they're switched. Shu Han doesn't seem Viking to me at all.

If Liu Bei were a Viking he would have wound up in Greenland