Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hopeandjoy posted:

I think a lot of 2’s reputation is mostly from 2-1 being the worst first case in the series and 2-3 being 2-3. 2-2 and 2-4 are bangers.

JFA also deserves credit for solidifying the tone and pacing for the series moving forward. 1-4 and 1-5 are still epic but imo PW:AA feels pretty bizarre to replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Court proceedings now take no longer than three days. Wait poo poo that's too long only two now."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Phoenix Trilogy is coming to Game Pass on the 26th and the Apollo Trilogy has been rated T, Dual Destinies is finally free

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1704863005987803605?t=GjSFMAa3FkZ7TUC7pVrfvg&s=19

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwULOH1QyAE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DLC is included, seems like

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
aw sweet, finally

Man, I forgot what a bop Athena's objection theme is

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Noooooooooo why is it so far away

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
They also confirmed changes to the controversial "play the video" part in AA4. First time it'll play exactly like on the DS, same file and resolution.

But the second time they'll whip out a DVD as evidence and it'll look like the mobile port. Then, every instance after they'll use a bluray disc as evidence and the video will be in-engine in HD.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

there she is, my girl 🥹

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

They also confirmed changes to the controversial "play the video" part in AA4. First time it'll play exactly like on the DS, same file and resolution.

But the second time they'll whip out a DVD as evidence and it'll look like the mobile port. Then, every instance after they'll use a bluray disc as evidence and the video will be in-engine in HD.

Having just played that case I would say the video is least of it's problems.

Snooze Cruise posted:

there she is, my girl 🥹

*KA-TONK*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also a green screen mode where you can play individual animations on a, well, green screen

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
*MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH*

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very amused that the video's example of 'presenting evidence' is Apollo showing somebody his attorney's badge, in the courtroom even.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Meowywitch posted:

Noooooooooo why is it so far away

Right?! At least this gives me time to finish these VNs I'm currently playing, but still! I demand a November release date!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The week it's in is already super packed, with Tekken 8, Under Night II, Like A Dragon 8, Persona 3 Reload, Granblue Re:Link and (lol) Suicide Squad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The week it's in is already super packed, with Tekken 8, Under Night II, Like A Dragon 8, Persona 3 Reload, Granblue Re:Link and (lol) Suicide Squad

I will support it, because I'm a moron who bought AA5 for the 3DS, but forgot to buy the DLC case before the eshop died.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Really excited for this, as I never got to play anything after the first Appolo game. I've been replaying through the Ace Attorney collection that just went up on Game Pass and have been having a blast replaying through these games for the first time in 10+ years.

I recently tried out Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and it wasn't for me. It was just too sleepy and over-written for my tastes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm stuck again, this time on GAA 2-4, and I'd like a nudge in the right direction like last time. The cross-examination is about where Gregson and Van Zeiks were the day before the discovery of the body, and it's discussing a secret notebook Gregson had that detailed his supposed activities. The prosecution is alleging that both Gregson and Van Zeiks went to a club called The Grouse.

There are two methods of attack that I can see: either 1) try to establish that Gregson wasn't at the club (we have a passport issued to him for the day in question), or 2) try to nitpick Gina's reading ability and establish that the actual club isn't The Grouse. But I've already tried presenting the passport on most if not all of the statements and it's not right, and I can't find anything in the Court Record that contradicts the name of the club.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'm stuck again, this time on GAA 2-4, and I'd like a nudge in the right direction like last time. The cross-examination is about where Gregson and Van Zeiks were the day before the discovery of the body, and it's discussing a secret notebook Gregson had that detailed his supposed activities. The prosecution is alleging that both Gregson and Van Zeiks went to a club called The Grouse.

There are two methods of attack that I can see: either 1) try to establish that Gregson wasn't at the club (we have a passport issued to him for the day in question), or 2) try to nitpick Gina's reading ability and establish that the actual club isn't The Grouse. But I've already tried presenting the passport on most if not all of the statements and it's not right, and I can't find anything in the Court Record that contradicts the name of the club.

You may not have fully inspected all your evidence. Make sure to have a good look at everything.

(Especially the letter of introduction)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i had the opposite problem there, where i had fully inspected all the evidence but that case is so long that i'd already forgotten the details and didn't connect it at all lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah I also stumbled on that testimony because I'd seen that detail much earlier and without context. Give the whole court record the ol' once-over.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what exactly is Franziska's deal in JFA? Like, her motivation? I had forgotten in 2-3 she specifically says it's not about her father. I mean, that's the logical assumption. Whatever he was, Manfred was her "Papa" and wanting to right a "wrong" by defeating the man who defeated her father and led to his death makes sense for a von Karma and a grieving daughter.

But then she's like "nope, this is all about Edgeworth." What? I had totally forgotten about all this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think she's just jealous.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Am I mis-remembering, or wasn't it something about Edgeworth "abandoning" her by moving to the US to become a prosecutor?

Octag
Sep 16, 2012
That's right, it's explained in the ending of 2-4

von Karma:
... You haven't changed a bit... You've always... You've always left me alone and walked on ahead without me. Miles Edgeworth... I've always hated you.

Edgeworth:

von Karma:
And then... Finally, my chance to take my revenge on you arrived. If I could win against that man... If I could make Phoenix Wright bow down in defeat... Then this "girl" you left behind would have risen higher than you! That was supposed to be my "revenge"...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Octag posted:

That's right, it's explained in the ending of 2-4

von Karma:
... You haven't changed a bit... You've always... You've always left me alone and walked on ahead without me. Miles Edgeworth... I've always hated you.

Edgeworth:

von Karma:
And then... Finally, my chance to take my revenge on you arrived. If I could win against that man... If I could make Phoenix Wright bow down in defeat... Then this "girl" you left behind would have risen higher than you! That was supposed to be my "revenge"...

Fair enough then. I forgot that, too. Thank you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Edgeworth is loving cool

I wish his cameo in SoJ's DLC case didn't feel completely superfluous though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Edgeworth was also undefeated until Phoenix. As much as she admired her father, her rivalry was with Edgeworth and the fact that Phoenix defeated Edgeworth before she even had a chance made her switch her target to him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Edgeworth faked his death and then came back and said that that was just a metaphor for abandoning the von Karma name and values or some poo poo. Plus he gave the testimony that got Manfred the chair, all Nick did was facilitate it.

Which is all an entirely fair and reasonable thing to do*, but it's also not weird that it would mess up Manfred's remaining child who wasn't there to see any of it go down and lived her life admiring her deadbeat dad from afar.

*well all but the fake suicide thing, I never really got the point of that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think he faked his suicide, I think he's just a messy bitch that lives for drama, even when he's quitting his job

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing I can't help but wonder if they'll ever pull it in - Manfred mentions his granddaughter in 1-4. So we know he has at least one more child.

I really doubt they'd ever go back to that well, but it makes me think - wonder what that one is like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't help but think that the existence of Franziska basically retconned that one-off line away.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think he faked his suicide, I think he's just a messy bitch that lives for drama, even when he's quitting his job
He didn't even quit his job though afaik, he just went off on a training mission to become even more smug in Europe for a while or something. Like the instant he comes back he starts prosecuting again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that it was for him taking some PTO makes him an even messier bitch

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just figured von Karma's granddaughter was a fabrication he made up in the moment, given that it comes up alongside a dialogue branch where he announces his ATM PIN for the entire courtroom to hear

either is an elder von Karma sibling who has never come up as a part of the family dynamic, or there isn't, either way Miles is a messy bitch who traumatized his sister because of his love for drama

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

"Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth chooses death" is absolutely the same kind of message I'd leave in his situation as well lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phoenix knew he wasn't actually dead so yeah I don't think he actually faked his death both of them are just melodramatic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Been a while since I've played JFA but IIRC Nick is surprised when Edgeworth turns up alive, just not as surprised as Maya is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Been a while since I've played JFA but IIRC Nick is surprised when Edgeworth turns up alive, just not as surprised as Maya is.

Nah he finally admits that he was just mad Edgeworth abandoned him