Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hey now, my party of four farmed out rear end with a dancer and a red mage.

We did wonder why the guides said we'd probably just skip the last couple mechanics of the final boss, though :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Honestly, I think I'd have preferred a 5e or Pathfinder cash grab, especially Pathfinder, if only because it'd be easier to slot in and use.

I mean, yeah, gently caress WotC, but I'd definitely have an easier time getting a 5e game going than a new system, and I would kill to be able to play my Roegadude Gunbreaker in a Pathfinder Society game.

I actually didn't want it to be just a 5e module, because that would be putting the least amount of 'new' into the world for the idea.

There's already a full homebrew splatbook for FFXIV stuff in 5e that I found with a halfhearted google search, but it's honestly not even needed since FFXIV's setting is already so close to D&D that you don't even need to take that long a walk to get there. But building an entire tabletop game to instead better fit the feel of FFXIV? Sure, that's got every chance to suck, but at least it's sonething I haven't seen before.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dawntrail spoilers

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i am also farming out my rear end

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just saw that Square-Enix had sent another survey to me two days ago by email. It was asking my thoughts on the recent Fan Fest in Las Vegas. I didn't attend, but I definitely enjoyed talking about events as they happened with you folks.

That said, unless they radically increase production quality for their venues, I don't expect to attend a Fan Fest personally. Outside of the information drops and how intense the energy in the room felt by attendees, I have heard nothing but horror stories about how lackluster and ill-prepared the event was. As much as I enjoy the game, they need to step up their game with their live events now. The game has been out for over ten years now, more counting 1.0, and there are millions of people playing the game. They need to properly plan how many people want to attend and act accordingly.

Frankly, with how bad the physical event in Vegas sounded, I'm curious how bad they'll screw up the EU Fan Fest. Demand for tickets was already incredibly large, and they've got a smaller venue and population of attendees than NA. Will this help, or will it turn out even worse?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
We run RPR, MCH and AST in our criterion and still skip the difficult mechanics, the current criterion is absurdly-undertuned

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Making criterion drop savage gear would then make it be seen as mandatory during prog by the community, even if it really isn't. They are 100% looking at what happened in WoW when blizzard made it so that you needed to do two out of three endgame activities to fill out your weekly checklist to get the most gear possible and how much grief that caused.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 21, 2023

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mister Olympus posted:

Making criterion drop savage gear would then make it be seen as mandatory during prog by the community, even if it really isn't. They are 100% looking at what happened in WoW when blizzard made it so that you needed to do two out of three endgame activities to fill out your weekly checklist to get the most gear possible and how much grief that caused.

Not if criterion comes out months after the tier released.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, as long as Criterion keeps coming out on .X5 patches, dropping Savage 8-player or Augmented 24-player gear wouldn't be as big of an impact. That said, I only just noticed while double checking the name for the next one, Aloalo Island, they're already not doing that since it comes out with 6.51.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I mean 6.5 doesn’t have prog content so adding gear to criterion also doesn’t matter then either

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SE is just weird about gear. There's no reason alliance raid gear is 10 levels below savage / upgraded either.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'd just be happy if they dropped tomestone gear upgrade tokens so I don't have to run the 24mans a thousand times.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The big thing they should also do with criterion is make every boss drop tokens and then have the final boss just drop more + chance at the mount (as it currently does) so it doesn’t feel as bad killing bosses for no reward during prog. Even if they just dropped tokens from the variant it would feel 100% better since you can marketboard that stuff.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

I'd just be happy if they dropped tomestone gear upgrade tokens so I don't have to run the 24mans a thousand times.

This would be pretty nice! I am definitely not a fan of having had to do 30 Aglaias for coins. And Aglaia is my favorite alliance raid!

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

An alternative gearing path like the armor sets from Bozja were, are definitely a good idea going forward, that I think everyone would be happy with.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Unfortunately I don't think something like that's going to be conceivable until 8.X, since they're going to be spending a lot of time across 7.X updating items to fit within the graphics update.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ohhh I'm late as hell for a qol suggestion but I thought of one. As soon as the visual overhaul is done I'll be playing through the story again. I'd like to have access to my glams and weapons and mounts etc, but New Game+ doesn't level you for the overworld or replenish quests so it's different. Anyway I wish there was an optional overworld sync feature for new game+ as well as being able to do old yellow quests again

I thought about this while filling out the survey earlier but they didn't ask for that kind of feedback lol

E: For the side story character I picked Momodi, and in the box I said I wanted a story with all three adventurer guild heads. I think that'd be neat. They always have something new to say as you're going through the story if you go back and see them after every major beat, I like 'em

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 21, 2023

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I actually think the best RPG system for getting across what it is to play Final Fantasy might be Chuubo's Magical Wish-Granting Engine or something like that. But that is, uh, less mainstream than D&D.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Since I'm done with AC6 outside of Data Logs or S-Ranking missions, time to actually do the treasure trove... hopefully.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Frida Call Me posted:

gonna be very hard to convince a static to do enough clears to get one melee, one physranged, one caster, one healer, and one tank BIS for 8 people.

in prior expacs gearing up several roles wasn't as needed since the big time-sink forays were gear agnostic. but now that criterion is ilvl sync'd to higher than the savage tier's rewards, if you want to be flexible for small party savage content you need to gear up one of each role!

Thinking about what an approximate minimum number of clears to accomplish this would be working from scratch, spending books optimally and dividing loot perfectly. (pastebin has me working this stuff out stream of consciousness, so as not to dump a giant wall of text on the thread)

The actual minimum #s of runs to kit out 5 jobs/person in BiS across 8 people for each fight is this:
P9S - 16
P10S - 36
P11S - 18
P12S - between 14 and 20 depending on drops, 16 most likely

P10S is way higher almost exclusively on the basis of needing shines. With an alternative source of shines available, like, say, from the 24-man raids, P10S drops down to about 20 runs required.

This is a lot, but it's not a completely unfathomable number. 6.4 dropped around 17 weeks ago, so theoretically if you cleared all the fights week one and went back with your static every week until today, next week you'd be completely done kitting out 40 jobs for everything except P10S.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It is wild that they literally figured everything out last expansion and decided to just...not do it again

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Blade%27s_Armor

Not BiS but only 5 levels under and super solid gear

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Firebert posted:

It is wild that they literally figured everything out last expansion and decided to just...not do it again

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Blade%27s_Armor

Not BiS but only 5 levels under and super solid gear

That would be nice too. If the first Variant/Criterion dungeon gave gear and the latter ones let you upgrade it. Just another gear path for people that prefer it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The problem with just doing that again for Criterion dungeons is the devs have been deep in getting stuff updated for the graphics update. The 7.0 items don't take any extra time, they don't exist except in the new look, but doing all of ARR so it launches with 7.0? That's a lot of gear, and they're not going to be done until they've also done HW, StB, ShB and EW, which I'm personally expecting to take a 7.X patch each.

Sure, they (probably) don't have to concept, model and texture from nothing for each item, but there's certainly more than just drag-and-dropping required.

They also like to tailor non-tomestone sets' appearances to their source in some manner, and it'd be odd to have gear related to Sil'dih also be associated with Hingashi and whichever sea Aloalo Island is in. It could work if there was a central, in-universe system connecting each one, but each dungeon is its own thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Onean posted:

They also like to tailor non-tomestone sets' appearances to their source in some manner, and it'd be odd to have gear related to Sil'dih also be associated with Hingashi and whichever sea Aloalo Island is in. It could work if there was a central, in-universe system connecting each one, but each dungeon is its own thing.

Each dungeon is its own thing, but we've been using the same liasons for both. So have it Sharlayan (or gleaner) themed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, did we? My bad, that'd work then.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Onean posted:

Oh, did we? My bad, that'd work then.

Yeah, it's one of those things where you don't have to do them in order (You don't have to do Sil’dihn before Rokkon or either before the new one) but the group that initiates the quests is the same.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
okay, I have a really stupid question for the gatherers in the thread:

I'm reading a FSH guide and it's like "the breakpoint to hit here is 3450 Gathering" (for Diadem scrip farming/achievements, specifically, though it doesn't matter)
I am in full 620 purple scrip (because I'm lazy) and full melded and I have 3190. I could eke out another 6 on the boots, but when a regular materia X slot is 25 that doesn't seem worth it.

Pentamelded Indagator's actually doesn't grant more maximum Gathering per piece and there's no FSH offhand with stats (just the Gig), right? Just food (and lol fc buffs) to fill that gap? Isn't that impossible?

e:
...oh. I forgot about overmelding Indagator's
it doesn't grant more max but there aren't enough materia slots in purples to cap
with Jihnga Curry HQ you get +136 taking required gathering to 3314 which you can barely reach

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"the breakpoint to hit here is 3450 Gathering"

Those numbers have to be off. I've caught (almost) every fish in the game and my gathering is 3246.

And Diadem is from 5.x, where the gathering cap was even lower. You shouldn't even need EW gear to chase everything there.

Where are you reading this?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

Those numbers have to be off. I've caught (almost) every fish in the game and my gathering is 3246.

And Diadem is from 5.x, where the gathering cap was even lower. You shouldn't even need EW gear to chase everything there.

Where are you reading this?
right here, friendo - it's the Double Hook breakpoint after 2300, I do believe it's accurate, those things are spaced out as hell (takes you to 4 fish per DHook from 3)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Onean posted:

but doing all of ARR so it launches with 7.0?

They're not doing all of ARR. They're only doing 7.0 items, and popular items. The rest get rolled out later.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

right here, friendo - it's the Double Hook breakpoint after 2300, I do believe it's accurate, those things are spaced out as hell (takes you to 4 fish per DHook from 3)
it's a diadem guide so, you know, not focused on by lots of players, and I think it's just including that as a "technically this is possible" thing. in the fishcord I found one of the (I'm pretty sure) well-informed regulars saying "3450 Gathering is madness. But doable. Technically. If you dedicate yourself to that."

You'd have to do a whole separate set of gathering gear with different melds just for fishing, and it seems obviously not worth the effort

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ah. Yeah. I see what they're going for. Yeah, those breakpoints take DH from 3->4 and TH from 5->7.

Basically, the only way to reach that is to take a full Indagator's set and meld it with Gathering only - which, I mean, I guess but seems like a bit of a waste.

I guess take that set, meld gathering until you can't and then put GP in the rest of your slots. It's gonna be a funky set that isn't really usable for MIN/BOT, but it would reach that breakpoint.

Martman posted:

it's a diadem guide so, you know, not focused on by lots of players, and I think it's just including that as a "technically this is possible" thing. in the fishcord I found one of the (I'm pretty sure) well-informed regulars saying "3450 Gathering is madness. But doable. Technically. If you dedicate yourself to that."

You'd have to do a whole separate set of gathering gear with different melds just for fishing, and it seems obviously not worth the effort

Yeah. This is how I see it too. You can do it, but it seems like a real waste unless you're willing to just throw a ridiculous mount of money around to meld a set that's only useful for this one very specific function.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. This is how I see it too. You can do it, but it seems like a real waste unless you're willing to just throw a ridiculous mount of money around to meld a set that's only useful for this one very specific function.
Yeah. I was hoping there was something obvious I was missing, like "you fool you didn't know about the secret Grand Company voucher that gives 100 gathering" or "no, food goes above 136 this expansion, you're dumb" or something. But uh. There isn't.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

At the very least, that number won't be hard to reach when we get to DT gear.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're not doing all of ARR. They're only doing 7.0 items, and popular items. The rest get rolled out later.

Did they clarify differently somewhere outside of the keynote? Because during that they said they'll be doing gear and areas from 2.0 at DT's release and the stuff after that will be coming during patches.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I thought the only changes to old gear were adding the second dye channels? Or are they going back through and retexturing everything to bring it up to current standards?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, they're redoing them to some extent (edit: better textures was explicitly mentioned, for example) as well, which is why they're able to do the extra dye channel to begin with.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That certainly explains the huge jump in install size :shepicide:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Onean posted:

Did they clarify differently somewhere outside of the keynote? Because during that they said they'll be doing gear and areas from 2.0 at DT's release and the stuff after that will be coming during patches.

I just rechecked the keynote, and they didn't specify anything either way, actually. Just they'll do as much as they can in 7.0 / 7.x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It probably won't be strictly linear like adding Duty Support was. Doma Castle was one of their preview highlights (to show off the improved metallic gold in the environments), and they said that it'd take some time for all the NPCs to get updated and so to be prepared for (and be understanding of) some dissonance as old models/textures will be in the mix. But any NPCs built strictly on the player system will have immediate improvements, because all the player model/textures are the priority for 7.0.