Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Beantown posted:

I don't think anyone has done more damage to the Anglosphere than this man. There is a direct correlation between his media empire and the rise of the far-right and climate change denial in the US, UK, and Australia (and, to an extent, Canada).

Midgly and Haber say hi. also a data point of two that chemist are just the worst. but yeah he's probably up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, the whole "based" system that people like Sneako advocate is aimed directly at teenagers, because the whole point is that you take the most-extreme stance possible on an issue, and then the fact that you refuse to back down in any way is supposed to make you cool. It's laser-targeted at edgelord teens, and while the majority of them will get over it, a non-zero percentage of them won't.

This is the entire Republican strategy right now, cater exclusively to bitter assholes who would do anything to feel like they "Owned" the last person they talked to

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you want to explode with rage, read Murdoch's goodbye letter to staff

https://twitter.com/aidnmclaughlin/status/1704846240645542019/photo/1

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I loving love the richest dozen men on the planet throwing around the word elites unironically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Less Fat Luke posted:

I loving love the richest dozen men on the planet throwing around the word elites unironically.
They really have a lot of gall

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is this another one of those words were they want to say jews but know it will get them in trouble?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

the moose posted:

Is this another one of those words were they want to say jews but know it will get them in trouble?

Yes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

the moose posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Pookah posted:

If you want to explode with rage, read Murdoch's goodbye letter to staff

https://twitter.com/aidnmclaughlin/status/1704846240645542019/photo/1

The billionaire owner of fox news is complaining about elites that control the media and push narratives? Does he realize he's describing himself?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Magic Underwear posted:

The billionaire owner of fox news is complaining about elites that control the media and push narratives? Does he realize he's describing himself?

Sorry, there was some punctuation missing from that letter. Turns out it should have been spelled (((elites))).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Magic Underwear posted:

A lot of them do this, actually. It's a tactic Karl Rove perfected where you accuse your "enemies" of doing exactly what it is that you are doing. It's why so many talk radio hosts and listeners refer to leftists as fascists.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/dbongino/status/1704852681989538103?t=ESsH8xDfDd0WDt3tDGqLMg&s=19

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Is the left in the room with us right now?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of them do this, actually. It's a tactic Karl Rove perfected where you accuse your "enemies" of doing exactly what it is that you are doing. It's why so many talk radio hosts and listeners refer to leftists as fascists.

That and the fact that most of the rubes who support them don't actually know what fascism is, that's my personal definition of a Nazi. A Nazi is a fascist who doesn't know that they are a fascist. Fits with the original definition which was based on the German word for idiot/country bumpkin, seems fitting.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
One thing I know for sure is that the Republican party has never been in favor of censorship or tyranny. Everyone knows madness is subjective and making sure people cannot see anything that goes against your views is the opposite of censorship!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, the whole "based" system that people like Sneako advocate is aimed directly at teenagers, because the whole point is that you take the most-extreme stance possible on an issue, and then the fact that you refuse to back down in any way is supposed to make you cool. It's laser-targeted at edgelord teens, and while the majority of them will get over it, a non-zero percentage of them won't.

Plus, I remember hearing "herd all gay people onto an island and then nuke it to get rid of AIDS" back in elementary school, so it's not like kids absorbing homophobia from adults is a particularly new phenomenon.

I work in a public-facing job and interact with families, and occasionally I'll talk to a teenager whose worldview is a copy-paste of their parents' one-dimensional worldview. For the barest of prompting, I will hear stuff like, "Society's acceptance of the rainbow lifestyle makes me SO angry!" [followed immediately by asking my religion] or bootlicking like, "I saw someone smoke pot outside and I threatened to call the cops on them, druggies should all go straight to jail."

Tom MacDonald seems to be a common denominator with modern adolescent poo poo-headery.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Right Wing Media: Rupert Murdock gives his spawn long awaited right to devour him.

All the kids he likes are jerks just as spiteful as he is so nothing will actually change.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A couple days ago, Hannity made too much sense. A caller on his radio show asked his take on the big strikes going on, Hannity brought up the common argument that CEO compensation has grown so much. His solution? If CEOs can tie their pay to performance, then so should the workers, with everyone in the company benefiting from increased profits.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Here's a simple scenario to demonstrate who Fox News thinks is the elite:

When Fox News founder Roger Ailes was working on the Mike Douglas Show, he tried to rape a teenage guest in the green room, threatening to use his connections to have her blacklist, and facing no consequences himself. He would then spend several decades trying to rape every woman on Earth, using Fox News as a mouthpiece to launder complaints about "triggered" teenage girls, and having a huge hand in electing an Epstein crony presidency, specifically promoting the idea that letting him get away with rape was good, actually. He finally got millions of severance when he was let go from Fox News.

In this scenario, the teenage girl is "the elite."

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 22, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The rot at Fox News is quite severe, it would have to be destroyed utterly to see any good come of anything, because everyone there is stupid on an almost tragic level. For example, the main reason that the company had to pay nearly a billion dollars to a voting machine company was because their guy in Legal, Viet Dinh, thought they could take it to the Supreme Court. Thus the case went to discovery, where it was lost immediately because all the Fox News hosts wrote that they were willfully lying in every other email.

Dinh was quietly soft-fired in August.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Says the guy with the nationally syndicated radio show. Obviously, he has been silenced by all the tyranny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The GOP is literally doing book bans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t believe there’s a man named Bongino.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

Says the guy with the nationally syndicated radio show. Obviously, he has been silenced by all the tyranny.

Tyranny is when a white man experiences a consiquence.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can’t believe there’s a man named Bongino.

How could a man with a last name that his frat house came up with be so unchill

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If true, this seems about right.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1705157558590169494?s=20

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

holy poo poo :lol:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just imagine Tucker did start producing propaganda pieces for a Russian TV channel and he was doing it fron a shed in his house in wherever he lives in America.

And that shortly after he starts, the Feds roll up to his door for some sort of offence for bypassing Russian money laundering laws.

That would be so funny. Particularly if it came out that Tucker is still so rich that he didn't need to take a paying job from anyone and just chose to do thisbas he can't stand not being on television.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it’s fine for Americans to work for Russian propaganda organs. Terrible cartoonist/terrible person Ted Rall does cartoons for Russia Today.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I often think about how in 2016, Trump just decided to start praising Putin on the campaign trail and I thought surely this is a bridge too far for conservative America. Now mainstream republicanism is just enthusiastically pro Russia

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dubar posted:

I often think about how in 2016, Trump just decided to start praising Putin on the campaign trail and I thought surely this is a bridge too far for conservative America. Now mainstream republicanism is just enthusiastically pro Russia

They like fascists, war and strong man types.

But you're right. Embracing Russia and the evangelicals acceptance of Trump are the two weirdest things to me about his MAGA cult. None of that makes any sense to me at all. They seem to just decide ahead of time what they like or think about anything and then work backwards to justify why they're right to do so. And any thread of consistency is virtually non-existent. Think about their reactions to 1/6 and how different that might be had the perpetrators been BLM or a bunch of democrats screaming about Biden and weird accusations of mass voter fraud.

It's loving bizarre.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 23, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
No matter how stupid I know they are, this is still confusing.

https://twitter.com/OMGno2trump/status/1672712532736237570

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a psychologist named Bob Altemeyer who proposed that people who behave like that actually are fundamentally different in their perceptions and understanding, and that they can be distinguished from everone else by exactly that sort of hypocrisy. He was writing pre-Trump, and I don’t know the current reception of his ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Altemeyer

I was persuaded when I read his popular book about it in the Obama years. The difference really does seem more fundamental than people just being more selfish or wanting to feel like they’re winning, and that’s partially because there have been times and places where people like that have been on the nominal left, like stalinists, people who deny China has violated human rights, etc. But it also seems like a cultural phenomenon, in that the people who are this way get there through a life of miserable neglect and stifling conformity, lack of education etc. There are certainly more of them than there used to be.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s a psychologist named Bob Altemeyer who proposed that people who behave like that actually are fundamentally different in their perceptions and understanding, and that they can be distinguished from everone else by exactly that sort of hypocrisy. He was writing pre-Trump, and I don’t know the current reception of his ideas:

I was persuaded when I read his popular book about it in the Obama years. The difference really does seem more fundamental than people just being more selfish or wanting to feel like they’re winning, and that’s partially because there have been times and places where people like that have been on the nominal left, like stalinists, people who deny China has violated human rights, etc. But it also seems like a cultural phenomenon, in that the people who are this way get there through a life of miserable neglect and stifling conformity, lack of education etc. There are certainly more of them than there used to be.

He put it up for free as a pdf some years back. I'm not in the field and I know it's gotten some pushback but I do think it's worth reading. He also posts followups there from time to time, most recently a few months ago.

https://theauthoritarians.org/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Again, I think it has everything to do with establishing the conclusion first, based on the fundamental idea that one can't be wrong about anything. Religion and the bible are great for this, where GOD can't be wrong, I love and believe in GOD, ergo: I, too, cannot be wrong. From there, one just force feeds facts (and non facts) into some kind of nebulous MAGA meat grinder that produces conservative mind sausage and people extrapolate ideas and opinions based on what comes out of that process. Combine that with the fundamental idea that being wrong = being weak to a large segment of these types and you got a lot of blatant hypocrisy born out of sheer stubbornness. It's part of why they love Trump. He's never wrong, admits fault or accepts blame.

Ever.

It reminds me of that FOX news chyron from the Bush era that read something like "High Gas Prices: GOOD for the Economy, Actually?" that suddenly becomes "Biden Administration Facing RECORD GAS PRICES" 4 or 6 years later. Or how the MAGA crew has turned so hard against voting rights and, of course, law enforcement and the FBI (while embracing Russia and Putin, like we're talking about). WE can't be criminals! Trump can't have broken the law since he loves America! Therefore, it must be selective prosecution and the cops are rooted in and corrupted by the all encompassing, nebulous concept of The Deep State (which is most often whatever they say it is or don't like and not based on any abject facts). Instead, it becomes "Holy poo poo! They've infiltrated law enforcement now!"

The proof of concept and validation come first, followed by a bunch of truly weird mental gymnastics to make it all fit along with a lot of utterly ridiculous conclusions about pretty much any topic or issue. Granted, a lot of non conservatives do this as well (sometimes I catch myself doing it) but I don't think any of it is on the scale of what FOX and talk radio does every hour of every day as a matter of course. Zero self reflection takes place in these circles.

They also seem to really, REALLY like things to be simple. Work hard = make money. Don't commit crimes = never harassed by cops or get a ticket. Go to church every Sunday = go to heaven. Fly a flag = Good American Patriot. Take a life = end yours. Abstinence Only = no abortions (which is murder).

Further, all of this poo poo they get up to is 100% what they think CNN, the NYT and MSNBC do constantly so they see RWM as a counter to that and the other side of the same coin so it's balanced now. But it's just not, simply because you need your own version of the news/social media/comedy/wikipedia/yoga, etc.

I see and hear all the time from RWM about stories that THE MSM WON'T COVER or tell me about yet, oddly and invariably, I know about all of them. And it's not because I'm getting my info from right wing sources. Rather, the AP, Yahoo News, CNN and every other aggregate news outlet has, in fact, covered that all of poo poo rather extensively. Just maybe not often enough and with as much vigor as Sean Hannity gives to Hunter Biden and his Pandora's Laptop 8 hours a day.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

I see and hear all the time from RWM about stories that THE MSM WON'T COVER or tell me about yet, oddly and invariably, I know about all of them.
One fun thing I've noticed that shuts these idiots up briefly is when they throw out "radical leftist Democrats", I throw out a huge loving list of actual radical leftist demands that gets no MSN coverage or Democrat support.

Edit: I made such a list here if someone wants to search my posts for the words radical leftist and link that one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OgNar posted:

No matter how stupid I know they are, this is still confusing.

https://twitter.com/OMGno2trump/status/1672712532736237570

One of the worst things about people like this is their smug self-satisfaction. They are so stupid and so proud of it. But they are too stupid to understand how stupid they are so it's like this perpetual motion machine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Time to reshare the endlessly apposite Sartre quote:

quote:

How can one choose to reason falsely? It is because of a longing for impenetrability. The rational man groans as he gropes for the truth; he knows that his reasoning is no more than tentative, that other considerations may supervene to cast doubt on it. He never sees very clearly where he is going; he is "open"; he may even appear to be hesitant. But there are people who are attracted by the durability of a stone. They wish to be massive and impenetrable; they wish not to change. Where, indeed, would change take them? We have here a basic fear of oneself and of truth. What frightens them is not the content of truth, of which they have no conception, but the form itself of truth, that thing of indefinite approximation. It is as if their own existence were in continual suspension.

But they wish to exist all at once and right away. They do not want any acquired opinions; they want them to be innate. Since they are afraid of reasoning, they wish to lead the kind of life wherein reasoning and research play only a subordinate role, wherein one seeks only what he has already found, wherein one becomes only what he already was. This is nothing but passion. Only a strong emotional bias can give a lightning‐like certainty; it alone can hold reason in leash; it alone can remain impervious to experience and last for a whole lifetime.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The anti fascist commercial out.
Which is starting to get some exposure.

https://twitter.com/MissnDemocracy/status/1704110592212996441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OgNar posted:

The anti fascist commercial out.
Which is starting to get some exposure.

https://twitter.com/MissnDemocracy/status/1704110592212996441

This feels like it was run past the lawyer’s office a few too many times. “Maga republican fascism”? Why not try to be pithy, confrontational, or memorable in any way? It reminds me of the ads the mormons would run on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.