Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
had to search because I wasn't sure I remembered it correct but this really is the cherry on top of the whole fanfic thread

Carpator Diei posted:

I think you're being extremely uncharitable in general here, but this is what I particularly take issue with. As someone who mostly suspends opinions on the unnamed-creator thesis (mostly because I feel like this thesis is something so personal that it doesn't depend on anyone else's approval), this thread in general is legitimately the best interpretation of themes and storytelling methods in videogames I've ever encountered, and I don't think that hinges on whether the premise behind it is correct. To be more precise, it's the first interpretation of the FromSoft games I've found that, by my estimate, really takes these games seriously as works of art, with all that this entails.

I can get wanting to dive deep into some media work, draw connections between everything, go bonkers into lore arguments and discussions, but outright admitting that being completely wrong about the central claims doesn't diminish the work put in is truly insane thinking.

Either you build up to a point with all your cites and explanations, or you are writing alt history fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Psycho Landlord posted:

Dragon's Dogma is one of the best fantasy action games of all time. Absolutely play it.

One of the classes gets a power where they just set themselves on fire and then you go climb all over the giant monster you're fighting and cause problems for it while your pawns try to break its shins.

dragon's dogma is like peering into an alternate dimension where rpgs went a completely different direction

game has its flaws but man is it worth a playthrough or two

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pentyne posted:

had to search because I wasn't sure I remembered it correct but this really is the cherry on top of the whole fanfic thread

I can get wanting to dive deep into some media work, draw connections between everything, go bonkers into lore arguments and discussions, but outright admitting that being completely wrong about the central claims doesn't diminish the work put in is truly insane thinking.

Either you build up to a point with all your cites and explanations, or you are writing alt history fanfiction.

this is what fanfic does to a poster.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

pentyne posted:

Endorph starts here, it goes on a bit more but its a very direct call out to the insane theorycrafting poo poo.
Of all the corkboard & string theories I can recall on SA, this is the one I most wish had a kernel of truth.

Shoemaker and the Elves, set in JRPG development. It's beautiful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dragon's dogma is like peering into an alternate dimension where rpgs went a completely different direction

game has its flaws but man is it worth a playthrough or two

This sums it up. I somehow got distracted and never beat the last boss, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of cool moments and solid gameplay.

But make sure to turn off the mini cutscenes for pawn spells.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

tbf, Stephen King originally lambasted Kubrick's version of The Shining, which rules, and there was a terrible made-for-tv version he appended his name to soooo

Kubrick ruined the emotional heart of King's novel, it's reasonable he didn't like it. The fun part is that King was so upset by Kubrick's version he had to write Doctor Sleep to take his own story back and make it his once again. Then Mike Flanagan got to adapt Doctor Sleep to film, but had to do it in the continuity of Kubrick's Shining which King intentionally goes gently caress you to in Doctor Sleep. (So Flanagan tied it all together by having Danny take on Jack's role from the Shining book and using that to finish off the Doctor Sleep plotline, which is some smart fuckin continuity fixing.)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Stephen King's reaction to the incredibly mean-spirited ending in that 2000s The Mist movie was "drat I shoulda thought of that" which is hilarious and also a good reminder I don't need to read most of his books

pog boyfriend posted:

that ending pwns and stephen king was spitting for that. game recognize game

that ending was good + a powerful own

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

king is not really always a good author and kubrick has made some stinkers.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

king is not really always a good author and kubrick has made some stinkers.

yes no

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I didn’t care for Doctor Sleep. I thought Midnight Mass was pretty good though

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i'm not a very big fan of spartacus or eyes wide shut, i'll be honest. for my money barry lyndon is his best and a seriously underrated film.

it's not like he's a bad director at all, just that no artist hits a 100 percent of the time. king barely bats .275 though, the good is really good, but he put out a lot of bad poo poo by being super prolific.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
New thread title imo

quote:

legitimately the best interpretation of themes and storytelling methods in videogames I've ever encountered

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

NoiseAnnoys posted:

king barely bats .275 though, the good is really good, but he put out a lot of bad poo poo by being super prolific.

This is why his short fiction is way better than his novels. The good poo poo is still good, he hits enough that every collection has at least a couple of total bangers, and the bad poo poo is like five pages long. A lot of his dumber ideas also just work better when they're short and punchy instead of having to support a whole novel.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

that ending was good + a powerful own

with two votes to 1 its official: the ending to the mist is win.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

re: King i've only read Misery (pretty deec) and Pet Semetary (a mess), always wanted to read the OG Shining since i love the movie tho

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

This is why his short fiction is way better than his novels. The good poo poo is still good, he hits enough that every collection has at least a couple of total bangers, and the bad poo poo is like five pages long. A lot of his dumber ideas also just work better when they're short and punchy instead of having to support a whole novel.

oh hell yeah. also, king's essays about the craft of writing are great.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

'salems lot is my favorite novel of his. kings short story comps are way better then most of his other full-length stuff though, and that's from a constant reader

pog boyfriend posted:

that ending pwns and stephen king was spitting for that. game recognize game

facts

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i'm not a very big fan of spartacus or eyes wide shut, i'll be honest. for my money barry lyndon is his best and a seriously underrated film.

it's not like he's a bad director at all, just that no artist hits a 100 percent of the time. king barely bats .275 though, the good is really good, but he put out a lot of bad poo poo by being super prolific.

I have taken the ribbon from around my neck and hidden it somewhere on my person. If you find it, you can have it. You are free to look for it any way you will, and I will think very little of you if you do not find it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have taken the ribbon from around my neck and hidden it somewhere on my person. If you find it, you can have it. You are free to look for it any way you will, and I will think very little of you if you do not find it.

it is so good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the first 2/3rds of barry lyndon is my favorite movie. kubrick is great at making the first two acts of a movie

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
My favorite D&D paladin was an amnesiac soul trapped in a suit of massive armor that was very scary and intimidating and would often win fights with Intimidation checks (including once making every non-Fear immune soldier on a battlefield surrender from a crit success Intimidation check) who would then go home to be bullied by small animals who thought they were a great sleeping place.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I was just joshing. Spartacus works for me since it was my first sword n sandal movie as a kid but yeah it's pretty dated.

I really liked eyes wide shut, but I think part of it is that he didn't have his final cut, since the movie was rushed out the door after he died so it's slightly rough.

Barry Lyndon rules.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the whole movie owns. i like his son who is like the only character in the film able to express emotions normally and is constantly appalled at what the gently caress everyone else is doing

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My favorite paladin was a baby onion with a sword

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the whole movie owns. i like his son who is like the only character in the film able to express emotions normally and is constantly appalled at what the gently caress everyone else is doing

my personal favorite is the highway man, captain freeny (based on the historical figure james freney) who robs barry on the road. total bit part, but just delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woO1Cs6c-oo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Al! posted:

the first 2/3rds of barry lyndon is my favorite movie. kubrick is great at making the first two acts of a movie

King is the same in writing, so explains the hate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vanity Fair posted:

"I had just put the casket in the hearse and I was watching it drive away when a beautiful blonde woman comes up and embraces me," Ryan told me. "I said to her, 'You have a drink on you? You have a car?' She said, 'Daddy, it's me--Tatum!' I was just trying to be funny with a strange Swedish woman, and it's my daughter. It's so sick."

"That's our relationship in a nutshell," Tatum said when I asked her about it. "You make of it what you will." She sighed. "It had been a few years since we'd seen each other, and he was always a ladies' man, a bon vivant."

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Dongicus posted:

nofriendo entertainment system

:hmmwrong:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
've been running a manual out of season ff5 Fiesta run to get my groove back... blue mage ftw

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I think my favorite paladin I've played was the one who was a former gladiatorial slave-turned-superstar who got religion to try and give her life meaning after buying her freedom, but kept on murderhoboing because it paid the bills. She looked textbook glossy-armor/shining-sword but turned into a dirty pit fighter the moment a fight got serious.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They should change the name to "protection from planar bullshit."

I once played with a paladin who insisted on knocking before raiding an abandoned mansion full of bandits.

"It's what my character would do."
"Then your character is a moron."

imagine the hell that is playing tabletop with any goals that aren't "play the absolute worst character imaginable" and "have fun with your fellow players trying to make the DM lose their cool and call you a slur"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heated tabletop gamer moment

rolling on an elaborate sequence of d100 tables to determine slur strength

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
rolling a 1 and having to use nincompoop

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I once got a full-throated "gently caress YOU" from a player for stealing a setpiece from a module for an entirely different game and putting it in a homebrew game I was running

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

very risky blowjob posted:

imagine the hell that is playing tabletop with any goals that aren't "play the absolute worst character imaginable" and "have fun with your fellow players trying to make the DM lose their cool and call you a slur"

The DM was totally fine with us wiping. The rest of the party was not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I didn’t care for Doctor Sleep. I thought Midnight Mass was pretty good though

These were mike flannagan

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

These were mike flannagan

Yes.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Midnight mass kept cracking me up when the male lead was making super precious faces on the couch. Was good though. Love an island setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i've seen a lot of movies