Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
A 2mb .txt file saved to desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm using obsidian and it works well.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

what I do is put notes in notepad or whatever the Ubuntu version of it is called and then I leave it open for a while until I accidentally close it without saving

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

I think this came up earlier, but what do folks use for work notes/etc? I have been using Joplin but it's kind of clunky and I'm not that happy with it, so looking for alternatives. I like the markdown driven approach of Joplin, so Obsidian seems like a good fit, but the pricing is a bit high for me to justify at work. (50/year). I work for a Big Tech so I can't really use anything like Notion/etc, which is generally what I use personally, and I'd rather use notepad than OneNote. I loving hate OneNote.

I started with separate, rolling text files for work and home and it didn't really work quite right. I tried Boost Note, but after about 1.5 years of recipes and personal notes, it completely ate my notebook and then sync'd my eaten notebook online to destroy my backup. I'm still using Joplin after that with the backup plugin. I looked into Obsidian. Apparently, the associativity gets a bit overkill and you wind up with "spaghetti notes." I think what I really need is a better search capability in Joplin, but I don't think there is one. Getting information later has been too difficult, and there's a bit of a game of adding tag words and synonyms into old notes when I had too much difficulty retrieving them at some point.

Emac's Org Mode is a thing that goes in one ear and out the other, but it does exist and it's a thing if you can sport that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Notepad++ "new 1," "new 2," "new 3," etc. unsaved files

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
A horrifying collection of unorganized notes in the apple notes app thing.

If I actually need to ever find it again it's going in confluence.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I use Notion. It’s text files organized in folders. Of all the problems I have with Notion, it’s good enough for that.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
This may be of interest to some of you folks who lose stuff: https://johnnydecimal.com/

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Another +1 for obsidian. I also like emacs org mode & vimwiki for simplicity. But, obsidian has a nice mobile app and I like setting it up with syncthing so I can keep my note on my phone.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

A horrifying collection of unorganized notes in the apple notes app thing.

If I actually need to ever find it again it's going in confluence.

This but notepad++ and

quote:

If I actually need to ever find it again it's going in confluence

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I use notion, but I don’t take notes well

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

CPColin posted:

I use a paper notepad and every time I fill up a sheet, I tear it off, put it in a drawer, and never look at it again.

this but on a longer scale

fill up a college ruled notebook, shove it in a drawer "just in case", throw the notebook away 2 years later when i'm cleaning and realize i have a drawer full of notebooks i forgot about

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Apple notes for scratching stuff out on a call and then I try to move it to the appropriate place afterwards (relevant story, email to a third party, docs, /dev/null, etc.)

I really like to use our project tracker as the main place to store info because if I'm taking notes it's typically in reference to something I have to do and anything I have to do should be captured in the project tracker so it can be prioritized.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

There's an Obsidian/Notion thread that gets very little traffic as well https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990615

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Erg posted:

this but on a longer scale

fill up a college ruled notebook, shove it in a drawer "just in case", throw the notebook away 2 years later when i'm cleaning and realize i have a drawer full of notebooks i forgot about

I did this with moleskine notebooks for years

finally threw them all away when I moved this summer

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I love Notion for home use, but can't use it for work. I spent a little time today trying out Logseq which seems incredibly interesting but also wildly bizarre. I might just see if I can expense Obsidian.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I use one note cos it's installed for stuff I need to look up regularly, config mostly. Day to day stuff I use pen and paper.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
shocked at the limited number of mikes encountered at jobs tbh

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this but unironically. i think i've saved the most important one, but i couldn't tell you where

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

redleader posted:

this but unironically. i think i've saved the most important one, but i couldn't tell you where

i was also being unironic lol

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

redleader posted:

shocked at the limited number of mikes encountered at jobs tbh

i worked at a job with four mikes and a william whose nickname was mike.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For notes, I use a Mac app called Tot:
https://tot.rocks

It’s very simple, just a window with seven color coded tabs. So you get to keep notes on seven things or sets of things. If you get to an eighth thing, you need to delete one of the old things or move it somewhere permanent.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I also work this way.

On my linux machine it's sublime text, but same idea.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Fellatio del Toro posted:

what I do is put notes in notepad or whatever the Ubuntu version of it is called and then I leave it open for a while until I accidentally close it without saving

Are you me?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I tend to revisit written/typed and turn them into markdown, but it's a bit slow. I may try Obsidian 🧠

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

moctopus posted:

I tend to revisit written/typed and turn them into markdown, but it's a bit slow. I may try Obsidian 🧠

my_crimes.txt appears to be weirdly absent here

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

my_crimes.txt appears to be weirdly absent here

They're a goon so none of the projects have made it out of the idea stage yet

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'll have you know that project is in beta!

:|

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Falcon2001 posted:

Kill It With Fire by Marianne Belotti was a great audiobook and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

About halfway through this and really enjoying it

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I don’t know where else to post this but I’ve been at this company for just over two years and was just thinking about job searching seriously. They must’ve intuited this, as I got a random bonus that amounts to half my salary in rsus that vests over a few years. Where’s the catch here? Are retention incentives like this common?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

yes they're common enough. the catch is that when your RSUs vest, you will pay income tax on them immediately at their fair market value.

when you sell them later you'll owe taxes again based on the difference between FMV and the price you sell at, if there is one.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Tax-wise RSUs are identical to getting a bonus and using it to immediately buy stock. Unless there is a lockup period or they vest during blackout periods (both very unusual but not impossible), you can sell them about a day after vesting and it’s the same as a cash bonus as long as the stock doesn’t swing massively in that day. Barring something unusually fucky in the grant, there’s no catch beyond that people often emotionally overvalue unvested grants so they can be better for retention than an equivalent raise.

The main thing to be aware of is that withholdings on bonuses is weird and even if they do sell-to-cover and deduct some of the shares to cover taxes it’ll usually not be enough and you’ll owe a bit at the end of the year. This mostly only matters when your RSUs start being a big enough portion of your income that you have to make estimated payments to avoid penalties, and there’s a one year grace period on that.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 29, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Tax-wise RSUs are identical to getting a bonus and using it to immediately buy stock. Unless there is a lockup period or they vest during blackout periods (both very unusual but not impossible), you can sell them about a day after vesting and it’s the same as a cash bonus as long as the stock doesn’t swing massively in that day. Barring something unusually fucky in the grant, there’s no catch beyond that people often emotionally overvalue unvested grants so they can be better for retention than an equivalent raise.

The main thing to be aware of is that withholdings on bonuses is weird and even if they do sell-to-cover and deduct some of the shares to cover taxes it’ll usually not be enough and you’ll owe a bit at the end of the year. This mostly only matters when your RSUs start being a big enough portion of your income that you have to make estimated payments to avoid penalties, and there’s a one year grace period on that.

Yeah, vesting RSUs are sort of a promise from your company that they'll pay you X every Y months, and if you leave it all evaporates, so it's definitely a retention thing. Last job I left was leaving 80k in unvested stock on the floor.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have only ever worked at private companies and usually haven't stuck around more than a couple years so i've always just kind of assumed my equity was worthless and never picked up whatever did manage to vest

now i've been at a company for four years and had all my ISOs vest, and just got another batch of NSOs that will vest with the same stuff everyone uses - one year cliff for 25% and then three years for the remaining 75%. i cannot possibly imagine being at this company another full year, let alone four, and it was very hard to pretend to be excited when my boss told me i was getting this grant :negative:

of course the ISOs are still fake as well because the company is still private and it's hard to see them going public any time soon, and exercising my options would cost me a cool $51k before taxes. maybe if i bail i'll try one of those secondary market things, since giving up like 10% of the theoretical exit money in exchange for funding seems a lot better than spending a bunch of money that'll go nowhere if this company never gets around to going public

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

Mine vest every quarter, a few shares of them. They withhold about a little more than half of those shares for taxes. I really do hope that is more than enough, because gently caress them otherwise.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Code notes that aren't tied to a repo go in gists. meeting notes or reminders go in slack self-DMs. That's it

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I find it hard to believe that Python (1989) is older than Java (1995). I think most people associate Java with old enterprise software at this point, while Python is increasingly the first language people learn and it's the de facto language for new work in data science and machine learning.

How and why did Java become such a rusty language?

E: asking in the gen prog thread too, the line between these threads is a little blurry.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Java was designed to be stodgy on purpose. It was the right decision.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There was almost a five year gap between Java 6 and 7.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Java was designed to be stodgy on purpose. It was the right decision.

It's this. I love Java, full disclosure I was an Enterprise Java engineer for almost 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I have never heard of Python v1, and I expect it's unrecognizable and only pulled out to torture cs students.