Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Omnicrom posted:

Uh, what?
It doesn't have a lot of marketable sexy/cute/otherwise waifu bait characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Debatable. Surely one of the five Oracles is Best Girl, for starters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sascha Vykos is my waifu. Get your own.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

Debatable. Surely one of the five Oracles is Best Girl, for starters.

this is just Genshin Impact. the capstone 5-stars for each major patch are basically Exarchs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
this is the most cursed chat that has ever defiled this forum

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A whole team of Samuel Haight variants

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is just Genshin Impact. the capstone 5-stars for each major patch are basically Exarchs

gently caress/marry/kill but with the triune aspects of The Father

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

A whole team of Samuel Haight variants

I'm throwing my wallet at the screen and nothing is happening?!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Posting THAT image from Montreal by Night and being mad IRL about the game not being horny enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I almost wrote a pitch for a vampire gacha game at my previous job.

Don't think it would have gone anywhere even before I got cut.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I have faintly become aware that Werewolf5 got released, with zero publicity anywhere I saw. Is there a good rundown somewhere (tried a thread search but couldn't narrow down enough) of what's changed in it? I heard the Tribes are no longer ethnostates, which helps.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Warthur posted:

I have faintly become aware that Werewolf5 got released, with zero publicity anywhere I saw. Is there a good rundown somewhere (tried a thread search but couldn't narrow down enough) of what's changed in it? I heard the Tribes are no longer ethnostates, which helps.
Hahahaha ohhh man

Who wants to tell ‘im?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warthur posted:

They had exciting creative arguments about whether or not to kill off the entirety of one of the Native American tribes. I think at that point I lost interest. Try thread search for hauglosk.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Warthur posted:

As one of the few people who likes the 5e stuff, it's Apocalypse. It's still furry murder machines, except with the gross poo poo stripped out. It's similar to V5 in that there are plenty of references to the past editions there if you're paying attention/know the lore, but it's less focused on that stuff being the be all end all of things.

I've only read through it once so I can't quote chapter and verse of whats new and different or anything but I enjoyed it when I read through it and was happy to see that there were various nods to past lore like the Amazon conflict and such.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey now, let’s now forget the (three?) previews in a row with “appropriated” art they had to apologize for, mechanics so lazily reskinned from V5 that this thread was sure they’d been summarized backwards, and oh yeah that whole thing where the “setting updates” were so racist as to get this thread to change how we talk about the game going forward, per that ex-author whose work made it into the final product uncredited and uncompensated

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

…I will not be purchasing W5, in case anyone was wondering

Warthur
May 2, 2004

AmiYumi posted:

and oh yeah that whole thing where the “setting updates” were so racist as to get this thread to change how we talk about the game going forward, per that ex-author whose work made it into the final product uncredited and uncompensated
May I get more detail on these bits?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

AmiYumi posted:

…I will not be purchasing W5, in case anyone was wondering

Nope, no one was.

Back on topic, the first preview of Blood Sigils dropped, and other than having Mathematics be a Specialty of Academics instead of Science like it should be (and is in the core, though apparently multiple people already pointed this out and Renegade is aware) it looks exactly like the cool poo poo you would want from a supplement, namely gimme some neat ideas for story hooks and if they have some mechanics spelled out with accessory info, even better!

EDIT: I still worry they're gonna bring back all the Thaumatturgy bullshit and basically ruin one of the best things which V5 did, namely undo the whole "laff Blood magic can do EVERYTHING" routine of Revised and V20. They also confirmed that while Koldunism will be touched upon in some form, there was no mention at all of Setite (or I guess Ministry?) Sorcery now, so I guess that's just not a thing anymore? There was some mention in the blurbs about how it would specifically address ways to have non-Banu or Tremere Blood Sorcerers, and how BS manifests in other places, so who knows.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gosh, that looks vastly nicer than Onyx Path's "if it was good enough for White Wolf in the mid-2000s it's good enough for us" school of layout.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
On the one hand, those paragraphs aren't justified.

On the other hand, they know not to indent the first paragraph after a heading.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warthur posted:

May I get more detail on these bits?

The original metaplot was to have The native american tribe that originally started with W slaughtered wholesale by the Get of Fenris who all became nazis again for some reason. Also their original name is kind of offensive and shouldn't be used. Also they fired the writer who revealed this information but still have his work in the final product uncredited.
e: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-and-the-anti-indigeneity-in-the-gaming-industry.912221/

Fuzz posted:

Nope, no one was.

People are allowed to be critical of product in this thread.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kurieg posted:

People are allowed to be critical of product in this thread.

Which is fine, but don't double post just to lay down some passive aggressive smarm and not expect to get dragged at least a little for it. This is the SomethingAwful Forums, we have standards, despite my continued ability to post!

Rand Brittain posted:

I can forgive the lack of full justification, especially if this is an editing copy. That's one of the last things you fiddle with after the copy is finalized, that way you can fix any weird spacing snafus once and not end up having them totally gently caress things up after the fact once you make some minor edit to the text.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 22, 2023

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Which is fine, but don't double post just to lay down some passive aggressive smarm and not expect to get dragged at least a little for it.
It’s a rhetorical technique, used for emphasis - TBH, I took that as a “message received” rather than a drag, so no hard feelings?

Fuzz posted:

This is the SomethingAwful Forums, we have standards
liar

Fuzz posted:

Back on topic, the first preview of Blood Sigils dropped
That list of books is absolutely perfect, that’s exactly what a supplement sidebar should include. Extremely gameable, from background flavor to dot justification to character goals. Plus, it even gives you material to be a catty parasite about :
“Ugh, look at this loser, you probably can’t even read the Necronomicon in the original German.”
“Actually, while the German edition is the most complete, the Kitab al’Azif is originally :words:

Now make it a full-page sidebar with a brief summary of each work.

I wouldn’t worry about the layout, either; that looks like editing spreads, wh-

Fuzz posted:

I can forgive the lack of full justification, especially if this is an editing copy. That's one of the last things you fiddle with after the copy is finalized, that way you can fix any weird spacing snafus once and not end up having them totally gently caress things up after the fact once you make some minor edit to the text.
yeah that

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
^ :dogstare: at W5chat

Ok things are getting too depressing even for this thread so let's have some :nyan: MEMES!!! :nyan:

Meanwhile in a timeline where White Wolf is bought out by Games Workshop....

Tehre is noh time to beh lohst!

Batul Brothas!

Garoues, todeh the enemeh is at oua doar! We know oua duteh and we will do eet. We fight for our honor as Savor Fanges,
as GAROUES, and we fight in the nehme of Ghaya!

And if we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste deff and defeat! As you know’’

Moast of oua battle brothars are shtehtioned in UMBRAA, Pruhpeared to deep strike! Oua perimeter has been
pruhpeared in the even dat oua enehmies should be so bald and so foolish. We have plehced numerous merroirs , allowing for
muhltiple, simuln-tehneous and devashtehting defensive deep strikes The Latries namees this maneuvah Merroir Fhang. We will descend upon the foe, we will ovawhelm them - we will leave none
alive! Meanwhile oua ground fawses will ensue the full defense of oua headkwaters

We are the Garoues! WE ARE THE GHAYA'S FHANGES!

*Proceeds to start a muti page flame war VIGOROUS DISCUSSION on the ongoing space marinefication of Garou broken up by complaint's on price of the recent minis (Goon: why do I need five modals just to play one character!? GW: :capitalism: :smug:)*

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 22, 2023

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought they de-space-marined Garou, in that Garou were actually pretty great at kickin' rear end, the problem came when it wasn't kickin' rear end adjacent, to the point where they had entire tribes whose gimmick was "we are capable of interacting with modern technology without wolfing out and eating a computer" or "we had the insightful idea to maybe try meditating sometime" or "maybe we could try only being assholes some of the time".

I recall hearing that you could pretty much auto-lose your character with five significant personal setbacks, either to Harano (already established, easily induced with Posting) or Hauglosk (which seems to be the manic side of that coin).

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

I thought they de-space-marined Garou, in that Garou were actually pretty great at kickin' rear end, the problem came when it wasn't kickin' rear end adjacent, to the point where they had entire tribes whose gimmick was "we are capable of interacting with modern technology without wolfing out and eating a computer" or "we had the insightful idea to maybe try meditating sometime" or "maybe we could try only being assholes some of the time".

Oh no the joke for that particular post is that in a alterative timeline where white wolf is brought out by GW instead of Paradox and for subsequently leads to the werewolves completely saturate the WOD setting for whatever reasons. Maybe the writers has an easer time writing the garou since they so familiar, maybe some c-suit got it into they minds that since the company is named white wolf then they should focuse on the werewolves and finally since the werewolves have five forms then they can easly sell five times the figures for they inevitable table top wargame.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

TBH I can take or leave justification on paragraphs, and to my eyes having them unjustified is better than having the variable spacing that comes with justification.

Kurieg posted:

The original metaplot was to have The native american tribe that originally started with W slaughtered wholesale by the Get of Fenris who all became nazis again for some reason. Also their original name is kind of offensive and shouldn't be used. Also they fired the writer who revealed this information but still have his work in the final product uncredited.
e: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-and-the-anti-indigeneity-in-the-gaming-industry.912221/
Wow, that's grim.

Honestly, it's weird to me how much of a non-event W5 coming out has come across as - even factoring in this controversy it just hasn't made waves. I remember when Werewolf was part of the big three games along with Vampire and Mage but in both WoD and CofD it really doesn't seem to have had the staying power of those two.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think it's an element of the times. I have a feeling that the extremely angry ecoterrorist fantasy had more traction in the 90's cultural landscape, while nowadays we have more ecofascists muddying the waters. There were also more cool Werewolf movies in that decade, while I can't think of a single big one in the last ten years? Closest was Twilight where they were secondary to vampires and that was a long time ago.

Vampire was always order of magnitudes more popular than the other games and Vampires have stayed sexy and represented in media since the 90's. The 5th edition releases courting controversy (V5) or just being kinda boring (H5) probably killed a large part of the hype for W5 too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Honestly, it's weird to me how much of a non-event W5 coming out has come across as - even factoring in this controversy it just hasn't made waves. I remember when Werewolf was part of the big three games along with Vampire and Mage but in both WoD and CofD it really doesn't seem to have had the staying power of those two.

The only people who seem to have warmly received Woof 5 are the Paradox diehards and for that you have to go on the official Discord and who wants to do that. People keep digging up quote from Achilli on the Discord about how weirdly against anything but local games he was and how against he was any pre-made worldbuilding starting with "Your elders FAILED!" "How did they fail?" *Shrugging* It's as bland as Hunter and kind of worse since we know some of the details that went into creating Woof.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As someone who liked V5 for the most part and was pretty excited about Werewolf, I have barely been able to finish reading the book. It's fine for what it is I guess, but I don't really know if a source book or two will be able to pep it up.

Part of the problem, is I have very much moved to playing more social focused and less combat based rpgs over the years. And while I am sure you could tell some interesting stories about local tribal politics or something Vampire also exists.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The only people who seem to have warmly received Woof 5 are the Paradox diehards and for that you have to go on the official Discord and who wants to do that. People keep digging up quote from Achilli on the Discord about how weirdly against anything but local games he was and how against he was any pre-made worldbuilding starting with "Your elders FAILED!" "How did they fail?" *Shrugging* It's as bland as Hunter and kind of worse since we know some of the details that went into creating Woof.

Achilli is a loving burnt out hack who needs to stop making games

Let's not forget this is the guy who headed up Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I...

He also made Vampire: The Requiem. It's probably less a problem of him being a "loving burnt out hack" and more him not being invested in Masquerade, and games having a large overarching metaplot in general.

KOTEK was bad but It was bad because the concept was bad, "Special black vampires with special black vampire powers that get stronger based on how much of a racist stereotype you are" is a turd I don't think any author could polish.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I...

He also made Vampire: The Requiem. It's probably less a problem of him being a "loving burnt out hack" and more him not being invested in Masquerade, and games having a large overarching metaplot in general.

KOTEK was bad but It was bad because the concept was bad, "Special black vampires with special black vampire powers that get stronger based on how much of a racist stereotype you are" is a turd I don't think any author could polish.

Given what we know now about the line editor Karim I'm not sure how much to put on Achilli anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As someone who liked V5 for the most part and was pretty excited about Werewolf, I have barely been able to finish reading the book. It's fine for what it is I guess, but I don't really know if a source book or two will be able to pep it up.

Part of the problem, is I have very much moved to playing more social focused and less combat based rpgs over the years. And while I am sure you could tell some interesting stories about local tribal politics or something Vampire also exists.
Hearing about it, it kind of reminds me of Mage Revised where it was like 'gently caress you, nerd! You were playing wrong! You LOST the ascension war! Going into the spirit world FLAYS YOUR SOUL. You want to do something? Start a soup kitchen.'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
...I liked Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom, aside from the poo poo Orun/Aye mechanics. Unlike Kindred of the East, the author had at least read a wikipedia article about a couple of African countries (baby steps!).

I remember a cool geocities page with lots of nice fixes back in the day.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kurieg posted:

I...

To be fair, the last time he worked on nWoD books was 2009. "Achilli stopped being interested in metaplot in 2004" and "Achilli hasn't written anything interesting in over a decade" can both be true.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

On the one hand, I prefer games with a tight local focus than globetrotting stuff anyway.

On the other hand, that does seem like a curiosly CofD way of doing a WoD line.

And of all the game lines you'd expect to have a global focus, the one that's so about the apocalypse it mentioned it in its title ought to be that one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warthur posted:

On the one hand, I prefer games with a tight local focus than globetrotting stuff anyway.

On the other hand, that does seem like a curiosly CofD way of doing a WoD line.

And of all the game lines you'd expect to have a global focus, the one that's so about the apocalypse it mentioned it in its title ought to be that one.
Of all the lines, other than maybe Changeling, Werewolf seemed to be the one best suited for a 'road trip' style of chronicle but maybe that's the bad kind of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Of all the lines, other than maybe Changeling, Werewolf seemed to be the one best suited for a 'road trip' style of chronicle but maybe that's the bad kind of fun.

Yeah, they even encouraged it with moon bridges. Easiest thing in the world to zip off to the Amazon or the Sept of the Snow Leopard or wherever.