Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

The main viewscreen can be seen clearly from all duty stations.
Can it? Because engineering and science are crammed into a corner on the same wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

Can it? Because engineering and science are crammed into a corner on the same wall, and everyone else is facing away from it if they're actually doing any work.

To be fair, Engineering and Science should have more important things to focus on than who the Captain's arguing with on the phone.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

McSpanky posted:

I'm not sure widescreen would help, Voyager's bridge was just bizarrely laid out, on top of being wider than it was long:

Someone tried really hard to do "different" without thinking of what would look good on-screen.

What the hell is that little panel behind the captain?.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The Voyager bridge has a nice conversation pit at the helm where you can hang out in and make fun of Harry from across the room

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

What the hell is that little panel behind the captain?.

That's the "Tuvok needs to be in this shot" station IIRC

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

People stranded in extreme isolating conditions for a lot less than than seven years are dramatically changed by what they needed to become to survive. That doesn't even mean the crew needed to become bad people or wholly abandon their Starfleet identities (which isn't what he said, anyway), just that it feels like their experience actually happened and had an appropriate impact on them. With the exception of the Kes/Seven switch, you could shuffle most Voyager episodes like a deck of cards and not guess what season they're from based solely on character development.

I didn't say that the concept was illogical or anything. It absolutely would be reasonable for that to have happened. My point was that watching people abandon their principles isn't why I watch Star Trek. And would not be good star trek that I would want to watch.

And I know of no other way to interpret "Starfleet wouldn't even recognize them" besides "abandon their starfleet identities". Like, that's what those words mean.

Also when you add in that apparently he wanted to do star trek: BSG, it absolutely would have been full of bad people thinking their good people doing bad things in bad situations. Which is like, 80% of BSG.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love the SNW bridge. But then, I love the whole ship. Even though it seems ridiculously luxurious. That Captain Condo!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

The Voyager bridge has a nice conversation pit at the helm where you can hang out in and make fun of Harry from across the room

But why do it from across the room, when you can just do it to his face?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's easier to deal with him sulking in a corner while he watches Paris get promoted for the third time in a row.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The SNW bridge is too big, Pike can't have a nice casual conversation with most of the stations without actually getting up and going over there, or calling across a huge gap. Kirk could chat with Uhura no problem.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

You'd think the span of the room would mean he couldn't hear but he can.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's because Pike has deep personal relationships with his staff, he wants to get up and go over there. The bridge manifests as big when he is in command

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The SNW bridge is too big, Pike can't have a nice casual conversation with most of the stations without actually getting up and going over there, or calling across a huge gap. Kirk could chat with Uhura no problem.

Everything on the ship is big. Compare sick bay in TOS to SNW.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They need that space in case Kurtzman shows up on set and demands they do a shot with wildly whirling cameras

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Speaking of bridge Neelix plopping down next to Janeway is just wrong.

Unrelated

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Nah, Ron Moore had a pretty okay grasp for the most part (although there's a few exceptions). It's not like he would've taken Voyager full BSG dark or anything like that. There was just a lot of ideas and elements he thought should've been on Voyager that were extended into more extreme versions in the darker BSG premise. The idea of the ship becoming something a bit different as it becomes a permanent home is a great idea.

Yes, I can agree on the fact that Moore has some correct points about what should have been in Voyager the series (some persistent, even if only superficial damage, few times per season changes to crew besides top billed, as people get injured/die/leave/stay behind) but I wouldn't trust Ron Moore to make it as I have seen BSG.

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad irony about Moore's BSG journey is that by the end of that show he kind of became just as big of a slapdash hack as he'd derided Rick Berman for being a decade earlier. He became the thing he hated.

Hah, had Berman or Matalas pulled a similar stunt to "Delirious from being kicked around I am playing a nursery rhyme I heard several times as a child to a tone dial phone making my ship to magically jump to unknown coordinates that happen to match the high Earth orbit at the last possible moment" the Star Trek fans would have burned the Paramount offices.

I mean, that is a too stupid rear end-pull even for Picard for Christ's sake. And that show had tentacle monsters from robot dimension.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 21, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lexx is a better voyager

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, I can agree on the fact that Moore has some correct points about what should have been in Voyager the series (some persistent, even if only superficial damage, few times per season changes to crew besides top billed, as people get injured/die/leave/stay behind) but I wouldn't trust Ron Moore to make it as I have seen BSG.

Hah, had Berman or Matalas pulled a similar stunt to "Delirious from being kicked around I am playing a nursery rhyme I heard several times as a child to a tone dial phone making my ship to magically jump to unknown coordinates that happen to match the high Earth orbit at the last possible moment" the Star Trek fans would have burned the Paramount offices.

I mean, that is a too stupid rear end-pull even for Picard for Christ's sake. And that show had tentacle monsters from robot dimension.

The robot tentacle death rape dimension was Michael Chabon's hackery at work. If you're gonna attack Matalas for something, the borg cum woke mind virus rear end-pull was his baby. And yes, it is up there with Starbuck plugging the notes to All Along The Watchtower by Bob Dylan into the computer and the computer translating it to spatial cooordinates and those coordinates magically lining up with where Earth's moon was at that exact point in time, 100,000 years before Dylan ever wrote All Along The Watchtower.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I mean, that is a too stupid rear end-pull even for Picard for Christ's sake.

Lets not get too excessive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

And yes, it is up there with Starbuck plugging the notes to All Along The Watchtower by Bob Dylan into the computer and the computer translating it to spatial cooordinates and those coordinates magically lining up with where Earth's moon was at that exact point in time, 100,000 years before Dylan ever wrote All Along The Watchtower.

It's extremely dumb but she punches the number string in from the paper where she'd been translating the music into numerical notation to try to find meaning in it, they set out up for her to copy. (Also, it wasn't All Along the Watchtower, it was the Final Five theme, that just got used as the prelude to Watchtower a few times)

It's kinda weird how you're all framing that lining up with Earth as a weird coincidence when it's explicitly a literal act of god in the show. Yeah it's a bad ending but for some reason nerddom is so grumpy about the religion plot in BSG they actively refuse to acknowledge its existence in a really odd way and just kinda reframe the show as though it wasn't there. It was god, one of the main characters was literally an angel, and Ron Moore just dramatically overestimated how willing the audience would be to have all that in their sci-fi.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did... they not know what show he was remaking? The 70s one has episodes where the main villain is just literally the Devil, actual Lucifer, doing devil stuff like tricking people into worshipping him. He turns into a monster with all horns on!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dabir posted:

Did... they not know what show he was remaking? The 70s one has episodes where the main villain is just literally the Devil, actual Lucifer, doing devil stuff like tricking people into worshipping him. He turns into a monster with all horns on!

The reboot tried to be a gritty down to earth ultra realistic show about Hard Men making Hard Choices, AND a zany 1970s soap opera where God and angels and demons were real and everything was per-ordained by the hand of fate, and people got on board for the first half of that premise and just got more and more weirded out as the second half of that premise just took over the show.

The OG show's premise was "Mormonism is the way of the future!" and the reboot's premise was "No, it's Catholicism, you heathens!"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dabir posted:

It was sold as "there is an actual plan" and "you'll get it at the end" like Lost, and then the actual plan was "asspull a number string from an intro to a popular song that was written into the story".

It might as well been the Archangels Michael and Raphael showing up in space and carrying the ship to the final destination that was the True Earth and New Eden, which just happened to be one jump away all the time.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 21, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

It was sold as "the is an actual plan" and "you'll get it at the end" like Lost, and then the actual plan was "asspull a number string from an intro to a popular song that was written into the story".

It might as well been the Archangels Michael and Raphael showing up in space and carrying the ship to the final destination that was the True Earth, which just happened to be one jump away all the time.

To be fair, RDM wanted the plot to center around a Hendrix song right from the end of Season 1 and it was originally going to be Purple Haze, and the writers room nearly hurled Moore out the nearest window when he originally proposed it. So he either just ground them down to accepting his batshit "the key to everything is this Hendrix song!" idea or eventually replaced them with a crew of jobbers who'd do what they were told like Matalas did to Picard's writers room.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shaka, scales from eyes

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Timby posted:

Fun fact:

That sounds fun, what episode was that?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hollismason posted:

They've probably child locked portions of Voyager for Harry Kim has he ever been able to use the holodeck. I bet he's stuck using the holodeck that the kid used where its some bizarre childs game.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

delaney-sisters-hott-risa-simul-riker-bonus_x.hol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

McSpanky posted:

I'm not sure widescreen would help, Voyager's bridge was just bizarrely laid out, on top of being wider than it was long:

Someone tried really hard to do "different" without thinking of what would look good on-screen.

The pseudo cubicles is what really baffles me. It’s just such a bad idea for a set that is used 90% for the actors having conversations from their chairs. Have you ever tried to have a conversation where you have to shout from your cubicle to your coworkers? It’s awkward even without having to worry about if the camera can get us both in shot.

But the religious stuff in BSG was awesome and was there from the start. And there was never a point where it stopped happening so it’s bizarre that people think it “came outta nowhere”. I legit wonder if it was Bush era fedora atheism getting mad that it wasn’t all revealed at the end to have had a scientific explanation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

galagazombie posted:

The pseudo cubicles is what really baffles me. It’s just such a bad idea for a set that is used 90% for the actors having conversations from their chairs. Have you ever tried to have a conversation where you have to shout from your cubicle to your coworkers? It’s awkward even without having to worry about if the camera can get us both in shot.

But the religious stuff in BSG was awesome and was there from the start. And there was never a point where it stopped happening so it’s bizarre that people think it “came outta nowhere”. I legit wonder if it was Bush era fedora atheism getting mad that it wasn’t all revealed at the end to have had a scientific explanation.

My office has a window into the main room, and the boss's kid's office has a window into the main room and we just shout at eachother like old people.

Also the religious stuff was there but it was the bad guy's thing. It was the cylon's holy war. It wasn't presented as something serious. The whole tagline is basically "The cylons have a plan" not "God's plan"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lee Adama is responsible for the final destruction of space fairing human civilization and the loss of thousands of years of culture because he just couldn't imagine a better world

This same guy hosed his dead brother's widow and she blinked out of existence

BSG's greatest achievement and biggest crime was convincing us it was a classier show than it was

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

And they all had sex with the hairy primates. The End

cut to

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tighclops posted:

BSG's greatest achievement and biggest crime was convincing us it was a classier show than it was

True.

BUT.

The adama maneuver is still one of the best sci fi space ship scenes ever done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn Neelix and Kes relationship will never not be creepy. This episode Kes is going through puberty? because of uh.. space worms and is like "Mate with me Neelix"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

True.

BUT.

The adama maneuver is still one of the best sci fi space ship scenes ever done.

It was a great journey while it was on, only at the end did it become clear there had never been a real plan for the show. And yes, Exodus part 2 was one of the best episodes of any scifi show I've ever seen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Really agravated that we never learn the secret of Janeways holonovel where she's a governess. I always assumed the mother was alive and being kept in the attic because she was crazy or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, RDM wanted the plot to center around a Hendrix song right from the end of Season 1 and it was originally going to be Purple Haze, and the writers room nearly hurled Moore out the nearest window when he originally proposed it. So he either just ground them down to accepting his batshit "the key to everything is this Hendrix song!" idea or eventually replaced them with a crew of jobbers who'd do what they were told like Matalas did to Picard's writers room.

I'd say the writer's strike happened, and nobody was in the room to stop him at the time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say the writer's strike happened, and nobody was in the room to stop him at the time.

Apparently BSG actually somehow wasn't effected by the writers strike?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The BSG finale with them settling Earth v2 and going agrarian would've worked much better if they'd just leaned in on the breakdown of the fleet harder, made it very clear that they'd lost the ability to maintain an industrial civilisation and didn't have the base they needed to keep it.

They had pre-justification with their inability to have a proper city on New Caprica: living at that density produced the usual increased disease spread and stuff that you always have to handle in a city but because they were just going off what medicine they'd saved they were rapidly running short.

Stuff was there to make the regression makes sense, they just didn't show it properly.

CainFortea posted:

Also the religious stuff was there but it was the bad guy's thing. It was the cylon's holy war. It wasn't presented as something serious. The whole tagline is basically "The cylons have a plan" not "God's plan"

God's plan and the Cylon's holy war were explicitly different, though. It's implied by the end that the Cylons had been able to glimpse something real about God on a higher level but then built their own flawed religion around it to justify their genocide.

And it was clear from the start that whatever was happening religiously involved the Colonials too. Roslin literally had visions of Leoben before she met him and her entire storyline was entangled with the prophecies of her death.

galagazombie posted:

NX-01 pulled the cubicle idea off much better, with the two back consoles in the circle (T'pol and Reed, I think) having work panels that faced the captain normally but also being able to swing around to a big wall of screens and controls behind them.

It's funny how they went with all those 4:3 screens when it was the first show that was filmed in 16:9, the writing was on the wall.

Maybe they should've just thrown it to the wind and made all the screens 1:1. Can't look dated if you just go completely off standard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Speaking of bridge Neelix plopping down next to Janeway is just wrong.

Unrelated

Those CGI characters look really unhappy to be in this game.