Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Unless I'm messing things up....

The AL Tie Brekers are all settled more or less. Texas currently has a big head to head lead on Seattle that the M's could reverse but doing so would remove any chance of a tie at the end of 162 games.

M's > Astros
M's > Blue Jays
Rangers > M's
Rangers > Blue Jays
Blue Jays > Astros
Astros > Rangers

You forgot

Twins > Rangers
Twins > Astros
Ms > Twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MrMidnight posted:

The disease is spreading

Fangraphs playoff percentages for Ms and Cubs tell us their fates are intertwined. Therefore:

GOMS

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

What exactly does a GM who's not the POBO do?

POBO reports directly to ownership, while the GM reports to the POBO, generally speaking. With the Cubs, for example, Jed Hoyer as GM was largely responsible for scouting and talent development and occasionally initiating trade discussions, reporting to Theo Epstein.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

You forgot

Twins > Rangers
Twins > Astros
Ms > Twins

Tiebreaker doesn't matter with Twins though?

Unless you think they're going to catch the AL West winner

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Tiebreaker doesn't matter with Twins though?

Unless you think they're going to catch the AL West winner

That is the implication that goes along with the posts I've been making the past few days yes :getin:

It's also just a fun needle to poke that the Twins won the season series against Houston.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

That is the implication that goes along with the posts I've been making the past few days yes :getin:

Preach

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Didn't they hire him from the Blackhawks?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

go cubs

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

The disease is spreadinGOMS

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timby posted:

POBO reports directly to ownership, while the GM reports to the POBO, generally speaking. With the Cubs, for example, Jed Hoyer as GM was largely responsible for scouting and talent development and occasionally initiating trade discussions, reporting to Theo Epstein.

So what'd Epstein do?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

live with fruit posted:

So what'd Epstein do?

Got all the credit, sat in the stands and looked handsome

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

gently caress it I'm on board. Give me GOMSorrhea

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

So what'd Epstein do?

Some real bad stuff then hung himself in his prison cell

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

So what'd Epstein do?

He was the primary liaison to ownership and was also a primary decision maker in big things like trades, signings, call-ups, etc.

The delineation of responsibilities between Jed and Theo is kinda muddled, if you believe Theo then he was really only Jed's boss on paper and the two of them were an equal braintrust that did not make decisions unless they both agreed. That kind of arrangement doesn't usually play out in reality though and since Theo's left Jed has made a few comments that make it sound a lot like Theo was the final decision maker and stuff like the Quintana trade went through at his instruction even over Jed disagreeing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

What exactly does a GM who's not the POBO do?
audition for a POBO job in another org

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

He was the primary liaison to ownership and was also a primary decision maker in big things like trades, signings, call-ups, etc.

The delineation of responsibilities between Jed and Theo is kinda muddled, if you believe Theo then he was really only Jed's boss on paper and the two of them were an equal braintrust that did not make decisions unless they both agreed. That kind of arrangement doesn't usually play out in reality though and since Theo's left Jed has made a few comments that make it sound a lot like Theo was the final decision maker and stuff like the Quintana trade went through at his instruction even over Jed disagreeing.

That does make sense since Hoyer was the number one guy in San Diego before going to Chicago, though he was probably squeezed out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't they hire him from the Blackhawks?

Yeah, can't imagine why he'd want to leave so quickly

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1704949134191468687
https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/1704921352745205952

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Is Morel that bad at defense?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TIL Travis D'arnaud has a 35 wrc+ since the all star break. I think that concussion he had might have really jacked him up more than has been let on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the point is to get the best possible defensive alignment out there for Kyle then just slot PCA in CF. So what if he strikes out four times again he's one of the few guys with a good enough glove at a premium enough position that you'll deal with it as long as the rest of the lineup is hitting.

Red posted:

He's a butcher in the OF and while his footwork at 3B is fine, he has abysmal arm accuracy and is liable to throw any ball hit to him into the stands instead of the 1B glove.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

TIL Travis D'arnaud has a 35 wrc+ since the all star break. I think that concussion he had might have really jacked him up more than has been let on.

Baseball has a concussion problem.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1704949357731020965

lol even if the Cubs manage to trip over the finish line into the postseason they're gonna need every starter to go 7-8 lest the injured blob of flesh they're calling a bullpen have to take the field for too long.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Red posted:

Yeah, he's pretty bad although I don't think Mastrubuoni is that much better.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yy7A74o8gQ

C'mon Brew Crew, don't gently caress this up!

:toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Question for Rangers fans: if the Rangers make the playoffs do you think they'll call Langford up to the playoff roster? I saw how ridiculous his minor league stats have been earlier and it feels like he's already banging on the door of the majors.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat I thought Hendricks was pitching tomorrow. I wanted to see him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

drat I thought Hendricks was pitching tomorrow. I wanted to see him.

DM me your seats for tomorrow, I'll try to pop over with something for your kid!

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

DeepDickPizza posted:

What part of “I never want to see Miles Mastrobuoni ever again” do these fuckers not understand?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have an idea for a thread about Moneyball, and about how by now everyone's figured out what the undervalued stat is (OBP) such that it is no longer undervalued. I want to start a discussion about what the next undervalued stat is, and why people think their stat is the one that the A's/Rays/Fish should be targeting. Would there be enough interest in that?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

IcePhoenix posted:

Question for Rangers fans: if the Rangers make the playoffs do you think they'll call Langford up to the playoff roster? I saw how ridiculous his minor league stats have been earlier and it feels like he's already banging on the door of the majors.

He's been crazy good, putting up collegiate numbers across four levels. Evan Carter killing it (1.032 ops) since being called up makes it pretty unlikely Langford sees the majors this year, but I would be pretty drat surprised if he isn't the 2024 opening day left fielder. He's going to be a monster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

How would they do that? Don't you have to be on the 40 man to be even an injury sub?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I have an idea for a thread about Moneyball, and about how by now everyone's figured out what the undervalued stat is (OBP) such that it is no longer undervalued. I want to start a discussion about what the next undervalued stat is, and why people think their stat is the one that the A's/Rays/Fish should be targeting. Would there be enough interest in that?
this feels like a good discussion for the year 2005 or so

We're several steps beyond "the next under valued stat" and well into entirely new categories of data and data analysis. We are also well past the point that fans are likely to have significant insight that teams lack, as they're now working with proprietary datasets to which the public will never have access.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1704956495958278411

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

this feels like a good discussion for the year 2005 or so

We're several steps beyond "the next under valued stat" and well into entirely new categories of data and data analysis. We are also well past the point that fans are likely to have significant insight that teams lack, as they're now working with proprietary datasets to which the public will never have access.

The new market inefficiency is market inefficiency.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

How would they do that? Don't you have to be on the 40 man to be even an injury sub?

When the Twins called up Kirloff to make his debut in the playoffs he wasn't on the 40 man (they did need to add him though) but I don't remember if he was an injury sub or not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nvm getting trade/FA stuff confused with roster stuff

google says you have to either be on the 40 man or 60 day IL on August 1 to be playoff eligible? and anyone who isn't can take the place of someone who was who is now on the 60 day

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2023

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I mean the real new market efficiency is excellent foreign scouting and player development so that you can identify the guys you want to lock up to decade long contracts after they've been in the majors for 2 weeks. Would theoretically work with poorer American prospects but oops, those basically don't exist anymore.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the key is signing your young super star players to long term extensions for far less than they would get if they hit FA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh well, i had fun watching the cubs this season.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 22, 2023