Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
To elaborate, my Plex system is a very, very decent computer with a 5800x and RTX 3080. Was just wondering if I could make it a bit more snappy I guess.

I don't use it for anything but Plex, and remoting into, to work Usenet, and I was considering getting a monitor and making it a secondary machine for idk, when people come over they could play pc games with me or something, with both of us on separate machines (main machine is best of everything).

Rawrbomb posted:

Your not in active use hard drives should not be slowing down the processing of the system in any reasonable way. Why do you think turning the HDD's off will improve the performance of the system?

I just notice that the Plex system with all the hard drives operates more slowly than my main computer, which is 100% solid state. So I'm wondering if that can be improved.

Violator posted:

Yeah, it may be different on Windows and in your setup, but for me powering down hard drives was a huge performance hit because every time I needed to access them or the system wanted to do something (like a global search or status scan) I had to wait for them to spin up. I would literally sit there and hear each one spin up while the UI beachballed until everything came online.

This was a few years ago so it might be different now, but I long ago set everything not to sleep. Especially on my Plex setup where I never know when someone will be watching something.

That's fair, maybe it's not worth it.

Motronic posted:

This is a power saving setting question that is 100% dependent on the operating system you're running and potentially drivers/driver compatibility.

Just Windows 11. It's really no big deal I was just trying to make the system work a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Violator posted:

Yeah, it may be different on Windows and in your setup, but for me powering down hard drives was a huge performance hit because every time I needed to access them or the system wanted to do something (like a global search or status scan) I had to wait for them to spin up. I would literally sit there and hear each one spin up while the UI beachballed until everything came online.

This was a few years ago so it might be different now, but I long ago set everything not to sleep. Especially on my Plex setup where I never know when someone will be watching something.

Also there is definitely a reason that the power off count is one of the SMART counters, i imagine it places at least some amount of wear on the drive on startup.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Taima posted:

To elaborate, my Plex system is a very, very decent computer with a 5800x and RTX 3080. Was just wondering if I could make it a bit more snappy I guess.

I don't use it for anything but Plex, and remoting into, to work Usenet, and I was considering getting a monitor and making it a secondary machine for idk, when people come over they could play pc games with me or something, with both of us on separate machines (main machine is best of everything).

I just notice that the Plex system with all the hard drives operates more slowly than my main computer, which is 100% solid state. So I'm wondering if that can be improved.

What is the OS hard drive (SSD?) and swap on? How much ram? Can you more clearly define snappy? Like are things slow in general, like menu animations etc? Are you on the latest BIOS and, are you sure you enabled the DOCP/XMP profiles for your ram?

I had neglected to enable DOCP on my partners and my computer for a bit, which was a pretty massive performance hit at times.

norp posted:

Also there is definitely a reason that the power off count is one of the SMART counters, i imagine it places at least some amount of wear on the drive on startup.

Yeah, ideally, you just let them keep spinning. At least if someone is going to access something on them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warbird posted:

In other matters, is Lidarr a nightmare to use or am I just dumb? It seems incredibly slow on top of being just the worst to get to take a god drat manual import and rename the file right.

I found Headphones to be a much better solution, especially if you pair it with their indexer.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Drunkenslug registration is open if anyone needs a good indexer. Between Drunkenslug and Geek I am pretty well covered. I also prefer the actual search on Drunkenslug over geek if I have to manually search for something.

https://drunkenslug.com/register

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Burden posted:

Drunkenslug registration is open if anyone needs a good indexer. Between Drunkenslug and Geek I am pretty well covered. I also prefer the actual search on Drunkenslug over geek if I have to manually search for something.

Seconding this. Its worth it imo

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
If I'm using Sonarr / Lidarr am I likely to hit 1000 API hits in a day?

Substandard fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Substandard posted:

That would be each system hitting it once every three minutes. I think 15 minutes is the default setting for *arrs but I could be wrong, and you should be able to configure it to check less often than that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Substandard posted:

It depends

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There's not much reason to have Radarr and Lidarr checking more than every six hours or so, considering how infrequently movies and albums get released. Even at the default though, I wouldn't expect to hit 1000 a day unless you're in Radarr manually clicking search on a bunch of individual episodes all the time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can do it if you’re setting up a fresh system and trying to backfill a shitload of things, but if you already have an established library and it’s strictly new stuff going forward you probably won’t ever get close to putting a dent in that.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
From what I can tell the RSS hits take up next to nothing

Your main thing is manual searches/grabs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Burden posted:

Looks like it's dead. Are this one and geek the best indexers right now?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Looks like it's dead. Are this one and geek the best indexers right now?

They account for most of my hits, and from what I hear in this thread and the general usenet reddit they're the most popular public indexers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I like TabulaRasa a lot alongside geek and slug. I just checked my Prowlarr stats and it's my highest queried indexer.

E: high failure rate too so grain of salt!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Fair, I have a free account with them so I have them at a lower priority than the other 2, but still every once in a while I'll get a pull from them.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I recently realized my geek account had been suspended for an insecure Sonarr/Radarr installation. This confused me as I use authentication on all my *arrs, and I've been using the same setup (with Prowlarr, no less, so Sonarr/Radarr shouldn't be hitting the indexers directly even) for over a year. Eventually I realized that a) I still had port forwarding going to an old RPi I used to run my *arrs on, b) I had disabled auth on those, apparently, and c) at some point I had scooched cables on my TV stand so that it unplugged the RPi, and recently messing with some inputs had scooched it back to plugged in. Whoopsie.

reminded me of this oldass bash.org quote:

quote:

I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bash.org quotes feel very appropriate for this thread.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I feel that Geek is the best indexer and it's not close.

I am constantly amazed at what it pulls down that no other indexer has. This is particularly true of content that has been forcibly removed elsewhere - I think everyone knows what I'm talking about (linux ISOs from HBO for example). Or I'll look for a 4k remux linux ISO where the most recent upload is 2-3 years ago and almost inevitably, Geek is the one who still has a working link.

The best indexer for anime that I've found is nzb.su, but I get that's not everyone's cup of tea. If someone knows a better anime indexer, I'm curious. Shout out to Anime Tosho here, even if only some of the stuff there gets uploaded to Usenet, it's still pretty drat good.

For me, the combo of nzb.su and geek has covered basically everything. I paid for Slug for a while but honestly wasn't that impressed. It's not bad or anything, but Geek usually has everything that Slug has in my experience, for the stuff I'm getting at least, in particular 4k remux and hard to find shows.

However I will give some credit for Slug in that they occasionally have the odd find that you can't cop elsewhere, but that has been less true recently in my experience. I no longer pay for Slug and don't feel like it affected me in any way.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 26, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Taima posted:

I feel that Geek is the best indexer and it's not close.

I am constantly amazed at what it pulls down that no other indexer has. This is particularly true of content that has been forcibly removed elsewhere - I think everyone knows what I'm talking about (linux ISOs from HBO for example). Or I'll look for a 4k remux linux ISO where the most recent upload is 2-3 years ago and almost inevitably, Geek is the one who still has a working link.

The best indexer for anime that I've found is nzb.su, but I get that's not everyone's cup of tea. If someone knows a better anime indexer, I'm curious. Shout out to Anime Tosho here, even if only some of the stuff there gets uploaded to Usenet, it's still pretty drat good.

For me, the combo of nzb.su and geek has covered basically everything. I paid for Slug for a while but honestly wasn't that impressed. It's not bad or anything, but Geek usually has everything that Slug has in my experience, for the stuff I'm getting at least, in particular 4k remux and hard to find shows.

However I will give some credit for Slug in that they occasionally have the odd find that you can't cop elsewhere, but that has been less true recently in my experience. I no longer pay for Slug and don't feel like it affected me in any way.

I run geek and slug and I've found that to be a good combo with both getting things that the other didn't. Haven't noticed one being significantly better than the other as you have but ofc this is all dependent upon what we are looking for.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

omgwtfnzbs doesn't get mentioned a lot but according to nzbhydra I'm pulling down twice as much from there as DS or geek

they rarely open registrations and don't seem to have much of an invite system though so I'm not sure how I got it in the first place

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
They are one of the hush hush indexers who don't want people talking about them anywhere. They have invites for members occasionally. They also opened registration when nzbs.org died. That's how I got in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and I’m gonna guess if discussion was in the open they’d cream the public ones. There’s stuff that goes through that definitely feels unique. Obviously if all you want is latest tv/movie stuff that’s easy regardless no matter what you use.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That Works posted:

I run geek and slug and I've found that to be a good combo with both getting things that the other didn't. Haven't noticed one being significantly better than the other as you have but ofc this is all dependent upon what we are looking for.

That's totally fair; what do you find more often on Slug? Speaking in generalities, of course, I guess, if that's a problem here (it feels to performative the way we have to speak and like 10 people post in this thread, but whatever).

FCKGW posted:

omgwtfnzbs doesn't get mentioned a lot but according to nzbhydra I'm pulling down twice as much from there as DS or geek

they rarely open registrations and don't seem to have much of an invite system though so I'm not sure how I got it in the first place

Huh, that's amazing. I'll have to make sure to keep an eye out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I always have at least 4 indexers in rotation because they disappear without warning most of the time. Going by the prowlarr stats, my grabs are from all over the place which is good because I don't want to be reliant on any single source after nzbs.org went kaput (RIP).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Same. I’ve got 4-5, two of which I bought lifetime subs to on sale a couple years ago for like $30.

Looking at my stats, seems like ninja and geek are my main ones.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just checked my Prowlarr stats and noticed this which seemed odd:

Both Lidarr and Sonarr are set to 15 minute refresh on RSS which I don't recall changing for either one but Lidarr has about 33% more RSS queries.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does Lidarr have more poo poo in it than Sonarr?

If it’s checking for more things it’s gonna make more requests.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That would be my guess, there are probably a lot more entries for music than movies or TV.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

They are one of the hush hush indexers who don't want people talking about them anywhere. They have invites for members occasionally. They also opened registration when nzbs.org died. That's how I got in.

I see what you did here

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Does Lidarr have more poo poo in it than Sonarr?

If it’s checking for more things it’s gonna make more requests.
It's RSS though, which is supposed to just be watching the feed for new content, not specific content searches. Presumably two apps both refreshing the RSS feed every 15 minutes should result in roughly the same number of requests. Radarr is set to refresh RSS every 60 minutes so it being about 1/4 Sonarr's number makes sense.

edit: You can just barely see a blue line at the bottom of the total queries per indexer graph in the top left, that shows how rarely it's actually doing specific content searches instead of just refreshing the RSS.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 29, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Is there anywhere on the entire internet that can saturate a connection the way that Usenet can? 100MB+ per second on a Linux ISO?

Isn't Usenet literally based on like, 30 year old web forum technology that somehow got amalgamated into one of the most singularly impressive stores of data, if not THE most singularly impressive store of data in the entire world? It's wild to think about.

It really makes me wonder how the Usenet backbones even store all of this poo poo. Is there any information available on how raw data is stored on a given Usenet backbone? It must be indescribable; I've downloaded files up to 10+ years old.

That's not possible on every backbone, but some of them fully allow that to the point where the tiny NZB source file to find the files on the indexer has as high of a chance of being misplaced or overwritten as the actual files themselves.

Idk it's a modern miracle and I don't know how these files even get stored in such vast quantities. And it's even weirder that it's solely the purview of super nerds like ourselves- this incredible Library of Alexandria store of linux ISOs that requires multiple paid subscriptions, cobbled together, to access.

I don't know where I'm going with this, it just hits me sometimes how underrated Usenet is for how loving incredible it is.

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm i only get 5 using giga news so i might just move to someone else then

Hmm, well you could try increasing the number of connections! That can very often boost download speeds and it will state on your plan how many connections you can have. Just keep in mind that more connections is almost never better, after a certain point; increase the number of connections slowly and stop when adding more doesn't increase your speed. And keep in mind that for whatever reason, some files just move slower than others, so when you're increasing your connections, don't take the word of any single file when measuring.

Beyond that you could try a new service. I use Newsgroup Ninja and pay $3.33 a month, but I'm on some kind of locked in promo so YMMV idk what it costs now.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 21, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

I consistently max out my gigabit connection with frugal usenet.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Taima posted:

Is there anywhere on the entire internet that can saturate a connection the way that Usenet can? 100MB+ per second on a Linux ISO?

Isn't Usenet literally based on like, 30 year old web forum technology that somehow got amalgamated into one of the most singularly impressive stores of data, if not THE most singularly impressive store of data in the entire world? It's wild to think about.

It really makes me wonder how the Usenet backbones even store all of this poo poo. Is there any information available on how raw data is stored on a given Usenet backbone? It must be indescribable; I've downloaded files up to 10+ years old.

That's not possible on every backbone, but some of them fully allow that to the point where the tiny NZB source file to find the files on the indexer has as high of a chance of being misplaced or overwritten as the actual files themselves.

Idk it's a modern miracle and I don't know how these files even get stored in such vast quantities. And it's even weirder that it's solely the purview of super nerds like ourselves- this incredible Library of Alexandria store of linux ISOs that requires multiple paid subscriptions, cobbled together, to access.

I don't know where I'm going with this, it just hits me sometimes how underrated Usenet is for how loving incredible it is.

I downloaded a solid terabyte of Linux ISOs last night at a sustained peak of 150MB/s just because I could and it's so absurdly easy when it's set up properly. Reminds me of how insanely far things have come since I would set my computer to download an 80MB game demo before going to bed and hoping that it would be done over 56k by the morning.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Steam can usually saturate a gigabit connection. Somebody in the Steam Deck thread posted this picture from the Baldur’s Gate 3 launch:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Anyone have some suggested backbone mixes?

Right now I’m running frugal US/EU and bonus server as well as block news and it feels like I’m still short a backbone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I always thought it had something to do with Usenet being 'headless', like how a server can operate faster with less resources without a GUI. That or the only people nerdy enough to maintain its infrastructure are actual code wizards still lumbering around since the dawn of the internet.

Buff Hardback posted:

Anyone have some suggested backbone mixes?

Right now I’m running frugal US/EU and bonus server as well as block news and it feels like I’m still short a backbone.

I've got Eweka for a non-US fallback. Most of my traffic is through Frugal but Eweka is a distant second.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 21, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Taima posted:

Hmm, well you could try increasing the number of connections! That can very often boost download speeds and it will state on your plan how many connections you can have. Just keep in mind that more connections is almost never better, after a certain point; increase the number of connections slowly and stop when adding more doesn't increase your speed. And keep in mind that for whatever reason, some files just move slower than others, so when you're increasing your connections, don't take the word of any single file when measuring.

Beyond that you could try a new service. I use Newsgroup Ninja and pay $3.33 a month, but I'm on some kind of locked in promo so YMMV idk what it costs now.

The tech is actually a lot older than 30. UUCP hit the scene in 1970, and by 1979 there were 3 nodes sharing what we'd call news groups now.

I owned an ISP about 30 years ago and actually wrote a Linux kernel module to server small usenet posts faster in like '95. It's really an interesting problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I owned an ISP about 30 years ago

Then you will probably find these videos as funny and comforting as me. They're currently setting up a T1 on an Adtran and have a RaQ 3 online and operating without getting owned immediately......somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/@theserialport